PDA

View Full Version : 23 days?

Yukon
01-27-2010, 09:27
So my fiancee and I are going to do an End-to-End this summer. The original plan was to take four weeks off and do it but my job outlook for the summer looks pretty intense so I'm going to try and fit it into three weeks instead. The plan would be to start on friday afternoon after work, (we only live about an hour from the Pine Cobble trail) and hike into Seth Warner for the night. From there we would have 23 days to get to Canada. We are both in good to very good physical shape, have no problems hiking long days, and just love to be out there. I'm looking for experiences from other people that have completed the trail in this amount of time and what they thought of it. Will it be too much of a rush or will we still be able to relax and enjoy the trail. I think it will be fine, but I just like to here different stories I guess.

Thanks in advance :)

Lone Wolf
01-27-2010, 09:31
12 miles per day. no days off

A-Train
01-27-2010, 09:34
No problem. This is plenty of time. At least for my style. I did it in 17-18 days and it was fine. Pack light (resupply often and quickly). Take a nero or two instead of a full zero. There is water everywhere.

Anyway, the mosquitoes might keep you on schedule, depending what time of summer.

Have fun

Yukon
01-27-2010, 09:37
I should mention it will be NOBO starting on either August 13th or August 27th, haven't made the final decision between those two yet.

RollingStone
01-27-2010, 11:08
It's easy to do as the southern 140 miles are pretty easy. You start getting into a little more redundant up and down terrain after you pass Brandon Gap. Your timeframe is a good time frame HOWEVER - be aware that you may possibly run into college orientation groups rather frequently around that timeframe.

RollingStone
01-27-2010, 11:09
You can also check out www.longtrailhiking.info for end to end information in the form of a free guidebook.

Johnny Thunder
01-27-2010, 13:09
Start the 27th. It won't be "cold" just a bit chilly...which helps with the quick days up North. Believe it or not I walked into Johnson on a 105 degree day this August. If you can average 13 to 15 up to Brandon gap it'll give you some wiggle room. Just try to avoid the long hitches and go in/out of town quickly. Middlebury is a long hitch but they might be running the college buses by the time you get up there.

Plus, the later you go the sooner the college kids will be back at school. Don't worry about them...there're a lot of camping opportunities in the Southern stretch so you can avoid them.

Kerosene
01-27-2010, 13:23
Shouldn't be a problem to finish within 23 days. My 16-year old newbie brother and I did it SOBO in August '79 with too-heavy packs in 27 elapsed days, including 2 zeros and 2 other days of less than 5 miles. It rained at least an hour on 20 of those days, and the temperature dropped from over 100 degrees atop Little Jay to below freezing atop Camels Hump 9 days later. I still have fond memories of the northern half. Enjoy!

Mags
01-27-2010, 19:12
23 days is very doable. I did it in 18 days many moons ago with a heavy pack, no long distance hiking experience, and being in worse shape than I am in now. :)

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2010, 19:15
23 days is fine. Just be aware that when thinking about your daily mileage "average", you may start out a little under it, and you may finish that way, too. Reserve sufficient time for the northern third of your trip, parts of which are quite strenuous.

Jester2000
01-27-2010, 19:17
I hiked it about this time frame. It's plenty of time -- you'll do fine. Enjoy!

Cookerhiker
01-27-2010, 19:32
Although I took longer in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248), that was by choice. I'm sure you'll do fine. Echoing Jack's advice, I'd allow extra time in the north, particularly for the stretch from Appalachian Gap (Rt. 17) to Smugglers Notch. In addition to slow going up and down the Camels Hump and Mansfield massifs, you'll want to enjoy the views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks which actually start at Mt. Abraham on the Lincoln Ridge. If your timing works out, spend a night at Butler Lodge which is cut into the westward-facing slope of Mansfield and affords gorgeous views of Champlain and hope for a great sunset.

While Killington is the 2nd highest peak in VT, the AT/LT hiking up the Killington massif is relatively easy.

One tidbit about the north: Haystack Mountain has more false summits than any mountain I can think of north of Cheoah Bald in NC! Tidbit #2 - enjoy Devil's Gulch - it's the VT LT version of Mahoosuc Notch.

Yukon
01-27-2010, 19:57
Yeah I'm not real worried about the whole thing, we have enough miles under our belts now to know what we can handle. I was just looking for different feedback from people on their experiences and what not. I appreciate everyone posting up that has so far. We are really looking forward to the time out on the trail. We have been wanting to do this hike for awhile now and things are finally lining up for it to happen.

Yukon
02-03-2010, 10:12
Just got the approval from work for the time off so I'm all set, just waiting to here from the little ladies employer, but it shouldn't be an issue. We are starting on August 13th so that we actually get an extra day to hike because of ending on Labor Day, which we both have off from work. So that makes it 24 days instead. Well actually 24.5 since we will be starting in the afternoon of the 13th. Can't wait to get out there, though it's 6 months away lol...

Tinker
06-14-2010, 00:10
I just worked out my tentative stops and it came out to 24 days, maybe one or two less. I don't want to rush it (did plenty of that my first time through in sections).

stranger
06-14-2010, 02:17
My first LT thru was 26 days (4 zeros) and it was fairly relaxed, we often got to shelters around 2:30-3:00pm, this was also my first long-distance hike. So 23-24 days is a nice hike, not rushed at all from my experience.

