PDA

View Full Version : 2010 GA->ME Gear List... Please tear apart gently...

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 06:42
woot firefox crashed get to start over...

Alright, so I'm new to the forums, I figured I'd start out with a gear list for my 2010 northbound thru attempt. My cousin and I will be leaving springer beginning of march. Please feel free to comment and such. The weights are in metric because that's what my scale puts out, I've converted the total pack weight to pounds.

Shelter:
REI Half Dome 2 [w/ footprint] (2.5 kg)

Sleep System:
Mountain Hardware Switch [+20F Version] (1.75 kg)
Mountain Hardware Bag Expander (.28 kg)
Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest [Deluxe] (.75 kg)
Sea to Summit Reactor (.2 kg)

[B]Rucksack:
Osprey Atmos [65L] (1.6 kg)
Osprey Raincover (.1 kg)

Hydration System:
Camelbak Unbottle [2L bladder] (.35 kg)
x2 Camelbak Better Bottle [1L bottle] (.3 kg for both)
Steripen Classic [w/ prefilter & 1L Nalgene dirty bottle] (.45 kg)

Stove:
MSR Reactor [w/ 2 fuel canisters] (.57kg)

Clothing *HAVEN'T WEIGHED THIS STUFF YET, GUESSING 1.5 kg*:
1x nylon outer pants
2x wicking long underwear
1x nylon blend long sleeve outer shirt
2x wicking long undershirt
2x wicking liner socks
1x wool hiking socks
1x USAF standard issue jungle boots
1x fleece jacket

Protection from Elements:
? haven't figured this out yet

Total so far w/out food and water:
10.35 kg/22.8 lbs

Total with average water (3L) and food (4 days)
16.5 kg/36.4 lbs

Total with maximum water (5L) and food (7 days):
20.9 kg/46.1 lbs*

*I would never carry full water and food unless beginning a long stretch without resupply options.

Thoughts? Opinions?

My cousin is still piecing together his gear but so far he has:

REI Flash 50 Pack (hand me down from me)
Jetboil PCS (hand me down from me)
Platty 2L bladder + Platty 1L "bottle" (hand me down from me)

Any suggestions for what he should do to round out? We're going to share the tent since it has two nice big vestibules for gear. I'm thinking he gets to carry most of the food :-)

- Evan

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 06:48
1x nylon outer pants
2x wicking liner socks
1x wool hiking socks
1x fleece jacket

Forgot a couple things: pair of flip-flops for camp/town, as well as a cotton t-shirt and pair of cotton pajama pants to wear while doing laundry

Oh, and the plan at this point is to send stuff home as it gets too warm and replace with new items purchased on the trail. When we get back to colder weather, old stuff comes back via mail drop and new stuff goes home. I do like the idea of holding on to the long sleeves and pants until the last minute though, depending on how hot it gets. Really helps with the bugs.

- Evan

Doooglas
02-02-2010, 07:11
Well. You chose a real good pack and you're only 24.
Unless you're 5 foot 2, 120 lbs., or 320 lbs, I don't see any problem.

Get a poncho that covers the pack too. Its faster and lighter than screwing around with a jacket, pants and the pack cover. You don't even have to quit moving. Snatch it out and toss it on.
Stephensens warmlite will make it custom to your measurements.

Grab some kind of non goretex weather/wind jacket.
This one's 4 oz http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID1512

DAKS
02-02-2010, 07:12
it looks like you have plenty of base layers in yer' clothing, but you are gonna' need a good insulationg layer. something like a down or synthetic jacket. also, when it comes to your socks, does this list account for a dry pair to sleep in?

:welcomeforgot to put that little guy at the beginning! good luck!

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 07:18
Well. You chose a real good pack and you're only 24.
Unless you're 5 foot 2, 120 lbs., or 320 lbs, I don't see any problem.

Get a poncho that covers the pack too. Its faster and lighter than screwing around with a jacket, pants and the pack cover. You don't even have to quit moving. Snatch it out and toss it on.
Stephensens warmlite will make it custom to your measurements.

Grab some kind of non goretex weather/wind jacket.
This one's 4 oz http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID1512

Thanks,

The poncho is a great idea I never thought of that. Saves on the raincover for the pack, and i'd imagine i can set it over the pack in the vestibule if it's raining as well. Very good idea.

I like that Jacket, I might pick up a pair for us as well.

