PDA

View Full Version : Fire Starter

GeneralLee10
01-29-2010, 13:01
I was messing around the other day with wax from cheese and came up with this idea. Here is a video showing what I have done Tell me what you floks think. Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MWJFZLiGhU

GeneralLee10
01-29-2010, 13:31
I was messing around the other day with wax from cheese and came up with this idea. Here is a video showing what I have done Tell me what you floks think. Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MWJFZLiGhU

I was trying to type, tell me what you folks think not floks. sorry.:D

sidebackside
01-29-2010, 14:33
That's pretty cool man!

GeneralLee10
01-29-2010, 15:01

Do some of you use this kinda cheese on the trail?

zelph
01-29-2010, 18:32
Looks like it takes too much to get it going. On a rainy(low atmospheric pressure) day you'ld want something better.

GeneralLee10
01-29-2010, 18:46
I am sure the surrounding temps and air will have some factors to play in the burning of it. I did not make the TP long enough so it started off kinda slow. I think you would want it to kinda burn slow don't you? So the wood will dry out some, anyhow it's fun playing with fire. I just made two more in one I used the little paper strip folded up next to the TP. They both went out at the same time, burn time was 10 mins.

jeremyduncan
01-30-2010, 03:39
I gave you 5 stars! Here was my commetn:

"Hehe., I like when you were about to say "butt", but hesitated and said "behind"

Pretty inventive idea. I like carrying cheese with me on the trail. If I get some on the wax, then I have a duel use item!"

I accidently posted under our filmfights.com account, instead of my personal one.

Maddog
01-30-2010, 04:01
pretty neat idea! thanks for shaing! :)

GeneralLee10
01-30-2010, 10:35
Thank You for the views and comments WB community.:sun:)

Mr. Magoo
02-06-2010, 17:49
Yep. BabyBels are a great little snack. I keep them close to my insulated water bladder so that they don't turn into goo. :)

Do some of you use this kinda cheese on the trail?

Chaco Taco
02-06-2010, 18:24
I am tha firestarter.
Sorry i saw the title and couldnt resist
http://content.expressen.se/blog/09/04/94/tabac/images/prodigy.jpg

Jester2000
02-06-2010, 19:01
Pretty inventive idea. I like carrying cheese with me on the trail. If I get some on the wax, then I have a duel use item!"

You're going to challenge someone to a cheese duel? I like it. Cheddar at 20 paces!

JustaTouron
02-06-2010, 19:34
You're going to challenge someone to a cheese duel? I like it. Cheddar at 20 paces!

I think you are milking an udderly cheesy pun. And it would be a hole lot better to use swiss.

Jester2000
02-06-2010, 20:02
I think you are milking an udderly cheesy pun. And it would be a hole lot better to use swiss.

Hey now! I'm not the one who misspelled "dual." I'm just runnin' with it. Swiss is too neutral. Not violent enough.

Wise Old Owl
02-06-2010, 20:22
kind of a Macgyver / Macgruber moment....Ok it passed-very cool

JAK
02-07-2010, 07:26
I was trying to type, tell meink what you folks think not floks. sorry.:D

Hey, what about us floks?

Really cool though. Good thinking. I can see various practical applications for that, but mainly, plain good thinking, which has even more practical applications. Specifically though, from this idea...
1. Bring cheese sealed in wax, and use the wax as candle/fuel/tinder.
2. Seal other wood in wax and use the wax as candle/fuel/tinder.
3. Wrap food in wax paper and use wax paper as fuel/tinder.
4. Make your own wax paper, and use it to... etc.

Thanks.

p.s. olive oil or canola oil might also be used similarly, to seal food and as fuel.

JAK
02-07-2010, 07:29
I meant to say food, not wood. lol

Rockhound
02-07-2010, 09:34
Have always known wax was a good fire starter. Never thought of using it as a candle though.

Rockhound
02-07-2010, 09:36
um.... cheese wax that is. Yes I know candles are made from wax.

Jester2000
02-07-2010, 14:44
um.... cheese wax that is. Yes I know candles are made from wax.

Hahahahahahaha!

GeneralLee10
02-07-2010, 15:00
It's Funny, I and most that have posted in this thread have made some sort of spelling error.:):D

Thanks for the positive responses though.:sun

mweinstone
02-07-2010, 15:05
all shelters contain spilled wax that is easily gathered.wax, paper and wet twigs start fires well. for the assured start in a dire freeze, waste a whole candle and a half a roll of toilet paper and wrap the twiggs and candle in the paper and then with a seperate candle, drizzle wax enough to start it all going. place in prefab twiggy tee pee and block from wind. cover with graduatingly larger wood and surround entire fire area with all gathered wood to dry and block wind. remember to place a rock beneath the fire starter or the wet ground will bum you way out .not burning on a small rock to start a fire is a big mistake in wet. all pits should be lined with rock when safe.

Tinker
02-07-2010, 16:33
Too bad things have changed since the day you could make a fire (or at least an explosion - bang) using no fuel in the absence of oxygen (or any other matter, for that matter :p).
Ie: The "Big Bang"

Cabin Fever
02-07-2010, 16:54
IMHO, the ultimate firestarter is dryer lint. My wife has even agreed to keep it for me. Keep a gallon ziploc bag by the dryer and stuff it in there. Weighs practically nothing. Stuffs down to practically nothing. I can't find anything wrong with it.

Jester2000
02-07-2010, 16:58
IMHO, the ultimate firestarter is dryer lint. My wife has even agreed to keep it for me. Keep a gallon ziploc bag by the dryer and stuff it in there. Weighs practically nothing. Stuffs down to practically nothing. I can't find anything wrong with it.

I found that taking dryer lint and mixing it with a bit of melted wax worked well for me. Kept the lint from burning up too fast, and made the wax burn hotter. Once cooled, the lint-filled wax could be cut into little squares, which was less messy than just having a bunch of lint.

mudhead
02-07-2010, 18:28
So I was having a Hmmm moment wondering what the difference was between paraffin and wax when I went to paraffin on Wikipedia. Interesting stuff.

mclovin
03-08-2010, 01:32
Where can i buy some babybel cheese from?