PDA

View Full Version : Think I found a way to finace my thru...

drastic_quench
02-02-2010, 02:07
OT. I've got lots of it available at work, and if I hit it hard for six months, putting my regular pay towards bills, savings, and family of course, I think I could hit a safe mark - even including plane tickets. Worst case scenario is that I don't save enough, but I still have a big chunk. Maybe this sounds obvious, but I was unemployed for so long, and only part time employed prior to that, it is practically a revelation.

There's even a chance that I could bump up my prospective 2011 NOBO into a July 1st 2010 SOBO. It honestly fits my family's plans better, and as much as I'd miss both the trail culture and southern spring, I'd kill to get started earlier.

Thoughts? Oh, and tell me that there's still some hiker culture for SOBOs. I can dig isolated, but I don't want to completely miss out on the social aspect.

RedneckRye
02-02-2010, 03:20
As much as you'd kill to get started earlier, saving more will lead to more luxury.
Based on the name, that may be something you'd appreciate.
Having to scrimp and scrape thru the last several hundred miles and then get home broke versus working for another 6 or 8 months and having plenty of cash stashed seems to me to be a no brainer.

Mountain Dew
02-02-2010, 03:39
I agree with RedneckRye...

And I'll add....

If you think that you will like the social part thengo NoBo. Going sobo almost guarantees that you would miss trail days. Going to trail days during the year you hike is a big deal in my opinion. You also mention hiking with spring.... Going sobo is hiking with black flys for a months or so.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2010, 05:09
i went SOBO starting june 29 one year and encountered no black flies. there's plenty of "social aspect" going south. it's a better hike in my opinion

Jeff
02-02-2010, 08:06
SOBO's hikers definitely have a social network...and they seem to have alot of fun too!!! Don't start too early though, June SOBO'ers usually have some real challenges in Maine (bugs, rain, high water).

Doooglas
02-02-2010, 08:14
It's be a lot easier to just rob a liquor store :eek:

Chaco Taco
02-02-2010, 10:39
NoBo is fun, but it really is a big party, especially in Ga and NC. Not dissing on it. Im glad I did it Nobo but if I did it again, Id go Sobo.
Save money, especially with a family. Remember, get your family to come visit you on the trail.

garlic08
02-02-2010, 11:56
I worked with a guy where we didn't get OT (salaried) but he financed a new child by staying in the office at lunch time. Every time he left the office he paid $10 for lunch, $18 for a new CD, and $4 for a coffee drink--every damn day. He stopped doing that and was able to afford starting a family. A thru hike should be easy by comparison (and with the OT). Best of luck!

Blue Jay
02-02-2010, 13:42
Going sobo almost guarantees that you would miss trail days. Going to trail days during the year you hike is a big deal in my opinion.

As much as I hate to disagree with my old friend Diet Pepsi, do you really think going or not going to Trail Days has EVER been even a top 100 consideration for ANYONE in the planning of any thru, Nobo or Sobo? There are sooo many other considerations. Trail Days is at best an extemely minor side show, kind of like going to a really bad but fun movie, which plays over and over every year.:banana

ShelterLeopard
02-02-2010, 14:13
I'm not planning to go to TD, but it doesn't surprise me that others would plan their schedule around it. It's a well known hiker culture event, and many people who've never been think it's a landmark event.

prain4u
02-02-2010, 17:52
Overtime income can sometimes bump you into a different income tax bracket and the government then starts taking a higher percentage of taxes from you. So, if you are going to have a "tight" hiking budget--the possibility of paying additional taxes MIGHT make a difference in your planning.

Approximately a decade ago, I took on an additional job to earn more money for my family. The extra income pushed me into a higher income tax bracket. Under the rules in place at that time, almost all of my additional income was taxed at the rate of 28% instead of 15%. (Plus, I had to pay the usual Illinois State income tax of 3% and Social Security/Medicare tax of 7.65%). It all adds up pretty quickly.

Example: For $10,000 of extra income earned, they kept $2,800 in Federal income tax (instead of the $1,500 they would have withheld if I had still been in the lower tax bracket). That is a difference of $1,300. They also taxed me 3% for Illinois State income tax ($300) and $765 for Social Security/Medicare tax. Thus, $10,000 in additional income was down to $6,135 in take home pay.

If the overtime causes you to travel to work on additional days or to eat more meals out or to consume more break time snacks from the vending machines--you can deduct even more money from your overtime. (An additional $5 -$10 of expenses per day can sneak up on you pretty fast and really cut into your "profit". Over 100 days, that is an additional $500-$1,000 in overtime-related expenses.)