- Evan

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 07:20
it looks like you have plenty of base layers in yer' clothing, but you are gonna' need a good insulationg layer. something like a down or synthetic jacket. also, when it comes to your socks, does this list account for a dry pair to sleep in?

:welcomeforgot to put that little guy at the beginning! good luck!

Yeah, as far as socks go, the numbers I listed aren't right, as they don't account for the socks i'd be wearing on the way in.. so 3 pairs of liners and 2 pairs of wool over socks. I remembered to add in the underwear i'd be wearing, but forgot about the socks.. lol

- Evan

tintin
02-02-2010, 07:30
I was really temped to go with my USAF jungle boots. They are really comfortable and I didn't get a single blister when wearing them in the jungle last year. I just love them so much - I don't want to ruin them so leaving them at home! Good choice I reckon and they provide excellent ankle support too (as I'm sure you are more than aware).

I echo the comments on the spare socks for night. I camped out in snow on the weekend and was only cold because I couldn't get my feet warm. I've just bought some thermal socks for the evenings for this reason.

I think you may get some comments about the weight of your tent, but I think some people on here forget to factor the mental weight we carry. The peace of mind you get from having kit that you like and makes you comfortable probably counters the extra weight you have to physically carry.

I'm bringing a waterproof rucksack liner. It weighs 360g, but I will never have to worry about any of my stuff getting wet. That peace of mind is more than worth the extra weight.

Best of luck mate with whatever you bring and maybe see you on the trail!

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 08:08
I was really temped to go with my USAF jungle boots. They are really comfortable and I didn't get a single blister when wearing them in the jungle last year. I just love them so much - I don't want to ruin them so leaving them at home! Good choice I reckon and they provide excellent ankle support too (as I'm sure you are more than aware).

Somehow I ended up with two really nice pairs when I finally left the AF. If I only had one pair, there's no way I'd be taking them ;-)

I think you may get some comments about the weight of your tent, but I think some people on here forget to factor the mental weight we carry. The peace of mind you get from having kit that you like and makes you comfortable probably counters the extra weight you have to physically carry.

I thought about that, and I'd really like to get a setup in the 3lb range. However, the tent is one of the few pieces of kit I already had, and I'm going to have to buy the cousin quite a bit so I'm strapped for cash. He's 21 and unemployed at the moment so when I suggested he come with me he was very enthusiastic about going. He's fit and an avid hiker so I have no doubts we'll finish. But as far as gear that will hold up to the AT he's got jack. Other than my hand-me-downs I've spec'd a nice 20F mummy on closeout at REI, and a sleeping pad. So that gives him a nice-ish pack, decent bag and pad, cooking setup of his own (jetboil), and 3L of water (plattys). My old pack was only 50L but he doesn't have to carry a tent, so I think it'll work out. Clothes and food he's on his own with.

But anyways, long story short I can't afford a tent atm. BUT i will say that i REALLY like the half dome 2. Its dry, its warm, i've never once been worried about wind or snow in it. Pitches fast and can be staked for stability. and it's big enough for two 6'+ guys as long as we keep our packs in the vestibules (it has two). It's been a 100% rock soild tent.

I'm bringing a waterproof rucksack liner. It weighs 360g, but I will never have to worry about any of my stuff getting wet. That peace of mind is more than worth the extra weight.

I thought about that, haven't found one I liked yet. for the most part I stay away from down for the water factor, so I was thinking I might just do two or three waterproof stuff sacks for the important stuff, bag, clothes, electronics. the thing about the Atmos is the sleeping bag has its own compartment so one big liner wouldn't work 100% and the sleeping bag is the biggest thing you don't want wet. Lots to think about there, for sure.

Best of luck mate with whatever you bring and maybe see you on the trail!

Thanks!

- Evan

Doooglas
02-02-2010, 08:12
Get a few granite gear compression stuff sacks so you can compact and protect your clothing. It leaves more room for beer.

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 08:20
Get a few granite gear compression stuff sacks so you can compact and protect your clothing. It leaves more room for beer.

I'll drink to that. And for that advice, if I run into you on the trail you'll drink to that on me.

