PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness Expectations for SOBO

Spot In The Sky
01-29-2010, 12:03
So Im starting in July and the 100 Mile Wild seems to creep up pretty quickly...going SOBO my body probably wont be conditioned the same way NOBO are at that time of their trip, so is 7-8 days reasonable? Is it an easy hike just desolate? Are there water options along the way? I also read in both A Walk In The Woods and On The Beaten Path about walking through water like chest high- how do you recover from that with only one other set of clothes and only one set of shoes/boots? Any way around?
Thanks team!

ShelterLeopard
01-29-2010, 12:08
Creep up quickly? Um, yeah! Right away. Seriously, a day from Katahdin. And lots of really, really good water sources. One piped spring was the coldest and best water I have ever tasted in my life. Rainbow Stream/Spring campground, I think. One of 'em. (Just a place with some flat tenting areas) Plenty of water places, no worries.

ShelterLeopard
01-29-2010, 12:11
Chest high water? Only if there was flooding... Although, there were a couple river/stream fords where if you didn't cross in the right place, it could be pretty deep. (I ended up to my chest in water once, and it was only a foot deep... those rocks are slippery, do the fords in your boots.) In July, it won't be desolate. Lots of scouting/summer camp groups are out, and you'll meet up with them in shelters. Which can sometimes be a darn good reason not to stay near shelters...

Come to think of it, there were a couple rivers where you had to cross on a log or a tight rope, something like that (all the rivers/streams started to blend together in my memory for a bit), and would've been probably waist deep.

Red Hat
01-29-2010, 12:34
spot, expect to encounter bugs (black flies and mosquitos). The weather goes from cool to warm, so prepare for both. Take it easy, since your body will not be used to it. The climb up Katahdin is difficult, but coming down is even more so. Plan on taking a good night's rest afterwards. Your knees will be screaming... You may want to stop at Abol Bridge before heading into the wilderness. I definitely recommend a stop at White House Landing for a small resupply (but know ahead of time that it's a bit pricey). Don't push to keep up with others who may be stronger and faster. Just enjoy the walk at your own pace. It is okay to take 9-10 days if you need it. Monson if a fabulous town to relax and enjoy your first zero. Have fun! Most of your water crossings are after Monson, but depending on the rain/snow, you will have a couple before Monson.

weary
01-29-2010, 12:35
So Im starting in July and the 100 Mile Wild seems to creep up pretty quickly...going SOBO my body probably wont be conditioned the same way NOBO are at that time of their trip, so is 7-8 days reasonable? Is it an easy hike just desolate? Are there water options along the way? I also read in both A Walk In The Woods and On The Beaten Path about walking through water like chest high- how do you recover from that with only one other set of clothes and only one set of shoes/boots? Any way around?
Thanks team!
It all depends on your pre-hike conditioning. Katahdin is a killer if you haven't been doing much hiking, so unless you are starting with a lot of difficult miles under your belt, I would plan on 10 days. A lot of new southbounders do the 100 miles in fewer days -- and come to regret doing so. The greatest cause of failed thru hikes is the failure to give the trail time to condition your body.

Don't believe everything that's in "A Walk in the Woods." I've walked the 100 miles a half dozen times -- parts of it scores of times. I've never been faced with chest high water -- through a couple of times I've decided to stay put a day or two for the water to recede before attempting a crossing, as you should, if you run into anything even approaching chest high water, especially if there is any current flowing.

My practice when crossing streams that cover my shoes is to remove my socks, but then put my boots back on. Wet boots dry a lot quicker if you walk with damp socks, rather than soggy socks.

Weary

Two Speed
01-29-2010, 12:37
Could always "condition" by taking the Knife Edge up Katahdin.

Spot In The Sky
01-29-2010, 12:39
Thanks guys- Im hoping to be in decent shape- just two weeks before my start Ill be doing the Ancorhage, AK marathon, so Ill have been training for that AND the hike for the previous few months.

Silly side question- are there mile markers? How do people know how far theyve gone each day? Just by the map?

Spokes
01-29-2010, 12:42
Yep, Katahdin is a pull. There's really only one "technical" climb about 2-3 miles in. You'll stand there, scratch your head, and wonder how in the world you're going to negotiate it. Take your time, think, and eventually the "path" over the boulders will appear.

Good luck.

Spokes
01-29-2010, 12:44

Silly side question- are there mile markers? How do people know how far theyve gone each day? Just by the map?

Miles to/from Springer/Katahdin are in the guidebooks. Simple math...

weary
01-29-2010, 12:54
Thanks guys- Im hoping to be in decent shape- just two weeks before my start Ill be doing the Ancorhage, AK marathon, so Ill have been training for that AND the hike for the previous few months.

