PDA

View Full Version : is Trail Days worth the backtrack?

Roughin' It
01-31-2010, 10:19
I am leaving around March 13th for my thru, and according to my calculations, to arrive in Damascus about the time Trail Days starts, I will have to only do 7.7 miles per day. So, I am pretty sure I will be a couple hundred miles north of Damascus when TD starts. For those who have backtracked to be a part of Trail Days, is it worth it? I am sure it is a good time and all, but how hard is it to find a hitch all the way back down there? Would you have wish you just kept hiking?

Lone Wolf
01-31-2010, 10:48
I am leaving around March 13th for my thru, and according to my calculations, to arrive in Damascus about the time Trail Days starts, I will have to only do 7.7 miles per day. So, I am pretty sure I will be a couple hundred miles north of Damascus when TD starts. For those who have backtracked to be a part of Trail Days, is it worth it? I am sure it is a good time and all, but how hard is it to find a hitch all the way back down there? Would you have wish you just kept hiking?

no. not worth it. come back in 2011. it's just another party.

Elder
01-31-2010, 11:07
:sun Yes it is worth the effort...it is the Trail Days of the year You hiked.

Pay no attention to the grump behind the curtain! :rolleyes:

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2010, 11:12
If you're going to make a decision based on the number of yeas vs. neas. Then my vote is nea -- don't backtrack.

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 11:17
I'd vote no.

But you will have to figure it out for yourself. If you are with a group of friends and they all want to go back, the maybe you will want a vacation off the trail with your friends. Seems like there is always a ride to Trail Days and a ride back when it is over.

white_russian
01-31-2010, 11:19
It all depends on what kind of person you are. Some folks love it, but it is not that great to me.

garlic08
01-31-2010, 11:19
I didn't do it (backtrack), didn't even consider it, and I don't regret it at all. I went once about ten years ago because I just happened to be there, but I wouldn't go out of my way. Different story if you're going to rendevous with someone there. That was the case with the people I saw heading back.

modiyooch
01-31-2010, 11:29
I say no. I would go another year when you can have a reunion with people that you meet while hiking this year.

modiyooch
01-31-2010, 11:30
I say no. I would go another year when you can have a reunion with people that you meet while hiking this year.esp since you don't seem to live too far from Damascus

Pickleodeon
01-31-2010, 11:31
I'd say it was worth it, at least for the year of your thruhike. My group and I weren't sure that we were going to, but we ended up in Atkins right about that time. We zero'ed there and got a shuttle from a church group the next day.

It was fun, you get to see pretty much everyone you've met along the trail and you meet the people that are just ahead and behind you that you might not have ever met, or that you might run into later down the trail.

It depends on your personal level of party-ness, though. We tented in a yard of one of the b&b's for free. Right by the river and out of party-central. Or, you could choose tent city in the field with about a thousand other drunk partying hikers, but don't expect to sleep. depends what you're into, but we had a good time.

Lots of free stuff, fun, food, showers, gear repair, and meeting up with other people.

And there are a lot of people willing to give rides, especially if you stop in a trail town, like at a hostel or an outfitter, they should be able to hook you up with a ride back.

Roughin' It
01-31-2010, 11:34
esp since you don't seem to live too far from Damascus

very true. I don't think I am the type of person to go out of the sheer excitement of it all, but maybe if I find a ride, who knows.

Spokes
01-31-2010, 11:37
It was way too much of hassle for me last year so just kept on hiking. Didn't regret it one bit.

Pacific Tortuga
01-31-2010, 11:48
I'd say the question you need to ask yourself is, will you ever have a chance to pass that way, during 'Trail Days' time again ?
You show living in Virginia and young, so chances are good. Keep on truckin' north, and enjoy it some time later, like L. Wolf said.
If your healthy (no injuries) and in a "hiking zone" mentally, don't disrupt it, any stupid thing can happen, while in a T.D. intoxication mode.

rambunny
01-31-2010, 12:59
I went back the 1st thru from Perisburg (took 3 hitches) wished i hadn't. Didn't the other 2-(too far north). But going to it the year after your hike you will love. I stayed in Abingdon for the last one i went to-(got good sleep). I agree if it happens it happens but don't interupt a good hike for it.

