PDA

View Full Version : Water...cool cool clean water?

sojo
02-01-2010, 18:33
I've been using a Sweetwater filter for several years...it's ok but I think I can do better?? What kind of advice is out there other than using a "heavy" filter? Sojo

climber2377
02-01-2010, 19:05
i have the katadyn hiker water filter and i like it. some people say that you have to be careful that it doesnt freeze up on you... i am not an expert on the subject... but i like the fact that you can pump and drink right away, no waiting for drops to work and all that. i think the flavor is better. i ve tried a few other methods of water purification. although filter are heavier, i feel they are worth the weight.

sojo
02-01-2010, 22:07
Thanks Climber, have you ever used the polarpure "drops"? I understand that there is an iodine after-taste and am wondering what different ways there are to reduce that?

Praha4
02-01-2010, 22:11
if you are worried about long term drinking of iodine treated water, try Aquamira, chlorine dioxide drops.

both filters you mentioned are good, I use the MSR Miniworks-EX, but those others are good ones too

Deadeye
02-01-2010, 22:54
I use Aqua Mira drops for quantity and an Aqua Mira squeeze filter bottle (link below) for convenience. I get the best of both worlds. I can treat a volume of water if I want, or I can fill my bottle from a stream and drink on the spot. Lightweight, inexpensive, and both the drops and replacement filters are readily available. YMMV

http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-bottle-and-filter/

Hatfield
02-02-2010, 15:37
Chilly water

SurferNerd
02-02-2010, 15:47
I also use a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter. It's heavier than tablets, doesn't use batteries, but is always reliable and working. With tablets, you have to constantly buy them which is $ and a hassle. You also have to worry about time, the water with tablet treatment isn't instantly usable. With SteriPen and the MSR thing, there are batteries involved, another hassle to try and lug around. Esp since SteriPen uses non standard batteries. CR123 aren't cheap.

Tried and True, ceramic filters are heavier in weight. But we require no filter changes in the short frame, we don't require expensive batteries or tablets. Our water is instantly drinkable without any odd tastes or brown floaties. They just plain work..

Spokes
02-02-2010, 16:04
I was a "filter" guy before my thru hike. I thought I'd do the Charlton Heston thing and yell "From my cold dead hands!".

Then I tried Aqua Mira.

I threw my filter away.

Cosmo
02-02-2010, 19:09
I've broken two Sweetwater filters, right at the top of the pump rod. Probably 30 camping days on each one. I would not recommend this type for a thru. If you bring any filter, bring some aqua mira or other chemical treatment as a back up--or take your chances with "raw" water. Actually, your odds are pretty good (unless you get stuck at some really nasty sources).

The way I've seen many people handle their filtration chores, they probably cross-contaminate to some degree every time. Think about how you would filter out of a toilet bowl and go through how you would set up, break down and store your filter w/o any of the nasties getting where they should not. All those dripping hoses, keeping your hands dry, getting the gear back into bags of some sort--pretty tricky to be completely confident. Now figure on doing it 3 times a day.

Cosmo

sasquatch2014
02-02-2010, 19:14
I have the Hiker Pro and it has been good on this last trip i didn't break it down and forgot to put the filter in my bag that night close to 0* and it froze up solid so had to make do in the AM for a short 9 miles.

Pony
02-02-2010, 20:21
Thanks Climber, have you ever used the polarpure "drops"? I understand that there is an iodine after-taste and am wondering what different ways there are to reduce that?

Yuck. I used it once, on the Approach trail. Decided I'd rather take my chances and drink straight from the spring. I don't always treat my water, but I always carry aqua mira, in the event that the water source is questionable. This is a personal choice though, so I'm not telling you to drink untreated water.

Praha4
02-02-2010, 20:27
what Cosmo said is exactly why I quit using the "2-hose" pump filters like the Katadyn Hiker... I've never found a way to keep that "clean" output hose from getting some kind of contamination, it's just gonna happen when you are on the trail for weeks.

CrumbSnatcher
02-02-2010, 20:33
iN 99 I used a sweet water it eventually turned into crap!very high maintainence!
ever since ive used a pur hikerpro (katahdyn now) BY FAR the hikerpro is a much better filter. might be a better filter nowdays? my time on the trail i never used or seen a better filter than the hikerpro. on cold nights make sure you pump out everything and you could always wrap a fleece or something around it

thelowend
02-02-2010, 20:51
I also use a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter. It's heavier than tablets, doesn't use batteries, but is always reliable and working. With tablets, you have to constantly buy them which is $ and a hassle. You also have to worry about time, the water with tablet treatment isn't instantly usable. With SteriPen and the MSR thing, there are batteries involved, another hassle to try and lug around. Esp since SteriPen uses non standard batteries. CR123 aren't cheap.

Tried and True, ceramic filters are heavier in weight. But we require no filter changes in the short frame, we don't require expensive batteries or tablets. Our water is instantly drinkable without any odd tastes or brown floaties. They just plain work..

Amen to all that. I have the Katadyn hiker pro as well and I have only used it a few times but it's great... much better than iodine or other weird chemicals. Very much worth the weight.

thelowend
02-02-2010, 20:55
what Cosmo said is exactly why I quit using the "2-hose" pump filters like the Katadyn Hiker... I've never found a way to keep that "clean" output hose from getting some kind of contamination, it's just gonna happen when you are on the trail for weeks.