It doesn't take long for $10,000 in additional "income" to become just $5,000 to $6,000 (or less).

BOTTOM LINE: Sometimes, working overtime isn't as profitable as you hope!

Here is a Federal Income Tax Calculator:
http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

You are from Minnesota. In MN, the State Income Tax rate is 5.35% on all taxable earnings up to $33,220. On taxable earnings between $33,221 and $75,000 you pay 7.05% in State Income tax.

Johnny Appleseed
02-02-2010, 19:24
good point, I hate overtime for just this reason. You work harder and get excited-then boom-less cash then you planned for. Very noticeable w/o a calculator.

drastic_quench
02-03-2010, 00:17
Overtime income can sometimes bump you into a different income tax bracket and the government then starts taking a higher percentage of taxes from you. So, if you are going to have a "tight" hiking budget--the possibility of paying additional taxes MIGHT make a difference in your planning.

Approximately a decade ago, I took on an additional job to earn more money for my family. The extra income pushed me into a higher income tax bracket. Under the rules in place at that time, almost all of my additional income was taxed at the rate of 28% instead of 15%. (Plus, I had to pay the usual Illinois State income tax of 3% and Social Security/Medicare tax of 7.65%). It all adds up pretty quickly.

Example: For $10,000 of extra income earned, they kept $2,800 in Federal income tax (instead of the $1,500 they would have withheld if I had still been in the lower tax bracket). That is a difference of $1,300. They also taxed me 3% for Illinois State income tax ($300) and $765 for Social Security/Medicare tax. Thus, $10,000 in additional income was down to $6,135 in take home pay.

If the overtime causes you to travel to work on additional days or to eat more meals out or to consume more break time snacks from the vending machines--you can deduct even more money from your overtime. (An additional $5 -$10 of expenses per day can sneak up on you pretty fast and really cut into your "profit". Over 100 days, that is an additional $500-$1,000 in overtime-related expenses.)

It doesn't take long for $10,000 in additional "income" to become just $5,000 to $6,000 (or less).

BOTTOM LINE: Sometimes, working overtime isn't as profitable as you hope!

Here is a Federal Income Tax Calculator:
http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

You are from Minnesota. In MN, the State Income Tax rate is 5.35% on all taxable earnings up to $33,220. On taxable earnings between $33,221 and $75,000 you pay 7.05% in State Income tax.
Thanks for the tips and tools. That's certainly something I'll consider.

stranger
02-03-2010, 21:58
I think Trail Days is mucy more popular with those who've never been there before than than those who have.

Kinda like Pennsylvania, those who've never been there make such a big deal about the rocks, while those who have already been through know they're really no big deal. Trail Days is the same in my view, it's just a big party and although there are some cool aspects of it, I wouldn't recommend altering your schedule to attend it. The town is overrun, there is no lodging, sometimes the ATM runs out of money, etc...

I think the ALDHA Gathering is a far better event to attend for serious long distance hikers who have more interests than getting smashed and acting accordingly.

However, IF you choose to attend Trail Days, I would recommend you do not walk into town. Passing through Damascus 10 days on either side of Trail Days is a far better experience of the town than during Trail Days, plus you get to visit it twice, and it's really a nice little town.

On Direction...

I've never really heard of a bad sobo hike, most people who've undertook them seem to have had a very cool experience, without all the crowds of the south. I've gone nobo twice on long sections and the social aspect is one thing, but when you arrive in town and there are 17 hikers already in town and another 12 who come in behind you it can be a little much for some people's tastes.

On Money...

If I could raise $4000 or more (just for trail itself, not travel) I would go sobo, if not I would wait to I had more money, but this is your decision and you will decide what's right for you, it's good to get other people's views, but take them lightly as they won't be carrying your pack, you will.

Dogwood
02-03-2010, 23:52
WOW. Someone who is solution minded and has a game plan in play. You are ahead of the curve. I wish you all the best LB. Do be patient w/ your timing though. And, there are ramifications to going SOBO or starting later SOBO. Understand how that might be different than going NOBO during a typical starting window at the southern terminus.

I said it on another thread and I'll say it again here - have heard several thru-hikers state they were quitting their hikes because they ran out of money, NEVER heard a prospective thru-hiker say they were quitting because they had budgeted too much for a thru-hike!

Yes, although much smaller in scale, there is an AT SOBO culture.