David@whiteblaze
01-31-2010, 14:33
Okay, I have a question... My aspiration is to hike the ECT to canada, staring in fall of '12 or '13 and then (given enough money) hike back. I need to leave pretty early to avoid the worst of the Winter in Canada, so I will more than likely be past damascus by may, but there is the possibility that I will be North of it (heading South) the next year, would that be worth it?

Slo-go'en
01-31-2010, 14:58
Trail days is one of those things you likely should experinace once in your life, but to make a special effort to get there? If the oppertunity presents it's self to get there, then it could be worth it. Hows that for a really ambiguous answer?

The one time I happend to end up at trail days, I was suffering with a bad chest cold so I didn't have a very good time and trail magic seemed to abandon me for a time while there. My opinon is therefore somewhat jaded. Though it was kinda interesting to talk to some of the equipment venders.

David@whiteblaze
01-31-2010, 15:02
Actually, that was just about perfect... I just wanted to know whether it was more of a day-hiker or a long-distance hiker type of event (or both) so that I could budget approprately.

David@whiteblaze
01-31-2010, 17:40
Forget my last... Ill probably pass it in January or February, and then around October, if all goes according to plan :rolleyes:

AUhiker90
01-31-2010, 17:46
I have heard rumors of trail days being moved or something. Does anyone know anything about that???

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 17:48
Very bad rumors.

Other places start Trail Days like events, but the town of Damascus puts on trail days. I can't imagine the town leadership wanting to have the thing in some other town.

Chaco Taco
01-31-2010, 17:56
Dont backtrack. The Exodus out of Damascus is ridiculous.

modiyooch
01-31-2010, 17:58
I have heard rumors of trail days being moved or something. Does anyone know anything about that???bad rumor. traildays is still on, confirmed by clerk in Damascus

Pacific Tortuga
01-31-2010, 18:01
I have heard rumors of trail days being moved or something. Does anyone know anything about that???

Just more like wishful thinking by some locals, or just one alpha male. :)

Bearpaw
01-31-2010, 18:33
I didn't backtrack during my thru-hike, and I was glad I didn't. I didn't want to get stuck hitching there or trying to hitch back. I had four straight days of quiet hiking with only one other hiker, Checkdam, any where around. It was great, and I pulled into Troutville just as Trail Days was wrapping up.

I remember reading a lot of register entries from those who had gone. There were a handful of comments that said it was fun, but most were simply "back on after TD" with no real commentary that it was a great time. There was a lot more writing about the adventure of trying to get back to the AT where they's gotten off. The most memorable entry was simply "Can't get the beer smell out of my nalgene."

Unless you are a major party hound, you won't miss Trail Days all that much.

Canada Goose
01-31-2010, 19:16
Damascus is a good town stop, whether prior to, during, or post Trail Days. Some folks that arrive in town at that time enjoy the crowds and festivities. Others do not, and after resupplying will head out again.

As suggested, your hike will present different opportunities and experiences along the way, which you will have to make decisions about. To go to Trail Days is just one. If you are hiking in a pack with good friends, it will be difficult not to go should they decide to do so.

In 2000, I sectioned into Damascus from Erwin on my spring vacation, arriving on the Wednesday afternoon. I made a number of good friends on that hike, and we are going to be having a 10 year reunion this year. Had I been thru-hiking and then hiked out of town on Friday, I would not have the memories I do that come from that shared experience.

Hope your memories will be as good, no matter what you decide. CG

Johnny Thunder
01-31-2010, 20:41
Mitch, you should go back for Trail Days unless you're further North than Pearisburg. I must be losing my mind or something but I swear I've seen a lot of these trail-dooms-day nay sayers smile at Trail Days over the past 2 years.

