PDA

View Full Version : My Starting Gear List

GeneralLee10
02-02-2010, 01:16
Okay, This is what I plan on starting out with on March 11th or 12th 2010.
I know that some things mite not have been listed. But give it hell:eek: and rip it apart:D. Tell me what you think :) Oh.. and my math mite be off to so correct it if you feel.

ULA Circuit= 2lb 2oz or Gregory z65= 3lb 12oz
WM Alder MF= 2lb 2oz
ThermaRest Prolite 4 Small= 1lb
Gossamer SpinnTwinn= 9oz
Ground Cloth +Stakes= 7oz
Pack Liner Compactor Bag= 2oz
Total=6lbs 4oz

DIY Bug net= 15oz (pick up when needed)

Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles= 1lb 2oz (duct tape on both)

Clothing:
NF Filght Searies Wind Shirt= 3oz
Columbia Fleece= 8oz (no zipper)
WM Vest= 7oz
Silk Cashmere Shirt= 9oz (for sleep)
Terramar Leggins Med weight= 6oz (black in color for walking in)
Patagonia Cap1 Shirt&Pants= 8oz (leggins for sleep)
Columbia Titanium Shorts/pants= 9oz (both pants on and shorts zip together) The pants I will have on.
Beanie= 2oz
Manzella Glove Liners= 1oz
MH Shell Gloves= 2oz
2Pair Wigwam low-cut socks= 2oz (have the 3rd pair on)
Exofficio underwear= 2oz (have the 1st pair on)
Total= 3lbs 7oz

Rain Gear:
OR Foray Raincoat= 14oz
MH Gore-Tex XCR Pants= 1lb 9oz (will send home when it warms up)
Total= 2lbs 4oz

Cooking:
Spoon= 6.3grm
Pot= 45grm
Lid= 13.7grm
Stove= 6grm
Stand= 8.6grm
Windscreen= 9.6grm
Cozy= 13.1grm
Mini Bic= ?
Heet Fuel bottle= ?
Total= 3.6oz

Water Treatment:
Aquamira
Sham Wow for prefilter= 12grm
2 liter platy= 1.4oz
1 used 1liter Aquafina Bottle= ?
Total= 1.8oz

1st Aid Kit:
Couple Band-Aids= 7.4grm
Neosporin= 16.9grm
2 Antiseptic Towelette= 7.6grm
2 Iodine Prep Pads= 2.3grm
Gold Bond Powder= 1oz
Toenail Clippers= 15grm
Mirror w/ needle on back= 15.8grm
Total= 3.3oz

Camp Shoes:
Crocs= 9oz
Shoes= Merrell Boots till it warms up

Tp and Toothbrush not weighed food bag will be a 2gal zip lock & 1 trash bag. I know there is a few things I missed hat,shades,knife,bear bag rope, etc. but think this is about it here. As you can see I got a new scale:p I did not know that the z65 was what it weighed I thought it was more:-?. The first scale I had must have been incorrect.

tammons
02-02-2010, 02:15
Looks like a good start.

I would add for me personally would be a spare set of merino johns and an insulated hooded UL parka like a thermawrap.
Since you have a tarp and are carrying a down bag, I would also probably also carry a MYOG 1.25 oz tyvek bivy bag.
I would probably set up a better food bag too.
I would personally just carry 10 oz set of driducks and toss them when they get trashed.
I did not see a rain cover for your pack.

I did not see any hygene/general/nav unless I missed it. I lump all that stuff together. This is my list.

deoderant

razor

Hand sanitizer

comb

Toothbrush and toothpaste

Floss

toilet paper partial roll

Soap

cutter advanced

Bandana

Atom light and batteries

Map

Trowel

Compass on wrist

Swiss Army knife pocket

If you want to look over my complete list go here.
Its missing a few odds and ends but most of it is there.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArT1lVGeXD9EdEhVZGNMdTdYSlhIN2VCTF8zMHpRZ kE&hl=en

rusty075
02-02-2010, 03:01
Headlamp?

