PDA

View Full Version : AT and Children

trailfinder
09-19-2004, 21:48
:-? I love hiking and backpacking but I have never been on the AT. My son is 10 and I want to take him backpacking on part of the AT that is not so challenging. Perhaps a backpacking trip that covers 24 miles in say four days. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Catsgoing
09-19-2004, 22:21
His trail name is NEO here on whiteblaze.com He has two boys and has taken them on hikes on The AT... Rick has a lot of knowledge of THE AT and other trails if your interested..

Good Luck,

:o

SGT Rock
09-20-2004, 05:48
I started hikig on the AT when I was 12, and my brother was 10 or 11. We did about 1 miles a day and hiked up around Standing Indian in NC. I have been taking my children hiking with me since they were each 10 until my youngest, he wanted to go since he could walk, so he started at 4.

Keep the pack weight for a 10 year old to 1/4 of his body weight to start him out and be prepared to take a lot of breaks. Find ways for him to have fun doing it. My kids can act like they are ready to die at the end of an 8 mile day, but as soon as they see the creek and the packs are off they always find that second wind.

baseballswthrt
09-20-2004, 05:55
Shenandoah National Park is relatively easy if you want to get them out on terrain that is not too rough.

Anita

Jaybird
09-20-2004, 06:44
:-? I love hiking and backpacking but I have never been on the AT. My son is 10 and I want to take him backpacking on part of the AT that is not so challenging. Perhaps a backpacking trip that covers 24 miles in say four days. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Try the Smokies!

Head to your local outfitter store & grab the Smoky Mtn section of the A.T.....& pick out a good 25 mile section....or ck sections out on the A.T. website. www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/itinerary.html#sub1)

good luck with your hike! :D

Peaks
09-20-2004, 08:02
Why not get Victoria and Frank Logue's book "Best of the AT: Overnight hikes?" I suspect that it has several good suggestions for overnights suitable for children.

My recommendation would be to start by hiking in to a pond where they can swim and play in the water. Several popular ponds up north include Upper Goose Pond, Stratton Pond (via old AT/LT), Little Rock Pond, Lonesome Lake, and several ponds in Maine.

But, as others have pointed out, don't overlook swimming holes and streams off the AT in the Smokies and Shenandoah National Parks.

trailfinder
09-20-2004, 08:31
I started hikig on the AT when I was 12, and my brother was 10 or 11. We did about 1 miles a day and hiked up around Standing Indian in NC. I have been taking my children hiking with me since they were each 10 until my youngest, he wanted to go since he could walk, so he started at 4.

Keep the pack weight for a 10 year old to 1/4 of his body weight to start him out and be prepared to take a lot of breaks. Find ways for him to have fun doing it. My kids can act like they are ready to die at the end of an 8 mile day, but as soon as they see the creek and the packs are off they always find that second wind.
Thanks for the advice!

weary
09-20-2004, 09:54

Healthy, active 10-year-olds can do any section of the Appalachian trail. All three of my kids did all of the trail in Maine in 3 and 4 day, and a few overnight hikes starting around six and ending around age 13.

A 9-year-old grandson did all of Maine except Katahdin (it was raining heavily and the trail was closed) in one 30 day backpack. Two years later he did 600 miles of the AT with me, from Harpers Ferry north to Vermont.

No. We are not an especially athletic family. Nor is the AT a particularly challenging trail. But you are wise to go slow. Six mile days are ideal. Think about even fewer miles if it's especially interesting country with opportunities to stop for swimming or other activities.

I found hiking with kids works best if you minimize distracting town stops. Plus hitching with kids is not a good idea. Have the child carry all his basic needs -- at least his clothing and a sleeping bag. It's important that they sense being a part of the trip. Not just going with you. I learned this when a 3-year-old balked at walking down from Chimney Pond. His 6-year-old sister fell and scratched her side. I took her pack and put it on the three-year-old and both sets of tears dried up. All five of us -- me, my wife and three kids -- walked the 3.3 miles to our car without another whimper.

Weary

tlbj6142
09-20-2004, 10:19
but as soon as they see the creek and the packs are off they always find that second wind.Isn't that the truth. My girls can walk miles if they are distracted and having fun. They love creeks, ponds, etc. So, the biggest challenge for me is finding an area (not just on the AT) that has plenty of water around for them to play in during breaks and at camp. Taking other kids along helps as well.

