PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Designs Hurricane Jacket

Sailor (The other one)
02-02-2010, 09:43
Anyone have any experience with this rain jacket? I'm looking to buy two inexpensive rain jackets or ponchos to use until we can save enough pennies to get what we really want (MH Quarks) and I've found these at a great price ($15.83 for XL and XXL here: http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/sierra_designs_hurricane_jacket_mens.html).
I just need something for trail walking but that can handle the heavy downpours we get in Florida. Dri Ducks are much too fragile for Mudpie (chain mail is much too fragile for Mudpie).
Thanks.

Mountain Wildman
02-02-2010, 10:49
It has gotten a lot of good reviews on Buzzillions.com and a few bad.
Cheaper Here if you wear XL or 2XL:http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/sierra-designs-hurricane-waterproof-jacket-royal-blue.aspx?a=411839
Listed cheaper on a few sites:http://www.thefind.com/search?query=Sierra+Designs+Hurricane+Jacket+-+Men%27s#page=1&filter[sortby]=price_asc

Just Dan
02-02-2010, 12:26
i used it for a 2 or so months. It would wet out every once in a while, and water soaked in at a few points (cuffs especially). overall, not a great a jacket for what i paid for it (around 60), but 15 dollars might be okay. i did used it alot, so that might have caused the dwr to wear out prematurely.

AeroGuyDC
02-02-2010, 16:06
i used it for a 2 or so months. It would wet out every once in a while, and water soaked in at a few points (cuffs especially). overall, not a great a jacket for what i paid for it (around 60), but 15 dollars might be okay. i did used it alot, so that might have caused the dwr to wear out prematurely.

I've never used the SD Hurricane, but while at REI the other day I did take a close look and I couldn't get past the "water-repellant" language in the description on the tag. It just seemed to me that SD would have prominently placed "Waterproof" instead of "Water Repellant," although I will say that in the fine print id listed the waterproof capability in numerical terms. Something like 1000 something or another, whatever that means. It may be a good rain jacket, but I was put off by the tag language.

(Maybe i'm just odd though)

Mountain Wildman
02-02-2010, 16:39
REI Outlet has the Marmot Precip Jacket for 69.93 in XL and XXL plus 8.99 Shipping.
http://www.rei.com/product/793657
Mine was delivered today in Skyline Blue Color and it is nice!!!
Says Waterproof on all tags and on REI Outlet site.

Roland
02-02-2010, 16:44
I bought the SD Hurricane from Steep&Cheap a few years ago, primarily because of price.

The jacket is well constructed. It has taped seams, storm flaps over the zipper and pockets, adjustable elastic cuffs and a draw waist. The hood is functional; not so large that you have to wear a helmet to keep the visor out of your eyes.

For the price, it's a good buy, but don't expect space age materials. This jacket uses old technology, similar rain jackets you could buy in the 70s. The PU coating provides good weather protection, but does not allow the garment to breathe. That makes it OK for low intensity activities but when hiking with a pack, you're likely to get as wet from sweat as you are from the rain, with this jacket.

Use it around town. Buy something more technical if breathe-ability is a priority.

gohawks
02-02-2010, 17:41
Mine wetted out after literally a few hours of use. Not recommended.

Sailor (The other one)
02-02-2010, 20:14
Thanks everyone. Can't afford much more than $15-$20 each right now, but wetting out is our main concern. The other rain gear we've used (A Columbia jacket, an old DWR jacket we tried to revive with Grangers and two mil-spec silicon/rip stop ponchos) wet out in heavy rain. The jackets wet out in a cold hard rain in the wind on the AT in Georgia last October and even hiking with our packs on we couldn't get warm. I'd hoped that the pit zips on the SDs would help if the breathability was poor, which I'd expect, but perhaps not.
There seem to be two SD Hurricane jackets. Just the plain Hurricane at 13.5 oz (the one I'm considering and the one on the SD site) and the Hurricane HP at 7 oz, which is the one on the REI site.
Might just do it anyway to have something so we can get out. I'd like to try Dri Ducks, since I understand they can be easily patched with duct tape, but like I said, my wife Mudpie would tear hers up real quick.

gohawks
02-02-2010, 20:36
I just realized I had the cylcone and NOT the Hurricane. Not sure in the differences in technology, but needless to say it didn't pass muster. Sierra Designs customer service just told me to but revivex and treat it. I thought that was rather weak based on the fact I had literally worn the jacket a few hours before it lost its DWR protection.

Wags
02-02-2010, 21:09
i tried one on at cabelas this past summer and the zipper broke. not got stuck, but broke. i put it right back in the bin

DapperD
02-02-2010, 22:45
Thanks everyone. Can't afford much more than $15-$20 each right now, but wetting out is our main concern. The other rain gear we've used (A Columbia jacket, an old DWR jacket we tried to revive with Grangers and two mil-spec silicon/rip stop ponchos) wet out in heavy rain. The jackets wet out in a cold hard rain in the wind on the AT in Georgia last October and even hiking with our packs on we couldn't get warm. I'd hoped that the pit zips on the SDs would help if the breathability was poor, which I'd expect, but perhaps not.
There seem to be two SD Hurricane jackets. Just the plain Hurricane at 13.5 oz (the one I'm considering and the one on the SD site) and the Hurricane HP at 7 oz, which is the one on the REI site.
Might just do it anyway to have something so we can get out. I'd like to try Dri Ducks, since I understand they can be easily patched with duct tape, but like I said, my wife Mudpie would tear hers up real quick.I purchased the Sierra Designs Hurricane PARKA awhile back, along with the Hurricane pants. Both are well constructed, I believe are waterproof and breathable, however I have not used them yet and can not give an actual review of them as I was planning on using them (and saving them for) a thru-hike attempt, which I have not yet done. I believe possibly these are being phased out for the new jackets, but I did see Campsaver still has some of these, however they are asking $60. They seem to be sized small, but I believe the parka may be made to a higher degree of quality, as one review of the parka I saw was very positive, and a review of the jacket which I saw was not.:-?

flemdawg1
02-03-2010, 00:22
I bought one about 7 months ago. It worked pretty well for me so far.