PDA

View Full Version : Red's Meadow - Mammoth Lakes

Megapixel
01-28-2010, 19:47
If I'm reading this correctly, the shuttle from Red's Meadow goes to the Mammoth Mountain ski area. How easy is it to get to the actual town of Mammoth Lakes from that shuttle point? How far? I'm looking at taking a zero in the actual town, but it appears the shuttle falls short of getting you to the town.

Rambler
01-28-2010, 19:53
You might have to link up with the YARTS bus for public transportation. Look for "Highway 120 schedule at their website.

http://www.yarts.com/maps/stops.pdf

RichardD
01-29-2010, 00:22
Unless it's changed since Summer 2008. A bus from Reds Meadow to the ski area that costs $7 for a day pass. From the ski area the free bicycle bus towards town then the free local buses to wherever you want in Mammouth. It sounds complicated but the drivers on the buses do a very good job of directing you to the corect connection. It's really very easy when you get started on the trip.

BrianLe
01-29-2010, 15:50
If you can, however, you might ask folks ahead of time what hours and on what days the bicycle bus to/from town runs. When I did this, the hours didn't come close to when I wanted to go in either direction (don't recall details now), so I ended up hitching that stretch both ways.

Jester2000
01-29-2010, 17:07
Unless it's changed since Summer 2008. A bus from Reds Meadow to the ski area that costs $7 for a day pass. From the ski area the free bicycle bus towards town then the free local buses to wherever you want in Mammouth. It sounds complicated but the drivers on the buses do a very good job of directing you to the corect connection. It's really very easy when you get started on the trip.

Agree with this --if you're there during the height of their MB downhill season (and you probably will be), it shouldn't be a problem.

I thought it would be really confusing, but everyone (all drivers, and the people at the info booth at the ski place) were very helpful.

Dogwood
01-29-2010, 17:16
I have always had to hitch from the Mammoth Ski area into Mammoth Lakes. I'm always there during summer and early fall. Never have I had to wait more than 15 mins for a ride into Mammoth Lakes from the ski area. Usually, easy to get a hitch down into ML. There is a bus that runs from Mammoth Ski area into ML and from ML back up to the ski area but I've been told it runs in winter when the ski area is at its busiest. A taxi will take you from ML to the ski area for about $12. I have always found it a bit harder getting a ride to the ski area from ML. Nearly everyone heading past the ski area is either going into ML or taking the dead end road to Reds Meadow. If you are heading back into Reds Meadow after having taken the bus on out make sure you let it known to the bus driver. He will give you a return voucher when you pay for the ride out you can use on your return. If you don't do this you will probably have to pay twice. Once to leave Reds meadow on the bus and again to get back to Reds Meadow on the bus. It's also possible to hitch out/into Reds Meadow with no buses involved.

burger
01-29-2010, 18:24
I took the bike bus from the ski area into Mammoth Lakes (I got a lot of weird looks from the bikers, but as far as I was concerned, they were the funny looking ones in their helmets and body armor). But I think the last bus of the day runs at something like 4:30pm--I almost missed it. If you get there too late, you'll have to hitch or take a cab.

tothetrail
04-04-2010, 13:41
Good info, thanks guys!

Siestita
04-05-2010, 02:56
After flying in from Kentucky, I used Reds Meadow twice as a base for backpacking trips in August 2004 and August 2007. Mammoth Lakes was a hiker friendly town. Getting around on the various shuttles sounded complicated to me, but actually worked very smoothly, provided I didn't miss that 4:30 bike bus connecting the ski resort up on the mountain to the bike center down in Mammoth Lakes town. Hitching was also easy around Mammoth Lakes.

Reds Meadow itself would not be a bad place to take a break. It's backpacker campground is close to hot spring fed showers and not far from a restaurant.

In Mammoth Lakes there is a good youth hostel (Davidson Street Guest House Hostel--19 Davidson St., off Lake Mary Road)) That's in the upper section of town, a fairly short walk from the mountain bike center/shuttle bus depot.