PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Alone

AirOutlaw7
01-29-2010, 21:21
So when I told my dad that even if nobody comes to the Trail with me, Ill hike anyway, he wasnt happy with the idea of me hiking alone. He says that its a matter of saftey. So I would like some information from you guys about why he shouldnt worry about the idea of me going alone.

(He cant make me not go, but it could be problamatic if he doesnt approve of me going).

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 21:26
So when I told my dad that even if nobody comes to the Trail with me, Ill hike anyway, he wasnt happy with the idea of me hiking alone. He says that its a matter of saftey. So I would like some information from you guys about why he shouldnt worry about the idea of me going alone.

(He cant make me not go, but it could be problamatic if he doesnt approve of me going).

How old are you? Look the trail is safe. You will have so many people around you. Some of them will be strange and some will end up friends for life. I understand your Dad's issue. He should be concerned.

AirOutlaw7
01-29-2010, 21:27
How old are you? Look the trail is safe. You will have so many people around you. Some of them will be strange and some will end up friends for life. I understand your Dad's issue. He should be concerned.

I'm 17 now, and Ill be 18 when Im hiking.

Rain Man
01-29-2010, 21:29
Lots of "girls" hike on the AT alone all the time. My own daughter did. I wonder why so many macho guys are so scared of it.

But truth be told, you are rarely alone. There are plenty of people on the trail at almost any time. It can be hard to be alone, even if you want to.

You dad should worry more if you drive alone to a concert or game.

Best to you.

Rain:sunMan

JustaTouron
01-29-2010, 21:30

You could do what shlep did. Find a hiking partner to start the trip with to ease parental concerns. Dad likely won't be too upset if a week on the trail you tell him you aren't hiking with that person anymore but you met new friends you are hiking with.

It is the nature of parents to worry. You won't convince dad not to worry about his kid being on the trail alone.

JAK
01-29-2010, 21:36
If you were a gal, I would say wait a few years before going alone. Regardless of how safe it might be, I can see how your folks would worry. If you are a guy, you just need to put your dad's mind at ease. A few weekend solo hikes should do that.

Chicken Feathers
01-29-2010, 21:36
When are you starting if you start April to end of May you will have a hard time being alone. Just remember if you are concerned always stay in a group. You will meet more people than you want. Tell your dad to check WB out for safety comments. Have a great hike and meet plenty of people or fellow hikers.:)

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 21:42
If you were a gal, I would say wait a few years before going alone.

Why???? Girls are just as safe on the trail. They can fend for themselves. Plus with all the guys on the trail, someone will always have their back.

10-K
01-29-2010, 21:45
I offered to equip and fully fund a thru hike for my 17 year old son and he wasn't interested. To me, it is one of the safest ways to learn planning and self reliance than I can think of and it's relatively safe.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2010, 21:47
I'm 17 now, and Ill be 18 when Im hiking.

tell dad it's either the Marine Corps or hiking

bigcranky
01-29-2010, 21:49
This is for a thru-hike? Norhtbound? There are plenty of hikers on the trail, and we look out for each other. Speaking as the father of a 19-year old, I'd be fine with her doing a solo thru-hike. It's way safer than being at college, seriously.

JAK
01-29-2010, 21:50
Why???? Girls are just as safe on the trail. They can fend for themselves. Plus with all the guys on the trail, someone will always have their back.I said regardless of how safe it might be, she should wait a few years, for her parents sake. Just my opinion, regardless of how safe it might be.

BrianLe
01-29-2010, 21:52
Before I did a long trip I would have --- as a parent --- been really concerned if one of my daughters decided to do a thru-hike "by themself". After having experienced the trail culture personally, I'd be a lot less concerned. Thru-hikers tend to look out for each other, often have an idea of who's hiking just ahead or just behind them. Often when I would meet someone for the first time we would both say that we had already heard of the other person.

And with so many people on the trail --- particularly the AT --- so long as you're not starting well outside the normal start window, or maybe going SOBO, it should be easy to hook up with one or more other people to hike as a small group.

