PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a trail running shoe and a hiking shoe?

alstonfered
01-30-2010, 06:27
HI friends
I have been hiking a lot lately and have just been using my nike running shoes, I have been struggling as I have been getting into steeper terrain, so I am needing a better hiking shoe, will trail running shoes work, or do I have to get hiking shoes?

Maddog
01-30-2010, 06:44
HI friends
I have been hiking a lot lately and have just been using my nike running shoes, I have been struggling as I have been getting into steeper terrain, so I am needing a better hiking shoe, will trail running shoes work, or do I have to get hiking shoes?

trail runners should work fine! happy trails! :)

gumball
01-30-2010, 07:17
Trail runners will usually work very well. The difference is in the thickness and pliability of the bottom of the shoe. A trail runner is much more flexible and not as sturdy as a hiking shoe.

I've done most of my hiking in trail runners, but I will occasionally wear an Adidas
"outdoor" shoe--even though I pack pretty light, I have flat arches and there is some additional comfort offset by the additional support of the outdoor shoe. The weight is a bit more than a runner, but in rougher terrain or if my pack is a bit more than my desirable 30 lbs, I will switch over.

Kind of individual preference.

JAK
01-30-2010, 07:19
If trail runners aren't adequate, you are carrying too much weight.

John B
01-30-2010, 07:49
There is as much variation in trail running shoes as there is in hiking boots. Just yesterday I received a copy of "Club Running," which is a mag that focuses on trail running. On page 28, they review 4 trail shoes. For example, hte Minunzo Wave Cabrakan has an agressive tread pattern that is deeply lugged and weighs 13.9 ounces. The New Balance MT 100 is an ultralight trail shoe with a low profile and weighs 8 ounces. The Saucony Razor is a hightop running shoe often used when there is snow, it too is deeply lugged, it's waterproof, an weighs 15.3 ounces. In short, you need to think about what you need for the trail. Personally I would avoid ultralight shoes because the soles lack the support and firmness of their heavier versions. But THE most important criteria of all, regardless of trail runner or hiking boot, is fit. You absolutely must find something that you'll be comfortable in while carrying a pack all day. If you don't, you'll be miserable and most likely injured in short order. For myself, I've used both boots and trail runners. While I like the lightness of trail runners, I need the support of hiking boots (I have flat feet and pronate). I've found that light hiking boots work best for me personally, but many (most?) seem to prefer trail runners. Give the question lots of thought -- it'll be one of your most important hiking gear decisions.

Darwin again
01-30-2010, 09:22
I started out my thru wearing Dunham Nimble shoes, which are no longer available. I wish I'd bought ten pair. Dunham and New Balance make shoes in the wide sizes I need (4EEEE) and I still wear New Balance on trail and off, though the quality between models and lasts seems to vary a bit. Some models are better designed and built than others. Back in 2005, I had a pair of Dunham Cloud 9 light hiking boots on which the sorta-leather upper cracked after just one day of easy walking in Shenandoah NP. My feet felt great, but the uppers were crap. I had a pair of New Balance last year that made my hips ache for some reason.

I've got a pair of New Balance 621s this year that feel good. They're an all terrain shoe that are about as light as I can tolerate. Mesh tops for ventilation. To my mind, waterproof shoes are a scam -- they just keep your feet wet once they get wet and are mostly cost prohibitive for the job they have to do. More expensive isn't necessarily better -- it's all about what works for your feet, the amount of weight you carry and your hiking style.

I also take the time to superglue all the stitching on my trail shoes. The treads and internal support will fail before the threads come undone or fray. Regardless of the shoe, I get about 300 trail miles out of them, then they're done, I start to get aches and pains in weird places owing to the internal cushioning wearing out. I also use Montrail thermo-moldable inserts in my shoes now, which make all the difference. They cost about 30 bucks I think, but my feet thank me for them (In my off-trail life, I'm on my feet all day, mostly on concrete.)

When I'm walking and I get wet feet, they are usually dry within an hour if they aren't constantly getting rewetted. Changing socks solves the problem. Also, I've never had any problems with snow or cold weather in trail runners, I just wear low gaiters with them; and only in the foulest weather, with wind pants.

