PDA

View Full Version : Sleepin bag n tent

Saffirre8
02-01-2010, 12:12
Hello- i am also a newbe to backpacking.

I am looking for a sleeping bag (3-season) and a tent for some of my long weekend back packing trips. I am looking for some ultra light, warm and not cheap but not to exspensive. I am only using it for some week long hikes. I am 5'3" and not a super skinny girl...lol
i have been looking at the Cat Meow from North Face, but i dont know if there is a better one out there. i have did some research but just wanted to get some opinions.
Anyone have any suggestions on bags and tents.
Thanks for your help :o)

Mountain Wildman
02-01-2010, 12:23
You will get many suggestions from this site. I have been looking at Tarptent, Six Moon Designs and Lightheart Tents, All good quality and very light weight, All under 3 pounds. As far as a bag, Down filled will be the lightest, Big Agnes makes Large sleeping bags for people with a couple extra pounds like me.

Saffirre8
02-01-2010, 12:36
i heard syntheic is better then down cause if down gets wet you are screwed. Is that true?? Which do you think is better?

JustaTouron
02-01-2010, 12:43
i heard syntheic is better then down cause if down gets wet you are screwed. Is that true?? Which do you think is better?

That has my opinion, but I am in a very small minority.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58201

And while that thread has made me rethink that I should give down a try, I think there is a very strong case for newbies avoiding down. Until you have enough experience that you are very confident that you know how to avoid getting your sleeping bag and jacket from getting wet.

Ladytrekker
02-01-2010, 12:47
This is the exact question I have. I hike alot in Florida and am doing my first section of the AT in May. Springer to Neels Gap. I seem to obcess over what is in my pack and it seems I have just the essentials and it is too heavy. I know that on AT 35 lbs is going to seem like 400 when going up a mountain.

I am seriously going to upgrade my sleeping bag, and am seriously considering a tarptent. Now I need to determine which one. This seems like a simple decision but slepping this stuff on your back it is a huge decision.

My question in this forum is how do they hold up in rain? I don't mind hiking in rain but I do mind sleeping in water.

Thanks for help.

Snowleopard
02-01-2010, 13:18
You want to keep all gear dry. Use a trash bag, contractor trash bag, or trash compactor bag as a liner for your pack and put your sleeping bag and dry clothes in plastic bags. Don't take it out of the bags outside your tent. Synthetic is better than down if it gets wet, but if it gets wet you'll still have a miserable night -- don't get it wet. A good quality down bag is lighter and will last longer. With both, they can get a bit damp from your body. Whenever you get a chance put either kind of bag in the sun to dry out; don't let it blow away. For summer, you can consider a quilt instead of a bag; it'll be lighter. If you can sew, a synthetic quilt isn't too hard and will be cheap.

For shelter, site choice is important. Think about where the water will go when it rains. Don't set up in a place that becomes a puddle or stream in heavy rain. With a tarp, set up in a place that will be sheltered from the wind.

In addition to shelter from rain, in some times and places you may want bug shelter. Will most of your camping involve bugs? If so, then get either a full tent or tarptent that includes bug netting. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=19438)

grayfox
02-01-2010, 13:34
Hi Sunshine,
Just a couple of comments I hope will be relevent to your question.
First, any wet or damp bag will be uncomfortable-down or syn-not really much to choose. The question then is, How long before I can get this thing dry? For a weekender it is not too much trouble to get out and get warm and dry. The further away from a dryer the more important it is to do everything you can to stay dry in the first place--double or tripple bag it and even pack it up if your tent is awash at night.
Second, A 'better' option depends on how you use the gear and is so personal as to be almost impossible to give useful advice for another person. This will not be a stop to us though.
So, go to the REI and Campmor sites where you can click on a 'compare' option and look for the qualities you most value in the gear you are seeking.
A couple comments on the Cat's Meow. I have one I bought on sale with a broken zipper. You will pay more for the TNF label. The bag is nice. It is warm and just right for fall and spring. Too hot for summer for me. It packs BIG and weighs about 3lbs. I would not do a long hike with this bag.
As to tent choices--there are so many good options for three season use. On the inexpensive end look at Eureka-the Spitfire one or two. Expensive would include the Hubba and similar inner net models that might keep condensation down a bit.
Do the same search for tent options. Make a list of things you won't accept-my list begins with the need to sit up comfortably-and eliminate the ones that don't fit your needs then look closer at the ones that seem right.
Last, buy from a place where you can return an unsuitable choice with no questions asked.
Sounds to me like you are looking to lighten things up so that there will not be such a big shock when you finally shoulder your pack. Speaking from this experience--spend what you need to spend for modern lightweight gear. Learn to tarp or hammock. I thought at first that I would not survive the sticker shock induced by my Western Mountaineering ultralight sleeping bag. I did survive and consider the bag my most cost effective gear purchase ever.
Hope this was helpful. Have fun and remember, it really isn't about gear as long as the pack is light enough to carry.

