PDA

View Full Version : Dallas area hike

sweaty yetti
02-01-2010, 21:19
I'm looking to do a hike of 25 miles or more within a few hours of Dallas, Texas to help prep for my march 15th thru hike. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Wrangler88
02-01-2010, 21:47
The only places that I've heard of around here that you could do that distance is Cross Timbers Trail on Lake Texoma or you could drive to Quachita in Oklahoma or Arkansas. I've never been to either so I can't really say anything more than that. I would guess that Quachita would be better for AT prep but I don't know.

If you want to go somewhere a little closer you could hike the Greenbelt Corridor from Denton to Lake Ray Roberts State Park but it is extremely FLAT.

burger
02-01-2010, 22:48
It's about a 6 hour drive, but the Buffalo National River has a really beautiful backpacking trail (the Buffalo River Trail). I think it's 36 miles from end-to-end, and there are outfitters in the area that do shuttles.

skinewmexico
02-02-2010, 00:54
I'd go for the Greenbelt Corridor. It is flat, but it gets a little hilly after you get to the end, and start up over the highway into Ray Roberts SP. And it's really sandy on that part too. Beats nothing.

JDCool1
02-02-2010, 01:32
Check out the Lone Star Trail in east Texas. I believe you can find info by contacting the Sam Houston National Forest. One of the trail heads is located near Lake Conroe. It is listed among the national trails as well. I do believe that there are some trail journals about it on line. Have fun.

JDCool1
02-02-2010, 01:38
on down the page from your note on WB, there is a report on the Lone Star Trail and the reminder of Nocona's trip, (thank oso loco).
"Nocona hiked it in 2006. She has a journal on Trailjournals."

rhjanes
02-02-2010, 10:36
Pick up "60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Dallas/Fort Worth". You can also string some of the hikes together. I've been doing the Pilot Knoll trail, which is in the Lewisville area (20 miles north of Dallas). Add in that it's northern end at the Old Alton Bridge, is the southern/western end of the Elm Fork trail, and you'd have 12 miles out and back. Take a break at your vehicle, and repeat it. 25 miles.

RWK
02-02-2010, 11:19
Several good trails in SW Ark. including Caney Creek Trail and Little Missouri Trail which is part of Eagle Rock Loop Trail. There are a couple of others in the same area. Probably about 4 hours from Dallas but a pretty easy drive. If you need any more info on these let me know. They're pretty nice trails and good warm up hikes.

unclemjm
02-02-2010, 12:01
4-C Trail in the Davey Crockett forest might fit the bill and be closer to you than the LSHT.

Jack Tarlin
02-02-2010, 18:34
Yetti:

Mountain Dew lives in Dallas and knows the surrounding area very well. I'd PM him and see if he has any ideas for you.

MuffinMan11
02-02-2010, 19:36
Lake Georgetown Loop in Georgetown just north of Austin is probably what you are looking for. It is 26 miles around the lake easily done in 2 or 3 days. Not very hilly or anything and does have a short 1.5 mile road walk and 4 or 5 mile jeep trail walk. Its about a 2 to 2.5 hour drive. If you want more information let me know. A closer spot that was mentioned is Cross Timbers Trail on Lake Texoma. I have done about 10 miles of it before I lost the trail and turned around but it says it goes 14 one way so 28 total. That is about 1 to 1.5 hours away.

skinewmexico
02-02-2010, 22:20
And it never hurts to start small and work up.