PDA

View Full Version : NJ/NY Towns

Don's Brother
09-19-2004, 20:31
I'm planning to hike from the Delaware Water Gap to the NY/CT line late next May. I would appreciate any information on towns along the way that have motels, hostels, or inns. I hope to cover the app. 160 miles in 10 or 11 days and would like to spend three or four nights in towns. Thanks for any info. anyone can offer.

A-Train
09-19-2004, 20:58
Hey GA Hatman,

28 miles north of the Water Gap, you'll get to Culvers Gap which is right on the Trail at NJ 206. There is a famous bakery (Worthington's) as well as a couple bars/restraunts and a motel or two in the vicinity. IMO this is a better spot to grab a snack and move on rather than staying the night.

64 miles north of DWG is Vernon NJ, the first true Jersey Trail town. Its a short hitch or a long walk down NJ94. Its a fairly large town with a hiker hostel, supermarket and restraunts. A good stop.

109 miles north of DWG is the Bear Mtn Inn. Expensive lodging, but somewhat resonable food at restraunt and snack bar. The town of Ft. Motgomery is a short mile or so from here, which has a couple motels and a restraunt or two. Not much of a traditional town.

About 7 miles north of Bear Mtn by trail is the Graymoor Friary. You wanna stay here if you can. Gracious hosts allow hikers to tent in the ballfield or sleep in the stone shelter. They offer dinner in July and August, on a donation basis. A nice play for sure.

152 miles north of DWG, close to the CT border is the town of Pawling. I've drive thru but never gone in as a hiker. I know there is a park there that allows hikers to sleep. The town is somewhat big as there is a train station there and I believe they have meals, motels and groceries. This is 3 miles by hitch or walk.

There are a couple small stops/delis that I left out. They are easy enough to find, by word of mouth or signs at shelters/registers. I recommend picking up a data book and Companion from the ATC. They have all this info and more and are incredibly helpful. Enjoy the hike, its a very underated and unappreciated section, atleast by thru-hikers.

MOWGLI
09-19-2004, 21:13
I'm planning to hike from the Delaware Water Gap to the NY/CT line late next May. I would appreciate any information on towns along the way that have motels, hostels, or inns. I hope to cover the app. 160 miles in 10 or 11 days and would like to spend three or four nights in towns. Thanks for any info. anyone can offer.

Two towns not to overlook are Warwick, NY and Greenwood Lake, NY. They are just north of Vernon, NJ. There are also several motels and B&Bs in and around Vernon & Warwick.

orangebug
09-19-2004, 22:30
I believe Worthington's has closed.

There is Unionville, NY, just to the west of the AT that has a good general store, a bar with killer hamburgers and beer (Backdoor Inn), and a Post Office. I was able in May, 2002 to enjoy the locals, 2 Molsens, cheesburger and fries for $10 - and still make it to Pochunk Shelter before a storm hit.

You might also look up "Papa Bear" who wrote up a very good trip report there in April 2002.

Bill....

Peaks
09-20-2004, 08:26
If you want information on towns and hiker services, then I recommend buying either the ALDHA Companion published by the ATC, or Wingfoot's Thru-hiker Handbook. Both books should have information current and more complete information than anyone will probably post here on line.

chris
09-20-2004, 10:16
Worthington's was closed this summer, though there is a bar just down the road. Unionville (in NY but accessed from NJ) can be used for resupply and is pretty close to the trail. Not really any place to stay, although some thruhikers this year were allowed to camp in the park (which it seems is preferable to the "hostel"). DWG has the best pancakes on the trail at Trails End Cafe (right name?).

Kerosene
09-20-2004, 10:20
Along the NY/NJ border, shoot to stay at the Secret Shelter just outside of Unionville, and then it's an easy walk to Vernon and the church hostel.

The Bear Mountain Bridge Inn (not the Bear Mountain Inn) is an easy 3-mile hitch north on NY-9E(?) just before the bridge. It's quaint and cheap, with a steak house and bagel shop across the street. There's also a new Holiday Inn Express 100 yards further north.

There's not a whole lot in Pawling or Webatuck, but there is a deli about half a mile south on the road just after the railroad crossing/stop.