PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this route?

Black bear
01-27-2010, 09:30
Planning on going out in February. Starting out at Elkmont and ending up at Fontana dam.

Day one: Little River trail --> Goshen Prong---> Double Spring gap shelter ~11.1 mi
Day two: AT--> Welch ridge tr--> Hazel Creek Tr--> campsite 83 or 84
~11.7 mi
Day three: Hazel creek tr--> Lakeshore Tr--> campsite 90
~10 mi
Day four: Lost cove tr--> AT--> Fontana dam and out
~7 mi

Thanks for the input!

Ox97GaMe
01-27-2010, 12:16
That is a very managable schedule. A couple things to be aware of....

In Feb, you can get a lot of rain or a lot of snow. Either may make hiking considerably more difficult.
a) rainy weather may cause parts of Goshen Prong to be flooded. There are ways to get around most of the trail that is close to the creek. Be careful if it is extremely high water. you will know when you are hiking along Little Creek, or check with the rangers at Elkmont.

b) heavy snow or strong cold wind may be an issue on the AT between Double Springs and Welch Ridge. you are basically running the top of the ridge through there and very exposed. Snow tends to drift in that area, so you might be postholing for a ways until you get to the hazel Creek trail junction.

Not sure why you are coming up Lost Cove to Shuckstack. Unless it is a nice day, and you want a view from the fire tower, or you are working on your 900 miler. I would suggest other campsite options your last two nights so that you could enjoy Bone Valley or a side trip over to the ghost town of Proctor, while you are that far in the backcountry.

Black bear
01-27-2010, 15:00
Thanks for the reply, great info. Can you suggest some alternate campsites? Also, how do I get to Proctor. I definitely want to see it while I'm out there. I am from Knoxville too, GO VOLS!!

SGT Rock
01-27-2010, 15:52
I'm not fond of campsite 90. I'd go up the hill to 91.

Ashepabst
01-27-2010, 17:16
the Procter ruins i remember are along Hazel Creek Trail, just north of the Lakeshore Trail intersection. it's been awhile since i've gone far up Hazel Creek... don't recall what the sites are like. here are some campsite pics, though: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554540691JkARXZ?start=132

i stayed at 86, near the lake on Hazel just this past October... it's nice... very private campsites.

bulldog49
01-27-2010, 17:50
the Procter ruins i remember are along Hazel Creek Trail, just north of the Lakeshore Trail intersection. it's been awhile since i've gone far up Hazel Creek... don't recall what the sites are like. here are some campsite pics, though: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554540691JkARXZ?start=132

i stayed at 86, near the lake on Hazel just this past October... it's nice... very private campsites.

I encountered a large pack of wild hogs when I last went past Proctor. Saw some wild turkeys in the area as well.

Ox97GaMe
01-27-2010, 18:06
I couldnt remember if Proctor was along Hazel Creek or along Lakeshore. It has been a few years since I was in that area of the park. The park has actually closed down one of the trails that used to be in that area. I remember reading about that 4 or 5 years ago. It was sort of the shortcut to get to the remote area of Lakeshore without having to go up to Jenkins Ridge and Hazel Creek trail junctions.

jorhawle
01-28-2010, 22:15
That sounds like almost the exact same route I'm taking in late March...only starting at Fontana and ending at Elkmont! I would love to know how your hike goes...can you please post a review or PM me? Thank-you so much!

Egads
01-28-2010, 22:30
I'm not fond of campsite 90. I'd go up the hill to 91.

I second this. 90 gets really crowded

I couldnt remember if Proctor was along Hazel Creek or along Lakeshore. It has been a few years since I was in that area of the park. The park has actually closed down one of the trails that used to be in that area. I remember reading about that 4 or 5 years ago. It was sort of the shortcut to get to the remote area of Lakeshore without having to go up to Jenkins Ridge and Hazel Creek trail junctions.

Proctor was at the Lakeshore trail crossing of Hazel Creek

full conditions
02-03-2010, 13:15
The Lost Cove Trail crosses the creek it parallels at least a half dozen times and if the water is high (and its likely to be in Feb.) you can count on thigh deep fords - and afterwards the trail just becomes brutally steep before it connects with the AT. On the other hand, C.S.#91 is much nicer than #90 and, if the weather is cooperative, the views from Shuckstack are wonderful.

jorhawle
02-03-2010, 14:22
Actually, here is my itinerary...camp site numbers anyways...a pretty messed up route, but should be fun nonetheless....
Fontana to Lost Cove to #88....to #83....to #75....to #68....to # 23...to Elkmont