PDA

View Full Version : Pack

GeneralLee10
01-27-2010, 19:30
Removing the lid, I know how it is done but my question is. The straps that hold the lid on are you cutting them off at the base? The reason I ask is I'm really not sure if I would like to cut up a 200 dollar pack just to remove the lid for weight savings. Is there or do any of you know of a way that it can be done without cutting the straps? Thank you:)

Pack is a Gregory z65

GeneralLee10
01-27-2010, 21:07
Apparently this must have been a foolish question. Being I have not got any responses.:-?

Don H
01-27-2010, 21:35
How much weight do you think you're going to save cutting those straps off? I'd leave them on and try it for awhile. You might decide you like the lid and want to put it back on, or you might want to sell it. What's it worth with the straps cut off?

Slosteppin
01-27-2010, 21:45
Removing the lid, I know how it is done but my question is. The straps that hold the lid on are you cutting them off at the base? The reason I ask is I'm really not sure if I would like to cut up a 200 dollar pack just to remove the lid for weight savings. Is there or do any of you know of a way that it can be done without cutting the straps? Thank you:)

Pack is a Gregory z65

I don't know about the Z65. I have a Z55. On my Z55 the lid can be unbuckled leaving a short strap and the buckles. I have carried the pack both with and without the top lid. I have also taken the top off and used it for a fanny pack. Personally I would not cut off the straps. I would buy a lighter weight pack before I would do permanent damage to my expensive pack.

Slosteppin

GeneralLee10
01-27-2010, 21:54
This is what I was thinking Slo. To cut them would totally waste the pack so that is why I was asking. The weight can not be that much of a difference. I have read and over heard people talking about cutting/trimming the straps. Thought that is not such a good idea like Don said what if I want to sell the pack in the future. Thanks Guys

JustaTouron
01-27-2010, 22:03
This is what I was thinking Slo. To cut them would totally waste the pack so that is why I was asking. The weight can not be that much of a difference. I have read and over heard people talking about cutting/trimming the straps. Thought that is not such a good idea like Don said what if I want to sell the pack in the future. Thanks Guys

I would leave the straps on.

There is a fine line between UL and OCD.

UL - replacing your 20lb canvas tent with a 3 lb nylon one;
OCD - replacing your 4 gram tent pegs with ones weighing 3.5 grams and costing $17 each.

UL - replacing your 8lb backpack with one weighing 4 lbs.
OCD - cutting .1 oz straps off of said backpack.

mister krabs
01-28-2010, 08:50
I can remove my lid on my old gregory without cutting anything because the pack has ladderlocks at the top of the pack that the straps from the lid attach to. If you can't remove it without cutting, then make it so you can. I'd cut the straps, but leave them an inch or so long so that you can later have ladderlocks sewn on the stubs. I doubt it would cost you 10 bucks to get done at an alteration place. You'll be able to take it off and put it on at will after that. It will save the value of your pack and make it more versatile.

mister krabs
01-28-2010, 08:54
My bad, I just reread your post and it sounds like your lid is removable without cutting the straps, but you were wondering if you should cut off the attaching buckles on the top of the pack and their short straps.

I wouldn't.