- Evan

DAKS
02-02-2010, 08:26
your right about that tent. it is pretty bomb proof and sets up rather quickly/easily. the two of you can always split it up so one carries the poles and rain fly while the other carries the tent and footprint stakes etc. just be sure you don't get separated out there in inclement weather!!!

waterproof compression bags are nice and indeed work. however, if you are on a budget check into glad trash compactor bags. i use one to line my pack and then stuff everything down inside. i then gather the remainder at the top and twist it and then tuck it down inside. couple that with a pack cover or poncho and you should be good to go. i've been using the same compactor bag for about two years and have never had a problem with my gear getting wet!!!

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 08:36
your right about that tent. it is pretty bomb proof and sets up rather quickly/easily. the two of you can always split it up so one carries the poles and rain fly while the other carries the tent and footprint stakes etc. just be sure you don't get separated out there in inclement weather!!!

It was the first piece of 'nice' kit i bought. I've had it for a while now (year or so) and it has about 30 nights on it. best $200 I ever spent.

waterproof compression bags are nice and indeed work. however, if you are on a budget check into glad trash compactor bags. i use one to line my pack and then stuff everything down inside. i then gather the remainder at the top and twist it and then tuck it down inside. couple that with a pack cover or poncho and you should be good to go. i've been using the same compactor bag for about two years and have never had a problem with my gear getting wet!!!

That's a really good idea too. I use those glad bags a waterproof 'waders' whenever I have to go under the house and it's muddy down there. If a bag can stand up to being between my shoe and the clay without tearing, you know it's bomber. and they're uber cheap.

Anyone have any suggestions for storing food for two in a bear/mouse/raccoon safe manner?

- Evan

DAKS
02-02-2010, 08:42
for food storage, go to walmart and look in the camping section. there is a set of three compression bags that cost about 10 bucks. i would recommend that you each carry a food bag rather than one large bag. then get some para cord or some kelty trip tease and learn how to hang yer' food utilizing the PCT method. search PCT method here on WB.

sparky2000
02-02-2010, 09:11
That's an interesting arguement about weight versus mental comfort. The "kitchen sink" is comfortable idealism doesn't last very long - usually until Uncle Johnny's in Erwin, Tn and then the knees, ankles, and attitude have all fallen by the wayside.

Mountain Wildman
02-02-2010, 09:49
The wind jacket is nice but you can go with a rain jacket which should also work well as a wind blocker, REI Outlet has Marmot Precip on closeout for 69.93 Xl, XXl
http://www.rei.com/product/793657

or if you need a size smaller than XL, Backcountry Edge has some smalls and large available in O.R. Rampart for 49.95
http://www.backcountryedge.com/outdoor_research-rampart-jacket.aspx?utm_source=ShoppingCom&utm_medium=cpc

Snowleopard
02-02-2010, 10:31
That Integral Designs Pertex wind shirt is really nice, BUT it's not waterproof -- it'll soak through in any heavy rain.

You'll need:
Insulation: If money is short, you both need insulation more than a nice wind shirt. If money is really tight, go to Salvation Army/Goodwill/your closets or discount stores and get several layers of fleece or wool. If you have money, get a puffy down or synthetic jacket
Rain gear: For cheap, Frogg Toggs or Dry Ducks http://www.froggtoggsoutlet.com/?gclid=CI7ThPjt058CFRE55Qod_jL6bw $18, they're a little delicate, so bring duct tape. For the White Mountains in NH, a poncho is pretty marginal (too much wind). For $$, get goretex.
Warm hat and mittens for March and for the White Mountains.

I don't like the MSR Reactor stove because it puts out lots of carbon monoxide. Don't even think about using it in a tent.

Try it all out in the back yard on a night when the temps are what you expect in the mountains at the beginning of your hike.

Mountain Wildman
02-02-2010, 10:38
Oh Yes,
The White Mountains are no joke!!
I am in the middle of them and it's 10 degrees right now, Thank God it has warmed up!!
The other day was 8 below zero.
BRRRRRR :-)

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 15:25
Oh Yes,
The White Mountains are no joke!!
I am in the middle of them and it's 10 degrees right now, Thank God it has warmed up!!
The other day was 8 below zero.
BRRRRRR :-)

Good god! I hope it warms up there for the summer when I pass through.

I'm from north west Indiana (Chicago Suburbs) so I'm used to massive snow (lake effect) but because of all the water it rarely goes below the single digits. I think I've seen below 0F temps once in my whole life, and only for a day.

- Evan

P.S. best of luck keeping warm!