Hmm, my comments are assuming you're thru-hiking, but neither your comments nor this particular forum suggests that you are. I still don't think it's massively unsafe, but the dynamics shift then depending on when & where you're hiking. And in general, based on what in particular your parents are most concerned about! (other hikers, "bears", falling off cliffs, etc etc).

JAK
01-29-2010, 21:52
tell dad it's either the Marine Corps or hikingGood answer.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2010, 21:53
I don't know why many assume if your starting the hike alone, you will stay alone. It not like your going to some forsaken wilderness at the ends of the Earth.

If you start at Springer on any given day in March through May, you will likely be with a group of hikers from day one. Day two at the latest. What's not likely is that any of them knew each other before that day. Its more common to start alone then it is with someone you already know.

AirOutlaw7
01-29-2010, 21:55
Hmm, my comments are assuming you're thru-hiking, but neither your comments nor this particular forum suggests that you are. I still don't think it's massively unsafe, but the dynamics shift then depending on when & where you're hiking. And in general, based on what in particular your parents are most concerned about! (other hikers, "bears", falling off cliffs, etc etc).

Itll only be a section hike sadly. Im starting right after graduation, so Ill have to start at a later point than Springer(Damascus VA looks like a good starting point for late May). Ill be going as far as my $ and feet can take me, and hopefully that means Maine.

JAK
01-29-2010, 21:59
That said, I know a young woman, now in her thirties, who has been doing a lot of adventure racing since she was in here teens. I could see her going off and doing a thru-hike at 18. Things is, she was really in her element. She didn't need anyone to look out for her, though of course everyone did. A young woman needs to have alot of confidence going in, in my opinion. That can be transfered from other areas, such as sailing or running or some such thing, especially individual sports. Thing is, its really just our opinions, but its her and her parents business.

Besides, I believe this particular gal is a guy, so its all the more moot.

JAK
01-29-2010, 22:00
Another squeeze of lemming 'arry!

Frosty
01-29-2010, 22:06
I offered to equip and fully fund a thru hike for my 17 year old son and he wasn't interested.Would you like you adopt me? I'll call you every day from the trail, which is more than any 17-year-old would do, I won't get in trouble with the law, and I won't end up with a pregnant girlfriend. What more could you ask for?

Frosty
01-29-2010, 22:12
I said regardless of how safe it might be, she should wait a few years, for her parents sake. Just my opinion, regardless of how safe it might be.I can see making concessions for parents' feelings, but waiting years to do what you want so that your parents won't be uncomfortable doesn't seem like a healthy thing to do.

It's the nature and right of parents to worry. That doesn't mean their children have an obligaton to do nothing that might cause a parent to worry.

It is the parents' job to do the best they can and let go when they have to. (Generally, a typical teenager's behavior is God's way of helping parents to let go.)

Slo-go'en
01-29-2010, 22:12
There will still be pleanty of hikers passing through Damascus in late May, so still not to worry. The mid April starters will be passing through town about then.

But don't try to keep up with the hikers you do meet at first, they already have 300+ miles under thier feet. Take it easy the first couple of weeks. You do have some advantage starting later and farther up the trail, you can get away with a lighter pack since it will be getting into summer time and your out of the high hills.

SGT Rock
01-29-2010, 22:15
Tell him the Army recruiter offered to hike with you. He wanted some time with you to make you an offer.

Mongoose2
01-29-2010, 22:21
Would you like you adopt me? I'll call you every day from the trail, which is more than any 17-year-old would do, I won't get in trouble with the law, and I won't end up with a pregnant girlfriend. What more could you ask for?

You're selling yourself short Frosty, stay positive! No reason you can't conceive at your age!

JustaTouron
01-29-2010, 22:23
I can see making concessions for parents' feelings, but waiting years to do what you want so that your parents won't be uncomfortable doesn't seem like a healthy thing to do.

It's the nature and right of parents to worry. That doesn't mean their children have an obligaton to do nothing that might cause a parent to worry.

It is the parents' job to do the best they can and let go when they have to. (Generally, a typical teenager's behavior is God's way of helping parents to let go.)

