PDA

View Full Version : Music on the Trail

RGB
01-30-2010, 06:21
I love guitar, but unfortunately they weigh a lot. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about that on my thru-hike. Even something like a Martin Backpacker is going to impractical for that amount of time. So far I can only think of two solutions:

Bumming one off a section-hiker every now and then, which can be misconstrued as rude and douchey,

OR

Are there any music stores in any of the trail towns that I could spend a few minutes in?

white_russian
01-30-2010, 08:10
Most section hikers don't carry them either and you are not going to find many music stores in some of these one horse towns along the trail.

If you want to indulge you have to carry your weigh just like any other indulgence.

Maybe try learning mandolin, they are cheap and light.

Wheeler
01-30-2010, 11:21
Mandolin or a Uke. they're pretty cheap.

johnnybgood
01-30-2010, 11:36
Carry a compact travel guitar like the martin backpacker.

www.amazon.com/martinbackpacker-string-acoustic (http://www.amazon.com/martinbackpacker-string-acoustic)

johnnybgood
01-30-2010, 11:43
I love guitar, but unfortunately they weigh a lot. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about that on my thru-hike. Even something like a Martin Backpacker is going to impractical for that amount of time. So far I can only think of two solutions:

Bumming one off a section-hiker every now and then, which can be misconstrued as rude and douchey,

OR

Are there any music stores in any of the trail towns that I could spend a few minutes in?
oops ! I reread your post ....you already know about the Martin. :)

chief
01-30-2010, 13:19
I'm sure you're a real troubadour, but leave your guitar at home, lest some hiker goes all John Belushi on you!

Spokes
01-30-2010, 14:14
Penny whistle?

DawnTreader
01-30-2010, 14:19
Aight walkin' dude... I too am the dude, and I can assure you.. the dude abides.. Why don't you pull a Les Straud and pack in a small harmonica??? Just make sure your not annoying anyone in shelters towns ect...

Chaco Taco
01-30-2010, 15:02
I'm sure you're a real troubadour, but leave your guitar at home, lest some hiker goes all John Belushi on you!

Dont leave the guitar at home. Some hikers are real party poopers. Just dont stay around shelters and you will be fine. There will be lots out there for you to bum off of.

Chaco Taco
01-30-2010, 15:05
Just make sure your not annoying anyone in shelters towns ect...

Wow you shelter jumpers are sensitive. List of whats annoying
1. Snoring
2. Moving around.
3. Too many people
4. Peeing to close
5. Guitars
6. FUN

So the thing to remember, stay away from shelters and the annoying hikers that dont like to adapt to everyone else.

v5planet
01-30-2010, 16:18
My thru partner is starting with a compact backpacking guitar. I'm wondering how long he'll keep it!

chief
01-30-2010, 16:35
So the thing to remember, stay away from shelters and the annoying hikers that dont like to adapt to everyone else.Yeah that's it, go have yourself a kum-ba-yah moment with all those adaptable hikers who avoid shelters!

RGB
01-30-2010, 16:57
Thanks for reminding me about harmonicas...I have three and that didn't even come to mind for some reason. That will probably be my plan A. Carrying a guitar of any size or shape is just simply out of the question. If I can foresee myself getting tired of carrying something that's not a necessity, it's best to not take it at all. As far as annoying anyone at shelters, that won't be a problem, because shelters annoy me. I tend to pitch as far away as possible.

sbhikes
01-30-2010, 20:10
You could try a Strumstick (http://www.strumstick.com/).

prain4u
01-30-2010, 22:26
You could always play an MP3 player---with ear buds. lol