PDA

View Full Version : Best trail dinner!!!

PUNKINPUSS11
02-01-2010, 21:05
whats ur favorite trail dinner after a long day hike?? Keep it simple trying to get ideas im packing food for my 3 friends for the JMT.

cowpoke
02-01-2010, 21:16
simple...mine is MountainHouse Beef Stroganoff with packets of parmesan cheese from Pizza Hut....simple...easy...very light-weight.

JustaTouron
02-01-2010, 21:16
Me and my kids have settled on this have settled on this......

Applizer: GORP with M&Ms and various of dried fruits.
Soup: Lipton instant onion or instant chicken.
Main course: kielbasa heated over wood fire for dad/hot dogs for kids
side: baked potato
dessert: baked apple
evening snack: s'mores

ShakeyLeggs
02-01-2010, 21:31
Everything tastes better on the trail. So I will have to say, what I happen to be eating at the time.:D

PUNKINPUSS11
02-01-2010, 21:33
mountain house r way 2 expensive for a LD hike tho,. Cant pack kielbasi. i shoulda specified a long distance hike with food drops my bad

Hooch
02-01-2010, 21:33
Enertia Trail Foods' Max Patch Mac n Cheese with crumbled bacon, extra peas and a good shot of Texas Pete. Yum!

DAKS
02-01-2010, 21:48
ramen noodles(sans the seasoning packet)
foil packet of chicken
powdered peanut butter
excessive amount of hot sauce like texas pete for the WIN!

powdered hummus
olive oil
pita bread or a bagel

instant taters
1 package of brown gravy
foil packet of chicken
stuffing or a tore up bagel
craisins

sparky2009
02-01-2010, 22:23
"Darn Good Chili" from Walmart. 1 packet makes enough for 2 people. If your going to break it up into 2 meals, make sure the seasoning is split evenly between the 2 servings.

Deadeye
02-01-2010, 22:44
Taste of Thai Pad Thai - it comes in a box with noodles, sauce, oil, and peanuts. Drop it all in some boiling water, and add a packet or can of chicken or shrimp, and some dried veggies.

That 3-part meal (a flavor base such as a cup o soup, a protein, and some veggies) is my base for almost unlimited variations:

Dried pea soup, ham (soy ham bits, canned ham, pepperoni, etc,) and carrots.

Cheesy mashed potatoes, chicken, peas or broccoli

Curried Thai noodles, shrimp, veggies

I usually soak the dehydrated veggies for a while, and then bring the veggies to a boil in the soaking water. Eliminates any cooking time beyond that necessary to boil water, and rehydrates the veggies up nicely.

You get the picture. Most grocery stores have a wide selection of instant soups, mashed potatoes, bean, noodle, or rice dishes in a cup that can be the start of a good dinner. After some experimenting, you can skip the prepared stuff and make your own. Check out harmony house for dried veggies and soy protein meat substitutes.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/

Wise Old Owl
02-01-2010, 22:51
http://squarehe.com/images/0508/pig.jpg

Tuckahoe
02-01-2010, 23:16
Right now for myself, its Sweet Italian Sausage and Pasta from Hawk Vittles. Pretty tasty stuff.

reddenbacher
02-01-2010, 23:33
spicey tuna pack crushed dry raiman chopped dry cherries sunflower seeds hot sc.

daddytwosticks
02-02-2010, 08:36
Barrilla (sic) tortillini with spagetti sauce powder. Easy, filling, and tastes great! :)

dgaf169
02-02-2010, 09:16
I also like the borilla tortillini but I prefer to use the pesto that somes in a tube.

But my all time favorite would have to be knorr pasta side broccolli cheddar flavor with a spam single cut into little cubes, bacon bits, a disgusting amount of parkay squirt butter, and hot sauce. Its cheap but most importantly its high in carbs, fat, and protien!!!

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2010, 21:33
So . . . this is a little daunting, to be honest.

My husband and I are gearing up for a GA-ME thru-hike starting March '11. We don't eat processed food, fake food, chemicals - essentially, about 90% of the stuff sold in supermarkets today.

We're more concerned about finding affordable, quality sleeping bags, tent/tarp, packs and boots/shoes right now, but at some point we'll have to focus on our diet and how it translates to the trail.