If my kid wants to hike the AT (or PCT or any trail alone) he/she will be carrying a SPOT. Can I make them? No. Can I make it a condition for getting financial assistant with the trip or afterwards (eg. school)? Absolutely.

modiyooch
01-29-2010, 22:24
I started alone in Nov. Sure, my Mother was concerned, but she did not express her concern in a forceful manner. Hiking was the best thing that I ever did. I came off a different person. I am so thankful that she did not object. I respect her for it. I was able to extend the same courtesy to my kids.

SGT Rock
01-29-2010, 22:26
Hungry Howie and Kirby both did a thru-hike at 17.

modiyooch
01-29-2010, 22:28

(He cant make me not go, but it could be problamatic if he doesnt approve of me going).Will he hike with you?

modiyooch
01-29-2010, 22:30
If my kid wants to hike the AT (or PCT or any trail alone) he/she will be carrying a SPOT. Can I make them? No. Can I make it a condition for getting financial assistant with the trip or afterwards (eg. school)? Absolutely.I see trouble brewing. good luck with that.

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 22:43
Hungry Howie and Kirby both did a thru-hike at 17.

PM Kirby or the other and see if their parents would be willing to discuss it with your dad. If you make the effort to help educate your dad and yourself, it will be a great gesture of maturity. He is your dad, give him the benefit of the doubt. Good luck with it. i hope it all works out!

JAK
01-29-2010, 22:43
I can see making concessions for parents' feelings, but waiting years to do what you want so that your parents won't be uncomfortable doesn't seem like a healthy thing to do.

It is the parents' job to do the best they can and let go when they have to. (Generally, a typical teenager's behavior is God's way of helping parents to let go.)Thought of that, but my daughter is only 10, so I'll have to think about it some more, and live through it. In 11 years I'll know more. I would like her to be ready to hike the AT alone at 18, but we'll have to see how things turn out. And like you say, it won't be up to just me at the end of the day. I'm not really sure other people's opinions over the internet should matter though, with all due respect. There is nothing magical about the age of 17 or 18 or 19 or 20. They are just numbers. People need to make these judgements for themselves, not based on arbitrary numbers and statisitics.

The culture might be a little different in the States. I don't really think it is, but we don't have anything like a coming out party or high school graduation or whatever where voom, they are suddenly all grown up. I think that is just pop culture anyway. Up here, some girls go off to university or move out when they are ready, some when they are not ready, some stay home longer until they are ready, and some leave home sooner than that. I am sure it is the same down there. None of our business though, if we don't know them. Everyone is different. 18 is just a number. People are more than that.

JAK
01-29-2010, 22:51
I was on my own at 17, but if I was a young woman it would have been alot harder.
Perhaps its true that women mature sooner in many ways, but everyone is different.

JustaTouron
01-29-2010, 23:02
I see trouble brewing. good luck with that.

Unlikely, none of my kids have expressed any interest in hiking that far or hiking alone.

And my kids are pretty easy to bribe. Carry the SPOT & I pay for flight to Atlanta and the bus from Maine and postage on your mail drops (plus all the goodies mom is gonna add to the package) or you do it all on your own. My kids will take the free transportation and carry the SPOT.

JAK
01-29-2010, 23:16
I just found out J.D.Salinger died.
I'm going to miss him.

schnikel
01-29-2010, 23:28
I just found out J.D.Salinger died.
I'm going to miss him.
Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but so will I.

SGT Rock
01-29-2010, 23:41
Maybe if he had a SPOT he would still be with us.

JAK
01-30-2010, 00:43
Sounds like something he might have said,
just before the war with the eskimos.

warraghiyagey
01-30-2010, 00:48
I heard he died from effects of wind chill factor. . .

dan213
01-30-2010, 03:31
I offered to equip and fully fund a thru hike for my 17 year old son and he wasn't interested. To me, it is one of the safest ways to learn planning and self reliance than I can think of and it's relatively safe.

I'll be your son for a year if you fund my thru hike ;)

Maddog
01-30-2010, 03:43
I'll be your son for a year if you fund my thru hike ;)

me too! i leave in less than a month so we gotta hurry with the adoption papers!

bfree
01-30-2010, 17:02
Lots of "girls" hike on the AT alone all the time. My own daughter did. I wonder why so many macho guys are so scared of it.