I've been twice...once during my hike and once the year after...and loved it both times. The feared "trail days mass exodus" wasn't killer. It's just Georgia again for a few days. Then everyone spreads out again. No problem.

Many of the folks here who say they are "over" Trail Days are simply over the other people at Trail Days.

I mean, from one young guy to another, you're more likely to enjoy yourself than not. Assuming that you like fun.

CrumbSnatcher
01-31-2010, 20:46
the one reason i always hitched back to traildays every year was so i could join in on HARDCORE and do some giving back to the trail. and they always lined up rides for all the hikers/volunteers to get back to the section of trail needed!

Appalachian Tater
01-31-2010, 20:47
By the time you get to the point in your hike where you need to decide that, you won't have any trouble making up your mind on your own!

Johnny Thunder
01-31-2010, 20:53
I mean, from one young guy to another, you're more likely to enjoy yourself than not. Assuming that you like fun.

Mitch...here's an incomplete list of things I've done/seen at Trail Days.

Saw live music (probably 6 bands over the years)
Was live music (played "White Wedding" to the chili line will a hundred people sang along. picked with some guys at mellow camp)
Lost my voice singing "white wedding" a capella with some underage kids in their camp tent when the rains came (it's become a tradition)
Organized and played dodgeball, twice. 08 vs 09...we got spanked
Hung out with friends from the year I hiked
Hung out with old friends
Made new friends
Walked in a parade
Watched and took part in the Billville useless gear contest
Kickball
Saw one of Lion King's movies
Drank beer
Ate food
Hooked up
Laughed

(yeah, that's right I quoted myself)

RGB
01-31-2010, 20:57
Can only handle being around 5 obnoxious drunks at once (myself included).

Chaco Taco
01-31-2010, 21:17
Mitch, you should go back for Trail Days unless you're further North than Pearisburg. I must be losing my mind or something but I swear I've seen a lot of these trail-dooms-day nay sayers smile at Trail Days over the past 2 years.

I've been twice...once during my hike and once the year after...and loved it both times. The feared "trail days mass exodus" wasn't killer. It's just Georgia again for a few days. Then everyone spreads out again. No problem.

Many of the folks here who say they are "over" Trail Days are simply over the other people at Trail Days.

Yea we are over Traildays. Honestly, ID rather hike. Not being a Traildays disser, Im just over it. Its fun a couple of times. Im glad you have fun each year. Thats cool. Dude we saw and met more people the first 2 weeks after Traildays than the whole rest of the trip.

Canada Goose
01-31-2010, 21:40
Lost my voice singing "white wedding" a capella with some underage kids in their camp tent when the rains came

So you were the guy! :p

Canada Goose
01-31-2010, 21:46
the one reason i always hitched back to traildays every year was so i could join in on HARDCORE and do some giving back to the trail. and they always lined up rides for all the hikers/volunteers to get back to the section of trail needed!

I've done trailwork following Aldha Gatherings, and the initial Long Trail Festival, and can attest it is personally very rewarding. If you have a chance to volunteer, take it!

Canada Goose
01-31-2010, 21:50
Yea we are over Traildays. Honestly, ID rather hike. Not being a Traildays disser, Im just over it. Its fun a couple of times. Im glad you have fun each year. Thats cool. Dude we saw and met more people the first 2 weeks after Traildays than the whole rest of the trip.

Agreed, the wide-eyed experience is only good the first, or second time. Don't know why I keep going back :)

A-Train
01-31-2010, 23:34
Agree with the No group.

blah blah blah, when I hiked, I was way north of Damascus and didn't go. Didn't even consider going.

Went back the following year as a civilian and had a blast. Celebrated with lots of trail friends.

Tennessee Viking
01-31-2010, 23:50
Its a nice social event. But it can be crowded. You can mix with the locals and past thru-hikers. See what the vendors have. Cheap or free food. Contests. Then the social gatherings/learning sesstions. Kincora Hardcore is one of the most popular.