Mountain Wildman
02-02-2010, 15:29
It starts to warm up towards the end of May and is usually tolerable in June.
July and August are of course the warmest months and we could even see 80 to 90 degrees. But that would be if the rest of the country is having a heatwave.

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 15:35
If you have money, get a puffy down or synthetic jacket

I was planning on taking an actual jacket I have for normal use. Its SWAG from my mother's work (redbox) and it's actually really nice. Zippable waterproof nylon outer shell and inner shell with Polar Guard insulation and a fleece lining. It's made by North Face and my favorite coat ever. Also very light. And free.

Rain gear: For cheap, Frogg Toggs or Dry Ducks http://www.froggtoggsoutlet.com/?gclid=CI7ThPjt058CFRE55Qod_jL6bw $18, they're a little delicate, so bring duct tape. For the White Mountains in NH, a poncho is pretty marginal (too much wind).

I looked at those the other day, I wasn't sure how they'd hold up. I wasn't really even sure if they were waterproof ;-). If i bought a few pairs and spread out in the mail drops you think that would be alright? I certianly don't want to shell out for gortex.

I don't like the MSR Reactor stove because it puts out lots of carbon monoxide. Don't even think about using it in a tent.

Agreed, but I got it for Christmas. Supposedly it does better when you burn snowpeak canisters, so that's what I'm planning on. At any rate it certianly will let out less CO than an alcohol or esbit stove. I have been building a coiled copper pipe alcohol stove, and it's very nice. If I can rig up a nice windscreen and pot stand for it, it's coming on a field test next week in southern indiana. If it works well in the cold I'm going to ditch the reactor and take the alcohol stove. MUCH easier to find fuel

- Evan

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 15:41
That's an interesting arguement about weight versus mental comfort. The "kitchen sink" is comfortable idealism doesn't last very long - usually until Uncle Johnny's in Erwin, Tn and then the knees, ankles, and attitude have all fallen by the wayside.

I tend to agree, in principle, to that statement.

But as tents for TWO people go, I think 5 lbs is reasonable. I'm personally not comfortable with the tent and tarp for lots and lots of reasons, not the least of which include having no "seal" between the ticks and other crawlies that live in the leaves on the forest floor. Sure I could save 2 lb by going with something really minimalist, or I could make the cousin carry the poles and fly :-).

Powder River
02-02-2010, 20:33
Ditch the combat boots for a pair of trail runners, the liner socks for two pairs of wool hiking socks (3 total) and pick up a trash compactor bag (like a garbage bag, only indestructible) to line your pack with. If the bottom compartment of your Atmos has a zip-out to combine the two compartments, then unzip it. You'll just have one big compartment that will pack better.

Some things you might want to think about once you start:

1. Check out other people's stoves, especially the alcohol stoves. The MSR Reactor is one of the heaviest stoves out there, and you could mail it home and pick up a super alcohol stove for next to nothing.

2. Check out other people's water systems. Many use aqua mira or tablets, which is extremely light. I think the Steripen requires a wide mouth bottle so you also need to carry a heavy bottle. If you trade the steripen and camelbak better bottles for 2 gatorade bottles and aqua mira, you'll probably save around a pound.

3. Don't feel like you have to listen to anyone here, including what I just wrote. Bring whatever you want and have fun. You'll figure out for yourself what works and whether you need to drop weight or not. This forum can be an incredible source for great ideas though.

Good luck to you!

evan.oliver
02-03-2010, 10:54
Ditch the combat boots for a pair of trail runners

I wish! Unfortunately I have decently weak ankles, so I need the extra support... if only it didn't come with the extra weight lol...

If the bottom compartment of your Atmos has a zip-out to combine the two compartments, then unzip it. You'll just have one big compartment that will pack better.

It does, but, I like the idea of being able to get my bag out if I don't want to unpack entirely (e.g. staying at a shelter but not setting up the tent). Like many things that may change though as I get out there.

1. Check out other people's stoves, especially the alcohol stoves. The MSR Reactor is one of the heaviest stoves out there, and you could mail it home and pick up a super alcohol stove for next to nothing.

I'm playing with the alcohol stoves at home, so far I've made a copper pipe coil stove, and two can stoves. They work, but, I find the whole solution somewhat lacking. I also have a jet boil that's lighter so thats an option, but so far I haven't gotten an alcohol stove that I'm really happy with.

