PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, which is the best digital camera?

alstonfered
02-01-2010, 05:10
Hey
I am looking to buy a decent digital camera. I want something that will take a sharp picture, unlimited video, the size really doesnt matter much to me but i guess i dont want something too big and I want all of this for as cheap as possible..best bang for the buck kinda deal. Any suggestions?

BrianLe
02-01-2010, 05:28
I suggest you go to one of the review sites, such as Steve's Digicams (http://www.steves-digicams.com/), and compare the various offerings yourself. You gave some criteria, but there are a lot of factors that you might value as more or less important. Things like battery type, whether it has an analog viewfinder, how fast it turns on and lag time between pictures, on-body controls, etc etc etc.

For hiking, some folks prefer a camera that takes AA batteries; when used around home a person can still recharge Nmh batteries, but on the trail one can buy new batteries in a trail town. Others don't care about this.

Etc etc.

I will say that "unlimited video" seems like a bit of a weird criteria. Memory card capacities are getting bigger, but nevertheless --- video can chew up storage space pretty quickly.

bigcranky
02-01-2010, 09:44
which is the best digital camera?

The best camera for image quality is the Phase One P65+ digital back (http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/p65-plus-field.shtml) for medium format cameras. It'll end up costing you maybe $100,000 when you are done buying everything you need. Plus you'll want a couple of Sherpas to carry the camera and other necessary gear.

For hiking, I usually recommend a small water resistant point and shoot digital camera. Coincidentally, dpreview.com has a comparison of all such cameras (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/) on the market right now. We own a couple of the Pentax models from three or four years ago, and they are decent cameras. If I had to buy a new one right now, the Panasonic DMC-TS1 would be my choice. It has a wide angle zoom lens, optical image stabilization, and is waterproof to one meter. It's on sale at Adorama right now for $250 (http://tinyurl.com/create.php?url=http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCTS1S.html). (Put it in your cart to see the price.)

I like the waterproof camera because I never have to worry about it. I can carry it in my shirt pocket when I am kayaking, and just grab it out for a photo whenever. On the trail it rides in a small waist pack, or in a little case attached to my shoulder harness. The biggest problem with our Pentax cameras is the lack of optical image stabilization, which makes a HUGE difference in practical shooting conditions. That Panasonic is on my short list for a new pocket camera.

rapchizzle
02-01-2010, 13:03
I am a very avid fisherman and enjoy a good hike too. I have a Tough 8000 from Olympus and it's a great little camera. It's a bit on the heavy side as far as P&S cameras go and the zoom is not the best, but I'm glad to trade that off for the waterproof, crushproof, dustproof aspects of it. I tend to be harsh on my electronics and really like that I don't have to worry about dropping it in the water (got a float on it!), getting soaked in my pack from rain, dropping it off the side of a hill, etc.

I think they run about $350 or so, but I got mine used from a friend for about $200. It was too good of a deal to pass up!

Pacific Tortuga
02-01-2010, 13:20
I'm not going to say get the one I did, it's not "the best".

It did cost about 250.00, weather/wet resistant, heavy rain or drop in a stream/puddle. Small and light weight with features I like, and most all have.
I bought an extra battery and card that fit in the case. It worked out well and the only down side, was I had to bring a charger for the lithium battery's.
The best part was, it is a gift that I was able to pick out.

littlewalnut
02-01-2010, 14:05
I am a very avid fisherman and enjoy a good hike too. I have a Tough 8000 from Olympus and it's a great little camera. It's a bit on the heavy side as far as P&S cameras go and the zoom is not the best, but I'm glad to trade that off for the waterproof, crushproof, dustproof aspects of it. I tend to be harsh on my electronics and really like that I don't have to worry about dropping it in the water (got a float on it!), getting soaked in my pack from rain, dropping it off the side of a hill, etc.

I think they run about $350 or so, but I got mine used from a friend for about $200. It was too good of a deal to pass up!

i have a tough 8000 and love it sofar, have been useing it in africa and about to test it on a thru hike

Phreak
02-01-2010, 14:17
I've been using the Canon SD1100 for the past two years.

malowitz
02-07-2010, 23:04
I've still been researching and holding out on purchasing for my hopeful trip deparing in March. I've really been looking at the Panasonic ZS3 which goes from wide angle to super zoom (12x). The wide angle and long zoom (300 mm equiv) are what I'm after - it is also farily light, about 8 ounces w/a battery. There is a ZS7 version to be released this year that will include geotagging abilities built in. Also a similar feature loaded Sony is to be released. I'm holding out hope for release dates in the very near feature.

