PDA

View Full Version : White Plains, NY to the AT

JEBjr
01-28-2010, 19:25
Just discovered I can fly to New York for about what it would cost me to drive to Western part of my own state. :) It appears the AT is relatively close to White Plains, anyone with thoughts on this section of the trail.

YoungMoose
01-28-2010, 20:15
Its about a hour drive from white plains. I assume your talking about White Plains Airport. I flew out of white plains airport to go to yellowstone this summer. it was really quick. I would do that and get a taxi ride to bear mountian. I dont know the public transportation from there.

Old Grouse
01-28-2010, 20:31
I'd be surprised to find you could fly so cheaply into White Plains, but if so, then go for it. I'd take a taxi into central WP, jump on the train (Harlem Division of Metro North) and get off in either Pawling (weekdays) or the AT Station just north of there (on weekends). And voila, you're on the trail.

JEBjr
01-28-2010, 20:35
Air Tran is advertising 68 one way from Raleigh, so I could actually drive across the state for less but not much. And it is definitely to White Plains, NY. It looked closer than an hour on the map, but I guess an hour in that area might not be very far. :)

Thanks for the tips.

YoungMoose
01-28-2010, 23:51
I live in peekskill and it took me 45minutes at 4am when the roads were empty. From my house its 15minutes top from the trail. heres the google maps. Its shorter then i though. http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=240+Airport+Road,+Suite+202,+Westchester+Cou nty,+NY+10604+(Westchester+County+Airport-White+Plains)&daddr=bear+mountain&hl=en&geocode=FYCocgIdLl6b-yEazBxh87oXLg%3BFeVadgId_iOX-ylpFGPF-M7CiTEwoQvcfAptSA&mra=ls&sll=41.19209,-73.847351&sspn=0.462967,0.877533&ie=UTF8&ll=41.173486,-73.847351&spn=0.463099,0.877533&t=h&z=10

Appalachian Tater
01-29-2010, 02:07
You could also take a taxi just across the river to McDonalds in Nyack and then take the Long Path and up and over to the A.T. where it intersects near the lemon squeezer.

climber2377
02-01-2010, 18:41
its a good section of the trail... it is pretty much my back yard. when are you going? you can either go from pauling route 22 and get off the train on the trail and walk south to bear mountain and get a cab ride or something back wp or get a cab ride out and take the train back to wp. however you will need to get a ride from the air port to the train station either way.

climber2377
02-01-2010, 18:47
also it is more fun to go up anthony's nose which is right on the east side of the hudson than it is to come down it. great veiw from up there. the rph shelter is pretty much a cinderblock house with one wall missing. there is a pump there for water but it has been shut down several times. i wouldnt count on it being there. also it is rusty red if it is there. there is an inn in garrison where you can stay too. i ve never stayed there, but i know you can. there is a park fawnstock that has some good fishing and camping as well. i think thru hikers stay free, but i m not 100% sure. up past 84 there it is more feilds than woods and i think the oldest tree on the trail is over there too.

sasquatch2014
02-01-2010, 20:20
You will need to look up when the RPH cabin opens again otherwise it is just a tenting area. They close the Cabin from Oct till I think April. As others have said the best option to get tot he trail the cheapest will be to take a cab to the Metro North Train stop in White Plains and make sure you get a train that goes all the way to Pawling or you will have to transfer again in Southeast. You can get that info at www.mta.info

I live in Pawling and if you have any more specific info you need on my area feel free to give me a shout.

XCskiNYC
02-01-2010, 20:46
You will need to look up when the RPH cabin opens again ...

Where can you find that?

Any water source at RPH this time of year?

kombiguy
02-01-2010, 20:46
Would it be easier for him to fly into Newburgh?

XCskiNYC
02-01-2010, 20:51
Where can you find that?

Any water source at RPH this time of year?

Ah, disregard that last question. I was thinking of Telephone Pioneers. Hopefully that's open now. Be kinda hard to close it.

Old Grouse
02-01-2010, 21:12
Would it be easier for him to fly into Newburgh?

No, it wouldn't. More distant and fewer transit options.

sasquatch2014
02-01-2010, 21:38
Agreed WP would be easier than Newburg. Depends on when you are looking to fly in and what I have going on for gas money I would be willing to drive down just about an hour from the trail. Just send me a PM if you want to talk about that.

Kevin A. Boyce
02-01-2010, 23:00
Give me a heads up, I live in Yonkers and work at the EMS in Danbury... I drive by the WHite PLains airport on my way to work, I may be able to give you a shuttle if the time/date work out... Learn to use Metro North too like others have mentioned...

sasquatch2014
02-02-2010, 20:05
Give me a heads up, I live in Yonkers and work at the EMS in Danbury... I drive by the WHite PLains airport on my way to work, I may be able to give you a shuttle if the time/date work out... Learn to use Metro North too like others have mentioned...

Heck we could even arrange a swap and I could grab him from the EMS and take him up to the trail. Aren't you glad you posted? Now you have door to door service. Life is good.