PDA

View Full Version : Tarps and rain

10-K
01-27-2010, 21:49
If you're just using a tarp, it's raining and the ground is soaked - what do you do for a floor? Do you carry some sort of groundsheet?

BrianLe
01-27-2010, 21:54
Groundsheet and/or bivy. I like using a polychro groundsheet even if I do have a bivy, lets me spread stuff out without it getting dirty/muddy/wet.

Chip
01-27-2010, 22:06
I gather and put leaves under my ground sheet. This adds a buffer from the cold ground and any water that might flow under the ground sheet.:)

bigcranky
01-27-2010, 22:54
Well, yeah, a groundsheet is a good idea under a tarp. That or a bivy.

Compass
01-27-2010, 23:03
Tyvek is another popular ground cloth material. Very puncture resistant and is breathable so it can dry folded up but very slowly.

10-K
01-28-2010, 05:16
Well, yeah, a groundsheet is a good idea under a tarp. That or a bivy.

I realize it was a question with an obvious answer....

I was thinking that if I got in a place where I couldn't put up a hammock I would have a tarp and could use that and wanted to get some idea of how to deal with rain and wet ground and a tarp.

When I'm hiking one of the things I like to do is play "what if" and run various scenarios through my head... "What if I had to sleep here?", "What if I had to make a fire here?",
"What if I got sick here?" etc. etc. Just one of the quirky things I do to pass the time... :)

bigcranky
01-28-2010, 08:52
I realize it was a question with an obvious answer....

I was thinking that if I got in a place where I couldn't put up a hammock I would have a tarp and could use that and wanted to get some idea of how to deal with rain and wet ground and a tarp.

Yeah, it did seem like a Duh question.

Seriously, though, when I hammock I carry a Gossamer Gear Polycro groundsheet. It's less than 2 ounces and surprisingly durable. If I have to sleep in a shelter or go to ground it comes in handy, and it does double duty for packing up in the morning. I can lay out my gear on the dry ground sheet while packing and organizing.