Pansonic News:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=391519&modelNo=Content01252010040126605&surfModel=Content01252010040126605

Sony
http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4051

leaftye
02-07-2010, 23:14
The best in my opinion was the now discontinued Canon a720is. Unfortunately this great camera has been compromised by "advances".

Anyway, what made it great was that...

- It was very efficient with batteries. Using nimh rechargeables, I was able to go over 700 shots (screen on, some flash) while barely denting the battery life meter.
- It only cost $180.
- It took great quality pictures.
- The optical viewfinder allowed you to extend battery life by turning off the screen.
- A common firmware hack made it extremely powerful and capable.
- Decent zoom as pixels. 6x, 8 megapixels.

If you can somehow find a new one sitting on a store shelf somewhere for $150 or less, I think you'll have a hell of a steal. If you do find one and don't want it, please do me a favor and buy it for me.

Those closest thing to this is the Canon SX120is, but it doesn't have an optical viewfinder, the battery life is unknown, and it's bigger. At least it has more optical zoom. (10x)

GeneralLee10
02-07-2010, 23:46
I have the Pentax Optio W80 5oz w/ battery. It is a good camera for me, cheaper than the Olympus models. The battery does not last long doing video in HD but does good for pictures. I have a 16gb card so I think it will do me just fine. Going to get an extra battery to go with.

The best camera will and can only be your choice. Something I have learnt about any gear. Is that it mite be good for the next man, but not you. So make a wise choice for your liking not others, as many mite not like the Pentax W80 and I do.

Sassafras Lass
02-09-2010, 15:06
I too am scouting out a good choice to take on my GA-ME 2011 hike with my husband.

I just recently moved into the digital world with my Nikon P90, which has been very capable and fun to use so far, but I certainly won't be taking such a fussy, bulky camera on a hiking trip.

I've been looking at the Pentax Optio W60, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1G, and the Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP. I'm not terribly concerned about the waterproof factor, as I don't do snorkeling, but I'm pretty clumsy and would like something that will withstand being dropped repeatedly.

Any thoughts on those? I'm partial to Pentax in general, but am certainly open to any decent well-made camera. :)

Lyle
02-09-2010, 15:20
A lot of good choices out there for a P&S. My one piece of advice would be to get one with a separate viewfinder, one not dependent on composing the scene via the LCD. Two reasons:

1) It will save you a lot of battery life to keep the LCD off much of the time.
2) When composing your picture via the LCD, you have to hold the camera out in front of you. This is MUCH less stable than holding it up against your forehead while shooting. This will make a big difference in the sharpness of most folk's photos.

leaftye
02-09-2010, 17:27
Lyle, I agree with you, but optical viewfinders are becoming very rare in P&S cameras. Electronic viewfinders use just as much energy as the big LCD on the back, so they're only worth using to prevent glare or to get an extra point of leverage to increase stability.

As to the second part, it really helps to have a neck strap and to pull against that.

tintin
02-14-2010, 05:08
Panasonic Lumix are fantastic cameras at a good price for what they are. They are very close to SLR quality with many great functions. I'll be taking mine on my thru-hike attempt this year.

Ramble~On
02-14-2010, 09:45
Canon Powershot A590 IS. Cheap, small, light, auto/manual control, video. 2 lithium AA's last a long time.

malowitz
02-25-2010, 21:26
I still haven't purchased a camera - but in addition to those listed in post #8, here is another one with geotagging that is due out sometime this March. This one has the longest zoom I've seen on a compact digital.

Samsung HZ35W
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4216

Tipi Walter
02-25-2010, 22:22
Recently I did a fairly indepth search for a good replacement to my Sony Cybershot and came up with these:

Canon S90--recently released, supposed to be awesome. And small.
Panasonic Lumix--top of the line and a copy of the Leica something or other.
Canon G10--bigger but supposedly top of the line. I almost bought it but then decided to master the little Sony I already have before jumping into the technical world of digital photography.

Egads
02-26-2010, 06:48
[/URL]Nikon P-100

[URL]http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26212/COOLPIX-P100.html (http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26212/COOLPIX-P100.html)

Space Wrangler
03-02-2010, 00:54
Ive been thru a ton of cameras... I love my Canon SD 1100 IS... 8mp and i like the fact that it takes 30fps videos... gotten great reviews everywhere ive seen.

gravy4601
03-02-2010, 01:17
i just got the Casio EX-G1 it water and shock proof and at 12 megapixles takes a great pic

Inwoods
03-02-2010, 01:55
Panasonic lumix zs3. however, if u can wait a few more weeks a new version is comming out as mentioned. has manual override for those that know what to do with it. more like a dslr

JJJ
03-02-2010, 07:42
I shoot a lot outdoors and have used the Canon SD series for years -cheap, light, decent size LCD. I often "wear" it on my wrist. You'll take more pictures if it's conveniently at hand.

