PDA

View Full Version : Is this tent good for long hikes?

Brian321
01-30-2010, 00:43
Hello i am just wondering if this tent would be good for long hiking trips? Thanks for the tips.

SGT Rock
01-30-2010, 00:45
Which one is it?

gravy4601
01-30-2010, 01:01
there isnt one those are the lightest ones

Brian321
01-30-2010, 01:30
Sorry i forgot to post the link LOL

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat20103_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat20103&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=20&parentType=index&parentId=cat20103&id=0031780

JAK
01-30-2010, 01:38
It will work. You will find it heavy after a while, and you will find other options both cheaper and lighter, but there are worse ways to start.

But yeah, it does kinda makes your butt look big.

Maddog
01-30-2010, 02:22
it's not too bad. there are definitely ligher alternatives. good luck. :)

Maddog
01-30-2010, 02:23
lighter!!!!

Brian321
01-30-2010, 02:51
I am open to suggestions for lighter and definately cheaper? I have been looking for awhile but have no luck seeing how i dont know where to look.Thanks

Maddog
01-30-2010, 03:08
I am open to suggestions for lighter and definately cheaper? I have been looking for awhile but have no luck seeing how i dont know where to look.Thanks

i'm a hammmok hanger now...that set up is under 3lbs. my first tent was the eurecka solitaire...2.5lbs from bass.pro shop...i think it was $69 or $79. its not a bad little tent. i never had any problems with it! you might also want to look into tarp tents! it all depends what your into! hyoh! ymmv! good luck! :)

Mountain Wildman
01-30-2010, 03:56
http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/CategoryID_2145/Context_2144/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/ERKTS.html?Hit=1 (2lbs. 14 ounces) $59.95

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/CategoryID_2145/Context_2144/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/SDSTLY.html?Hit=1 (3 lbs. 6 ounces) $126.95

jeremyduncan
01-30-2010, 04:30
Hello i am just wondering if this tent would be good for long hiking trips? Thanks for the tips.

Haha. I literally LOLd when I seen you forgot to mention the tent here. Not making fun, I can relate to having brain farts. :)

That is a 2 person tent. Is that what you're looking for?

I just bought the Eureka Spitfire for $90 on ebay. New. I have heard a lot of good things about it, and it's under 3lbs. Definitely only a 1 person, job, though.

The link to that Sierra Designs Light Year for $126 is a real good deal. I almost would have bought that, had I found one so cheap.

jrwiesz
01-30-2010, 05:25

Which one is it?

there isnt one those are the lightest ones

This is the greatest combination of posts since I have been here at WB.

I can't stop laughing. :D It's priceless.

I'm wondering, does it hold up well in the rain? :-? Looks quick and easy to pitch. :D

Somebody slap me! :sun

BrianLe
01-30-2010, 13:37
Seems like some basic questions have to be answered before someone can recommend a tent. Single wall or double wall? Do you carry trekking poles? Do you care if it's free-standing?

I suggest looking at some single-wall choices from tarptent.com and sixmoondesigns.com

Brian321
01-30-2010, 14:51
Seems like some basic questions have to be answered before someone can recommend a tent. Single wall or double wall? Do you carry trekking poles? Do you care if it's free-standing?

I suggest looking at some single-wall choices from tarptent.com and sixmoondesigns.com
Well i have not hiked before but i have camped alot so i dont know if i need/want trekking poles or not:-?, And i really dont know the difference in single or double wall. But im not to picky i just want something durable that will last and lightweight.

Inwoods
01-30-2010, 17:25
Search the threads here on this site. You will find a ton of info. If this tent is in your price range, size reqirement, and so on... it will be fine. however there are ALOT of clearance sales going on right now, and you can probably find something much lighter at or around the same price.

Tinker
01-30-2010, 18:31
The tent you choose should be determined by the situations you will find yourself in and not by price alone. LL Bean makes a nice 1 and 2 person tent for warm weather usage. They are not freestanding, but freestanding tents, made of the same materials, with the same interior dimensions, are almost always heavier (requiring at least 2 poles, usually longish), and freestanding tents need to be staked down in windy weather or they may blow down, or, at the least, suffer bent poles.
Cabela's is a good place to start. Look also at www.sierratradingpost.com (http://www.sierratradingpost.com) and www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com) ("hot tent deals") for good products at lower than average prices.

brooklynkayak
01-31-2010, 09:39
Definitely do your homework if you want to buy a tent that you won't be replacing soon.

Check out Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, Oware, Mountain Laurel Designs, Goassamer Gear and many of the companies that make backpacking shelters. I have never seen a backpacking tent at Sierra Trading and the only backpacking tents I've ever seen at Campmor are the Silnylon tarps, but you need to learn how to use one of those.
The big mailorder places usually only sell backyard and car camping tents.

