PDA

View Full Version : Split from Straight Forward - wood stove talk

SGT Rock
01-28-2010, 14:55
One thing I found as the time to launch got closer - I kept thinking of things that could happen or things I might want and started adding things to my pack which years of hiking I had not needed or gotten out of my system. Contingencies. My logic brain was saying I didn't need them, but the other half of my brain said it would be good to have it just in case...

I ended up getting rid of all those things at some point.

Sunglasses
1 oz wood stove
camp shoes
Yaktrax

And probably some other things.

Hikes in Rain
01-28-2010, 18:58
1 oz wood stove

Oh? Please, do elaborate! I love cooking on wood, and a one ounce wood stove would be golden for me.

Of course, I could just use a few rocks I find.....:rolleyes:

SGT Rock
01-28-2010, 19:01
It is a zelph design. You can find it here: http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51

Hikes in Rain
01-28-2010, 19:10
OOOoooh! (OK, gets embarrassing at this point.)

I'm within a couple of weeks of completing a big, air conditioned (hey, it's Florida!) workshop. I see projects in my future!

Rock, thanks so much. I hadn't seen this wood stove design before. Like I said, I love cooking over fire...there's just something so primitively satisfying about it!

I section hike. I can carry luxuries. :sun

SGT Rock
01-28-2010, 19:14
Thank Zelph too, it was his baby.

Reid
01-29-2010, 10:38
That's a good looking wood stove. Does zelph sell these or are there instructions for making one?

Grinder
01-29-2010, 13:16
Sgt Rock,
Does your first post translate to one of these statements:

1. Wood stoves aren't worth the weight /space to me
OR
2.I sent it home when it warmed up.

Dying to know!!!

SGT Rock
01-29-2010, 14:40
Sgt Rock,
Does your first post translate to one of these statements:

1. Wood stoves aren't worth the weight /space to me
OR
2.I sent it home when it warmed up.

Dying to know!!!

Zelph has some instructions somewhere, I am not sure where and he does hang out here sometimes - so you could try PMing him here.

On this part...

I was already taking my alcohol stove with me and wanted to have the wood stove as a way to stretch fuel.

I was hiking though GA and the end of the drought so there was still a burn ban. I had been carrying the stove outside of my pack attached on with one of my pack straps running through it. 1.5 ounces for a stove (I think that was the weight) wasn't killing me. But it did make packing up a little difficult at times and there were places where the cuts in the globe left little pieces of wire mesh that were starting to abrade my sil-nylon pack. For cooking I was using my own Ion stove which is VERY fuel efficient and the entire works of stove, stand, fuel bottle, lighter, and pot cozy/windscreen was able to nest inside my 0.9 pot.

After about 4 days of packing the stove and not having any fire, and not foreseeing the need for any fire in the near future, I dropped the wood stove off at home when I went back for a zero (I live near the AT).

The rest of my trip I stuck to just my alcohol stove and occasionally used a camp fire for warming water. I never found a time on the hike that I wished I was still carrying the wood stove.

That said, I still think it is a cool stove.

Helios
01-29-2010, 15:00
Thanks for the insight. I have 36 days and a wake up to go and find myself trying very hard not to second guess my gear list. After several section/shake down hikes I am confident with what I have. Yet I found myself looking at 2010 model packs online yesterday, and rethinking a few other items.

My wonderful wife, who can be stern at times, has dutifully taken on the task of reminding me, at my request, that what I have works and is enough!! hahaha...

This last month of waiting to go deserves it's own journal. I feel like an addict going through the shakes or something... I need my fix!!!

SGT Rock
01-29-2010, 15:40
Ask her to lock your gear in a closet and keep it away from you until one day before you leave. Start playing video games and eating lots of calories to bulk up before you leave.

JAK
01-29-2010, 16:20
That's interesting, and its a point that really doesn't get a lot of attention.

It's not always the weight of gear, or it's volume, but how well it fits.
There has to be a place for it. It can't get in the way.

My Kelly Kettle I struggle with a bit, but easier since I lost the base.
Hobo stoves should be even easier to find a place for. but I haven't found one yet.

I've used the 3 legged titanium stand that comes with Rock's Ion stove a fair bit. You have to have a place for it where it doesn't cut into anything, but it takes zero space, and that and a metal cup and you have a wood stove. You can't always find rocks, especially in winter. Wind screen helps, or add more sticks. In winter you often need some sort of ground pad. Still working on that. You need a place for it to. It has to fit in.

JAK
01-29-2010, 16:24
If something gets used enough, it will find its place, or get refined until it does.
If it doesn't get used enough, it ends up in the way, and turfed, not fixed.
It's a natural evolutionary process.

zelph
01-30-2010, 22:57
It is a zelph design. You can find it here: http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51

Thanks for remembering:)

Lots more info here at WB also.

Came to be known as the "Globe Stove" (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25589&highlight=globe+stove)

I no longer have them available for purchase. Kmart sold all the ones they had on clearance at a good price that made them affordable. I use a globe as a windscreen around my Ring of Fire stove when I tent camp with my wife. A more stable pot setup has never been known:).......it's my wifes' favorite. We use it in the tent for early morning hot chocolate. Don't even get out of the sack, just reach over and do a one handed makeready and away she goes.

Don't even have to punch/cut holes in the mesh. Take along something to raise it up off the ground to let air in and something for the to like the grate shown in the thread that I used for grilled pork chop. Soap up your pot and enjoy:)