PDA

View Full Version : Kemyer backpack

Storm
01-29-2010, 13:50
I just ordered a 7100 CI Kemyer backpack off of Ebay. I got it (new) for $43.99 plus shipping.

Before I get flamed by all the ultra light folks let me say that I know the pack is way too heavy and way too big for an extended hike.

I bought the pack to use primarily for training and getting into shape. Also I don't want to shell out $250 plus for a ULA Catalyst at this point.

I just wanted to know if anyone has any experiance with this pack? Does it hold up well? How comfortable is it to carry? Any input would be appreciated.

Doooglas
01-29-2010, 17:02
Excellent !
Put it back on EBoy and see if you can get your money back.:(

Storm
01-29-2010, 20:20
Put it back on EBoy and see if you can get your money back.:(

Doooglas
01-29-2010, 23:30
When it comes to relying on what sits on your shoulders, as your life.
You get EXACTLY what you pay for.

Storm
02-03-2010, 04:07
Got the pack today. It won't be going back on Ebay. It is huge and weighs 7 lbs. but it is put together as well as any pack I've looked at for three times the money. I think it will serve it's intended purpose well.

Toolshed
02-03-2010, 07:25
I hope you are truly happy with the pack, however, I believe this is the same company that makes the very cheap Product placement/labeled daypacks and nylon sacks that companies give out in promotions.

Anyeway, There is a reason you got it for $43 dollars. Those seams will be unraveling soon enough. Look closely - are the edges lapped? are the seams lapfell stitched - how many stitches to the inch and how tight are they?
Those zippers slide OK now, but once you have it a little stuffed or even after using the zipper slide a dozen times,you likely see the teeth start to separate and the loose threads from the nylon pack material start to get caught in the zipper.

Then look at your straps. Very low quality nylon - Coarse and abrasive. they don't slide smoothly through the sliders but rather grab and stick, in fact once you have stuff in the pack, you'll hardly be able to adjust those straps at all.
The shoulder straps and hip belt are likely not a combo of open and closed cell padding, but simply open cell which will quickly collapse over time leaving you with a heavy bag sagging awkwardly on your hips and back, leaving you angry and miserable.

Finally, look at the material itself. is it thin and rough looking with a shiny
puckerish PU coating inside, it doesn't flex well, does it?

Touch your back of your hand or fingernails to the material, how does it feel, smooth and flexible or likely rough and coarse.

Here's what the Chinese say about one of their backpacks (A MUST READ)
Overview: * KEMYER 7100ci Internal Frame Hiking Camping Traveling Backpack Product Dimension: * 43in. W x 12in. H x 16in. D Lower Compartment: * 12 in. W x 15.5in. H x 12in. D Material: * Material 600x600 Denier Polyester & Nylon / PVC * 70 Denier Nylon/ P.P. Web Fabric Backing * 8mm PE Foam Cool Flow cushioning on hinder allows send to distribute 10"x10"x5" bag in top out flutter. The briny separate part is top out loading immediately after top out flapping and division that cut short downward o'er it. This included iii draw and quarter straps in look that grant in spite of enlargement 12"x15.5"x12" Lower division or quiescent bagful separate part. This country is approachable by an remote U zipper or by entering the briny section from the top out There ar 2 zippered face section (9"x5"x4") as intimately as ii waistline unwavering irrigate bottleful holders Long space padded shoulder joint and waistline straps (waist opens to o'er 50") Multiple adjustments on articulatio humeri straps and waistline straps grant to prefer a upright set in spite of your hind Shoulder straps tin be split at the midway of the wad and stirred up and downward in favor of right fitting Total of 6" adjustments of 1.5 in There an oversized zipper in the rearward that testament compact bundle loads on this account that greater stableness and console Rear Gigantic zipper acts to pack together compact loads conducive to greater stableness and solace Side, top out, midsection and bottom of the inning contraction straps on this account that the to the highest degree untroubled loading Plenty of special straps, bungee cord appal electric cord and loops concerning water ice ax, walking sting, climbing or how remarkable feature you Two internal frame corsets and flexile hind venire for the sake of the to the highest degree horse barn and solace 7100ci0 and back up scheme uncommitted All stitching is folded and trilled despite sterling lasting quality (double stitched at vital points wholly on every side of the bundle) This compact comes consummate by with the help of a rain down extend placed in bundle on take down separate part. It is so skillful to feature the rain down vanish in its ain especial bag. When it starts raining you simply seize the continue and you ar dexterous to struggle the rain down in seconds

Storm
02-03-2010, 14:29
Toolshed, thanks for some actual informative information.

You are right about some of the seams, they are not all folded. The main seams are folded and double stiched with very tight stitches. Can't say how strong the thread is. The material looks and feels about the same as the Kelty pack I looked at. I have most of my gear in the pack and the zippers are working okay at this point. Of course that may not last.

If I go forward with plans for a thru in two years I'm thinking on the lines of the ULA Catalyst but didn't have the extra money for one right now. I needed something to carry some weight primarily on road hikes near home and possibly a couple dayhikes and maybe a weekender or two. So if the pack does fall apart it isn't going to be great loss or a major problem.

I'll see how it holds up on the road hikes before I attempt anything out of town. Thanks for your input and that Chinese discription was funny but actually pretty acurate. :)

Storm
02-29-2012, 17:35
Okay, just for the heck of it I thought I would post a short gear review on the Kemyer backpack. I have been carrying it on training hikes for two years now, it has been in rain, snow, heat. Have used the pack cover in the rain. I think it has about 2400 miles on it so far. Heaviest load has been about 35 pounds. All of the seams are still holding and all of the zippers still work. The straps are a little hard to adjust and are showing signs of wear but none of the buckles or straps have failed at this point.
The pack weighs 7 pounds empty and is much too heavy to actually hike with. For a training pack it has more than given me my moneys worth and has saved wear and tear on my ULA Catalyst which I finally got enough money to buy.
I would not reccomend the pack to anyone for anything other than training or short hikes. Just too heavy.