The Maine maps have a land mark by land mark guide on the back, with the mileage figured to the nearest tenth of a mile. Carry the maps and you will always know where you are. Otherwise carry the ATC data guide. It's only a few bucks, gives you all the mileage data you really need.

Running strengthens some muscles and builds general physical conditioning. But it doesn't strenthen all the muscles and tendons used in clambering over rocks and roots, up hill and down, as a lot of marathoners have discovered to their pain.

Weary

ShelterLeopard
01-29-2010, 12:58
Just keep in mind, (if you've never forded before) the currents can be a little strong. My first river/stream fordings were in the hundred mile wilderness. Don't try to keep your footwear dry, it won't stay dry, and you'll fall. Just wear your boots and find a good place to cross, and you'll be fine.

By the way, I was there in mid July, and did not find the black flies to be too terrible in the beginning and the end of the wilderness, but in the middle, we somehow found their territory. Bring deet. Lots of deet. (Spray 100 deet on your clothing) And consider a headnet.

Spokes
01-29-2010, 13:10
Yes, a headnet!

Johnny Thunder
01-29-2010, 13:39
Thanks team!

7 days is fully reasonable assuming that you start counting day one at abol bridge. Mabye 7.5 since you would probably do katahdin day one and then walk to the bridge store day 2 (camping a few miles into the 100 mile from there on your second night). The first 40 miles will be close to flat for you and the last 10 or so before Monson will be generally rolling (mostly gentle downhill).

There are two resupply options from providers and you could arrange a third possibility at one of the logging road crossings (a shuttle provider can do this for you). Not that it would be necessary since you wouldn't really be doing any climbing with anything more than 4 or 5 days worth of food. I'd never carry 7 or 8 days of food on the AT on a North bound hike but you might want to get used to it going South. There are some longer resupplies in Maine that North Bound hikers do in 3 days that might take you 5.

The only scenario in which you experience really dangerous crossings is if you end up hiking in a hurricane. In 2008 we had two come up the East coast and hit Maine within a week of each other. You'll see them coming so just be aware of it. Maps might be useful if'n you need to bail out. Again, this is not likely. The storms I mentioned were the first in decades to make it that far North with "tropical storm" intensity. But, they're hurricanes...which, are unlikely when you'll be starting and are track able for thousands of miles.

Don't worry about bringing any clothing besides that which you'd already carry. Camp shoes (read: crocs or strappy sandals) will be useful in crossing the creeks but you can just do them in your boots. Be smart about your crossings. Don't get wet at the end of the day (after 5 in July if it's sunny out or after 3 or 4 in rainy). Give yourself time to dry out before crawling into bed. I can't imagine water being a problem in the 100 mile. I've hiked there in July and in September in between two hurricanes. Water wasn't a problem ever.

peakbagger
01-29-2010, 14:13
The biggest issue is that you have no options for shipping home gear (like Mountain Crossings down south) or swapping gear. Therefore you really need to make sure that your gear list is pared down to the essentials or plan on being a pack mule until Monson. I have run into a couple of groups of south bounders over the years with more gear than they possibly need and after the run up and over whitecap, they are usually moaning about why they had brought so much gear. I have also found piles of gear that was abandoned.

Obviously test and use your gear before you go, its embarrasing to see folks who hit the first shelter southbound into the wilderness and then decide to rework their gear or learn how to use it.

The other comment is on strategy, a lot of folks put in too many miles the first few days (easy to do as its relatively "flat") and run of of steam after hitting Whitecap. Some even start trying to cut days off the trip to Monson based on the first few days progress. As the investment companies like to point out prior performance is not indicative of future performance. All I can say is dont do it, take your time and build up your conditioning in the first few days and let your feet toughen up. When you hit Whitecap, learn how to slow down and set a pace that works, sure you probably wont make the same miles for the next few days over White cap and the Chairbacks, but who cares and if it can save you blisters or injuries, those "lost miles" are worth every bit in the long run.

Saint Alfonzo
01-29-2010, 14:15
HELLO" SOPT IN THE SKY" and WELCOME to WHITE BLAZE.. I call myself SAINT ALFONZO. And if this FAT old man, twice your age, can do the 100 MILE , YOU should have NO trouble.. I wish YOU the best on YOUR hike..

Johnny Appleseed
01-29-2010, 21:09
I never crossed w/ my hike shoes on. Just don't step on the rocks, step in between the rocks. It is a bit painful as you go slower w/o the shoes and the water is oh,so cold. But better then wet and maybe angry feet from rubbing.

You can take socks and put in a liner from bad shoes and cross that way. But if you are crossing a swollen river from rain it might be best to use shoes/boots.