PDA

View Full Version : A.T. aftermath of Hurricanes

Flash Hand
09-18-2004, 02:35
I was extremely concerned about the aftermath on the Appalachian Trail after the remanant of Hurricane Ivan. Ivan had washed out some roads, bridges and down so many trees. I was wondering about Opal and Isabel. Did the hikers have troubles finding the trail due to washed out or struggle with downed trees? Will the trail be closed in GSMNP because of the loose trees? Will class of 2005 be able to hike next year despite the washed out or downed trees? I need to hear your experiences on aftermath of Isabel and or other hurricanes that put toll on A.T.

The reasons I need to know because I plan to buy various of plane tickets, hiking equipment, maps, et al., for the 2005 thru hike. I don't want to invest into something that I cannot put them in use.

I was overwhelmly glad that New Orleans was unscathed by Ivan, so that I will know there will be good Mardi Gras celebration in February.

I do feel bad for the unfortunate people in Florida, and flooded area in North Carolina. I did offer my help but found out that I must take classes with Red Cross and doesnt provided a shelter or food for volunteer. So, Im stuck out here in Connecticut.

Anxiously to hear from you guys.

Flash Hand :jump

Needles
09-18-2004, 03:00
I hiked just north of Hot Springs a couple of weeks after Opal went through, most of the trail had been cleared at that point and it was quite obvious that the trail maintainers had put in a ton of really hard work. What made this so obvious was the areas that hadn't been cleared. In those areas the trail was a bit difficult to follow, luckily the trail followed the top of the ridges for the most part where the conditions were the worst so we just tried to stay as close to the top as we could and never got too far off. But it was very slow going. The only time I have seen the trail worse was in 97 when I left the campground in Erwin the morning after a tornado (at least we all think it was a tornado) went through the area. That day it took me 3 hours to make a half a mile before I gave up and went back to the campground. There were litterally walls of downed trees crossing the trail, but this was before any maintainers had a chance to work their chainsaw magic.

Of course I have no way of knowing how hard Ivan was on the trail, but if I had to guess things will be fine by next year. There is time for things to get cleared out and to make the trail hikeable. Sure, there will probably be relos and I doubt a thru-hike in 05 will be the same as a thru-hike in 04, but I really doubt that Ivan was tougher than the trail volunteers.

kncats
09-18-2004, 07:21
My wife and I hiked in Shenandoah National Park last year about seven weeks after Hurricane Isabel went through there. The work done by the National Park Service, the PATC and numerous other volunteers was truly impressive. We didn't see any part of the AT that was still blocked by blowdowns. We hiked quite a few miles on the side trails also and even many miles off of the more heavily traveled areas the trees had been cleared from the trails.

The only area we went through that wasn't completely open were portions of the Limberlost Trail that had been particularly hard hit. Also, about half of the designated camp sites at Bear Fence Hut were roped off due to either having trees fallen on them or leaning dangerously over them.

The level of effort put in by the people who maintain our trail was amazing and we'd really like to thank those who spend the time and put in the work to make it possible for the rest of us to get out into the woods. With the dedication we've seen from the trail maintainers in the past I doubt that it will be long before any ravages from Ivan will only be evident as freshly cut logs along the side of the trail.

bearbait2k4
09-18-2004, 14:13
If you are worried about the hurricane damage obstructing your 2005 hike, then stop worrying.

The trail will be fine by the time you get out there.

Flash Hand
09-18-2004, 16:09
If you are worried about the hurricane damage obstructing your 2005 hike, then stop worrying.

The trail will be fine by the time you get out there.

now I am. The stories going on in Florida that clean up would take weeks and months. It make me think that it applies the same to A.T. community.

If there by any chance I saw the crew cleaning up next year during our hike, I will chip in my time and help them.

Flash Hand :jump

bearbait2k4
09-18-2004, 16:24
Well, there is a lot of red tape to break through when cleaning up a city, or a state, after a natural disaster occurence.