Is it really that impossible to eat fresh, real foods while hiking? Out of concern for weight and what kinds of foods we eat, at this point we've ruled out a camping stove. We're kinda set on foods like nuts, fruits, canned vegetables, cereal, etc.

I don't want to hike the trail at the expense of my health; surely they aren't incompatible.

Any thoughts?

wudhipy
02-07-2010, 22:26
Whatever is closest at hand.:rolleyes:

GGS2
02-07-2010, 22:43
I don't want to hike the trail at the expense of my health; surely they aren't incompatible.

Any thoughts?

Wow. Quite a few, actually. First up, camp stove: Once you've had a chance to survey the posts here, you will find there are quite a few alternatives for stoves. By camp stove, I presume you mean a Coleman stove or a variant. I don't imagine any thru hikers would carry such a thing past the first few miles. The ordinary stove for thrus weighs just a few ounces. The alternatives are cannister (liquified fuel gas), alcohol, gas or kerosene (a miniature version of the Coleman) and wood burners. You'll find advocates for all of these here on WB. Study carefully.

Trail cookery: This means anything from boil water and rehydrate through baking and multi-course meals. Most thrus limit their cookery to variants on the boil and eat, usually in one pot per person or couple. That's why the simple stoves above are adequate. If you want to do more complex cookery, it is all possible, but you will pay in pack weight. That's a personal decision.

Trail food: Of course this goes hand in glove with the cookset and stove, but there's more to it than that. If you want to buy food along the way, bear in mind that some of your supplies will come from small country stores with limited selection, especially of fresh foods. Also, a good many of the items in your selection will be of the 90% that you won't want to eat. But there are alternatives. Somewhat out of fashion is the mail drop option. You prepare packages of the foods you want to eat, and you get someone back home to mail them to you as you move down the trail. There are many posts about this, and how to do it. Look in the articles section, and also look for threads on dehyration, freezer bag cooking and resupply.

Now, there's something else for you to think about. Eating while hiking is very different from eating at home. Generally speaking, eating at home is a matter of limiting the calories and "chemicals" while getting enough nutrients. On the trail, it's the other way around. You need to pack in as many calories as you can stand, and sufficient nutrition usually comes along for free because of the quantity of food you will want to eat. Now, large amounts of processed food will come with an excess of "chemicals", but what you really need are not processed foods. What you need are heavy starches, oils and fats, and some extra protein. There are lots of theories about this, but I think there's plenty of latitude for you to do it your own way. The key variables are the calorie density (fats are more dense than carbs and proteins), and water content (with most foods, the weight is mostly water, which contributes no calories and weighs a lot: hence the emphasis on dried foods and rehydration techniques.) So most of the resupply options for thrus come from the dried food aisle, and from the cooking oil section (olive oil is preferred by many). That is for food you will carry out onto the trail and cook there. Many people carry treats, like perishable foods, that they will only carry until their first or second meal stop. Some will gladly carry a dozen eggs or bacon, etc. Again, it is your choice, but the key is that if you are going to eat it, you have to carry it.

If you crave foods that you cannot carry, plan on stuffing yourself at town stops.

So, what you will see a lot of are pastas, dehydrated starches like potatoes, grits, cereals, etc. And to make them palatable, dehydrated fruits and vegetables, sauces, herbs, etc., with some dried meats. Also high fat foods like peanut butter. Not so much bread, as this is perishable and water dense. Perhaps crackers and drier breads. Trail cooked breads are entirely possible, but many thus just don't feel like that much cooking, especially at the end of the day.

If this seems to be a bit familiar, it should be, because it is the base of travel and work food through the ages. Add in some cheeses and preserved foods, and you have peasant food from almost anywhere in the world. The only difference is which culture in comes from, and the hiker's emphasis on dehydration and simplicity.

So, there is nothing incompatible between hiking and eating healthy food, but depending on your choices, you may have to be creative and adapt your idea of good food to what you can carry on your back.