Mountain Wildman
02-01-2010, 14:19
It is true that synthetic bags will keep you warmer if they get wet, However, not much warmer, I am sure all would agree that you should not skimp on the main three, Tent, Bag and Pack. Spend the money if you have it on a quality tent and you wont have to worry about your bag getting wet, I used a synthetic bag for camping since 1984 and it only got wet once and that was because of the tent being well used and ready to retire, If you plan to sleep under a tarp go with syntehtic, If you are in a good tent, Down is a good choice, Like Snowleopard said, Bag it up, double, triple even, a trash bag weighs little, Set your tent up first then put the bag in, Use a sleeping pad under the bag then any residual moisture on the floor wont be an issue if there even is any. I will be using either a Lunar Duo or a Lightheart Duo fro my Thru-Hike in 2011. They both close up more than a Tarptent so moisture should be less of an issue, Inevitably, it is a personal choice for each individual, Like any advise, Listen, evaluate, compare and come to the decision that is right for you. In the end you will be the one carrying and using your decision. But, Always going with the lightest gear possible will probably never be a bad choice. If you can afford it, purchase what you feel will be best for you.

BrianLe
02-01-2010, 14:30
"I will be using either a Lunar Duo or a Lightheart Duo fro my Thru-Hike in 2011. They both close up more than a Tarptent so moisture should be less of an issue"

Depends on what form of moisture you're talking about; "close up" a single-wall tent and the typical response is more condensation. Normally one wants to allow as much airflow as possible for this reason, only closing up (down?) your tent when there's wind-blown rain or a lot of splashing, hard rain. My tarptent has good airflow and I find that I'm almost always keeping it as "open" as possible, to include in substantial rain.

Mountain Wildman
02-01-2010, 14:44
Brianle,
Yes, It depends, I meant meant heavy, blown rain although I failed to elaborate, I have never owned a single wall tent though I have done a lot of reading and inquiring about them. From what I understand, the moisture in a single wall tent will usually be minimal as a result of condensation. I like the Tarptents and originally had decided to go with the Squall 2 because I like to have room, I am just under 6 feet and around 280 lbs. I read many reviews which stated misting or spraying through the beaks of the tarptents which resulted in sleeping bags being exposed to moisture, but nothing extreme in terms of wetness. Being that I will be using my gear on a Thru-Hike I figured it would be a good idea to keep the inside of my tent as dry as possible. I am in no way an expert on hiking, I have camped since 1984 but mostly car camping in campgrounds and occasionally in the middle of the woods of Vermont. I have gotten most of my info from this site and thanks to the many posts I have come to what I feel are good choices for me. I live near the A.T. and will be testing my choices this spring and summer.

BrianLe
02-01-2010, 15:10
"From what I understand, the moisture in a single wall tent will usually be minimal as a result of condensation"

In fact, condensation is --- or can be --- one of the big downsides of a single-wall tent, particularly in humid areas and/or where there's little air movement to dry out the inside. I always carry a light pack towel to dry off the inside as well as outside of my tent, and have had to use it to dry the inside on occasion to prevent drips. Don't take my word on the condensation thing --- an internet search will quickly turn up multiple comments along this line.

That said, good site selection can help, and just keeping it as ventilated as possible.

I used a Tarptent Contrail for about 2000 miles of the PCT in 2008 (poncho tarp in the dryer and less buggy southern portion), but it didn't rain that many days. I live in western WA, however, where it does rain quite a bit. I'm definitely not saying that single wall tents are "bad" due to condensation, but it is IMO one of the bigger factors in choosing a tent like that.