I'll likely never go back to boots. I still have my Merrill Wilderness in the attic.:D

Spokes
01-30-2010, 09:32
Gumball nailed the difference between the two designs-both negligible. I suggest you let "comfort" be the deciding factor.

nitewalker
01-30-2010, 09:38
i agree with all the good advice from above about what shoes to wear. the most important aspect about your shoes will be how they feel on your feet. when you find what works for you stick with it. i find the best way to get used to a trail shoe is to buy two pair of what you like. use the 1st pair at home and around town for your everyday uses and by the time your on the trail your feet will have memorized the type of shoe your wearing and thus you will have no problems once you really start to do some big miles. it seems when i find a shoe that fits really well i will apply this method of thinking. just something else to ponder!!

nitewalker
01-30-2010, 09:42
forgot to mention the 2nd pair of shoes but it should be obvious. put them on when hiking only that way you dont wear out the treads...ugggh "mornings can be tough". another coffee to gather my thoughts!!:D

Bearpaw
01-30-2010, 12:03
There are really three categories of low-cut trail shoe.

Trail runners. These have fairly aggressive treads, but are the lightest of the bunch. Their midsole is designed to absorb shock from running. This is great for the ankles, knees, hips, and lower back, but comes at a sacrifice of support for the foot, which tends to stretch more, both in muscle, bone, and connective tissue. The Salomon XA series and Vasque Blur and Velocity are examples.

Cross-trainers. Cross trainers are a little bit heavier than trail runners. Their mid-sole is firmer than a trail runner, and they are not recommended for sustained running. However, they tend to support the foot better than the more cushioned trail runner. Often a better choice for hiking than a straight trail runner. Examples include the Merrell Moab or Siren.

Low-cut hikers. These are considerably heavier than the previous two categories, some times as much as a very lightweight boot. This is due to a shank, a solid plastic plate in the midsole that gives rigid support like most boots. Some are half-length, some 3/4's, some full lenghth. Pick up the display shoe and bend it . You will immediately feel the difference in a shoe with a shank. Much more rigid, and not inclined to much flexion. Examples include the Lowa Tempest Low, Vasque Breeze Low, and most of the shoes in the Merrell Chameleon line.

Which is best? It really depends on you feet, your weight, your pack weight, and the nature of the trails you hike most. Smoother trails will likely be more inclined toward lighter shoes. Rockier trails often feel more comfortable with a firmer midsole.

Kerosene
01-30-2010, 12:15
Another feature I tend to value is the size and rigidity of the toe rand, that piece of material that sort of looks like the outsole trying to digest the top of the toes. At the end of a long day of hiking over rough terrain, there's nothing worse than banging your toes several times in a row trying to lift them over the inevitable rocks. Toe rands vary quite a bit between manufacturers, even within the same type of shoe as Bearpaw so nicely categorizes above.

Besides leaning toward a bigger, harder toe rand, I also value stickier, more lugged outsoles. I have also gotten to the point where I will no longer buy a "waterproof" boot, although I'd rather not get a full mesh shoe either.

jrwiesz
01-30-2010, 12:35
Montrail Hardrocks. :sun

Spokes
01-30-2010, 13:39
Montrail Hardrocks. :sun

There were lots of opinions expressed about these on the trail last year. A definite love/hate relationship ensued that appeared to revolve around the "old" and the "new" design.

"Not lasting as long, not as comfortable, different feel".... were all common to the discussion.

Glad you liked your.

jrwiesz
01-30-2010, 16:52
...Glad you liked your.

Yes, so much so, as to have bought a second pair. However, the first were the 2008 model, the second were the 2007 model. They are still around, but, you have to look.

Now, I only have maybe 250-300 mile on the 2008, and 10 on the 2007 models. But, they are definitely holding up better than my Merrell Mesa hikers, especially the soles. And I have owned two pairs of the Merrells. The Montrails also dry much faster than the Merrells.

Just my experience. As you say, others have had different results.:sun

sbhikes
01-30-2010, 20:08
In what way are you struggling?

I can't think of any hill so steep that running shoes would not suffice. The only reason I might want to switch to trail runners would be if I had no traction.

So it would help to know how you are struggling.

Rick500
01-30-2010, 20:39
[...] I've got a pair of New Balance 621s this year that feel good. They're an all terrain shoe that are about as light as I can tolerate. Mesh tops for ventilation. [...]

I also take the time to superglue all the stitching on my trail shoes. The treads and internal support will fail before the threads come undone or fray. [...]

I recently bought a pair of New Balance 572's. I did try on the 621's as well and thought they felt great, but the 572's felt about the same and were a little less expensive at the time.

Supergluing the seams sounds like a good idea...think I'll borrow that.

sharky
02-01-2010, 00:53
The main differences are the weight (low hikers being heavier) and the stiffness of the soles, which impacts how much of the rocks under your feet you really feel. Although the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra's are very rigid yet light and durable they are not as flexible as the XA Comp line. The low hikers are really good for not feeling every single rock under your foot, but this is because of how still the sole is such as the Garmont Eclipse 3 ( great shoe by the way).
I just bought a pair of the Hardrock Mids and I love them!