Red Beard
03-02-2010, 10:02
Canon Powershot A590 IS. Cheap, small, light, auto/manual control, video. 2 lithium AA's last a long time.

I agree. It takes decent video, really good pictures, and the updated version of this camera is a steal on Amazon for $130.

weary
03-02-2010, 23:38
Panasonic lumix zs3. however, if u can wait a few more weeks a new version is comming out as mentioned. has manual override for those that know what to do with it. more like a dslr
But the new version is likely to be massively more expensive. I just bought a zs3 for $240. I miss an eye level view finder, but otherwise it is an amazing camera for the price.

Feral Bill
03-02-2010, 23:50
As you see by now, there are plenty of good cameras to choose from, depending on your preferences and needs. If you want to get good pictures, focus (so to speak) on improving your skills. Take a class, get some books, follow photography groups, join a club, and practice, practice, practice. Also, learn to use Photoshop with some restraint. Finally, don't be afraid to throw away a lot of bad pictures.

FB

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 18:12
I carry a olympus Styluss 770sw. mine is about 3.5 years old and works perfecty. its only a 7.1 megapixel, but it is shock, water and dust proof. I belive they still make this basic camera but with like 11mp. weight 6oz charger 3 oz. it has many great features and settings, but is also really easy to use.

boarstone
03-16-2010, 19:18
check out the Kodak Easyshare Z915...

leaftye
03-16-2010, 22:21
My "best" is going to have to be my Oregon 550 for my thru-hike. I didn't want the weight of a separate camera. The nice thing is that I can take pictures in inclement weather, it's somewhat tough, and it geocodes my pictures so I'll never have to try to remember where I took a picture.

maxdakota
06-26-2010, 01:00
Nikon L100
The Nikon Coolpix L100 is a decent entry-level megazoom. Just don't look too closely at the photos and stock up on AA batteries. The image quality of these cameras is good enough to produce clear prints up to about 8 x 10.

Powder River
06-29-2010, 13:55
I will say that "unlimited video" seems like a bit of a weird criteria. Memory card capacities are getting bigger, but nevertheless --- video can chew up storage space pretty quickly.

I think what he means by unlimited is that the camera can take an unlimited length clip as long as there is space on the card. Older cameras were limited by the buffer size and would cut off after 15-30 seconds.

To the OP I would definitely not limit yourself to the water resistant cameras, or the cameras with AA batteries. These criteria, while nice for thru hikers, severely limit your choices to usually one camera per manufacturer, and tests have shown that none of these cameras represent the best image quality in the line up. Choose what is important to you: freedom to be clumsy with it and drop it into puddles, or the quality of the images themselves which you will keep for the rest of your life. If you use common sense, carry the camera in a case and keep a zip-loc handy water is a non-issue. Same with AA batteries. The lithiums last forever, but if you carry the charger and a couple of spares, you can always have battery power when you want it. If you free yourself from these two criteria you will find yourself free to pick from the best quality cameras that are out there, which in 20 years is what will really matter.

There are some decisions to be made on size, weight, zoom and cost. My personal picks would be:

Canon S90
Canon G11
Samsung TL500
Panasonic Lumix LX3

These are the best of the compact market with the largest sensor sizes (the larger the sensor, the better the image generally). Read the reviews on them and you will see. You could move up from there in cost and size to the Panasonic GF1, which has interchangeable lenses and WAY better image quality, but that runs you $900. Just be sure to read up quite a bit on any camera you think you might like to buy before buying, and if the reviews are good then you should be fine.

Bucherm
06-30-2010, 00:31
I am a bit of a fool who hauls my Nikon D3000 out there with me, which really weighs way too much. Of course, I've only been doing overnights and weekenders since I got back into Hiking, and I strongly suspect I'll be gettign a point-and-shoot when I do my first long distance hike.

weary
06-30-2010, 11:56
My current favorite is the Panasonic Lumix ZS3 (i.e. it's the one after reading all the reviews, I became convinced would best do everything I most needed).
It has a great Leica lens, reasonably fast, and wide angle (great for "live" photos for hikers around camps and shelters) and a 12X optical zoom. I haven't been disappointed. I missed an eye level view finder at first, but soon became adjusted.

