PDA

View Full Version : Which Therm-a-rest pad to buy out of these?

Brian321
01-31-2010, 02:01
I am looking at the Z-Lite pad or the Ridge rest pad, Which one is gonna be more comfortable? I dont mind the weight/size difference i just want comfort. Here is a link if needed.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0066801&navCount=9&parentId=cat601642&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20075-cat601642&parentType=index&indexId=cat601642&rid=

Also if anyone has suggestions i would love to hear them, but i kind of dont want to spend more than $50 on a sleeping pad just yet.(unless i get out there and really need it.)Thanks.

Mountain Wildman
01-31-2010, 03:59
Not sure which one is more comfortable, I have the Neo-Air.
But, If you go to www.moosejaw.com (http://www.moosejaw.com) and enter SPAD15 for the coupon code in the cart/checkout screen you will get 15% off. Moosejaw has the same price as Cabelas and if you spend $49 dollars you get free shipping, And points that can be accumulated and used to get free stuff.
Check it out if you have never been to the Moosejaw site, It's pretty cool.

mister krabs
01-31-2010, 09:07
If you want comfort, a therm-a-rest trail model is about the same price and much more comfortable. A small is 15 oz.

Colter
01-31-2010, 09:21
I carried a Z-rest on the Appalachian Trail in 2001. It wore out in a few hundred miles. I carried a Ridgerest on the CDT and it worked great. It's cheap, comfortable, and bomber (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=12413&cat=Sleeping%20Pads%20-%20Foam&cid=41).

bigcranky
01-31-2010, 09:53
How much do you weight? I own both pads, and I don't find the Z-rest as comfortable as the Ridge Rest, but I am over 200 pounds, which flattens the egg-crate pattern in the Z-rest. My daughter was happy with the Z-rest.

Wise Old Owl
01-31-2010, 09:58
How much do you weight? I own both pads, and I don't find the Z-rest as comfortable as the Ridge Rest, but I am over 200 pounds, which flattens the egg-crate pattern in the Z-rest. My daughter was happy with the Z-rest.

I 2nd his opinion. same result.

Egads
01-31-2010, 10:16
I am looking at the Z-Lite pad or the Ridge rest pad, Which one is gonna be more comfortable? I dont mind the weight/size difference i just want comfort. Here is a link if needed.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0066801&navCount=9&parentId=cat601642&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20075-cat601642&parentType=index&indexId=cat601642&rid=

Also if anyone has suggestions i would love to hear them, but i kind of don't want to spend more than $50 on a sleeping pad just yet.(unless i get out there and really need it.)Thanks.

If you want comfort, a therm-a-rest trail model is about the same price and much more comfortable. A small is 15 oz.

I wouldn't buy either of your choices unless I was buying for a hammock.

I would buy the therm-a-rest for ground use. I agree with Krabs about the comfort

Toolshed
01-31-2010, 10:26
I picked up a couple of Ridge Rests in 96 on closeout. I use them under my Thermarests when basecamping, my kids use them for camping as well as loaners to other cub scouts. They do double duty in the grass section of baseball games, as well as padding the back of the pickup truck for the toddlers to play in. I normally keep them rolled up in the back of the truck. They are 14 years old and look good as new. From a quality perspective, you get your moneys worth. However, if allowed only one pad, I would rather sleep on a Thermarest self inflating pad-it is more comfortable.

AggieAl
01-31-2010, 10:56
I decided to buy the Thermarest Ridge Deluxe because it has an R rating of 3.1. It is also comfortable. It is $34.95 at REI. Thus it is cheaper, more reliable, and warmer than a NEO.

The downside is that it is quite bulky and will have to go outside of my pack.

garlic08
01-31-2010, 11:11
I use the Z-rest mainly because I have a frameless pack and the Z-rest fits it perfectly. I've never tried the Ridgerest, but have been plenty happy with the Z-rest. I replace it every 1000 miles or so (used two on the AT). But I didn't sleep on plank floors (shelters) either. The few times I tried, it was pretty miserable. On the AT or any other nicely-wooded trail, it's so easy to find a great site on soft leaf duff, the pad is not even needed.