2. Check out other people's water systems. Many use aqua mira or tablets, which is extremely light. I think the Steripen requires a wide mouth bottle so you also need to carry a heavy bottle. If you trade the steripen and camelbak better bottles for 2 gatorade bottles and aqua mira, you'll probably save around a pound.

I don't react well to CLO2 and even worse to iodine. Leaves filters and steripen, figured I'd try the steripen and see how it goes. I got it for like 79 bucks w/ the prefilter.

3. Don't feel like you have to listen to anyone here, including what I just wrote. Bring whatever you want and have fun. You'll figure out for yourself what works and whether you need to drop weight or not. This forum can be an incredible source for great ideas though.

I wouldn't be here if I weren't prepared to listen to the advice I was getting. I'm sure a lot of people are looking to show off or what not but I'm somewhat new at this, and have never been out east to hike. So I'm here to learn and make adjustments as needed.

Good luck to you!

Thanks!

- Evan

JustaTouron
02-03-2010, 11:21
I agree that in general the rule of thumb of "the heavier the pack the more comfortable to camp, the lighter the pack the comfortable to hike."

It is not so black and white.

My backpack feels ligher if I am hiking after getting a good night's sleep of 7 hours than if I am hiking on 3 hours of sleep. And if the difference between the two is an extra half pound sleeping bag so I am warm and an extra 4 oz of sleeping pad so I don't feel the rocks under me will feel lighter on the second day an on than the pack that is in fact lighter.

Same deal if I am dehydrated. An extra liter of water weigh something extra in my bag at the start of the hike, but on hot day makes the last few miles seem a lot lighter than if I was parched.

Ditto on food. An extra half pound of food can be the difference between hiking with lots of energy or being sluggish.

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 12:06
woot firefox crashed get to start over...

Alright, so I'm new to the forums, I figured I'd start out with a gear list for my 2010 northbound thru attempt. My cousin and I will be leaving springer beginning of march. Please feel free to comment and such. The weights are in metric because that's what my scale puts out, I've converted the total pack weight to pounds.

Shelter:
REI Half Dome 2 [w/ footprint] (2.5 kg)

Sleep System:
Mountain Hardware Switch [+20F Version] (1.75 kg)
Mountain Hardware Bag Expander (.28 kg)
Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest [Deluxe] (.75 kg)
Sea to Summit Reactor (.2 kg)

[B]Rucksack:
Osprey Atmos [65L] (1.6 kg)
Osprey Raincover (.1 kg)

Hydration System:
Camelbak Unbottle [2L bladder] (.35 kg)
x2 Camelbak Better Bottle [1L bottle] (.3 kg for both)
Steripen Classic [w/ prefilter & 1L Nalgene dirty bottle] (.45 kg)

Stove:
MSR Reactor [w/ 2 fuel canisters] (.57kg)

1x nylon outer pants
2x wicking liner socks
1x wool hiking socks
1x fleece jacket

Total so far w/out food and water:
10.35 kg/22.8 lbs

Total with average water (3L) and food (4 days)
16.5 kg/36.4 lbs

Total with maximum water (5L) and food (7 days):
20.9 kg/46.1 lbs*

*I would never carry full water and food unless beginning a long stretch without resupply options.

Thoughts? Opinions?

My cousin is still piecing together his gear but so far he has:

REI Flash 50 Pack (hand me down from me)
Jetboil PCS (hand me down from me)
Platty 2L bladder + Platty 1L "bottle" (hand me down from me)

I'm responding without reading the other responses first, so I don't forgot anything. (Just to let you know, so sorry if I'm a bit repetative). Keep in mind, these are just things I'm bringing, not only what everyone considers essential.

Med kit? Bandaids, ibuprofin, some recommend immodium, couple benadryl, tweezers (for the ticks in PA), maybe a small bottle of hand sanitizer?

Cooking things? Spork/ fork/ spoon, knife, pot, mug?
Knife? (Not just for cooking)
Camera?
Maps/ guidebook?

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 12:23
I thought about that, haven't found one I liked yet. for the most part I stay away from down for the water factor, so I was thinking I might just do two or three waterproof stuff sacks for the important stuff, bag, clothes, electronics. the thing about the Atmos is the sleeping bag has its own compartment so one big liner wouldn't work 100% and the sleeping bag is the biggest thing you don't want wet. Lots to think about there, for sure.