The gore-tex pants are probably overkill...I bet you'll send them home pretty quickly. You'll probably find them to be too warm to hike in, even in cold, wet weather. I always have.

Looks like a good minimalist list. You'll be lighter than 95% of the people you meet on Springer.

GeneralLee10
02-02-2010, 10:16
Did not List:

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Floss (roll pulled out of container)
1/2 bar Dr. Bronner's soap
Hand Sanitizer
Face Soap (prescription must have)
TP
Knife
Headlamp: Petzel e+Lite (mite get a brighter one)
Camera: Pentax Optio W80
Tripod
Maps & Guidebook
Bandanna

The rain pants are for an added layer at camp. Will get sent home I am sure. No DO will stink regardless no razor not a need to shave. Bug spray not needed in the start. No trowel use foot or stick.

tammons
02-02-2010, 10:29
I also did not an emergency/survival pack. I guess some people dont carry them and
thats okay, but to me at least some duct tape, whistle and a space blanket would be a good idea. Also a knife. A buck hartsook weighs just 1/2 oz. If you want a real folder then a swiss army knife with a saw and scissors. A good large neck knife is the becker necker. It weighs 5 oz.

This is what I carry. Weighs about 5 oz

WP matches

Space blanket

Gorilla tape, rubber bands

8 aquamira h20 tablets

Micro compass on cord,

Items from factory pak

Scapel blade

Fresnel lens

Signal mirror

2 pc wp paper

Micro pencil

Nylon thread

Nylon cord

SS wire

Fish hooks

fire tinder

sparker

whistle

Sewing needle

Fish hooks

Safety pin

Chaco Taco
02-02-2010, 10:34
Looks like a good start.

I would add for me personally would be a spare set of merino johns and an insulated hooded UL parka like a thermawrap.
Since you have a tarp and are carrying a down bag, I would also probably also carry a MYOG 1.25 oz tyvek bivy bag.
I would probably set up a better food bag too.
I would personally just carry 10 oz set of driducks and toss them when they get trashed.
I did not see a rain cover for your pack.

I did not see any hygene/general/nav unless I missed it. I lump all that stuff together. This is my list.

deoderant

razor

Hand sanitizer

comb

Toothbrush and toothpaste

Floss

toilet paper partial roll

Soap

cutter advanced

Bandana

Atom light and batteries

Map

Trowel

Compass on wrist

Swiss Army knife pocket

If you want to look over my complete list go here.
Its missing a few odds and ends but most of it is there.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArT1lVGeXD9EdEhVZGNMdTdYSlhIN2VCTF8zMHpRZ kE&hl=en

Leave the deo and razor. you can those types of things in town or at Hostels. Dont take a trowel and Ill tell you why. You can dig a hole with the heel of your shoe or with something around you. Its a waste to take it.

tammons
02-02-2010, 11:01
Personal preference.
I personally like to take deoderant and a razor.
As far as the trowel, yeah I know, and you can do the same thing with a stick, but I have had one in my pack for about 20 years. It comes in handy and I use it for more than potty service.

Bags4266
02-02-2010, 12:06
2 lb 4 oz Rain Gear? ouch. Get a poncho or packa you'll shave over 24 oz

JustaTouron
02-02-2010, 12:26
2 lb 4 oz Rain Gear? ouch. Get a poncho or packa you'll shave over 24 oz

My daugher uses a poncho. If you bring a poncho also bring gaiters, otherwise where the poncho meets your legs will get soaked.

She also loves the fact she can change under it, or pop a squat while maintaining complete modesty.

garlic08
02-02-2010, 13:16
Very good list for going light! I did well with a very similar load, without the camp shoes, camera, maps, or cooking stuff. The rain pants are a little much. No pack cover needed with the compactor bag. No need for much more emergency gear with what's in your pack. A single edge razor blade (or two) is OK for a knife. You may want a little more in the way of medical dressing if you're not sure about blisters (like a roll of white athletic tape). I agree a better food bag (silnylon stuff sack) would be a good idea.