I can take both closeups of flowers and portraits of tiny wild birds perched on branches 30 feet away -- all on one automatic setting. I'm just beginning to explore the scores of specialized menu possibilities.

One thing that convinced me to buy this particular camera is that Panasonic has about the best anti-shake system in the business -- something especially important as my hands grow a bit shaky.

A new version has come out, which means by shopping around you should be able to find the ZS3 for less than the $250 I paid. A few months ago the model sold for $350, sometimes more.

It's the first digital camera I've owned that consistently gets better pictures than I could get with my old Canon SLR, multiple lenses, using quality color film. Total Canon weight was probably 5 or 6 pounds. My Panazonic Lumix weighs 8 ounces on my postal scale.

Weary

couscous
06-30-2010, 12:20
"Restless Legs" is using an Olympus Tough-6020 Waterproof 14-megapixel digital camera with HD video recording. After 850+ miles the past 3 months, it's working well for him.

solstice
06-30-2010, 15:35
My current favorite is the Panasonic Lumix ZS3 (i.e. it's the one after reading all the reviews, I became convinced would best do everything I most needed).
It has a great Leica lens, reasonably fast, and wide angle (great for "live" photos for hikers around camps and shelters) and a 12X optical zoom. I haven't been disappointed. I missed an eye level view finder at first, but soon became adjusted.

I can take both closeups of flowers and portraits of tiny wild birds perched on branches 30 feet away -- all on one automatic setting. I'm just beginning to explore the scores of specialized menu possibilities.

One thing that convinced me to buy this particular camera is that Panasonic has about the best anti-shake system in the business -- something especially important as my hands grow a bit shaky.

A new version has come out, which means by shopping around you should be able to find the ZS3 for less than the $250 I paid. A few months ago the model sold for $350, sometimes more.

It's the first digital camera I've owned that consistently gets better pictures than I could get with my old Canon SLR, multiple lenses, using quality color film. Total Canon weight was probably 5 or 6 pounds. My Panazonic Lumix weighs 8 ounces on my postal scale.

Weary

Agreed. I own this camera as well, and it's hands-down the best compact digital camera I've ever used, and I would recommend it to everyone. Love the wide angle, the Leica, everything about it.

amac
07-08-2010, 07:19
Just found this link: very in-depth reviews of waterproof cameras:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/
These are the cameras reviewed:
* Canon PowerShot D10
* Fuji FinePix Z33WP
* Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 (mju Tough 8000 in Europe)
* Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 (mju Tough 6000 in Europe)
* Pentax Optio W60
* Pentax Optio W80
* Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (DMC-FT1 in Europe)

Danielsen
07-08-2010, 16:43
The weight of my Pentax K-x (which isn't much, all said) is well worth the resulting images, for me. :D Image quality is in line with big heavy professional cameras like the Nikon D300 or Canon 7D but the small, lightweight formfactor and ability to get thousands of shots out of a set of practically weightless lithium AAs are what led me to ditch the Canon 40D last year. The Pentax comes hiking (and occasionally running) with me all the time.

charlie2008
07-09-2010, 00:09
Droid, 2-3 extra batts, multi everything.

Sierra Echo
07-12-2010, 08:25
I carry a olympus Styluss 770sw. mine is about 3.5 years old and works perfecty. its only a 7.1 megapixel, but it is shock, water and dust proof. I belive they still make this basic camera but with like 11mp. weight 6oz charger 3 oz. it has many great features and settings, but is also really easy to use.

I have an Olympus Stylus 800. Its a 8 megapixel. Its not water proof but it is an "all weather" camera. It survived a tumble into the tallaluh gorge river with me. I love that camera!

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2010, 08:30
I think Panasonic is an underrated camera. I have a DMC-LZ2 and it's been through hell. All my pics in my gallery is with this camera; it has great zoom capability. I've been thinking about getting a new camera, but haven't because I'm now thinking of getting one I can manually focus with, but probably will never take that type on a hike.

