PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Duo owners (additional guy lines necessary?)

EvKil
02-02-2010, 03:13
I haven't pitched our Lunar Duo in high winds as of yet and while there are two guy lines for the dual vestibules, wondering if additional guy lines are necessary to keep the Lunar Duo stable in high winds?

10-K
02-02-2010, 05:32
I haven't pitched our Lunar Duo in high winds as of yet and while there are two guy lines for the dual vestibules, wondering if additional guy lines are necessary to keep the Lunar Duo stable in high winds?

I've never used additional lines on my duo and it's been through some rough weather.

I also have a solo and if I'm using it I'll tie out additional lines on it but it's so I'll have more room in the tent, not for stability.

sbhikes
02-03-2010, 10:26
I have a lunar duo also, but have not pitched it in high winds. It does not appear to me that you would need more lines than the two that come off the vestibule ends and the other four around the corners. You can pitch the tent appropriate to the wind direction to improve the stability. That would be putting the head/foot ends into the wind (not the vestibule sides.) Also, pitch it shorter.

AZJ_Jerky
02-03-2010, 10:36
Hmmm, I always thought that doing the opposite and pitching the vestibule end into the wind would be the more aerodynamic shape and best in wind due to the way the vestibules would point into the wind as opposed to the flat foot and head ends being faced into the wind. Additionally, due to the guy line running the full length of the middle of the vestibule, it seems to me that these two ends have far less unsupported fabric than the foot or head ends. Both sides seem to be the same width and height from what I can tell, the only difference is how they are shaped and how much guyline support they have. Let me know if I'm looking at this wrong.