But truth be told, you are rarely alone. There are plenty of people on the trail at almost any time. It can be hard to be alone, even if you want to.

You dad should worry more if you drive alone to a concert or game.

Best to you.

Rain:sunMan

http://blog.internetnews.com/apatrizio/orly_owl.jpg

Thin Mint
01-30-2010, 17:50
I went on a long section hike when I was 22 and my father was really concerned for my safety too. Having done my research I knew it was safe but to ease my father's mind I let him join me for my first week. Once he saw how prepared I was and he met all the other hikers he realized he had nothing to worry about.

Maybe see if he'll join you for a couple days or a week.

drifters quest
01-30-2010, 21:26
My mom worries too, so do a lot of people I know. The more they learn about the trail though, the less they worry. The ones who do know about the trail think its awesome!

toothpick
01-30-2010, 22:01
Took my first hike last spring and was lucky to have a 2000 miler with me. I would have had a difficult time without him. I twisted my ankle at least 10 times and actually fell twice. If you get hurt out there and you are alone you could be in serious trouble. Advertise your hike and see if there might be someone intrested in going with you at least for a week or two. Build up your skill and confidence before going it alone. You can't aleays assume there will be someone to come along if you get into a tight spot. Sorry if I sound like your Dad but at least your Dad cares.

modiyooch
01-30-2010, 23:10
Advertise your hike... . Me thinks this is worse than hiking alone.

double d
01-30-2010, 23:19
Here's what I've learned: Have good gear, believe in yourself, develop your hiking skills (know how to use map-compass, apply first aid, watch for weather changes) build physical endurance, use common sense and hang tough if times get tough.

Doooglas
01-31-2010, 01:02
What a shame. I guess it isn't 1970 any more.

thelowend
01-31-2010, 02:46

?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please adopt me

double d
01-31-2010, 03:52
?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please adopt me
Lets both show up at his house and say,"Daddie":eek::eek:

bigcranky
01-31-2010, 09:54
What a shame. I guess it isn't 1970 any more.

Dude, that was 40 years ago. Far out, and all. :) But yeah, it's not 1970 any more.

double d
01-31-2010, 10:16
If my kid wants to hike the AT (or PCT or any trail alone) he/she will be carrying a SPOT. Can I make them? No. Can I make it a condition for getting financial assistant with the trip or afterwards (eg. school)? Absolutely.

Why set conditions? It's not your life to live (even if you gave that person life) and it is what it is, a personal long distance hike. Besides, using some goofy Spot technology or a cheap salesmanship bribe of financial support doesn't work because your insulting their intelligence.

modiyooch
01-31-2010, 11:33
Why set conditions? It's not your life to live (even if you gave that person life) and it is what it is, a personal long distance hike. Besides, using some goofy Spot technology or a cheap salesmanship bribe of financial support doesn't work because your insulting their intelligence.
It's his business if he wants to so called "bribe" his kids. I call it "ultimatums" and think it could be costly in the long run.

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 11:49
If my kid were going to do it, I wouldn't send them with a SPOT. Just a cell phone, phone card, maps, guidebook, and an insurance card.

modiyooch
01-31-2010, 11:55
If my kid were going to do it, I wouldn't send them with a SPOT. Just a cell phone, phone card, maps, guidebook, and an insurance card.In 1980, my family gave me a billy club to carry, as if I would. My older brother was a cop.

JustaTouron
01-31-2010, 14:37

It is not my goal to micromanage my kids lives. And my kids will be the first ones to tell you they have more freedom than most of their friends. Their friends will tell you that too.

While neither their mom nor dad are perfect, we have always tried to give the kids pretty wide bounds and lots of freedom to operate within. Even at a young age they rarely had to ask permission to go somewhere. But they are absolutely required to let us know where they were going, who they would be with, how they were getting there and when they would be back. Likewise if we were expecting them home at 10 pm and got a call from one of them at 9:55 let us know they would be an hour late, it was never an issue. Coming home at 11:00 pm without calling and having us worry for an hour was a major issue.

