PDA

View Full Version : sublite sil vs contrail

underdog
01-30-2010, 11:24
Considering TT sublite or TT contrail for a future purchase. Im 6'2" 200lbs any input would be appreciated.

garlic08
01-30-2010, 11:54
Sublite is lighter and less expensive, and probably easier to sit up in.

Contrail only needs one pole to support, and has a weather-protected door (you can leave it open in rain when the wind's right), so better ventilation in some conditions. It has a very small vestibule, which is good for shoes and socks and not much more.

skinewmexico
01-30-2010, 12:19
Why not the Moment??

Reid
01-30-2010, 13:00
I'd like to get a moment too. But the sublite is a pretty tight fit if you ask me.

Mountain Wildman
01-30-2010, 14:16
Depends on what is important to you. For $30 more than the Contrail you can get the Squall 2, Just over 2 lbs. and enough room for a guest or to keep your pack inside away from curious rodents etc...

underdog
01-30-2010, 16:09
Thanks for the input so far. The moment is a tent i should look at as well.

Bags4266
01-30-2010, 19:21
I have the Contrail, I'm 5'11 195 and there is plenty room. BUT! If I were to buy one again it would probally be the Moment. 2 reasons, 1) side entry, this gives you better views. 2) Less stakes you need to carry.

300winmag
01-30-2010, 20:41
I had a Contrail for 3 summers and it was very nice but I love my new TT Moment. The Contrail is much more a "forest tent". The Moment is an "all-terrain" 3 season tent.

1. Great ventilation & ventilation options

2. Extremely wind-worthy design (in my actual experience)

3. Fastest setup I've ever seen

4. Great vestibule - Put your pack to the left of the screened inner door and cook in front of the door, out of the rain.

5. Great details designed in.

GeneralLee10
01-30-2010, 22:04
I had a Contrail for 3 summers and it was very nice but I love my new TT Moment. The Contrail is much more a "forest tent". The Moment is an "all-terrain" 3 season tent.

1. Great ventilation & ventilation options

2. Extremely wind-worthy design (in my actual experience)

3. Fastest setup I've ever seen

4. Great vestibule - Put your pack to the left of the screened inner door and cook in front of the door, out of the rain.

5. Great details designed in.

Do you have any or know of any videos on the setup of the Moment? I have been looking at this tent for a while now. How long have you had it the rain and how many days have you used this tent? My thing is just bought a new tarp so I really don't want to come off the cash. Sorry for all the questions.

garlic08
01-31-2010, 00:34
The Moment sure looks tempting, and I may consider it if my Contrail ever gives out. My only concern is the hoop pole. I had one in my first Tarptent, the Virga, and it broke once, so I'm shy of hoops. The beauty of the Contrail is it's total simplicity and lack of failure points. There's definitely a trade-off in ease of set-up--the Contrail is tricky to get right.

300winmag
02-02-2010, 04:10
MOMENT SETUP>
1.place pole in hoop sleeve & clip into end grommets

2.stake out left end & spread CF inverted V poles
3.stake out right end after pulling tent taught & spread CF inverted V poles

That's it. 2 minutes or less. Sets up completely taught every time. No fussing.

Eric

300winmag
02-02-2010, 04:12
Videos on Moment setup? Hmmm... Maybe Hendrik Morkle from Findland has one. GOOGLE his site.

Eric