I'll be using a Gatewood Cape (http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45) for the first ~1/4 of my AT-attempt starting later this month, then I'll likely move back to my Contrail (http://tarptent.com/contrail.html) for the rest of the trip --- to have a more spacious bug-free zone to retreat to at night. Either one of those does okay for me in terms of keeping me dry (I do have to be a little careful with the Gatewood Cape to keep the end of my bag from touching the ~tent wall).

Snowleopard
02-01-2010, 15:40
BrianLe, the Gatewood Cape is an interesting choice for the AT in Feb. Have you used it in the snow? What about space for your gear in winter? I don't like the idea of not having separate raingear, but that's just my personal preference. If you were designing it as a separate shelter (not raingear) would you make it much bigger? I'm planning on making a tent/tarptent, so feedback on size is helpful.
For the newbies: It's nice to have a tent that holds you and all your gear, but you can always carry an extra garbage bag to put your pack, etc., in.
PS, To emphasize what MountainWildman says, you need a pad or mattress under you. It's not just for comfort, but for insulation from the cold ground except in warm summer conditions. A $6 Walmart foam pad is good enough, thermarest mattresses are more comfortable.

Mountain Wildman
02-01-2010, 16:08
I have read that condensation is an issue with single wall designs and was going to go with a Tarptent or Lunar Duo anyway since most say they also do the pack towel thing in their single wall tents. I am now intrigued with the Lightheart Tent that Sgt. Rock referred to in another forum, The Duo model is due in late April according to the website and being a Hybrid may have less of the condensation issue.

Saffirre8
02-01-2010, 16:27
Thanks to everyone for there info. This has been truely helpful.
Happy trails!

BrianLe
02-01-2010, 22:17
"BrianLe, the Gatewood Cape is an interesting choice for the AT in Feb. Have you used it in the snow? What about space for your gear in winter? I don't like the idea of not having separate raingear, but that's just my personal preference. If you were designing it as a separate shelter (not raingear) would you make it much bigger? I'm planning on making a tent/tarptent, so feedback on size is helpful."

First off I should say that I have little experience with the Gatewood Cape --- I got it for this trip (which starts late this month). Of course I've used it *some*, but I don't have a lot of experience with it. Note also that I'm on the AT a bit ahead of the crowds I think (?), so one theory is that shelter space will be a bit more available in bad weather if the G.C. isn't super comfortable --- I can certainly make it fine in it, just saying that the possible alternative at times makes this feel like a more credible way to save a bit of weight at the beginning (while I'm still flabby and weak!).

It's definitely a trade-off. The somewhat frustrating thing about the Gatewood Cape IMO is that if you're on the tall side, it's a bit short as a tent, but if you're on the short side, it's a bit long as a poncho (!), so ideal is some sort of sweet spot of height in between. I'm just under 5'10" and it's okay for me in both configurations, of the two it's a bit skimpy in length when in tent mode.

Space for gear: not really a problem, there's space inside there. I'll likely put stuff in a black plastic yard bag anyway, to be able to use protected "stuff" to partially block wind in bad weather; putting it outside the ~tent that way would work too. But there's enough room for me + stuff inside.

One aspect of not having distinct raingear is dealing with rain when in camp. On the PCT I mostly just pitched my shelter and got in and stayed in when the weather was nasty. The AT is a bit more social (?), and in general I believe it rains more often on the AT, so I'm carrying a really thin, light "emergency poncho", adds 1+ oz of weight.

The biggest issue with the G.C. for me is when the interior bug net is used. For me personally, I wish there were a couple more connection points to pull the separate net tent more away from my body. Yes, I could add these myself ...

My solution instead is that by the time it gets buggy I'll switch to a tarptent.

One nice thing about the G.C. is just having it along on dayhikes, or on trips where consistently bad weather isn't anticipated. For a shaped tarp that's also a poncho it's a nice design, or at least for those that are about the right height for it to work for them in both ways. It seems to handle wind well, keeps me comfy and dry when it is raining, pretty fast and easy to pitch.

If you're not already aware of these, some links to related products you might consider (I know nothing about any of these):
http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/ponchotent.htm
https://www.prolitegear.com/alpinlite-microburst-poncho-tent.html
http://www.ultralightoutfitters.com/ponchotent.html

Snowleopard
02-02-2010, 08:48
BrianLe: Thanks for the info. The alpha tent as a boat is pretty funny. They're all quite stylish as ponchos :)
The weight of the Gatewood Cape is really nice. Have fun on your hike.