If you are well passed Damascus, then don't fret about attending. You can always return after your thru-hike that way you don't have to worry about getting a ride. And you won't be camping with a bunch of partying loudmouths at the campground. With Hardcore, participants can usually get a ride back to there original trail head.

Doctari
02-01-2010, 09:43
I went to traildays a few years ago & found it a nice time no matter what you are interested in party wise. After going, I decided the following:
IF I can get there without undue effort, I will aim for early PM Friday, sample the food & visit the vendors & set up in the campground. Sat AM; pack up, get breakfast at the firehouse, check out the vendors again, maybe breakfast at the firehouse again & then back to hiking.
I would pretty much act as if resupplying in town anyway with the bonus of vendors on both sides of the AT & breakfast at the firehouse. If I get to town too early; as to going back, I think if it was easy & I could get out when I wanted, sure, why not.
I have read journals though, of people who put all their energy & focus getting to TDs, then the journal went "Dead" after they got to Damascus either by pushing or hitching forward or back.

My theorys as to why they quit: All their hiking energy went to getting there & they stopped focusing on the hike. Or, Culture shock. Either from sensory overload after months on the trail & rarely being around more then about 15 people at a time to being around thousands, or by suddenly realizing how much they missed that many people & easy access to "stuff". I know that for me, the longer the time off the trail, even on a section hike, the harder it is to get back in to hiker mode. I would think TDs magnifies that feeling.
IF you need gear fixed (Free at many vendors) or replaced (cheep at many vendors) and as I said, it isn't much effort to get there, you can have a good time in addition to getting much needed gear. There is also a few samples of free food, & a local church & the firehouse have cheep breakfasts that are sizable & tasty.

Big Suave
02-01-2010, 11:17
I love how the gross majority of the people that say not to do it are people soon to receive their AARP memberships in the mail. Trail Days is a great party. Most 22 year olds like to party, if that's the case you should go man. It's a blast.

Pacific Tortuga
02-01-2010, 11:33
I love how the gross majority of the people that say not to do it are people soon to receive their AARP memberships in the mail. Trail Days is a great party. Most 22 year olds like to party, if that's the case you should go man. It's a blast.

What a keen grasp of the obvious, your parents must be proud.

You figure that out, all by yourself ? :)

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 12:24

I've never been, but I'm just going to figure out what goes with my mood when traildays rolls around (I too, should be pretty far away from Damascus). Somehow, I don't think I'm going to want to go down for it during my hike.....

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 12:30
Though I must say, the only way I'd go to TD at all (during my thru) is by backtracking. I would NOT want to hike out with the mass. Shiver... Would want to be a good 200 miles from Damascus at the end of TD...

NashvilleBiscuit
02-01-2010, 12:47
I did not plan on it but things just worked out where I ended up doing the Damascus Challenge and walking into Damascus on the Thursday when Trail Days started last year. I really enjoyed it and hiking out was not bad. I never saw the so called "mass exodus" that was supposed to occur. The trail was no more packed leaving Damascus than they had been any other day leading up to there.

I had a lot of fun and met many more cool people at Trail Days. When I go back to try again in 2011 I plan to go to trail days. I would back track and will back track to enjoy Trail Days.

traildust
02-01-2010, 13:13
no. come back the next year for the event only. As Patton said to Alexander, "never retake the same real estate."

Hyway
02-01-2010, 14:54
I've been going to traildays since 2003 or 2004 (can't remember for sure). I have been going as a 'civilian' (non thruhiker), but our group almost always contains some previous or current thruhikers. There is no way I will miss the Traildays of my actual thruhike year. I will be around 400 miles north of Damascus by then, but I will find a ride back. Only this time I won't be bringing in bushels of oysters, 20 pounds of shrimp, crablegs and other seafood (too heavy for a thruhiker) too eat around teh bonfire our group makes every year (gotta love the cops selling $10 loads of wood. I think we spent at least $100 on that wood :)) I am sure my pals with the Trail Talk group will be up to the challenge of way too much food and a super hot fire. Not to mention the adhoc jam sessions we usually get going (when I say we, I really mean them. They don't carry buckets big enough for me to carry a tune).