.... you detach it from the filter after you are done pumping the water and be extra careful to make sure it is in the bottle or whatever container is holding the water while pumping. you could even trim the output hose so that you could hold the filter to where it wouldnt even touch the water source if it fell out of the bottle (because the input hose is longer). even if it does get "contaminated", you could disinfect it somehow in a town.

Powder River
02-03-2010, 19:58
I used the MSR Hyperflow during my thru and it was a complete joke. Usually the cartridge would clog permanently after about 8 liters. But they redesigned the cartridge last year and I've used it on several week long trips with no problems. So my faith is tentatively restored. I like that it does not have an outlet hose, but rather a nozzle that fits perfectly inside a regular disposable water bottle. It's about 8 ounces.

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 20:04
You can take your chances and use nothing. I will deal with the 16 ounces of weight of my filter and not risk spending a day or more vomiting.
http://www.trailjournals.com/images/gear/IMG_0218.JPG

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 20:05
Man that picture came out big!!

Tinker
02-03-2010, 20:11
I use the First Need (but I don't do hikes longer than a couple of weeks, max.). I absolutely HATE the taste of chlorine in my water (I have a tap filter at home) so I don't think I could chemically treat my water and be happy. Sure the filter is heavy, but it pumps fast, the water tastes good, and I'm assured that it takes nearly EVERYTHING (including some agricultural chemicals) out of the water. I sure wish that General Ecology would make something lighter and just as effective, though.

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 21:37
As far as the cross contamination the same goes for those that use drops I have seen people with drops of untreated water on the lip of their container. Basically it is all a crap shoot. Condoms are only 99% effective but if you want to avoid certain nasties most folks will still use them. I use a filter because I have seen what the water coming out of the RPH pump looks like even after AM drops.

peakbagger
02-05-2010, 14:02
It been stated before in a few spots but Iodine based treatment can be a problem for some folks as its screws up their thyroid after long term use. The local medical clinic in Gorham got enough cases that they knew to ask southbound thruhikers what they were using for water treatment.

The other side effect from iodine is that it can cause a continual case of the "runs".

Blissful
02-05-2010, 14:05
Aqua mira is all you need AT wise.

4shot
02-05-2010, 15:33
Aqua mira is all you need AT wise.

at any of the outdoors stores I frequent, including several REI stores here in the Southeast. Is there a reason it is hard to find or am I not looking in the right places?I plan on ordering on-line but...is it available easily in towns near the AT or should I purchase enough and have them mail dropped to me?

Gunner81
02-05-2010, 21:32
Aquimiria...its light, it doesn't take a lot of room in your pack, and you can get it in most towns you pass through

4shot
02-05-2010, 23:25
Thanks. I plan on taking some with me (i have used a filter in the past and may take it as a backup) but I can't find it locally although most places will have the Katadyn pur tablets. Are they (AquaMira and the Katadyn pur tablets) the same thing under different brand names?

Johnny Appleseed
02-08-2010, 01:46
My sweetwater rocks. I got a new filter and it will serve me well this coming PCT hike. The original filter made the whole AT hike. The tubes I washed out when I got to town, but I only did this twice a month. It is very sturdy and I was selective about not sucking in soot that might make me pump harder or did I pump too quick. Also I only pumped once a day.

Cross contamination-treat your stuff good. Using a tiny bit of filtered water to rinse off the hoses while they are wet will help. I was always careful to wrap the clean hose around my neck during pumping and also kept the hoses separated from each other just in case. Preventive care counts for a lot. If you are concerned just be more cautious.

scope
02-10-2010, 13:03
I have a filter, and it rocks for getting good spring water fast and with peace of mind, but it is bulky (a Vario). I think I should try the chlorine dioxide stuff and just wondering, is there any difference between the Aquamira, Katadyn and Potable Aqua? All seems to be about the same, similar price with the PA being a bit cheaper and Aquamira more expensive. I mostly see references to Aquamira here, so wondering if it has less chlorine taste or some other benefit as opposed to the others?

4shot
02-10-2010, 13:44
I have a filter, and it rocks for getting good spring water fast and with peace of mind, but it is bulky (a Vario). I think I should try the chlorine dioxide stuff and just wondering, is there any difference between the Aquamira, Katadyn and Potable Aqua? All seems to be about the same, similar price with the PA being a bit cheaper and Aquamira more expensive.

and this is what I have concluded. Katadyn and AquaMira are both chlorine dioxide, the other is iodine (much less preferred for health/taste reasons). The Aqua Mira has drops, which is cheaper, and tablets but the Katadyn appears to be available in tablets only. I have ordered the drops but haven't used them yet. I will take them and my filter as backup. Based on what I've read the filter will probably get sent home. Hope this helps.

scope
02-11-2010, 14:18
and this is what I have concluded. Katadyn and AquaMira are both chlorine dioxide, the other is iodine (much less preferred for health/taste reasons). The Aqua Mira has drops, which is cheaper, and tablets but the Katadyn appears to be available in tablets only. I have ordered the drops but haven't used them yet. I will take them and my filter as backup. Based on what I've read the filter will probably get sent home. Hope this helps.

Potable Aqua makes chlorine dioxide tablets as well. My assumption is that its all basically the same. I'm curious about the drops, might be a little easier to use but also heavier.