Remember, like others have said, the Long Trail from Killington to Canada is far more difficult than the southern 100 miles, and certainly more difficult than anything along the AT south of NH in my opinon.

Going nobo, many hikers find it's like hitting a wall, and it takes a few days to adjust to the new terrain. It's not just the up and downs, but mud, rocks, roots and seemingly always wet trail. By going south, you would feel much stronger when you got to the AT, most nobo's never find their stride, as the trail gets harder as you move north, although the last 50 miles or so are easier than the middle section.

In the middle of the trail I would recommend going into Waitsfield or Bristol to resupply, thus eliminating the heavy carry from Route 4 to Jonesville, a rough 80 or so miles. This is in addition to resupplying at the standard places:
- Manchester Center
- Rutland or a drop at the Inn @LT
- Jonesville PO or Richmond
- Johnson

It's an amazing hike, have fun!

Yukon
06-14-2010, 08:27
Thanks for more input guys, we are psyched to head out there. My fiancee got her approval so we are all set. We have been doing a lot of dayhiking/peakbagging and have been out for a few nights. We have a busy summer until the hike so it should fly by, hopefully. we have been going back and forth about the heavy carry from Rt.4 to Jonesville and I have been really thinking that it would probably be easier to just stop in Waitsfield, I just don't know how easy it is to get a hitch into town. It's a long road walk. Do most people stay at the Hyde away inn around that area? Does anyone offer a shuttle in Waitsfield?

Quoddy
06-14-2010, 08:59
I just don't know how easy it is to get a hitch into town. It's a long road walk. Do most people stay at the Hyde away inn around that area? Does anyone offer a shuttle in Waitsfield?
It's an easy hitch into Waitsfield from the trail head at Appalachian Gap. The Hyde Away Inn is the area's usual stop for LT hikers, accepts resupply packages, and is relatively inexpensive for the area. I splurged and stayed at the Millbrook Inn (http://www.millbrookinn.com/) on the western edge of Waitsfield and was joined by Windtalker and Mom at that location. Be aware that the Hyde Away is on the western outskirts of Waitsfield and it's a long walk into town.

Yukon
06-14-2010, 09:13
It's an easy hitch into Waitsfield from the trail head at Appalachian Gap. The Hyde Away Inn is the area's usual stop for LT hikers, accepts resupply packages, and is relatively inexpensive for the area. I splurged and stayed at the Millbrook Inn (http://www.millbrookinn.com/) on the western edge of Waitsfield and was joined by Windtalker and Mom at that location. Be aware that the Hyde Away is on the western outskirts of Waitsfield and it's a long walk into town.

Thanks for the info buddy! See you soon hopefully :)

10 o'clock
06-14-2010, 21:36
I agree on resuppling in Waitsfield. I hit Rutland, Waitsfield, and Johnson on my hike last fall and found that worked great for me.

vonfrick
06-14-2010, 21:42
Just got the approval from work for the time off so I'm all set, just waiting to here from the little ladies employer, but it shouldn't be an issue. We are starting on August 13th so that we actually get an extra day to hike because of ending on Labor Day, which we both have off from work. So that makes it 24 days instead. Well actually 24.5 since we will be starting in the afternoon of the 13th. Can't wait to get out there, though it's 6 months away lol...

well that settles it. we make a right. see ya out there :)

btw, 24 days is perfect...the hydeaway inn in waitsfield are great people. about 90 bucks last year, but a great bar, food, cute suite-style rooms and they'll do your laundry FOR you!! which is saying a lot considering how nasty i was when i showed up there last year!! i plan on stopping again.

Yukon
06-15-2010, 07:35
well that settles it. we make a right. see ya out there :)

btw, 24 days is perfect...the hydeaway inn in waitsfield are great people. about 90 bucks last year, but a great bar, food, cute suite-style rooms and they'll do your laundry FOR you!! which is saying a lot considering how nasty i was when i showed up there last year!! i plan on stopping again.

Awesome, hope to see you and wargy out there!

nevets
06-24-2010, 23:19
In the norther sections, shelters are often spaced 6-8 miles apart. You'll have a nice shelter for a lunch spot, and hit the second one for a 14 mile day, which will be tough. My advice would be to pack on some extra miles on the AT/LT, esp. around Stratton, north of Bromley, and leading up to Killington. Shelters are often closer together so you can often do an extra 4 miles without a problem. Some of my favorite spots to hit: Goddard Shelter, Spruce Peak Shelter, Whistle Stop Cafe at Clarendon Gorge, Inn At Long Trail, Skyline Lodge, Montclair Glen, Duck Brook, Butler Lodge, Taft Lodge, Sterling Pond/Whiteface Shelter, Roundtop, Hazen's Notch Camp, Camp on Jay Peak/Laura Woodard. Enjoy your trip!

NorthCountryWoods
06-30-2010, 15:56
Did it once in the 90s in 20 days (2 zeros) and again in 03 in 17 days (1 nero). We had time restraints the second time or I would have stretched it to 23-25 days. You get to enjoy more things on and off the trail if you go slower.

23 days is about perfect. Should give you days off to explore and time to check out some side trails.