PDA

View Full Version : Down: up or down?

JustaTouron
01-29-2010, 14:06
Down?

Do you love it or hate it?

I know lots of people consider it the ultimate UL insulation.

I hate the stuff and consider it even less useful than cotton. Sometimes I will bring a cotton T-shirt on a hike in the summer. I never bring anything made of down.

In large part of my dislike for down stems from novice mistakes I made and others made when I was in Boy Scouts. When I was a Scout, I had two sleeping bags – a summer rectangular one and a heavy (~5 lbs) winter synthetic mummy bag. I think it was rated for zero. Other than for summer camp and very late spring or very early fall I always used the winter one. Often unzipped or as a blanket when it was warm, but IMHO when it is 45 it is better to have a zero bag than a 55 bag. I had wanted to get a lighter weight down bag instead of the heavy synthetic one, but down was out of my price range at the time. My buddy got the more expensive down one.

Being both novices we made a lot of novice mistakes.

First one was setting up the tent in a depression when the forecast called for heavy rain and thundershowers. The tent became an indoor swimming pool. When I woke up in the morning my fingers were all shriveled up like they get if you swimming for too long. I was soaked, but warm. Although the bag lost some insulation value because of being wet, not enough given that it was still above 35 degrees for me to be cold. My buddy’s teeth were chattering. And while my sleeping bag worked great, the down jacket I had on the floor of the tent was useless for the rest of the trip.

Second one was on a canoe trip. We flipped the canoe by accident. Didn’t lose any gear cause it was all tied in very well, but both of our sleeping bags got soaked as did some of our other gear. The garbage bag protecting my sleeping pad was successful as were the ziplocks holding my clothes. But the garbage bag protecting my sleeping bag didn’t do much. By the time night fell I had managed to get my bag from “soaking wet” to just “pretty damp”. His bag was still soaking wet. I put on dry clothes and went to bed in the damp bag. In the early hours of the morning I woke up and being too warm unzipped my bag (it was almost completely dry at this point). My buddy heard me unzip the bag and ask me if I was getting up. I said “no, just too warm.” He responded by calling me something that I won’t repeat on a family friendly forum. I ignored it and went back to sleep. I asked him why he had been so hostile in the middle of the night and he hadn’t gotten much sleep and spent the entire night freezing, my complaining about being too warm was just too much for him to bear.

Maybe the lessons I should have learned, isn’t “down sucks” but “be careful where you set up a tent” and “use dry bags on a canoe trip”. I think I have learned those lessons too. I am better at keeping stuff dry now, than I was when I first started going camping. But I have never been able to keep 100% of the snow out of my tent on a winter trip or managed to avoid becoming somewhat damp inside the tent when it is raining. I would rather have a jacket or sleeping bag that does 80% of the job when soaking wet than one that is useless.

What says you…Down: love it or hate it?

ShelterLeopard
01-29-2010, 14:11
LOVE it. But I will say, you must keep it dry. Since I'm a dry gear nut, it isn't a problem. (I use dry bags. Kayaking dry bags. OR Hydroseal Drycomp Sacks, work beautifully.) Comfy and warm.

Ender
01-29-2010, 14:35
Down is the only thing I use. It's much easier to keep dry than you'd think, warmth to weight ration is still the best, and it breaths much better than synthetic so I'm not as sweaty.

Phreak
01-29-2010, 14:48
I only use down these days. Sold all of my synthetic bags. Love my MontBell down jacket.

bigcranky
01-29-2010, 14:53
Down -- Love It. All our sleeping bags are down, as is almost all my winter insulation. (I do have a Micropuff Pullover I bought a few years ago and used once.) I have been in a lot of seriously bad weather in the last twenty years, and for some reason I've always been able to keep my bag and clothing dry.

Just because you were an idiot when you were on a couple of scouting trips as a kid doesn't make down worthless. (No offense.... :) )

Tinker
01-29-2010, 15:20
In terms of a long term value, down beats everything else handily. Used frequently, the same temperature bags, down vs. synthetic, the down bag will still be around years from now, the synthetic will be a memory, having lost half its warmth the first time you left it stuffed in a hot car trunk for a day or dried it in a clothes dryer on anything above the "warm" setting.

The Will
01-29-2010, 15:29
Maybe the lessons I should have learned, isn’t “down sucks” but “be careful where you set up a tent” and “use dry bags on a canoe trip”. I think I have learned those lessons too. I am better at keeping stuff dry now, than I was when I first started going camping. But I have never been able to keep 100% of the snow out of my tent on a winter trip or managed to avoid becoming somewhat damp inside the tent when it is raining. I would rather have a jacket or sleeping bag that does 80% of the job when soaking wet than one that is useless.

It sounds as if you HAVE learned those lessons already. There is a point where equipment can bail us out of some adverse situations. However the predominant factor in having a safe and comfortable backcountry experience is the utilization of the basic, requisite skills--camp selection (considernig prevailing winds, potential of falling trees/branches, bugs, bears, warmth, moisture), map and campus skills, knowing how to respond to animal encounters, etc. This is just commentary. . .not saying that you haven't acquierd these.

There are remedies to all of the above scenarios. There are stuff sacks that are waterproof and incredibly light. I use these exclusively, even when I'm on a paddling trip and using drybags for all of my gear storage or when I am using a pack cover or pack liner to keep the contents of my pack dry. As you've illustrated in your scenarios, a sleeping bag and insulating clothing are key pieces of equipment. I take no chances with getting them wet--I would take those same precautions even if I used a synthetic bag.