While there is still red tape in regards to wilderness clean-up, you will find that a lot of this is taken care of through the efforts of volunteers, and there is no worry about the middle-men (insurance companies) getting in the way to stall these efforts.

There is a thing called hard-core every year, organized in the Tennessee area after Trail Days, which allows hikers that sign up for it to give a little back to the trail by doing relocations and maintenance in the area. Bob Peoples, at the Kincorra hostel in Tennessee, helps organize it, and the sign-up usually goes on during Trail Days. You should check that out if you would like to do a little for the trail while on the hike.

MedicineMan
09-26-2004, 00:01
Last week we ended up our western trip at the N. rim of the Grand Canyon, and while hiking less than 50yards from a controlled burn I wondered if the AT doesnt need a fire every now and then...seems like you either clear out the brush or eventually get a super fire that burns millions of acres.......

flatlander
09-26-2004, 09:41
As a member of the Smoky Mtn Hiking club and A.T maintainer, I can assure you that clubs all through the trail will be working feverishly to prepare the trail for the upcoming thru-hiker season. Trail Maintenance and new projects never end.
It is truly amazing an network of volunteers that make up the finest trail system in America. If you want to find out more about each clubs current activitiy on the trail, go to the appalachiantrail.org and click on the states link. Good Luck, and maybe I will See you on Springer. I will be starting My thru-hike by section next year.

orangebug
09-26-2004, 10:58
Last week we ended up our western trip at the N. rim of the Grand Canyon, and while hiking less than 50yards from a controlled burn I wondered if the AT doesnt need a fire every now and then...seems like you either clear out the brush or eventually get a super fire that burns millions of acres.......
I think that Max Patch is routinely burned each fall to keep it bald. We've had fires on Blood Mountain during the worst of the drought. There have been some major fires in the Southern Apps, with at a memorial to a slain firefighter north of NOC. I think there was a fire that closed a portion of NY's AT about 5 years ago.

I just don't think we have the dry millions of acres that you'll find at the Grand Canyon or other Western parks.

anneandbenhike
09-27-2004, 09:23
My husband and I hiked South from Buena Vista, VA to Rt. 220 before, during, and after Ivan hit. The ridge tops were the worst hit and the trail almost disappeared with leaves and limbs. There were many trees downed but none that we could not get by. We hiked through the day along the top of Cove Mountain and had at least 8" of rain (two woman hawk-watching on the BRP the day after told us that is what Roanoke had). We spent those next two days clearing any branches that we could move, leaving the big stuff to trail crews who were surely out very soon after. No bridges were out but the streams had clearly been WAY out of their banks and I doubt we could have crossed during the height of the rains. This past weekend we hiked North from VA 624 to Rt. 220, Troutville, and although you could tell that there had been a big storm two weeks ago, there was only one large tree that we had to completely go around. The rest were small enough to step over, and there were not that many. None of these hurricanes will probably affect the next through hiking season. The trail crews are awesome all along the trails. :)

Jersey Bob
09-27-2004, 21:23
at least 10 characters

Sleepy the Arab
09-28-2004, 19:36
The aftermath of Floyd! (http://home.earthlink.net/~mbowlersta/states/nhme/floyd1.jpg) Ripped through in 1999, and killed a guy on Lafayette. The morbid part was that three of my friends got their work for stay at Greenleaf Hut by moving the body to a spot for helicopter pick up....and then deflecting any wayward tourists from it.

Nightwalker
09-29-2004, 07:29
Can't say about the AT, but I was on the Bartram last week, and it was a mess.

One area will have to be totally re-routed because of an apparent tornado touch-down. Almost ALL of the trees for a 1/2 mile circle were down a little ways north into GA, right after a washed away bridge.

Another trashed bridge near War Woman Dell, and also near there, a tree fell downhill and took a section of trail with it.

Overall, my speed was cut more than half because of all of the bushwhacking required.

Frank

Youngblood
09-29-2004, 10:29
Can't say about the AT, but I was on the Bartram last week, and it was a mess.

One area will have to be totally re-routed because of an apparent tornado touch-down. Almost ALL of the trees for a 1/2 mile circle were down a little ways north into GA, right after a washed away bridge.