Now, that's more than enough from me. You will find many opinions and not a few experts on trail cookery, nutrition and the like right here. Learn how to search the archives and start reading. And test what you like at home and on overnight and short hikes. Don't wait for the big event.

jnl82381
02-08-2010, 00:42

My husband and I are gearing up for a GA-ME thru-hike starting March '11. We don't eat processed food, fake food, chemicals - essentially, about 90% of the stuff sold in supermarkets today.

We're more concerned about finding affordable, quality sleeping bags, tent/tarp, packs and boots/shoes right now, but at some point we'll have to focus on our diet and how it translates to the trail.

Is it really that impossible to eat fresh, real foods while hiking? Out of concern for weight and what kinds of foods we eat, at this point we've ruled out a camping stove. We're kinda set on foods like nuts, fruits, canned vegetables, cereal, etc.

Any thoughts?

are you guys Paleo? my wife and i are on that diet. if you're not, the two seem pretty similar. you are correct though, when i hike this summer, i'll not be following the rules because without spport from mail drops, it would be impossible. if you are on the paleo diet, let me know what kind of response you get here or what you figure out. i'd be interested to learn what some other options are for food during shorter trips. thanks.

mweinstone
02-08-2010, 11:59
wakapacs moms dehydrated spagettie dinner thingymabobs.

sarbar
02-08-2010, 12:20

Any thoughts?

It isn't hard. A dehydrator and a few days work equals a years worth of meals.

Personally unless I am buying Eden, I don't consider canned vegetables to be "healthy" due to the high sodium used to preserve. Frozen vegetables tend to be of higher quality and are in most cases just veggies. You have to read packages of course to see what country they come from (same with canned goods).

Any grain can be precooked and dehydrated, allowing "instant" trail foods.

Cereal by itself isn't very high in calories, so do research that.

While I use convenience products in my trail meals most of what I eat is based on normal foods (rice, pasta, other grains, vegetables, fruit, etc) with the convenience products used for flavoring. I make my own mixes or I use organic versions when I can. I for example live on a lower sodium diet and cannot consume artificial coloring - which limits my diet in some ways.

But I never starve and I eat very well.

There is after all...a world beyond Mt. House Meals and Top Ramen...one just has to walk over to it ;)

sarbar
02-08-2010, 12:23
And I might add.....

Food HAS to be important. It will be more important than most everything you carry. Food is your fuel. It is what makes you want to get up in the morning, what carries you on to camp during cold, wet days.

Yes, there are people who can eat a bag of nuts for 6 months straight. They are few. Most people need food they crave.

Don't wait till the last minute.

Start trying out ideas NOW. Have them for lunch once a week, have a hiker dinner twice a week. Learn how to cook everything the way you want - on your stove of choice, in the pot you will use.

Otherwise you run the risk of a week into your hike looking at your food and crying miserably.

Sassafras Lass
02-08-2010, 14:37
"are you guys Paleo? my wife and i are on that diet."

No, we're not following any kind of prescribed diet - we're just giving up man-made foods. I've seen too much evidence for what real foods do for your health to keep polluting myself any longer. I've been off the healthy wagon for a few months and I gained back 25 lbs, so I'm ready to be truly done this time.

I wholeheartedly agree about changing your diet to a hiking diet (though not the amount of calories) to get ready before you go; it'd be kinda like not exercising and breaking in your boots before you go.

Perhaps then a few mail-drops would be wise in our case. Thank you everyone! : )

J-Rod
02-08-2010, 16:04
Mine is Sheppard's Pie with gravy Mmmm
i take instant Mash Potatoes dehydrated beef,corn,peas,carrots
and instant gravy packet

rehydrate the beef,corn,peas,carrots on the water for the mash potatoes
once it's at a boil....pour everything into the mash potatoes mix and let sit

than make the gravy...

Lellers
02-08-2010, 23:46
Mine is Thanksgiving dinner. I use a pouch of loaded mashed potatoes, add in some dried cranberries and a packet or can of chicken, maybe a packet of turkey gravy. I like the Shepherd's pie idea above. I think next time I'll add some dried carrots or mushrooms.

Turtle Feet
02-09-2010, 00:04
Any grain can be precooked and dehydrated, allowing "instant" trail foods.

I love wheatberries, I was wondering if I could dehydrate them (once they've been cooked), and maybe rehydrate along the trail (before dinner) and simply serve, or reheat, once I get to camp.