As for a little snow and dampness in your tent, there is no caution one can take to elimenate this, only minimize it. It's just part of living outdoors. But there are shell materials that can easily defend against that moisture.

1azarus
01-29-2010, 15:35
...me? i'm all for down. lf it didn't hurt to get tarred and feathered, i'd go for that. neoair is the only product i know of that competes with down for weight/warmth ratio.

XCskiNYC
01-29-2010, 15:43
Down is supposed to have a wider range of temperatures where you'll stay comfy.

Plus K-C and the Sunshine Band came out strongly in favor of this option, versus synthetic, in their 1970's disco hit.

Obviously it's not an option for vegans. For lacto-ovo's such as myself it's okay but I'd be happier if so many geese hadn't been "harvested" (as Marmot's marketing department smarmily puts it) to make my bag.

JustaTouron
01-29-2010, 15:54
Seventeen to one. With me being the one. I might have to rethink my position.

Just because you were an idiot when you were on a couple of scouting trips as a kid doesn't make down worthless. (No offense.... :) )

No offense taken. I am still an idiot. Just less of one now.

dried it in a clothes dryer on anything above the "warm" setting.

I only put the bag on the lowest setting.....but I thought you couldn't even wash a down bag or put it in the dryer, dry clean only. But then again it was many years go the last time I even looked at a down bag.

It sounds as if you HAVE learned those lessons already. **** would take those same precautions even if I used a synthetic bag.

yeah i have gotten smarter...and i do treat my bag as if it was down...I do own a dry bag now for it, i just like the insurance policy if it got wet anyway.

But I am gonna have to rethink this given the overwhelming support for down.

bigcranky
01-29-2010, 16:04
Aaaack! Do not dry clean a down bag. Bad news, plus you'll be breathing the chemicals for years. Ick.

A down bag can be washed in a high capacity front loading washing machine (like you'd find at a laundromat) using down soap, on gentle cycle. If possible run it through two rinse cycles. Then it can be dried in a big dryer on NO HEAT. It'll take hours to dry, which is why I usually bring my bag home from the laundromat and put it in my own dryer. (Another reason is that the attendant might be "helpful" and turn your dryer on High when you aren't looking. Had that happen once. Luckily I caught it quickly.)

No reason to rethink your position, BTW. If you like synthetic bags, use them. No big deal.

Jester2000
01-29-2010, 16:06
Plus K-C and the Sunshine Band came out strongly in favor of this option, versus synthetic, in their 1970's disco hit. . .

This may be the best and funniest post about gear I've ever read on whiteblaze. Ever.

I used a synthetic bag (Cat's Meow) on the AT, a down one (Lafuma Pro 950) on the PCT. I liked them both. I'm leaning towards down for all future adventures, at least out west, where constant Precip doesn't seem to be as much of an issue.

tammons
01-29-2010, 16:08
Down is great and there is just nothing as nice as climbing into or under a down sleeping bag or quilt when its chilly.

I think #1 is the compressability and weight for backpacking.
It is what I now use mostly, but I will say nothing wrong with synthetic either
except it breaks down over time.

If I were going to do some sort of extreme hiking with very minimal equipment
and expected rain, or the same in a very humid hot environment, or on a rainy trip for weeks, I would prefer synthetic.

For very cold weather, down.

Back before DWR down was a little more iffy in sloppy weather.
Also synthetics now are catching up with down wt/warmth.

Ideally for me a hybred bag would be best IMO, down inner main bag with a thinish synthetic filled outer bag.

Cedar Tree
01-29-2010, 16:20
I have down pants (really underwear, but I plan on using them as camp/sleeping pants), jacket, booties and sleeping bag. Like Shelp, I triple and quad-riple protect my down stuff. Turkey oven roasting bag inside each OR highly water resistant stuff sack, use a silnylon pack liner AND cover everything with a Packa. Gotta keep it dry.
Cedar Tree

Pacific Tortuga
01-29-2010, 16:23
True believer in down, to me, the quality of the shell, is just as important. :cool:

Raul Perez
01-29-2010, 16:37
Being a hammock camper down seems to be the way to go as far as insulation for an underquilt for your back. I just take the extra precaution of always keeping it in a dry bag regardless of if it will rain or not. I may fall in a stream who knows :)

Jester2000
01-29-2010, 16:43
Being a hammock camper down seems to be the way to go as far as insulation for an underquilt for your back. I just take the extra precaution of always keeping it in a dry bag regardless of if it will rain or not. I may fall in a stream who knows :)

I was wondering about this, tho' I'm not a hammocker. Doesn't laying on the down compress it so it doesn't insulate as well? That's true when you're laying on the ground, and the reason for needing insulated sleeping pads. Just wondering how that works with a hammock.

Raul Perez
01-29-2010, 16:49
It attaches to the outside of the hammock so it does not get compressed.

Raul Perez
01-29-2010, 16:51
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/quilts.php

here's a link for a visual

Jester2000
01-29-2010, 17:01
Ah, gotcha. I had a friend with that setup on the PCT, but I forgot. Makes sense.

Doooglas
01-29-2010, 17:15
If i head back up to Moab, Jackson, or Lewiston, for sure,......doubtful If I ever head up again,........but I have a FF stored up there.
Anyone who thinks their down will function in the tropics is off the wall, at best.