Don H
02-01-2010, 16:58
I've had one of these for 4 years now and I wouldn't change:
http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html
More floor space, half the weight but twice the price of the one you were looking at/

gravy4601
02-03-2010, 00:41
This is the greatest combination of posts since I have been here at WB.

I can't stop laughing. :D It's priceless.

I'm wondering, does it hold up well in the rain? :-? Looks quick and easy to pitch. :D

Somebody slap me! :sun

well it was very easy to setup but tryed to get in before the rain and couldnt find the door

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 01:16
One thing is for sure Brian,
If you spend the money and buy a good quality lightweight tent you will not regret it.
I narrowed it down to 3 tents, Henry Shires Tarptent(Squall 2), Six Moon Designs(Lunar Duo) or The Lightheart (Solo or Duo)
I prefer room to move so I always buy at least a 2 person tent.
And that gives me the ability to accomodate a guest. If I was planning on 2 people, I would get the Tarptent Rainshadow 2 for sure!!!
Take it for what it is!

BrianLe
02-03-2010, 02:17
"I prefer room to move so I always buy at least a 2 person tent."

IMO the Tarptent Contrail is designed for people like you --- someone it's a solo tent that's pretty darned roomy. Of course these things are subjective, maybe you wouldn't agree, but to me at least, it's a single-walled palace for one.

I actually own a Squall 2 as well, but just for when my wife and I hike together. A ~10 oz savings between the two (Squall 2 vs. Contrail) is nothing to sneeze at, for me at least; I think the Lightheart duo is about the same weight as the Squall 2, and the Lunar duo is a bit heavier.

Note, however, that since the O.P. doesn't know if he'll end up carrying a trekking pole or not, the total weight for him could be 2 oz heavier (http://www.tarptent.com/cgi-bin/surfshop/shop.cgi?ud=BgIPDgEDAgIFCRQUHR***wEHBQEHBwkJBgISEQ AA&t=main.htm&storeid=1&sortby=categories,itemid&cols=3&c=detail.htm&itemid=89&bcount=1), FWIW ...

Brian321
02-03-2010, 02:28
IMO the Tarptent Contrail is designed for people like you --- someone it's a solo tent that's pretty darned roomy. Of course these things are subjective, maybe you wouldn't agree, but to me at least, it's a single-walled palace for one.

I actually own a Squall 2 as well, but just for when my wife and I hike together. A ~10 oz savings between the two (Squall 2 vs. Contrail) is nothing to sneeze at, for me at least; I think the Lightheart duo is about the same weight as the Squall 2, and the Lunar duo is a bit heavier.

Note, however, that since the O.P. doesn't know if he'll end up carrying a trekking pole or not, the total weight for him could be 2 oz heavier (http://www.tarptent.com/cgi-bin/surfshop/shop.cgi?ud=BgIPDgEDAgIFCRQUHR***wEHBQEHBwkJBgISEQ AA&t=main.htm&storeid=1&sortby=categories,itemid&cols=3&c=detail.htm&itemid=89&bcount=1), FWIW ...
Are trekking poles worth it? I dont mind useing them if they will benefit me, I just dont wanna carry them around and not need them.

BrianLe
02-03-2010, 02:33
"Are trekking poles worth it? I dont mind useing them if they will benefit me, I just dont wanna carry them around and not need them."

This is a topic that raises a fair bit of passion periodically, and ultimately can only be answered by you. There is a tendancy for older hikers to migrate to poles, but some younger folks too find them worth carrying to save their knees. Some like to take a single pole for stream crossings and the like, and FWIW a single pole is what most of the lighter single-wall tents require.

If you search this forum (and others) you'll unquestionably find multiple threads debating the merits of poles ad nauseum, so I hope that all doesn't get repeated here. Here's one example (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55784&highlight=trekking+pole) of such a thread.

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 02:41
I read many reviews and they all said the same thing, They wished they started using them sooner.

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 02:45
Poles kept one person from falling off a mountain, use them to hold uncontrolled dogs at bay, shoo snakes off the trail, definitely will come in handy on the bog boards in maine.

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 02:50
The contrail is nice, I was looking at it the other day, But Is there enough room to keep my pack inside, I don't leave gear outside when I sleep.

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 02:51
The lightheart solo weighs 26 ounces and looks like fitting a pack would be no problem.

SurferNerd
02-03-2010, 02:52
I use my Tarptent Contrail, lightweight and perfect for me. I have slept me and my tiny fiance a few nights in it, so even though its a one man tent, it will definitely fit a couple snuggly.

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 03:17
1.5 ounces lighter than the lightheart solo, 36 bucks cheaper, a few less sq ft than the solo, solo is a double wall, tough choice. Will require much thought.

BrianLe
02-03-2010, 03:23
I have no experience with the Lightheart solo. With the contrail, I typically do keep my pack and everything inside. If for some reason I really want to spread stuff out I occasionally put the pack and some things that I don't use during the night in a black plastic 30 gallon sized yard waste bag and keep it outside the tent in that, but it's not necessary.