PDA

View Full Version : Questions from the class of 2020.....

JustaTouron
01-31-2010, 16:15
Since accidently stumbling on this forum about a week ago, I have a renewed interest in doing my childhood dream of thru hiking the AT. I have been discussing it with my wife and currently have it penciled in for 2020 (although if could be as early or as 2018 or might have to wait until 2022, depending on when I can afford retire.)

However, my wife doesn’t hike and neither of us like the idea of being separated for 5 months. But my wife doesn’t mind living in an RV, in fact her thought for when I retire is we take six months to a year poking around the country living in the RV and checking out quaint little towns. Six months of window shopping at quaint little towns’ gift shops is about 5.5 months more than I could handle without going nuts.

So we are thinking of having me “slack pack” the entire trip. She drops me off in the morning, I hike, she window shops, photographs quaint little covered bridges, etc. Then we meet in the evening and either dry camp on the side of the road with the generator or find a campground with hookups. We would need hookups about every 2 or 3 days.

I would not have to worry about mail drops, shuttles or other supply issues.

My first question is:

Are there roads frequently enough for me day hike from one road to the next or am I going to need to actually backpack some?

An occasional night away wouldn’t be a problem but if she is gonna be on her own for 2 or 3 nights on a fairly consistent basis she is not gonna be so willing to do this. Plus the idea of doing this without lugging a heavy backpack sounds real appealing to me. I am not getting any younger.

Second (group of) questions:

Anybody done this? How did it go? Where you accepted into the community of thruhikers or considered an outsider because you didn’t sleep on the trail? What did your spouse think of the experience?

She brought up the idea that occasionally we are going to want to treat my hiker friends that I make on the trail to a meal (probably by setting up a BBQ grill at a trail road intersection and cooking up some hotdogs and hamburgers) or a shuttle ride. The key word here being “occasionally”. She doesn’t want to become a full time support person for a dozen hikers. So…

Third question:

Any ideas or suggestions on how to set limits so folks aren’t asking for a shuttle ride at every town or yoging my wife for food every time they see the RV on the side of the road, without being a jerk and always saying “no” would be greatly appreciated.

I got plenty of time to plan this. Years in fact. But I am already getting excited about the idea. It’s like I am 15 years old again.

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2010, 17:03
Are there roads frequently enough for me day hike from one road to the next or am I going to need to actually backpack some?

As of today it's a safe assumption that you will have to camp some, how much depends on your hiking ability and a detailed look at the entire AT route. Whatever the answer turns out to be for today, it's sure to change by 2020.

Anybody done this? How did it go? Where you accepted into the community of thruhikers or considered an outsider because you didn’t sleep on the trail? What did your spouse think of the experience?

Never done it, but been out there enough to know some will not consider you a true thruhiker, despite the official ATC position on this subject. Not saying you'll be alienated, but that will the the opinion of some.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to set limits so folks aren’t asking for a shuttle ride at every town or yoging my wife for food every time they see the RV on the side of the road, without being a jerk and always saying “no” would be greatly appreciated.

With some you'll just have to say "No" and it'll probably alienate you to some extent.

Penne
01-31-2010, 17:11
When I was in one of the outfitters in Damascus, VA I saw the book Exploring the Appalachian Trail by RV, Sort of. Here's the Amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Appalachian-Trail-Sort/dp/1441425799 I didn't read the book, so I don't know how helpful it might be, but it might be a good jumping off point.

10-K
01-31-2010, 17:23
I don't know about the whole trail but I met a guy at a hostel who had hiked from Damascus to Harper's Ferry with his car. He'd park his car, hike for a while until he could get a shuttle back to his car and drive his car back to where he was then do it again. He said he kept a lot of resupply stuff in his trunk.

JustaTouron
02-01-2010, 17:36
Thanks for the info. I am gonna order that book.

Roland
02-01-2010, 17:56
Warren Doyle has led a number of group hikes, completed largely as a series of day hikes. These were accomplished with the use of a support vehicle, similar to what you have proposed.

He will lead another of these "expeditions" again this year. You can view his daily schedule (http://www.lmc.edu/faculty/DoyleW/DailySch.html), to get a detailed look at the road crossings he's using each day.

JustaTouron
02-01-2010, 18:39
Warren Doyle has led a number of group hikes, completed largely as a series of day hikes. These were accomplished with the use of a support vehicle, similar to what you have proposed.

He will lead another of these "expeditions" again this year. You can view his daily schedule (http://www.lmc.edu/faculty/DoyleW/DailySch.html), to get a detailed look at the road crossings he's using each day.

This is perfect.

That list is exactly what I am looking for. 8-12 days of backpacking is manageable. Particularly being it is never more than 2 nights in a row. He only has only two zeros. I will probably start earlier and have a dozen or more. Definitely will need one between the two back to back overnights both so I can rest up and so my better half doesn't feel abandoned. And to do some sightseeing -- Gettysburg, DC etc.