For compression sacks, I use Outdoor Research HydroSeal DryComp sacks. Totally waterproof- used for kayaking, dropping in rivers, etc... I always use one of these for my down sleeping bag, and may be using one for my clothing as well (that, or granite gear), but apart from that, I just use lots and lots of ziploc bags and a sea to summit drysack for my food bag. And maybe a trash contracter/compacter bag to line my pack as well- I LOVE dry gear.

That's a really good idea too. I use those glad bags a waterproof 'waders' whenever I have to go under the house and it's muddy down there. If a bag can stand up to being between my shoe and the clay without tearing, you know it's bomber. and they're uber cheap.

Anyone have any suggestions for storing food for two in a bear/mouse/raccoon safe manner?

I use the sea to summit bag to keep food dry, and hang it either from the rafters of the shelters (in non bear country), or from a tree when I'm in bear country or not near a shelter. Just get a strong, waterproof sack (not a trash bag- fodd for five days and two people will tear it right away) and some strong "rope", like p-cord. Just tie the cord around the mouth of the bag, and hoist it up in a tree, and you're set. In some areas, I don't raise the bag too high, but try to squirrel-proof it.

All this being said, you'll figure it out. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Worse comes to worse, the outfitter at the Walasi-Yi is right on the trail, and is 3-5 days from Springer, so if you need something else, you can always get it there.

Good luck! See you on the trail.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-03-2010, 12:28
buy some good trail runners with event or goretex lining and forget the boots they weigh too much and after about 2100 miles you will appreciate the weight savings also you wont need 2 pair of long underwear/shirts add a pair of merino socks- and I hike in zip offs and will add rainpants if it gets cold I keep my merino wool baelayers for sleeping when it gets cold good choice on the steri pen I have used on for years they can eat batteries so take aqua pur as a back up get some decent lite weight rain gear precip pants and jackets by marmot are fairly inexpensive add a fleece hat and windproof gloves and a lite weight down jacket-patagonia/montbell that you can layer under a rainjacket and clothing wise i think you will be ok march in ga will be cold with some days below freezing and always there is a possibility of snow so be prepared good luck and have a blast on your hike luck on your upcoming hike

Hillbilly

Panzer1
02-03-2010, 13:07
I would add compass, maps and guide book.

Also, a cup to drink out of.
25 or 50 feet of rope/string to hang food bag and for other uses.

Panzer

Snowleopard
02-03-2010, 13:25
Puffy insulation jacket:

I was planning on taking an actual jacket I have for normal use. Its SWAG from my mother's work (redbox) and it's actually really nice. Zippable waterproof nylon outer shell and inner shell with Polar Guard insulation and a fleece lining. It's made by North Face and my favorite coat ever. Also very light. And free.
That's probably good for insulation. If the outer shell is really waterproof, you're set for rain. Try the shell out at home to see how waterproof it is (in the shower). It's probably goretex or some other water proof breathable material. See if water beads up on it or spreads out. If it doesn't bead up, the DWR (water repellent treatment) needs to be renewed -- rinse out thoroughly to be sure no soap residue on it; run thru dryer (heat renews DWR), if it still doesn't bead up buy a water repellency treatment.
Maybe get some waterproof rainpants.

Frogg toggs and Dri Ducks:

I looked at those the other day, I wasn't sure how they'd hold up. I wasn't really even sure if they were waterproof ;-). If i bought a few pairs and spread out in the mail drops you think that would be alright? I certianly don't want to shell out for gortex.
They would be terrible for bushwhacking through dense brush, but probably fine on the AT. People seem to have had more trouble with the pants splitting than with the jackets. It depends on how careful you are.

Agreed, but I got it for Christmas. Supposedly it does better when you burn snowpeak canisters, so that's what I'm planning on. At any rate it certianly will let out less CO than an alcohol or esbit stove. I have been building a coiled copper pipe alcohol stove, and it's very nice. If I can rig up a nice windscreen and pot stand for it, it's coming on a field test next week in southern indiana. If it works well in the cold I'm going to ditch the reactor and take the alcohol stove. MUCH easier to find fuel

- Evan
Use the reactor, but only outside. If you have success with the alky stoves, use one of those. The heat exchanger pots, like the reactor has, are really nice if a little heavy. I have another brand and will always use it in winter.

It sounds like you're reasonably set up -- you'll be fine. Have fun!