Snowleopard
01-31-2010, 15:04
I've had both the ridge rest and an old version of the Zlite. The Zlite was slightly more comfortable for me at about 150 lb. Like BigCranky says, if you're heavy you'll flatten it out and it won't be as comfortable. For quite a while now, I've used either a short thermarest, or now, a short Neoair.

You could get by with a $6 Walmart blue foam pad. At 23 years old, you'd get used to it quickly.

Don't skip the pad or mattress; if it's at all cold you need some insulation under you.

max patch
01-31-2010, 15:42
Neither. I'd get a small thermarest.

Tinker
01-31-2010, 16:36
I used to use a regular 1-1/2" thermarest (before they had various models) in a 3/4 length size. It was pretty good (I still have it). I tried going ul with a Zlite which wasn't warm and barely had enough foam to support my 210 lbs. Then I took a Ridgerest Deluxe with me on the Georgia section of the AT in 2006 - slept miserably, especially the last night on a shelter bunk.
Now, if I'm hiking with someone else and use a tent I bring along my Big Agnes NON-insulated mummy mattress, and if it's cold out I top it with a 3/8" blue foam (Wally World special) pad. As comfortable as the BA insulated air core and, should it go flat, offers a backup, insulation-wise, in the form of the blue foam pad.

Canada Goose
01-31-2010, 17:08
Started out with a full length standard thermarest in the old days, evolving through 3/4 ultralite, to ridgerest, to long z-rest,and finally to short z-rest.

Gave up comfort in pursuit of light weight. Was also concerned about leaky thermarest, which did happen once.

Can get dual use of z-rest in camp as sleeping pad, and as sit pad for use on rocks and logs. As noted, the longevity does suffer some. Ridgerest is better in this regard, but for my packing system is too bulky.

Will use long z-rest with 3/4 ultralite as cold weather set-up.

Lucy Lulu
01-31-2010, 17:28
I've used both, and for me it was the Ridgerest.

wvgrinder
02-25-2010, 16:25
I bought my Ridgerest for my AT hike in '91. I put 1000 miles on it that hike and have taken it on many, many other trips. I also use it almost every day as a yoga mat. There's a few little chunks out of it, but it's still in great shape. Just watch those nails in the shelters.

sparky2009
03-19-2010, 20:20
I've tried both and like the Z-rest pad better though it isn't 100% comfortable because my hip flattens out the pad. I weigh 180lbs and sleep on my side. I'm trying to decide if I should switch to an inflatable. Don't like the idea of using something that could spring a leak but I'm sure it would be more comfortable since it would keep my hip from resting on the ground. Also, I typically stay in my tent rather than the shelters so that would help with minimizing punctures.

bluffhead
06-03-2010, 00:33
if u want a z lite reg i will sell you mine never used out doors. 20 shipped?

skinewmexico
06-03-2010, 20:02
Neither, and a thermarest is so 90s. Get an insulated air mattress.

Mags
06-03-2010, 20:09
Z-lites (formerly Z-rest) fold up easier. Ridge Rest seem to last longer. It's a toss up, really.

I'm a 'blue-foamer' myself. Some people (not me) have cut theirs down to half size for warmer weather and really shaved the ounces (under the shoulders to the butt). I cut mine down for my 5'6" frame (head and ankles, use clothing, pack and/or food for pillow/foot support) and it weighs a little over 5oz.

It ain't for everyone, but it is light, cheap, durable and very usable. It insulates well enough for shoulder season backpacking (late Fall) just fine here in CO. Sure it will work fine for someone younger than my aging, bald, closer-to-40-then-30, self. ;) Go to Wally World or similar and spend the princely sum of about $10.

Inflatable pads? I don't trust anything they sell a repair kit for in terms of backcountry gear. :) (If you can't duct it...fudge it. But, I'm thinking of another word.. ;))

BigFoot2002
06-03-2010, 21:02
I like the z rest for all the other places I like padding, other than when sleeping.

Unfold it once, and its a great pad to sit on anywhere, especially picnic tables. Fold it in half once, and It's a great pad for a chair, In the right outdoor contour, its a chaise lounge.