And while there has been phases where we got pushback on our notification requirements, for the most part they have come to accept and even understand the policy is because we love them and care about them. And this wasn’t just when they got older. How many parents tell their eight year old, “you can go the hotel game room, pool (it had tons of lifeguards) gift shop or snack bar whenever you want, you just need to tell us where you are going so we can find you?” My friends were shocked we would give a kid that much freedom as they would require their kids to ask permission for each trip within the hotel.

We did the same thing with money. On vacation we give the kids an allowance. When they were younger it would be day by day, as they got older it would be one set amount for the whole week. But if they run out of money, don’t ask us to buy you anything. The first time we did this they were pretty young and we were in Disney. The spending money covered any toys, ice cream, soda, candy, Disney clothes, video games, etc they might want. Meals and healthy snacks were separate. And to be perfectly fair mom and dad each had the same per diem for souvenirs, snacks, beer etc. There were some limits on how much junk and candy they could eat. They could spend it all on candy if they wanted they just couldn’t eat that much candy all at once. We gave them the option of holding their own money or having mom hold it for them. They each choose to have mom hold it, but that was their choice. First day all three spend all of their money within an hour of getting to the park despite our strong recommendation that they save some for later. And yes, there was quite a bit of whining when that evening mom and dad bought themselves an ice cream and they were out of money. But they learned. We started getting questions like, “can I afford to buy this and still have enough left over for a small candy and an ice cream?” By the fourth day everyone had ice cream after dinner.

We also let them keep what ever is left over. One trip our oldest wasn’t spending any money, watching the family eat ice cream, her brothers buy candy etc. The third day when she passed on mini golf and said she would just watch the rest of the family play we asked her why. (She loves mini golf) She responded that between the vacation allowance and the money she saved from her birthday she was gonna buy a DVD player at Walmart when we got home. Both me and my wife’s initial reaction was “hey we gave you that money to spend on vacation, we expect you to spend it on vacation” but after we thought about for a while, we changed our minds and decided, if a DVD player is what matters most to her that is her choice.

My kids are much better at managing money than any of their friends.

I would never do what 10-K did and tell my child I would fund an AT hike. If I am gonna fund a once in a lifetime adventure for my kid, then my kids gets to choose what that adventure would be (within limits). 10-K’s dream was to hike the AT, not his son’s. If my kid would rather spend a month backpacking thru Europe or spend two months exploring Costa Rica then that is his/her choice and just as good of a learning experience. But regardless of the destination he/she is carrying a SPOT or needs to find a phone each and every evening.

As parent there is no sweeter sound than hearing the front door slam as your last child comes home for the evening. Neither me nor mom sleeps well if the kids are out at dance, or the movies etc until they come home.

I don’t think my parents or in-laws are trying to manage my life just because they expect a phone call when we return home from a car trip. And I am not managing my kids AT trip by requiring they carry a SPOT and each evening hit the “OK” button when they get to camp, so we can sleep soundly.

And as for whether bribery is insulting. My employer bribes me come to work. I bribe stores and service providers every day. I don’t see why my bribing my kid to carry a SPOT would be more insulting than me bribing the store to give me groceries.

1azarus
01-31-2010, 14:46
If my kid were going to do it, I wouldn't send them with a SPOT. Just a cell phone, phone card, maps, guidebook, and an insurance card.
finally, the ultimate ultralight equipment list -- thanks sgt rock!

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 15:21
I don’t think my parents or in-laws are trying to manage my life just because they expect a phone call when we return home from a car trip. And I am not managing my kids AT trip by requiring they carry a SPOT and each evening hit the “OK” button when they get to camp, so we can sleep soundly.

I just read this and wanted to just interject: What will you do if the kids don't have good coverage one night and you don't get an OK message?

It happens. The technology isn't perfect 100% of the time.

JustaTouron
01-31-2010, 15:29
I just read this and wanted to just interject: What will you do if the kids don't have good coverage one night and you don't get an OK message?

It happens. The technology isn't perfect 100% of the time.

We will be an absolutely nervous wreck. Just like the night my daughter went on a ski trip and the phones weren't working at the hotel.

But my understanding is that SPOT has outstanding coverage (unlike cellphones) that is why I said a SPOT instead of a cell phone.