Cakon
02-09-2010, 10:25
Sushi is my favorite if I have the time. Nori, instant rice, some sort of veggie (whatever is light and available) and tuna from a pouch or powdered scrambled eggs. Mix up some of the powdered wasabi (a trail staple of mine), soy sauce packet. If you feel up to it pack out some pickled ginger. It is light weight and different in a good way. It does take some prep time.

sarbar
02-09-2010, 20:12
I love wheatberries, I was wondering if I could dehydrate them (once they've been cooked), and maybe rehydrate along the trail (before dinner) and simply serve, or reheat, once I get to camp.

Sure! That is half the fun of drying foods - getting to have a well stocked hiker's pantry of goodies to use in meals :D

J-Rod
02-15-2010, 21:11
or a quick meal on the trail
1 pack of easy Mac & Cheese
1 Spam single

cut up the spam single and add it to the Mac & cheese when it's all done...add some hot sauce...and you ave a quick meat

or get a pouch of already cooked chicken $3 at most stores
Dehydrate ,corn,carrots, cooked noodles
also need 1 stick of string cheese
packet of butter(the small ones you get with your read when you go out to eat)

rehydrate the noodles,corn carrots,drain off water add in butter,chicken and string cheese(cut up ) and let sit for a few min
if you don't like noodles...can use rice in place of the noodles

Enjoy

AUhiker90
02-15-2010, 21:16
Foil pack of chicken
Stove top dressing with cranberries added in to make a awesome thanksgiving dinner

IceAge
02-16-2010, 16:32
Seems like I've posted this a few times in the past.

The best trail dinner is Stove Top Monterrey Mushroom stuffing with dried morels added. You can add foil chicken to it if you want, but the mushroomy goodness is good enough for me.

I bet you could make a healthier homemade version of that given about 10 seconds worth of thought, but I'm a busy man and don't have 10 seconds to spare.

sarbar
02-16-2010, 16:55
Seems like I've posted this a few times in the past.

The best trail dinner is Stove Top Monterrey Mushroom stuffing with dried morels added. You can add foil chicken to it if you want, but the mushroomy goodness is good enough for me.

I bet you could make a healthier homemade version of that given about 10 seconds worth of thought, but I'm a busy man and don't have 10 seconds to spare.

You can...but in all honesty using Stove Top is just easier and more consistent in results.

Father Dragon
02-19-2010, 06:26
whats ur favorite trail dinner after a long day hike?? Keep it simple trying to get ideas im packing food for my 3 friends for the JMT.

Here are some of my favorites ... all done in one pot.

Red Beans and Rice
Onion (fresh or flakes)
Bacon Bits (real bacon type)
Hot Sauce
--------
Dehydrated Potatoes (or freeze dried) [not flakes]
Beef Cube
Paprika
Kidney Beans
Onion
Cabbage
Dried bell pepper
-----------
Several types of Beans
Onion
Bacon
Dried Pepper
Pork soup packet
Garlic
Hot Sauce
-----------
Grits [added last]
Onion [fresh, cooked down a bit in the water first ... this is key]
Bacon [added after onions cook a bit ... also key]

This is actually my favorite breakfast but hey who says you can't have it for dinner?

-------------
Pasta side (which ever)
Salmon pack
Dill
Orange and Red Bell Pepper
Cashews (optional)

-----------

Gosh I could go on but ...

Treefingers
02-20-2010, 20:32
Knorr "Sopa" tomato and star corn pasta soup. Found at many spanish and international food stores... Lentils and beans are great too

Manwich
02-20-2010, 21:43
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs090.snc3/15731_1212847893157_1587570496_522002_4959980_n.jp g

I see no need to eat any differently when on the trail. Preparation requires a tweak though. I used the broiling pan from my toaster oven, put some water in the middle and steamed it using my pocket rocket.

bullseye
02-20-2010, 22:18
Right now for myself, its Sweet Italian Sausage and Pasta from Hawk Vittles. Pretty tasty stuff.

