PDA

View Full Version : Hiking PA

NEPAhkr
01-29-2010, 08:41
This spring I want to hike the AT in PA and end at the PA/NJ border. I have 9 full days to hike and want to complete the hike my 10th day. Can anyone recommend a good approximate starting point. I want to move at a steady pace but also enjoy myself and take pictures as this will be my first AT hike. Thank you!

Helios
01-29-2010, 09:26
Duncannon comes to mind. You could spend a night at the Doyle and get an early kick off for day 1. It's 146 miles to PA/NJ border from there, so just over 14 miles/day will get you there just fine.

If that seems a bit much for you, then you may consider Pine Grove.

Chatter
01-29-2010, 09:41
This spring I want to hike the AT in PA and end at the PA/NJ border. I have 9 full days to hike and want to complete the hike my 10th day. Can anyone recommend a good approximate starting point. I want to move at a steady pace but also enjoy myself and take pictures as this will be my first AT hike. Thank you!

Have you started by figuring the total # of miles you might travel? I know this is elementary, but figure about how you are going to hike, how that far that might get you in miles, and count backwards from your destination.

Consider a daily average of 2mph, and walking between 8 and 10 hrs. a day.
This means average hiking time, not including stops for long lunches, "towning" around or other long breaks along the way.
Using this assumption, you could walk somewhere between 135 and 180 miles.
A different pace or hours per day would give you different starting points.

The PA/NJ border is at Northbound mile 1282.
Your starting point then could be around PA Rt. 34, which is near mile 1099.
Or if you are taking it a bit slower, you could start around PA Rt. 225, which is near mile 1144 on the AT. Consult your Appalachian Pages handbook or one of the AT websites for exact miles and possible nearby starting points.

Now I'll leave it up to the experts to check my math, and to tell you how many more miles you could hike if you really wanted to cover some ground and also the best places to start based on photogenic scenery, connections to roads, etc.

10-K
01-29-2010, 09:46
You can move along at a good clip over a lot of stretches south of Duncannon.

sixhusbands
01-29-2010, 10:32
I agree with starting at Duncannon. There is much more remote areas going north , especially the open ridges near Palmerton. ( a great place for blueberries too) The southern part of Pa. is more of a gently rollings hills and fields but you do get to pass through the great trail town of Boiling Springs.

max patch
01-29-2010, 10:46
I'd go SOBO and spend the last night at one of the campsites near Sunfish Pond. Easy last day into DWG. Without having my guidebook handy - or knowing anything about your pace - I can't suggest a starting point.

max patch
01-29-2010, 11:05
I'd go SOBO and spend the last night at one of the campsites near Sunfish Pond. Easy last day into DWG. Without having my guidebook handy - or knowing anything about your pace - I can't suggest a starting point.

Oops, sorry, missed the part about wanting to hike PA.

fredmugs
01-29-2010, 11:39
Duncannon. Take your time over the rocky stretches. I blistered horribly the first time I hiked in PA - mostly by trying to power over the rocks.

trailsauce
01-29-2010, 12:57
Yup, Duncannon. You'll get the worst of the PA rocks but the best view in the state (Pinnacle). Plus, you can check out The Doyle before you set out...good beer and haunted rooms :)

NEPAhkr
01-29-2010, 14:36
Thank you! Is starting somewhere between darlington and cove mountain adding too much distance or time. I think that would add about another 15 miles or so. If that is not worth it please let me know. It looks like there is a small lot at PA 850 I was thinking of. Thanks for all the help.

Jester2000
01-29-2010, 14:42
Thank you! Is starting somewhere between darlington and cove mountain adding too much distance or time. I think that would add about another 15 miles or so. If that is not worth it please let me know. It looks like there is a small lot at PA 850 I was thinking of. Thanks for all the help.

Better to start in Duncannon, I think. There is a small trailhead parking lot at 850, but I don't know that you'd want to leave your vehicle there that long. I don't remember there being much that's interesting in that stretch either, but then again I was Jonesing for town.

ki0eh
01-29-2010, 14:55
I'd consider 850 to Duncannon one of the prettier stretches of PA A.T. - it has 2 of the nicer views - from a pipeline cut on Cove Mtn, and Hawk Rock (where, on April 4, 1954, Earl Shaffer and a few buddies started SATC (http://www.satc-hike.org/) ) I don't even mind the walk across the Susquehanna River bridge, except for the noise.

However I too feel the OP's better off starting at Duncannon or even further north - planning on 14 mile days it seems from the starting gate in the rocky half of PA, doesn't seem compatible with enjoyment or taking pictures.

Jester2000
01-29-2010, 15:18
I'd consider 850 to Duncannon one of the prettier stretches of PA A.T. - it has 2 of the nicer views - from a pipeline cut on Cove Mtn, and Hawk Rock (where, on April 4, 1954, Earl Shaffer and a few buddies started SATC (http://www.satc-hike.org/) ) I don't even mind the walk across the Susquehanna River bridge, except for the noise.

However I too feel the OP's better off starting at Duncannon or even further north - planning on 14 mile days it seems from the starting gate in the rocky half of PA, doesn't seem compatible with enjoyment or taking pictures.

Depending on where you're coming from, if your travel day to Duncannon gets you there late enough that you don't want to start your trip, but early enough to do a dayhike, going up to Hawk Rock would be a great idea. Particularly since, if I'm not mistaken, it's no longer on the AT due to the relo there.

Drive down South Main and take the first right after it crosses Sherman Creek, and then Little Boston Road and Watershed Drive to the trailhead that used to be where the AT came out. That trail (which was the AT) will take you up to Hawk Rock. Then come back down and go to the Doyle for a beer.

ki0eh
01-29-2010, 15:44
Drive down South Main and take the first right after it crosses Sherman Creek, and then Little Boston Road and Watershed Drive to the trailhead that used to be where the AT came out. That trail (which was the AT) will take you up to Hawk Rock. Then come back down and go to the Doyle for a beer.

It is still on the A.T., the relo's only on the bottom. We usually simplify those directions by saying "follow the signs to the recycling bins" though. :)

(Of course the relocation takes the hiker close to http://www.tubbysnightclub.com/ in case you want to have a beer both going and coming! )

Jester2000
01-29-2010, 15:55
It is still on the A.T., the relo's only on the bottom. We usually simplify those directions by saying "follow the signs to the recycling bins" though. :)

(Of course the relocation takes the hiker close to http://www.tubbysnightclub.com/ in case you want to have a beer both going and coming! )

Oh, that's right. The cutoff is AFTER Hawk Rock if you're NOBO. I forgot 'cause the last couple of times I've gone up Hawk Rock have been dayhikes, and I'm easily confused.

emerald
01-29-2010, 16:33
Pardon me if I missed something, but I'm befuddled by birds at the moment without even pondering puddle ducks. Public transportation to Port Clinton and Delaware Water Gap is straight forward and may be something to consider even for those not primarily concerned with water or gaps.