Another trashed bridge near War Woman Dell, and also near there, a tree fell downhill and took a section of trail with it.

Overall, my speed was cut more than half because of all of the bushwhacking required.

Frank

Frank, how much of the trail did you see?

I went up to Hogpen Gap (37 miles north of Springer) and Wildcat Mountain on the AT yesterday. I meet two fellows who where backpacking from Springer to Fontana Dam. They said that people have been working on the trail and have done some work except for the section between Gooch Gap (16 miles from Springer) and Woody Gap (20 miles from Springer). They were confident they could make it to Fontana and said that while there are blowdowns to deal with, that they had not had to remove their 40+ pound packs to get by any of the blowdowns thus far.

Youngblood

Brushy Sage
09-29-2004, 12:37
From the reports I'm seeing, it appears the Bartram and Mountains to Sea trails had many more blowdowns than the AT. The AT maintainers in this area are surveying the damage in their sections, and work will be scheduled as required.

Nightwalker
09-29-2004, 14:18
Frank, how much of the trail did you see?

YoungbloodAbout 30 miles, from Oconee State Park to War Woman Dell. The SC side was not bad, but the GA section really got hammered.

What the hey, going out again next week, SOMEWHERE. Now that I'm physically able to hike again, I'm gonna do all I can. :)

Youngblood
09-29-2004, 14:38
About 30 miles, from Oconee State Park to War Woman Dell. The SC side was not bad, but the GA section really got hammered.

What the hey, going out again next week, SOMEWHERE. Now that I'm physically able to hike again, I'm gonna do all I can. :)

That section on the Georgia side shares trailway with the Chattooga Trail for about ten of the twenty miles of the Chattooga Trail on the Georgia side. When I hiked the Chattooga Trail a couple of years back I was amazed at the number and quality of footbridges that had been built. It seems they averaged about 2 footbridges per mile.

So, where you headed to next week?

Youngblood

BlackCloud
09-29-2004, 15:54
Was on the AT just so. of the James River in Central VA this past weekend (9/25-6) & there was only one sizable blowdown. Trail thru there looked fine.:sun

Brushy Sage
09-29-2004, 16:03
Not sure where this belongs: I'm getting word from ATC and Carolina Mtn Club that the AT celebration scheduled for Oct 2 in Hot Springs has been cancelled. So anyone who had planned to attend and has reservations might want to call and get clarification. I don't know whether this is due to damage from the recent storms or other reasons.

Whiz Kid
09-29-2004, 17:38
I finished my sobo thru-hike on Sept. 19 and I left Franklin NC the day after the brunt of Ivan had past through the area. It was a mess, within the first ten miles I had gotten to the point of crawling on my hands and knees under some of the blow-downs. One twenty foot section of the trail was complete washed out in a landslide. So I'd say initailly the trail was a diaster zone, but over my final three days I met a number of other hikers, one ridge runner and two trail amintainers out assessing damage and clearing the trail the best they could. I'm positive by the time you're out the trail will be in good shape, so good luck!

Nightwalker
09-29-2004, 22:30
So, where you headed to next week?

YoungbloodRight now I'm thinking of starting at Jones Gap SP, then to Caesar's Head to Sassafras, across the Jocassee Gorges part of the Foothills trail (the Gorges are the hardest thirty miles that I regularly walk).

From there, I don't know. I'm just lovin' life these days.

For the longest time, I'd go no more than a couple of weeks between overnighters, at least. This year, however, was "the Summer that I had the headache," and I went SIX MONTHS doing nothing more than an occasional day hike. It's good to have my life back! (God is good :D)

On the "busted head" thang, to Lone Wolf: The stroke issues get better after awhile. The memory gets better, and you stop getting "lost" in parking lots and stuff--after my second one, I hunted for a car I hadn't had for YEARS at the K-mart one afternoon; I learned to park all the way at the back of the lot.

It all gets better, but you'll always be brain-damaged. :)

You know, maybe no one'll notice!!! heheh...

Frank