Thanks fo rthe tip. I just ordered some stuff from them to try (including the Sweet Italian Sausage and Pasta - man that sounds good!).

chrisoc
02-21-2010, 17:31
Why do most of the Mountain House meals (and others) come as double servings?

daibutsu
02-21-2010, 18:05
It might be because a "single serving" isn't worth the prep, fuel, cleaning etc. MH is just alright, just as all those similar are; my energy goes to Knorr/Lipton pasta-noodle pacs, chicken/salmon pacs, Spam, and Gorp incl. Clif bars, spices, bagels, and canned bacon. Even fake Bacon bits (better living thru. chemistry too; mostly soy, real light, but tasty).

mweinstone
02-21-2010, 18:12
cardboard and salt dont fill ya up so they make double servings for one to be full.

sarbar
02-21-2010, 21:12
cardboard and salt dont fill ya up so they make double servings for one to be full.

Sadly true.

As well many freeze dried meals are very low in calories - like under 200 calories sometimes for a serving! A whole bag of even a higher calorie one might be 600-800 for both servings which is still low.

ridgerunninrat81
02-21-2010, 22:18
For me in 1981 the Mountain house two servings was big enough for one. By far the best diners I had on the AT was a dish we called Gooch Gap stew. Every hiker in the shelter had to donate one article. It was mixed together for all to eat. As you can guess it was never made the same way twice. It was called Gooch Gap stew because that was the first time we made it. It was done I think 8 or 9 times. No one complained about the result. However it was better to eat it after dark.

HumanBN
02-22-2010, 11:30
Dehydrated curry.

J-Rod
02-24-2010, 19:32
new one i just ame up with this week is taco dinner

i dehydrated some beef i had left over from taco night...
the beef was seasoned with taco seasoning ...

used Knorr Fiesta Sides Taco Rice

and a .25 cent bag of corn chips and chilli powder

1/4 cup of the taco beef half the packet of taco rice and a dash of chillin powder bring this all to a boil...and let it simmer for a few min...then let stand for 8-10 min

after that mix it up good...and crush the corn chips and add it in...
just made this today for lunch and came out really good...

lunatic
03-15-2010, 01:00
I found, so many factors on a thru-hike will influence what you can carry and what you want to carry; therefore your meals will vary and constantly change as you travel, and some will be far less nutritional than others. My fav became instant mashed potatoes mixed with sunflower seeds, bacon bits, tuna, and then splashed with hot sauce. From NH-ME border northward, I stuffed anything in my face that I could find...regardless of taste or caloric content. By then I was so hungry and so skinny it didn't matter.

LaurieAnn
03-15-2010, 05:30
Oh boy... that's a toughy... I have a palate for all sorts of wonderful foods. I really like the one pot chana masala I make. It requires some pre-trip effort at home to cook and dehydrate the meal. Here's a link...

Get Out! Chana Masala (http://www.getoutzine.com/chanamasala)

Keep in mind that you need to keep the pieces much smaller than the website owner shows in the photo so that it will rehydrate properly. I usually aim for about 5 to 6 mm. You want the potato pieces about the size of the chickpeas.

Here is a blog about the first time I made it which was for dinner at home rather than the trail.

Craveable - Chana Masala (http://craveable.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/chana-masala-my-first-attempt/)

Jonnycat
03-15-2010, 08:44
I'm a sucker for pasta with meat and tomatos, but my pasta with chicken and white sauce is a close second.

But those tomatoes are awfully hard to resist at the end of the day.

All FBC, BTW.

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 00:31
Asian night,
Pack of asian noodles w vegges(sold as a side dish)
Pouch of chicken
half a hand full of peanuts
Soy sauce
Amazing flavor and perfect portion

True Blue
03-18-2010, 23:40
Why not buy a dehydrator and start experimenting? You have time this summer to buy fresh veggies, make soups and dips, then dehydrate. Experiment with rehydrating times and quantities. Make your own trail mix.

I am diabetic and make most of my own trail food, paying special attention to my specific dietary needs and preferences. Be creative! It's fun!

LaurieAnn
03-19-2010, 10:24
I am diabetic and make most of my own trail food, paying special attention to my specific dietary needs and preferences. Be creative! It's fun!

