PDA

View Full Version : The new Thru-hiker's Manual for the MST

Taba
02-02-2010, 07:59
This is the second edition of the Thru-Hiker's Manual. With 2 versions out for this year. I wrote the guidebook for both direction of this 900+ mile trail. I have thru-hiked the Mountains-to-Sea Trail 3 times in 2 years to gather the information for these books. It is a 100 page book with all the directions, water sources, camping locations, view pioints, resupply and medical facilities. One of the issues with this adventure is legal camping along the trail. My first book was printed with a page that taught hikers how to "Creative camp" which is for the most part illegal to do. That was intentional to cause some controversy about this subject. I figure the only way to fix a problem is to let people know that there is a problem. My goal for the 2009 hike was to fix the camping issue. I placed a flyer on 125 churches that the trail passes askng the pastors for permission for all hikers on the MST to camp and get water. 19 churches so far and six private citizens and store owners have agreed to help and therefore my goal was achieved for the road section of this trail. I have taken out the page outlining the rules of illegal camping and the sites they referenced. I drew town maps of 13 towns to help aid the hikers when they get into town to know exactly where all of their resupply points are. I also hand drew a state map of North Carolina with color pencil to outline where the trail crosses the state. That maps is on the back cover of the book. This has been a one man project since the beginning. I have hiked the trail, written the books, edited, drew maps, printed, stapled, folded, promoted, and sold over 175 copies of last years version, along with all the other work I had to do to fix the camping issue. I just finished the new editions and have sent them off with a friend to print 60 copies, 10 of which are already sold. My goal this year is 1,000 copies. I am a hard one to impress now-a-days but I have accomplished impressing myself with this years version. I think that it looks very professional and will help every hiker that uses it. I wanted to take all of the stress of of the trail as far as where it goes and what resources are around and available. I did that!

This is the first guidebook that I have written. I will be writing another one while I hike the Sheltowee Trace trail in Kentucky in April. That guidebook is scheduled to be released in July 2010. I am a career light-weight traveler and have decided to use my knowledge and experience to help the hiking culture grow by writing these guidebooks for the lesser known trails. This helps the trail organizations and the economy in the states that the trails run through. On average, hikers spend $100 in every town they go into. They spend that money on hotels, restaurants, groceries, laundry, and maybe a six pack of beer to celebrate with their friends. The MST has about 30 towns. If 100 hikers a year thru-hike this trail that brings in $300,000 to NC every year. My intention is to pick 1 trail in every state that is no less than 250 miles and write the guidebooks for them. I am off to a good start. In 2008, I was the only hiker to finish the MST. In 2009, 5 people finished not including my roundtrip which equals 2 thru-hikes in a single year. I see a great future in what I am doing and will continue on this path until I physically can't walk anymore. After that I have plenty of stories to transcribe into adventure books.

To check out the cover and contents of the new "Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" visit my website at:

www.Thru-hiker.us (http://www.Thru-hiker.us)

This is a wonderful journey and and amazing adventure. I hope that many will get to experience the MST.

Scot "Taba" Ward