PDA

View Full Version : Snow Peak LiteMax Stove

gravy4601
01-29-2010, 23:36
Snow Peak LiteMax Stove anyone have a recomendation on this stove seems like a good design cost a little more than the MSR pocket rockett but it's also lighter what is your openion

skinewmexico
01-30-2010, 01:08
Snowpeak makes great stoves, that put out a fraction of the CO that the Pocket Rocket puts out. And the PR has a flame like a cutting torch. But the Pocket Rocket is one of the holy names on WB, llike Thermarest Neo, JetBoil, Campmor down bag, etc.

gravy4601
01-30-2010, 01:47
Snow Peak LiteMax Stove Specs

Specification

Description

Weight (without fuel)1.9 ouncesDimensions3 x 2.7 x 1.3 inchesFuelGigaPower canisters Average boil time5 min. 35 sec. Fuel capacity220 gramsBurn time (max flame)(100 grams of fuel) 46 minutesWater boiled per 100g fuel8.2 litersEase of operationExcellent Cold weather useFair Stove stabilityFair Pot stabilityGood Ability to simmerExcellent

MSR Pocket Rocket Backpacking Stove Specs

Specification

Description

Suggested useBackpacking/mountaineering Weight (without fuel)3 ouncesDimensions4.1 x 2.1 x 2 inchesFuelIsobutane Average boil time3 min. 58 sec. Fuel capacity227g canister Burn time (max flame)(100g canister) 26 minutesWater boiled per 100g fuel6.6 litersEase of operationExcellent Cold weather useFair Stove stabilityExcellent Pot stabilityFair

gravy4601
01-30-2010, 01:51
seems it's 50-50 one heats faster and burns fuel faster the other burns slower and concerves fuel

rusty075
01-30-2010, 03:13
I used a LiteMax for my Thru last year. It did its job without complaint.

I ended up picking it over the Pocket Rocket because I like LiteMax's pot supports better. Those flimsy wobbly legs on the PR just worried me. The LiteMax also folds up smaller, and its burner head spreads the flame over a wider area than the blowtorch-like PR, which maybe helps simmering and might reduce scorching. I still managed to burn my share of mac&cheese though.

I did find that it liked the Snow Peak brand fuel better, particularly in the cold. But any brand would work, and in warmer weather there was no discernible performance difference.

white_russian
01-30-2010, 08:17
If you want to talk about cost then look at the Snow Peak Giga Power. Much better stove at the same price as a MSR Pocket Rocket.

g8trh8tr
01-30-2010, 09:39
Personally I think both are quality stoves and would perform well.

gunner76
01-30-2010, 09:52
After looking at all the canister stoves I bought the Snow Peak Lite Max.
My postage scale says its weights 2 oz vrs the 1.9 oz stated by Snow Peak...minor issue.

I have found it to be very stable (for its type of stove) and love the way it folds up. I have not had a chance to use it in cold weather yet.

Yes that is a Coleman fuel canister in the picture as I have not found any Snow Peak canisters where I live

Kerosene
01-30-2010, 12:27
Here's the way I think about it: I bring a canister stove (over an alkie) on a section hike for convenience, not pure speed. I'd rather wait a minute or two more for the water to boil and save the weight in the stove and fuel.

Regardless of your choice, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your purchase.

Spokes
01-30-2010, 14:17
After looking at all the canister stoves I bought the Snow Peak Lite Max.
My postage scale says its weights 2 oz vrs the 1.9 oz stated by Snow Peak...minor issue.

Probably 1.9 oz without the metal tag (?).