Same here... and I adore the experimentation process... especially when something works out amazingly!

singingpilgrim
03-24-2010, 02:38
You can grow sprouts in a bag in your backpack. I'm not saying it's for everyone, it sounds like a hassle, but for the OP, that might be a good thing to add to her diet to keep it as raw and natural as possible.

That's not to say that man (or woman) can live by sprouts alone, lol. But it's doable as just one more component of a well rounded diet.

ragincajun
03-25-2010, 03:16
easy fast cheap get cans of tuna,chicken or tukey, trat brand ham/half cost of spam ,vienna sausage cans alternate types of meat maing 12 oz cans of treat last 4 meals mix meat with a ramen noodles or 2 pacs instant mac/the local grocery brand its cheaper alternating nights itl get boring gross even but were in a recession save money....oh and some super hot sauce i get in french quart VICIOUS VIPER order some and some tonys cajun seasoning on everything

Walkon-Pilgrim
03-26-2010, 00:04
Wow everybody- what a site. On 02-07 GHEPARDA stated her belief that healthy food without processing or chemicals was important to her and her partner. She wondered if she would have to give that up to thru hike the AT. I wish that I could have responded before she left on her hike. In fact, you don't ever have to sacrifice any of your well founded values. When I was a boy I met a women who called herself Peace Pilgrim. She was the first women to hike the entire AT in one season and she was no "hiker". She was on a pilgrimage for world peace. She eventually walked over 25,000 miles. Her journey puts the issue of food and equipment into perspective. A box of cereal and a bag of apples would take her 100 miles. Maybe you can be an ambassador of healthy eating on your journey, maybe you too can be a pilgrim instead of just a hiker.

Gator 65
03-31-2010, 16:56
Mountain House mac and cheese with a pack of tuna or chicken dumped into it. Follow that with a 940 calories Texas Honey Bun and that's your needed calories and protein for the next morning. The Texas Honey buns hold up well. I would pick up 6 or 8 of them in town and eat 2 each morning with a cheese stick for a quick 2000 calories breakfast

Disney
03-31-2010, 17:24
Wow everybody- what a site. On 02-07 GHEPARDA stated her belief that healthy food without processing or chemicals was important to her and her partner. She wondered if she would have to give that up to thru hike the AT. I wish that I could have responded before she left on her hike. In fact, you don't ever have to sacrifice any of your well founded values. When I was a boy I met a women who called herself Peace Pilgrim. She was the first women to hike the entire AT in one season and she was no "hiker". She was on a pilgrimage for world peace. She eventually walked over 25,000 miles. Her journey puts the issue of food and equipment into perspective. A box of cereal and a bag of apples would take her 100 miles. Maybe you can be an ambassador of healthy eating on your journey, maybe you too can be a pilgrim instead of just a hiker.

What does that have to do with this thread? This thread was started on February 1st, 2010, by a request for favorite trail meals. You can tell because the title of the thread is "Best trail dinner!!!"

For the record, my favorite trail dinner is a baked potato slow cooked under the ashes with some butter (out of the little sealed packets) and freshly cut leeks. With some sausage, also slow cooked on sticks next to the fire. Throw in some Gatorade. Afterwards, some good whiskey or rum and a little tobacco. I'm in heaven

Never tried ramps on the potato though, I bet they would be good.

Bear Cables
04-23-2010, 18:13

Any thoughts?

Try Mary Jane organics. Google Mary Jane Organics backcountry.

GGS2
04-23-2010, 20:19
Yoohoo! Gheparda? What do you think so far?

I suspect many of the suggestions you have received so far will not be to your taste, because they are based on processed foods you would not ordinarily choose. However, every one of them is based on an original concept or recipe that you can make up in your own kitchen, precook and dry, for example. The problem is not finding enough suitable recipes. The problem is delivering them to yourself on the trail. You should probably identify enough staple foods, like cereals, oils, proteins and calorie dense vegetables that you are likely to find along the trail at resupply points that you know will keep you going between mail drops. Then also prepare versions of your normal meals that can be dehydrated and packed for shipment to you at various resupply points along the trail. Look in the articles section for articles on resupply by mail. What remain, or are still missing are fresh vegetables and fruits. These you will have to find catch as catch can along the way. They will certainly be available at larger trail towns, in ordinary super markets and such, or at specialty markets and stands in season. Also in season, you will be able to gather berries and maybe apples or other tree fruit. None of these fresh things are packable more than a couple of days on the trail. So you will have to eat what you can in town, and then carry a few extras for the first couple of days on the trail.