If you are near WV, I strongly suggest the Dolly Sods and/or Cranberry Wilderness/backcountry areas of the Mon National Forest.

sloetoe
09-20-2004, 12:38

My time is short for a bit so forgive the brief answer, but
1) my 10 year old twins completed the (more rugged) Long Trail at age 7; we just got back from a 6 week trip that included miles of bushwhacking and wading before hitting the top 320 miles of the AT; they've now sectioned a third of the AT.

2) As a general principle, trails *off* the AT are harder than the AT -- the AT is more like an interstate highway.

3) "Challenge" may be the only way your child will take interest in walking. Gnarly trail (or the promise of it) is what gets my kids up in the morning. And swimming. And throwing rocks in water. And snakes. And the promise of a Mountain Dew (if they're good) or McDonald's french fries.

4) "Challenge" is relative to experience, not to age. My kids hiked 3 20+ mile days in the closing 10 days of our hike, and all days (I think) were over 15 miles at the end. But they've been around the block, too. FWIW, I think 3-8 mile days are how to get *any* newbie into the woods, regardless of age. As Indiana Jones said when told "The years have not been kind to you, Jones," he replied "It ain't the years, doll. It's the mileage."

5) Don't expect kids to be wowed by what wows you. Even with what my kids have done, they would still rank a puddle in a parking lot (with sufficient stones nearby to throw) as neato-kewl as a bald mountain-top. Kids (by which I mean all newbies) hike from place to place. "Older" hikers (by years and/or miles) hike the "ribbon" of the trail. In the first, you're hiking from one defined "place" to another, in the second, you're hiking to see the trail, and the "places" you reach are merely supportive of the walking.

6) Living in Durham, NC, you've got lots of stuff available to you that'll fit the bill. Bring swim suits and sun screen.

sloetoe

SGT Rock
09-20-2004, 12:49
We did about 1 miles a day ...

I meant 10 miles a day

Speer Carrier
09-20-2004, 18:42
My son-in law and I hiked a loop that started at Standing Indian camp ground, went up to the AT on one of 4 side trails, over Albert, and Standing Indian and then back down to the camp ground on Kimsey Creek Trail. The total trip was about 23 miles, and we did it in two days stopping at Standing Indian shelter for the night. The trip up to the trail from Standing Indian is steep but not real hard. About the time you think you've had enough up hill, you reach the AT. The climb up Albert is tough, but from the direction we went, not as bad as the other way. The view from the top of the two mountains is fantastic. The hike down Kimsey Creek is easy, with lots of water falls to see. We parked at the camp ground ($2.00 per day, I think, but there is free parking nearby)

Skink

trailfinder
09-21-2004, 09:14
Thanks for the advice!

Perkolady
09-21-2004, 17:54
Trailfinder-

I don't know the title, but there is a book out there about hiking trails in NC.It was very useful when I lived there and began bringing the little ones.

24 mi is a good distance - just be prepared to be extra patient. I've been bringing my daughters (11 & 12) backpacking with me about their whole lives and patience is the main piece of 'gear' you will need ! lol

Have a great trip!
Perkolady

bobgessner57
09-22-2004, 21:17
I think the book Perkolady is referring to is: North Carolina Hiking Trails by Allen de Hart, published by the Appalachian Mountain Club. It has a trail description of virtually every trail in the state, including good directions to the trailhead. My copy often stays in my work truck in case I get odd time to explore unfamiliar territory. It is a great resource. I have seen it at many outfitters and chain bookstores around the triangle.

Two hiking spots to consider:
There are a number of loop trips of various distances in the Uwharrie Mountains near Asheboro and down around Lake Tillery. The land is rugged hill country, old gold mines, lots of history, some good creeks for splashing in, and easy to get to from Durham. The Birkhead Mtns Wilderness area seems to get less use than the Dutchmans Creek section. Great spring hikes.

The AT and other trails up around the Mount Pleasant National Recreation area north of Lynchburg, VA. Some pretty country, virgin timber, wildlife, creeks are small, decent views, also easy to get to from your home. Loop trips possible, trail conditions are good, kids will find it challenging but not overwhelming.

The Uwharries and Mount Pleasant area are gamelands, be sure to wear orange in season.