PDA

View Full Version : New Section Hiker! Looking For Imput From the Pros.

MBaker
02-01-2010, 00:07
I've been researching an AT hike of sorts for several years. My recent employment status has made a dream hike a reality.

I have four weeks or so to be on the trail for a section hike on the AT. I'm planning on an early start, March 2nd/3rd and finishing around April 1st. Getting to the trail should be relatively easy given the numerous options available from Atlanta. My main concern is where to get off the trail and how. I assume that I will end up somewhere between Gatlinburg, and Damascus. I'm leaving the door wide open to limit restrictions on my hike.

What advice would the experienced hikers offer for both transportation and in general for a newbie section hiker?

MBaker
02-01-2010, 00:09
Forgot to add that I would like to end up in Washington DC around April 1st.

waywardfool
02-01-2010, 10:05
No pros here at WB, just a bunch of opinionated asshats. :D

if you start at Springer, you'll bee in the midst of the flood of thru-hikers starting out Fun for some, crowded for others. Might be good for you for learning and sharing. I'd jump ahead, maybe put in at Fontana, or Hot Springs, maybe further north and have more solitude.

sparky2000
02-01-2010, 10:35
Hot Springs and Erwin have been shuttling to air or bus. If u don.t mind road walking, then any road off the trail will take u to a town, ect. After that it's most likely that hiking with a backpack will give u suprising quick help from pick-up trucks blue collar boys to a bus, train, car rental, u-haul rental(the easiest to find for one-way). When hiking the world really belongs to u!

fiddlehead
02-01-2010, 10:57
I wouldn't try to make too many plans.
You have a month.
Go for it and more than likely, you will meet someone that is getting a ride to somewhere that you can tag along till you get to a bus stop.
Trying to plan it out now will limit your trip to a schedule that you might not want to stick with.
Go out and have fun and find a bus station when you're finished.
You may just have the time of your life this way.

bigmac_in
02-01-2010, 11:05
You have a month.
Go for it and more than likely, you will meet someone that is getting a ride to somewhere that you can tag along till you get to a bus stop.
Trying to plan it out now will limit your trip to a schedule that you might not want to stick with.
You may just have the time of your life this way.

That is good advice right there.

NashvilleBiscuit
02-01-2010, 11:13
Fiddlehead is right. Dont make any plans. Go to Springer and see where you get. There are bus stations all around the trail and if you end up in a place where there isnt one you probably wont have a hard time finding an angel that can give you a ride to one.

Hooch
02-01-2010, 11:15
You have a month.
You may just have the time of your life this way.Best advice ever!

Nean
02-01-2010, 11:20
No pros here at WB, just a bunch of opinionated asshats. :D

if you start at Springer, you'll bee in the midst of the flood of thru-hikers starting out Fun for some, crowded for others. Might be good for you for learning and sharing. I'd jump ahead, maybe put in at Fontana, or Hot Springs, maybe further north and have more solitude.

Got my hat on and came up w/ this opinion.;):D

There won't be a flood at that point, but you will have company.:)

I wouldn't start the Smokys in a month from now.:eek:

Hot Springs is an option I'd consider if you want to be ahead of the others, but I wouldn't.:welcome

Lone Wolf
02-01-2010, 11:24
go to springer, shoot for erwin and get a bus out of johnson city, tn.

Lilred
02-01-2010, 12:11

Like many, many others have already done.

Frosty
02-01-2010, 12:12
No pros here at WB, just a bunch of opinionated asshats. :DBut most of us are lovable asshats (as opposed to being petty and vindictive asshats).

MBaker
02-01-2010, 13:20

This is one of the best options I looked at. In addition I will most likely try and find an exit road/town, before, and after, Erwin. Having the most options will prevent limitations from leading my hike.

I am definitely leaving from Springer on the 2nd/3rd of March. Being with the new class of thru hikers will help get my hike started.

Two more things I'm interested about, both are no doubt well documented here. What are some cold weather suggestions for that start date and geographical area? Also, how much planning will I need before I get to GSMNP, or can I get all reservations, permits and the like on arrival?

tf bear
02-01-2010, 13:32
Don't be surprized if you just continue on to ME! Have a great hike!

emerald
02-01-2010, 13:43
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm)

If you haven't already visited ATC's website, you'll discover an abundance of information useful in planning your hike.

You might want to also click on the link below and the white blazes for additional detailed information compiled by ALDHA.

Deerleg
02-02-2010, 19:57
I've sectioned the trail for 11 years and am by no means an expert. I find I plan less and enjoy more just by taking what the trail has to offer related to who I meet and what the conditions are. March on the high ridges in the south could be anything from a foot of blowing snow to 70 and sunny. Do a little homework as suggested and be flexible. If you need to come off and regroup for a couple days that OK too. I'm going to take a week to hike in central PA around the same time and can't wait!
Have fun!

Lilred
02-02-2010, 20:06
Don't worry about the Smokies, you self register before entering the park at Fontana Dam.

Have fun!!!

And March in the mountains in the south can be 70 degrees or it could be 10 and a blizzard. Be prepared for the worst.

Cookerhiker
02-02-2010, 20:39
This is one of the best options I looked at. In addition I will most likely try and find an exit road/town, before, and after, Erwin. Having the most options will prevent limitations from leading my hike.

I am definitely leaving from Springer on the 2nd/3rd of March. Being with the new class of thru hikers will help get my hike started.

Two more things I'm interested about, both are no doubt well documented here. What are some cold weather suggestions for that start date and geographical area? Also, how much planning will I need before I get to GSMNP, or can I get all reservations, permits and the like on arrival?

Don't worry about the Smokies, you self register before entering the park at Fontana Dam.

Have fun!!!

And March in the mountains in the south can be 70 degrees or it could be 10 and a blizzard. Be prepared for the worst.

Good advice. And in case you're not aware, you don't have to worry about reservations in the Smokies because the Park considers you a thruhiker since your hike encompasses 50 miles on both sides of the Park. You'll still need a permit which you can obtain as described by LilRed.

emerald
02-02-2010, 21:35
Specific information you may find helpful can be found on ATC's pages entitled Section Hiking (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4914919/k.8F02/Section_Hiking.htm) and Regulations and Permits (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805493/k.749B/Regulations_and_Permits.htm).

LIhikers
02-02-2010, 22:24
If you really need to get to DC plan on finishing your hike in Harper's Ferry, WV. From there you can take a train in DC. Now that you've got your finishing point, just plan backwards to find out where to start.

Chaco Taco
02-03-2010, 15:15
Springer-Damascus. Between Franklin and Damascus, lots of points to get off and get to an airport or bus station.

toegem
02-04-2010, 10:25
IMHO lots of solid advice here. My slant would be, since living in Atlanta with the trail so close I would probably start my hike a little further up the AT just to avoid seeing to many hikers (I enjoy solitude). Presuming I'm going to finish the trail in sections, by starting further up the AT, it will afford those long weekend get aways to do some of the trail through the Ga., NC./Tenn.