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 15:33
I've read some reviews by users that say they have had issues with coverage, especially with ground cover. The AT has lots of ground cover.

I'm not trying to talk you out of is, I just hope you realize you might be expecting more than it can deliver. The issue won't be with the equipment though, it will have to be with how you decide to handle it. Can you assure yourself that someone is OK as long as no news is good news?

prain4u
01-31-2010, 15:44
Three Points: 1) Parents routinely send their 17 and 18 year olds off to college and don't think twice about it. Yet, they worry immensely about their kids being on the AT. Crime and suicide statistics show that colleges and universities are far more dangerous than the AT. 2) Parents often worry about a "child" (just out of high school or just out of college) hiking the AT. If that same "child" was in the military, the "child" could theoretically be serving in Afghanistan or Iraq. Some might even be team leaders or squad leaders. Heck, just out of college, they might even be a platoon leader. These "kids" are not as fragile as we parents want to think! 3) College and military leaders freely acknowledge that we live in a new era. Parents "hover" over their young adult children more than ever and the children also "cling" to their parents more than ever. Colleges and the military are having to develop ways to deal with this new phenomenon. Even in the Marine Corps, official websites permit parents to stay in touch with what types of things their recruit is doing on any given week of Basic Training. It is a whole new world!

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 15:53
Yep. When I was a 1SG it amazed me when a parent called or the Red Cross called to get the status of a soldier because they hadn't heard from the kid in a couple of days.

JustaTouron
01-31-2010, 15:54
I've read some reviews by users that say they have had issues with coverage, especially with ground cover. The AT has lots of ground cover.

I'm not trying to talk you out of is, I just hope you realize you might be expecting more than it can deliver. The issue won't be with the equipment though, it will have to be with how you decide to handle it. Can you assure yourself that someone is OK as long as no news is good news?

Actually it really is not an issue at all as none of my kids have expressed the least bit of interest in hiking the AT. My response that if my kid was going to hike the AT alone they would be carrying a SPOT.

I got one who is talking about backpacking in Europe (but in cities so that can be handled by email and phone and she is talking about doing it with three friends which makes me less worried than alone) and another that wants to go to Costa Rica but he would be in large organized group.

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 15:55
Roger that.

modiyooch
01-31-2010, 16:31
FYI My daughter was in Japan for a semester. SKYPE was an absolute life saver for me.

JT, all that's well and good, my point is at age 18 you will need to adjust your approach. you came off sounding like "my way or the highway" Basically, I know how you feel. I also know that at age 18 we step back and let them build on the foundation that we gave them. AND PRAY AND TRUST.

double d
01-31-2010, 17:30
[QUOTE=JustaTouron;961707]It is not my goal to micromanage my kids lives.
*Answer: But you do.
And my kids will be the first ones to tell you they have more freedom than most of their friends. Their friends will tell you that too.
*Answer: Define "freedom"? Besides, your "kids" seem to be of adult age.

While neither their mom nor dad are perfect, we have always tried to give the kids pretty wide bounds and lots of freedom to operate within. Even at a young age they rarely had to ask permission to go somewhere. But they are absolutely required to let us know where they were going, who they would be with, how they were getting there and when they would be back. Likewise if we were expecting them home at 10 pm and got a call from one of them at 9:55 let us know they would be an hour late, it was never an issue. Coming home at 11:00 pm without calling and having us worry for an hour was a major issue.
*Answer: You love your children and care about them, I'm sure they love you back as well, no problem there.

As parent there is no sweeter sound than hearing the front door slam as your last child comes home for the evening. Neither me nor mom sleeps well if the kids are out at dance, or the movies etc until they come home.
*Answer: True, you and your wife love your children.

And I am not managing my kids AT trip by requiring they carry a SPOT and each evening hit the “OK” button when they get to camp, so we can sleep soundly.
*Answer: Yes, you are and I doubt Spot technology will help you sleep better, as its nothing more then goofy technology made to give us a "false" sense of security.

And as for whether bribery is insulting. My employer bribes me come to work.
*Answer: Mine doesn't, I love my job, no bribe needed from my employer.