So yeah, I am biased because I already have a ready made group to hang with, but I say BACKTRACK to traildays.

JustaTouron
02-01-2010, 14:59
no. come back the next year for the event only. As Patton said to Alexander, "never retake the same real estate."

You are comparing battlefield tactics to going to a party?

If you are horrified by the idea of being 100 miles past Damascus and shuttling back and re-hiking that same 100 miles a second time, I must ask why are you hiking the AT in the first place?

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 15:01
I don't think anyone is talking about rehiking the trail (are they?), just getting a ride down and back up.

JustaTouron
02-01-2010, 15:07
I don't think anyone is talking about rehiking the trail (are they?), just getting a ride down and back up.

I bet a few people do. And if you have the time and money, why not?

Yahtzee
02-01-2010, 15:11
Make a decision when the time comes. If you are hiking with a cool group and enjoy their company and they are hiking on, hike on. If you are ready to ditch the group you are with, hitch back. If a ride appears and the spirit of the group you are with says go back. Go back. No point in deciding right now.

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 16:21

If I had time to do that (now, this is just me- I'm sure others would like to backtrack by hiking), I'd just continue on up to Canada- that'd be awesome.

David@whiteblaze
02-01-2010, 18:36
... My aspiration is to hike the ECT to canada...

Though I must say, the only way I'd go to TD at all (during my thru) is by backtracking. I would NOT want to hike out with the mass. Shiver... Would want to be a good 200 miles from Damascus at the end of TD...
Hehe... I sure am gonna try... as well as starting in Florida... :D:D:D

David@whiteblaze
02-01-2010, 18:37
Oops, that second qoute should be this one:
If I had time to do that (now, this is just me- I'm sure others would like to backtrack by hiking), I'd just continue on up to Canada- that'd be awesome.

Jack Tarlin
02-01-2010, 18:52
Boy, this is getting silly.

I know lots of folks who've "backtracked' (i.e., they've hiked past Damascus and then hitched or got a ride back for Trail Days weekend, and then returened to wherever they were on the Trail).

I've never, EVER heard of anyone re-hiking miles that they backtracked.

What a great many people do, depending on where they are, is go back to Damascus from a convenient road crossing (most often, near Atkins, Bland, or Pearisburg) and then hitch outta town on Sunday or Monday AFTER the weekend is over, meaning they miss the mass Exodus that some folks have warned about.

And most of these folks have a wonderful time and are happy they took the weekend off. It's a great chance to re-connect with just about everyone you've met on your trip, especially those you've gotten ahead of or those who have gotten ahead of you. It's a fun, happy weekend; there are all sorts of manufacturers reps present so it's also a great opportunity to take care of gear issues (i.e. warranty/repair).

In short, it's a really fun weekend and I'm surprised to see it so negatively described here, tho being Whiteblaze, with a lot of regular posters who simply don't hike that much anymore, and a few comments from people who've never hiked, well maybe I'm not so surprised.

Trail Days is what you make of it. If you're looking for a three day party, you'll find one. If you're looking for a quiet campsite and a chance to catch up with friends, you'll find it. If you're looking for something in between, you'll find it.

For most folks, it's a great time, and you'll be happy you decided to attend.

Newb
02-04-2010, 09:31
If you're a hot chick, backtrack. If you're a dude...don't. :)

Mags
02-04-2010, 13:27
I found hiker gathering to be more fun when I am not on the trail hiking.

I can enjoy the event, chill, meet up with old friends and just enjoy the weekend. I don't have to worry about getting on the trail, hitching, etc.

When I hike, I tend to like less people. So it comes down to personal preference like most things in life. :)

m_factor
02-04-2010, 15:11
I backtracked during my thruhike in 1999 to go to Trail Days. In 2007, I slowed down my section hike to get there in time for the festival. I'm glad I did both times.

In other years, as I was driving down, I would stop at trail towns or road crossings to pick up hikers anywhere from points in PA south to Damascus. Once there, it's a cinch to get a ride back to just about anywhere on the trail you need to go.