Sassafras Lass
08-15-2010, 21:13
This might be the best deal out there:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_lz10-review/

Panasonic DMC-LZ10, currently $179 @ Amazon w/ free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-LZ10K-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B0011Z23V2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281921179&sr=8-1

~ Weighs less than 7 oz. including batteries
~ Runs on easily sourced AA batteries (vs. proprietary lithium batteries)
~ Takes SD cards (cheaper and more easily sourced than XD cards)
~ Leica lens
~ Very compact - 3.8"L x 2.4"H x 1.3"W
~ 10.1 million pixels
~ 30-150mm zoom range
~ Image stabilization
~ Full manual control capability
~ Great image quality (for a p&s) from what I've seen, usable ISO to 400, 800+ if necessary

I'm ordering this camera as soon as I've paid off the pack I just bought. :)

For me, SD compatibility and AA batteries were the deciding factor. Many cameras offer these things, of course, but are nearly all $250-399 and up. I already have a point n' shoot and the only reason I'm not taking it on the trail is due to the battery - I'd have no opportunity to recharge the batteries as we're not going to spend any time in towns except for resupply, so AA batteries were a must.

Hipneck
08-15-2010, 23:49
Panasonic Lumix are fantastic cameras at a good price for what they are. They are very close to SLR quality with many great functions. I'll be taking mine on my thru-hike attempt this year.
We have a ZS1 and a ZS3 and they are GREAT cameras.

tzbrown
08-16-2010, 09:52
This might be the best deal out there:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_lz10-review/

Panasonic DMC-LZ10, currently $179 @ Amazon w/ free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-LZ10K-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B0011Z23V2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281921179&sr=8-1

~ Weighs less than 7 oz. including batteries
~ Runs on easily sourced AA batteries (vs. proprietary lithium batteries)
~ Takes SD cards (cheaper and more easily sourced than XD cards)
~ Leica lens
~ Very compact - 3.8"L x 2.4"H x 1.3"W
~ 10.1 million pixels
~ 30-150mm zoom range
~ Image stabilization
~ Full manual control capability
~ Great image quality (for a p&s) from what I've seen, usable ISO to 400, 800+ if necessary

I'm ordering this camera as soon as I've paid off the pack I just bought. :)

For me, SD compatibility and AA batteries were the deciding factor. Many cameras offer these things, of course, but are nearly all $250-399 and up. I already have a point n' shoot and the only reason I'm not taking it on the trail is due to the battery - I'd have no opportunity to recharge the batteries as we're not going to spend any time in towns except for resupply, so AA batteries were a must.

After reading a few reviews on this camera I also will be ordering one soon.

I have been using a Nikon Coolpix 5200, it works well and images are OK, but not as good as I would like, and with the rechargable battery I have to carry a charger with it.

Harley&Me
08-23-2010, 15:06
My buddy used the 10.1MP Olympus Stylus 1030SW on the trail last year and loved it. I was quite jealous as mine was a piece of crap. Here's what Backpacker had to say:Get those dramatic bad-weather shots without worrying about ruining your digital. The 10.1MP Olympus Stylus 1030SW is waterproof (to 33 feet), shockproof (up to a six-foot drop) and freezeproof (down to 14°F). It snapped excellent snowstorm photos in Utah's Wasatch Range, bright-sun shots atop Mt. Whitney, and sweet underwater video in the saltwater of San Francisco Bay. The processor is fast, and the razor-sharp LCD is big–2.7 inches diagonal. It has a nonextending lens with a 28mm-102mm zoom equivalent that's great for scenics and close-in action, and it rapid-fires 5.2 frames per second. The lithium-ion battery recharges in about two hours and lasts for about 200 shots. Bonus: A tap control allows you to navigate basic functions when you're wearing thick gloves. $300; 6.3 oz.; olympusamerica.com (http://www.olympusamerica.com/)

leaftye
08-23-2010, 17:42
I still really want a shockproof waterproof camera with AA batteries and gps, but I really like the new Fujifilm F300EXR. It has a long 15x zoom, a big sensor for a point & shoot camera that should allow better low light pictures, plus it has an autofocus usually found on DSLR cameras that should allow it to autofocus faster than any other point & shoot camera. If this camera can turn on and shoot the 1st shot quickly, it'll be a winner. I'm still ticked about the wildlife pictures I missed this year because of a slow camera. That won't happen again next year.

Sassafras Lass
08-30-2010, 11:39
For those interested in the DMC-LZ10, it's been discontinued everywhere, but you can still source the silver version @ Amazon for $178 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011Z8C6M/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=photo ; mine's coming today and I can't wait to play with it when I get home. :)

Tipi Walter
08-30-2010, 11:46
I just pulled an 18 day trip with my new camera, a Lumix LX3, and took some great shots. It eats up batteries though, so when I got home I ordered four extra(total of six)so on my next long trip I'll probably be taking all six out with me(!). Crazy? Yup. But ya just gotta have the juice. Below is a low res fotog with the Lumix. I just wonder how it will do at -10F??

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/10065/tj10065%5F082610%5F095815%5F565374.jpg