You are undoubtedly not the first thrus to attempt this, so if you want more particular information, ask more particular questions. All the best.

toothpick
04-23-2010, 21:09
I have been experimenting with the prepackaged completes meals. Open them up and dump them in you cooking kettle on low heat and enjoy. They weigh in at 10 ozs. each though. Am going to try them on the trail next month in Virginia.

Erin
04-24-2010, 00:11
1.Foil of stove top suffing, packet of chicken and dehydrated morels.
2. Flour or corn tortillas, dehydrated seasoned refried beans,velveeta and mild taco seasoning and dehydrated onions. Sauce packets from Taco Bell. Shared with others,
3. Mountain House green beans-yum.

RGB
04-24-2010, 00:39
I even eat this off the trail. Boil some jerky for a couple of minutes, then add ramen.

volleypc
05-02-2010, 11:54
Paste Sides Mexican Rice, package of sweet and sour tuna, and tropical blend of dehydrated fruit (mangos/pineapple) I boil the water, pour in the contents of the rice, pour in half the tuna and eat the other half while I am waiting on the meal to cook (usually eat on a tortillo), just before the rice is done I add a handful of dehydrated tropical fruit. This meal never got old for me.

My second favorite meal is the mountain house chilli. I add a bag of fritos and cheddar cheese. Good stuff.

Appalachian Tater
05-03-2010, 00:26
Pizza leftover from lunch. Pack slices with toppings facing in and crust facing out and eat as a sandwich.

Sassafras Lass
10-01-2010, 11:40

Yoohoo! Gheparda? What do you think so far?

You are undoubtedly not the first thrus to attempt this, so if you want more particular information, ask more particular questions. All the best.

Thank you everyone ~ as it turns out I've had a very busy summer and got so enamored with gear that I plumb forgot about our food until that winter chill start blowing back in. :) I'd hate to buy a dehydrator before we left, knowing that it would just be sitting collecting dust while we're gone - right now we're only budgeting for AT needs and nothing else - but if we have to, we have to. I think what we'll end up doing is dehydrating a lot of veggies and fruits and meats so we can at least be sure of our nutrition there, bring some sea salt, cracked pepper, garlic powder and olive oil, and make do with everything else. For various reasons we're not doing a bounce box, so we'll just buck up and do what we can - which is rather the whole point anyways, isn't it? Deprivation and pioneering your way through? It'll be a challenge, and I'm long overdue for a challenge! :p Thank you all for your suggestions!

pcasebere
10-03-2010, 12:19

Any thoughts?

Towns are more often than not within a day's hike, so by all means, pack a few extras and don't give in for "fake food." After all, you need to take care of your body, and real food will definitely help in doing this for you. One such food you should look at is Colrabi and a hard cheese.. mmmm!

SpecialK
10-03-2010, 18:00
Mac n CHeese.........and a cold coke.

Wise Old Owl
10-03-2010, 20:53
"Darn Good Chili" from Walmart. 1 packet makes enough for 2 people. If your going to break it up into 2 meals, make sure the seasoning is split evenly between the 2 servings.

Add three six ounce petite steaks packed near frozen and with a mini blue cube and a bottle of medicinal Bourbon. (consumed first day out) ooooh and a bag of instant Idahoan flavored Potatos

Man FOOD

Know you know why folks hike with me......:D:D:D:D:D

Moose2001
10-07-2010, 23:00
Chicken Tacos - pick up a package of taco seasoning. Add a bit of water to your pan, drop in the taco seasoning, add a couple of foil pouches of chicken, heat. Drain the water. Add to tortilla, slice up some cheese and enjoy!

Also....I normally carry a lightweight plastic bottle. In most cases, it's a recycled peanut butter jar. Coming out of town, I'll open a can of beef stew and pour it into the bottle. Add some fresh bread from town. It'll stay good for most of the day. Heat and enjoy.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2010, 23:10
Chicken? whats Chiiiicken? Wrapped in what? where's the BEEF!