PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good hammock?

steve hiker
09-19-2004, 21:06
I'm about to get my first hammock, and have been offered a used HH Safari (since discontinued) with the bugscreen removed for $40. The weight is supposed to be 1 lb. 6 oz. w/o a tarp, since the previous owner replaced the heavier cords with lightweight spectra cords. The seller is very reputable and I believe what he's saying about the condition and weight.

On the one paw, you can't beat $40 and I don't care about the bugscreen since I hike in the fall. On the other paw, I'm 5'7" and 145 lbs. and am wondering if this hammock will be too big for me. A Safari is for larger dawgs, so will it "lay" right when a pup my size is in it?

Also, I have a 10' x 10' tarp and am wondering it this will be large enough to protect the Safari in a blowing rainstorm. Is this a good deal and will it work?

White Oak
09-20-2004, 02:03
I don't know about your other questions, but $40 for a Hennessey Hammock is a very good deal. If you don't like it, send it to me and I'll pay $40.

U-BOLT
09-20-2004, 19:36
The Safari is only 12" longer and 4" wider than the ultralight. The weight difference is probably more in the weight of the fabric. It should work fine. Beware the smaller diameter hang rope, however. The smaller lines stretch more and might break (tha's what happened to me, but I carried a spare piece of webbing and hung close to the ground, so problems were avoided) Test it well, but go for it! A 10x10 tarp is plenty big. I have a 8x10 and i will go smaller if I get around to making another tarp. Make or purchase a snake for the tarp and hammock. Hanging the tarp separately has advantages for rain protection. Good luck.

orangebug
09-20-2004, 21:32
Okay, I'm ignorant.

What is a snake for a tarp and hammock? Got any pictures?

Bill...

SGT Rock
09-20-2004, 21:49
I have a lot of pictures and tips for Hennessy Hammocks:

http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock3.html#tip9

This one talks about snake skins.