During your hike, it's a great place to reconnect with those hikers who got ahead of you or who you passed without realizing you might not see them again. Going back the next year, you'll get a much smaller percentage of people from your year who go back for the reunion.

I'm no party animal, but I do really like having the opportunity to catch up with friends both from the trail as well as my trail family from the online trail community.

Hikers who skip Trail Days during their thruhike will never know exactly what they missed in the context of their hike. That said, I've never met anyone who did backtrack or take the time to attend Trail Days regret it.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

stranger
02-04-2010, 21:52
The best thing about Trail Days for me (while hiking) is reconnecting with hikers you haven't seen in a while and finding out where they are at. However, missing Trail Days is no big deal if you go to the Gathering, but if you can't go to the Gathering which is usually held in October, then Trail Days might be worth attending.

I don't think much of Trail Days, I've gone only twice but it was enough.

Jim Adams
02-05-2010, 10:29
Definitely go! It is part of all of the other things on a thru hike just like passing up a blue blaze to a pretty spot and then wondering if you should have gone. Go, take in everything that you can on your thru. If you never want to go back again, then at least you know. I've only missed 2 Trail Days since 1990. It is a good time getting to see friends that you may only see once a year...at Trail Days.
The exodus from TD's isn't as bad as it sounds and rides to and from are EVERYWHERE! I am coming from Pittsburgh...email me if you need a ride.

geek

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2010, 18:55
Getting "back" to Trail Days if you're past Damascus is easy.

So is "jumping ahead" if you haven't arrived there yet.

And getting back to wherever you need to be after the weekend is over is a snap.

So transportation is not an issue.

As to whether or not one should go, that's a personal decision. If you're social, want to spend time with Trail friends, don't mind being in a small town with a lot of folks, then by all means go.

Over the years, the only folks I've ever encountered who had a lousy time at Trail Days or who weren't interested in attending were invariably folks who weren't exactly a barrel of laughs out on the Trail either.

In other words, their absence in Damascus during Trail Days weekend was neither noted or bemoaned. :D

modiyooch
02-05-2010, 19:50
There are also two types of hikers. One type hits ever town and takes in the town's atmosphere and surrounding area; another type just concentrates on the hiking task at hand. If you fall into the first category, then you should stop and partake. If you are in the other category, concentrate on getting to Maine and come back at a later date.
If you are trying to reunite with trail friends, then waiting until you have the whole trail experience, may be more rewarding.

Chaco Taco
02-06-2010, 18:37

Buzzard Rock, Mt Rogers, and Grayson were the highlight of the march out of TD's for us

Doctari
02-06-2010, 22:07
I agree with Jack T. Traildays is what you make of it. I seriously do NOT like big loud parties. Yet I had a good time my visit a few years ago. We arrived Thursday PM & left Sunday AM. Had a Great time all weekend.

Yet I stand by what I "Plan" to do.

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-07-2010, 03:31
I backtracked from Lehigh Gap to Trail Days. Long trip, but glad I did it. Being a foreigner it wasn't an option for me to do it another year......
I'm not reall yhte party type but it was an interesting experience to be part of such a large group of hikers (of various types !!!!!)

As others have said.....don't plan it, just do what seems right at the time. The trail is rarely what you expect before you get out on it.
Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

The General
02-07-2010, 04:24
When I Thru'd in 2004, I was only about 40 miles North so the jump back was just a short journey. I had a great time with my class of that year. When I arrived in Damascus on my my second Thru in 2008, it was almost five weeks until Trail Day's. I chilled in Damascus a few days then Jumped up the trail to Front Royal and hiked back to Damascus for Trail Days. After Trail Days Weekend I joined Hard Core did some trail maintenance and once it was over jumped back up the trail to Front Royal and continued North.
Hard Core was fun and I saw many old friends at Trail Days, If you volunteer for Hard Core Bob Peoples will always get you back to where you came off the trail.
so in short do it if only out of curiosity.