PDA

View Full Version : Tarp/trekking poles

Meanderer
01-29-2010, 00:17
I would like to use a tarp as my shelter but I don't use trekking poles... Any ideas of how to rig this?

Wrangler88
01-29-2010, 00:52
A frame style between two trees.

jesse
01-29-2010, 00:58
I have a ray-way tarp. I like to use two trees, if I can't find two trees, I use, one tree and one stick, or two sticks. I don't use hiking poles either.
http://www.ray-way.com/Tarp-Kit/index.htm

daddytwosticks
01-29-2010, 08:31
If you are hiking the AT or anyplace where there are trees, obviously use the trees and any fallen branches to support the tarp. :)

JAK
01-29-2010, 10:36
I pitch my poncho tarp a funny way. I pitch it the long way, with the two corners of one end staked. The other two corners I tie to branches on opposite sides of a big spruce tree. So my head is up against the big spruce tree. Other times I improvise, pitching it sideways, using one branch. Usually always under a big spruce tree though. We have alot of them and the ground always seems softer and drier under there, and the branches provide good shelter on their own. I use a bivy also, except in summer. I have been using a hiking staff more and more. A little over 6'. I haven't used it as a tent pole yet but it might try it and see what I can rig up with it.

JAK
01-29-2010, 10:39
In winter I have my skis and poles also but haven't used them yet either.
I usually get enough shelter just from the Spruce tree, but I'll try something.

sbhikes
01-29-2010, 10:53
In Ray Jardine's book (I have his old PCT book), he describes how he and Jenny start collecting sticks toward the end of the evening so they'll have good ones when it's time to set up the tarp.

Hosaphone
01-29-2010, 14:03
You could either use a tree or a long and straight-ish stick. You only need 1 support to pitch it in a half-pyramid which is more weather-tight than an A-frame. I've never been a big fan of the A-frame unless I'm not expecting bad weather.

Meanderer
01-31-2010, 11:56
What about while using something like this http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/695338

Miner
01-31-2010, 14:48
You could buy a set of carbon fiber tent poles that would weigh less then the weight of trekking poles. Though sticks and using tree trunks are valid options in most places except maybe the Whites (unless you carry your sticks above treeline there).