I bribe stores and service providers every day. I don’t see why my bribing my kid to carry a SPOT would be more insulting than me bribing the store to give me groceries.
*Answer: Well.....you are insulting their intelligence, in my opinion, because your love is conditional and your equating it to a capitalistic exchange, not love and support. Please read this quote: "Any society (or person for that matter) willing to sacrifice their liberty for a little bit of security, deserve neither". Ben Franklin

double d
01-31-2010, 17:39
We will be an absolutely nervous wreck. Just like the night my daughter went on a ski trip and the phones weren't working at the hotel.

But my understanding is that SPOT has outstanding coverage (unlike cellphones) that is why I said a SPOT instead of a cell phone.

*True, but no always, at least that is what I've read and heard.

Also, I'm not trying to be funny here, but once a girlfriend and I were sking in Colorado and she told her parents that the hotel's phones didn't work and we didn't want to be interupted by a parents phone call. Its interesting to note that the phone worked the next morning, I guess all that sking and being young (I was about 21 at the time), well it gets the heart rate up, if you know what I mean;)

JustaTouron
01-31-2010, 18:08
*True, but no always, at least that is what I've read and heard.

Also, I'm not trying to be funny here, but once a girlfriend and I were sking in Colorado and she told her parents that the hotel's phones didn't work and we didn't want to be interupted by a parents phone call. Its interesting to note that the phone worked the next morning, I guess all that sking and being young (I was about 21 at the time), well it gets the heart rate up, if you know what I mean;)

Thanks for sharing but.....

** I am pretty sure she wasn't sexually active at age 13.

** The three other set of parents I knew who had kids on the trip who were expecting phone calls didn't get a call either. (which only made us more nervous and had us scanning the news for bus accidents)

** The next morning we got a call from another parent who had a kid on the trip, tell us the phones were out at the hotel and a chaporone had driven into town to tell us every one was doing great and having fun.

So I am gonna take her word on it that the phones were out.

rickb
01-31-2010, 18:16
Nothing wrong for a child to feel obligated about making her parents feel comfortable about her safety and future.

Except with regard to her choice of careers and life partners, of course.

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 18:25
I know my children and I know myself. Some things (like hiking the AT) I feel comfortable letting them go out and do alone because I understand those three things (me, them, the situation). If they went out and did something I wasn't familiar with as much, then I may worry about them more. It would also depend on which kid it was. I think you ought to lighten up a little on Touron double d because you don't know him, his kids, or why he wants to be in touch. It's their business. I sure wouldn't feel a need to explain myself.

10-K
01-31-2010, 19:25
I would never do what 10-K did and tell my child I would fund an AT hike. If I am gonna fund a once in a lifetime adventure for my kid, then my kids gets to choose what that adventure would be (within limits). 10-K’s dream was to hike the AT, not his son’s..

You're coming to the party a little late.....

A year and a half ago he hiked from Springer to Fontana with me and at that time expressed interest in hiking the whole trail by himself (he had just turned 17). Last summer I offered to fund his thru if he still wanted to do it but he had just moved to Asheville and wasn't interested any longer. Maturity isn't a problem with my son... He is self supporting and living 400 miles from us and he turned 18 last May.

Prior to that I followed the adventures of Kirby, a young man who thru-hiked when he was 17 and learned a lot from him and the negotiations he went through with his parents.

FWIW, my son has hiked 300 or so miles of the AT with me and extensively in Big South Fork with friends.

weary
01-31-2010, 20:54
I don't know why many assume if your starting the hike alone, you will stay alone. It not like your going to some forsaken wilderness at the ends of the Earth.

If you start at Springer on any given day in March through May, you will likely be with a group of hikers from day one. Day two at the latest. What's not likely is that any of them knew each other before that day. Its more common to start alone then it is with someone you already know.
That was certainly true in 1993, and I've yet to see any evidence that it isn't still true.

More sadly, from all I've read, it's even more likely to be true today.

Weary

Appalachian Tater
01-31-2010, 20:59

The problem with your dad's thinking is he believes you're going to be alone, and as others have hinted, you won't be unless you work REALLY hard at it.