The lighter pack should carry everything comfortably. You could probably even do well with a very light frameless pack with that small a load, with a little tweaking.

GeneralLee10
02-02-2010, 13:45
Very good list for going light! I did well with a very similar load, without the camp shoes, camera, maps, or cooking stuff. The rain pants are a little much. No pack cover needed with the compactor bag. No need for much more emergency gear with what's in your pack. A single edge razor blade (or two) is OK for a knife. You may want a little more in the way of medical dressing if you're not sure about blisters (like a roll of white athletic tape). I agree a better food bag (silnylon stuff sack) would be a good idea.

The lighter pack should carry everything comfortably. You could probably even do well with a very light frameless pack with that small a load, with a little tweaking.

I do have a large Sea to Summit sil stuff sack. The food got soaked, it was in zip locks though. Rain pants, I can't seem to spend the money for lighter ones. I have a rain skirt made from a compactor bag and elastic cord for a belt that comes it at 2.75oz, cheep and alot smaller too. I have used an Umbrella it fits in one trekking pole nice and snug. Just sucks having to hold the darn thing up. The razor is not a bad idea way lighter than any knife.

ShelterLeopard
02-02-2010, 13:49
Indl- no ibuprofin or tylenol?

GeneralLee10
02-02-2010, 13:54
Indl- no ibuprofin or tylenol?

A few Rolaids that's about it.

ShelterLeopard
02-02-2010, 14:04
My med kit is a little more extensive- just because I figure, whatever I don't need, I can always get rid of, and in the middle of the trail, I'd rather have emergency meds than not have 'em. My pack is probably a couple pounds heavier than yours though. Hey- I'll see you on the trail! (I'll be starting pretty slow, so wave as you pass by!)

garlic08
02-02-2010, 15:15
A few Rolaids that's about it.

Good for you!

I also hike with no medication, not even aspirin. I believe if something hurts, you're doing something wrong and should change something--lighten up, slow down, or do something else for fun.

Wags
02-02-2010, 15:55
you should always carry some benedryl for an allergic reaction to a bee sting. even if you've been stung before and never had one. it happens and it sucks.

i agree with the brighter headlamp choice, at least until you're out of the snow. i got stuck out in the dark in a snow storm trying to follow white blazes with a headlamp that let me see about 5 feet. it was very scary

Spokes
02-02-2010, 16:00
Looks like a great list! Compare yours to this one:

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

You'll fine tune along the way.

Good luck

Spirit Walker
02-02-2010, 16:10
Re: Advil/Tylenol - you may not need it. A few hikers don't. Most do. I would carry it anyway, at least to start. Often when people can't sleep at night, it's because they have small aches and pains, not really bad, but enough to prevent sleep.

As to the food bag - it's hard to hang a ziplock or garbage bag from a bear pole without ripping it - especially if you have 5 days food.

GeneralLee10
02-02-2010, 17:17
As to the food bag - it's hard to hang a ziplock or garbage bag from a bear pole without ripping it - especially if you have 5 days food.[/QUOTE]

That I did not take into consideration. I have hung my food from trees with NP, in a trash compactor bag w/ bear bag rope. I more than likely will use some sort of sil sack with the items in 2gal zip locks.

As for the meds, I want to know when and where I hurt so I can care for it. To me covering the pain up will only allow for more injuries. If I need pain pills that bad then maybe I should get off the trail.

Chaco Taco
02-02-2010, 17:20
My food bag is one of the walmart style stuff sacks that come in 3 sizes. I use it and have for awhile. My original food bag was a kelty sleeping bag stuff sack until a bear got hold of it. Carried it 2300 miles

GeneralLee10
02-02-2010, 17:34
Looks like a great list! Compare yours to this one:

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

You'll fine tune along the way.

Good luck

Nice list, Thanks for the link

troglobil
02-03-2010, 11:10
Ibuprofin does more than cover up the pain. It is an antiinflamitory, it helps heal what hurts