PDA

View Full Version : A Techtard needs help with new Droid

DrRichardCranium
02-02-2010, 11:06
Hi, I just got my first smartphone, a Droid (on the Verizon network).

I'm planning on a thru-hike starting late March. I would like to be able to keep my Droid in Airplane Mode to save batteries. But I would like to be able to write notes every evening, then when I get to a town (or anywhere there is electricity) I could switch back to Regular Mode & get online & post the notes to TrailJournals.

I found one application called AK Notes. Is that the best way to do this? Is there another application that is better for writing & storing notes while OFFLINE?

Powder River
02-02-2010, 12:30
Just use email. The messages will wait in the outbox until you get a signal, and then go out automatically.

If you use postholer.com, you can actually post via email. If you are using trailjournals, then you could still copy and past out of the sent items box, plus the email would preserve a copy in case anything happened.

white_russian
02-02-2010, 13:03
You can just turn on the radio in the evening for a minute and send it. That will not use much power at all for just a few minutes.

SurferNerd
02-02-2010, 13:32
Welcome to the DROID world. From my March1 upcoming thruhike, I've decided on the following apps.

AK Notepad; great app for note taking $Free

ICE:In case of Emergency; works from the lock screen and contains any medical info that someone would need to know, highly recommended $2.99

Blogaway; works only with Blogger, no trail journal. But has GPS tag of blog, picture upload, and can save the blogs offline until signal is obtained. $Free

Advanced Task Killer Full; unlike the free model, it allows us to set a timer where every X it kills all background apps. Trust me, on the DROID, the apps always start up whether you want them to or not. $4.99

Temp Monitor; available if you PM me. Our phones have a built in temperature sensor that is useful for determining whether the phone is overheating or its too cold.

Google Sky Maps; $Free, GREAT for stargazing and identification, so cool at night.

Astro File Manager; $Free, allows for a Windows Explorer of the phone. Great for moving pictures, notes, items around.

GPS Status; $Free, works without phone signal, this app gives us GPS based elevation, LAT&LON, Compass, and Location to GPS Sats.

Google Maps, Feature; open the settings, go to labs, check box everything. Now go to layers, enable terrain, tada!

Thru Hiker Companion, available free as PDF from ALDHA. You can have the complete companion on your phone.

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you. I'm designing an app for android, and I'm an active member over at alldroid.org with modding our phones.

DrRichardCranium
02-02-2010, 14:33
What is your strategy going to be for conserving/restoring battery life?

Are you going to bring one of those battery-powered chargers? Or a solar charger?

SurferNerd
02-02-2010, 15:09
What is your strategy going to be for conserving/restoring battery life?

Are you going to bring one of those battery-powered chargers? Or a solar charger?

Battery Life.. well....
1. Leave it OFF unless using it.
2. Take off auto backlight, drop to lowest setting (if you get in touch me and root your phone, we can drop the backlight to almost nothing)
3. Purchase app killer full, enable crazy kill every 1/2hr.
4. Turn off sync, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth via Power Control Widget (when not used)
5. Keep battery warmer than 70*F to perform at optimum length.

Battery Charging, 2 ways.
1. Bringing OEM Moto Charge Brick and a shortened 6inch MicroUSB cable. You can find them on Amazon for cheap.
2. Hand Crank Charger with MicroUSB tip. Weighs 4.2oz, got mine from Amazon. From my testing, works great as long as battery isn't deader than a doorknob. It will juice a call at a ratio of 3crank minutes:1call minutes.

Solar..great if you on the PCT, or CDT in the desert, but on the "Tree Tunnel Trail" (AT) its complete crap. I know two thru hikers who sent them home. I tried a wind powered one for a week, works great on bike handlebars, crap on hiking. Stick to something you know works, your hands.

BrianLe
02-02-2010, 15:44
I don't know the droid at all, but in terms of battery stuff, I used a solar charger on the PCT but agree and will leave it home this trip. What I did instead was looked at after-market assessories for my device and found extended capacity batteries. These actually bulge out of the phone and so include a replacement backplate. My idea is that when I am able to recharge from wall current, I'll get more charge, to include carrying one or two spare (extended capacity) batteries.

I briefly tried one of those hand-crank units and realized there was no way I would use one except for some sort of real emergency; IMO they (at least the one I saw) are not for normal recharge situations.

I also tried one of the energizer units that you put two lithium AA batteries into and it delivers charge to your phone. Not too heavy, but I suggest that if this approach interests you that you absolutely test it out at home first. I found that it gave *some* charge to my phone, but not very much and not very fast, and seemingly not even very consistently, so I bagged that idea. Perhaps for your particular phone it might work fine, however.

DrRichardCranium
02-02-2010, 16:04
According to this thread, the "app-killer" really doesn't help much because the apps are apparently not using up any juice unless they are actively being used:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/1480-please-read-do-not-worry-about-apps-running-background.html

DrRichardCranium
02-02-2010, 16:06
Obviously though wi-fi, gps, maps, bluetooth will eat up juice of course. But can't you just turn all those off with the Widget thingy?

SurferNerd
02-02-2010, 16:13
Post Deleted

DrRichardCranium
02-02-2010, 16:33
Using RAM in any amount is wasting resources, therefore battery. .
OK but in that thread there is a Droid developer (claims to be one, anyway) who says that the Droid OS automatically shuts down all those unused apps, so that they don't use any memory. :-? He basically claims that the app killer is unnecessary.

malowitz
02-02-2010, 16:37
The Bump applicaiton is fun and would be neat for exchanging contact information w/other smart phone equipped hikers on the trail. I think it will cross with the iPhone (that a Droid and iPhone user can exchange contacts with it - but I'm not sure).

SurferNerd - I was a smartphone dullard before the Droid and some web research but I'm still learning from some of the new things you've posted (hadn't even thought of finding a shorter charging cable). Thanks.

SurferNerd
02-02-2010, 16:52
Post Deleted

DrRichardCranium
02-02-2010, 16:56
I don't know about IPhone. Doesn't it use a different OS than Droid?

Anyway, here's what the Droid developer wrote:

Android is different to most other phone operating systems (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/#). It's closer to Linux than any other type of operating system
http://kona.kontera.com/javascript/lib/imgs/grey_loader.gif
(http://www.droidforums.net/forum/#). Lots of services and applications constantly run in the background just like they do on Windows
http://kona.kontera.com/javascript/lib/imgs/grey_loader.gif
(http://www.droidforums.net/forum/#). However, and this is important, they do not have to use up a ton of resources. A service or app can be loaded, yet use almost no additional memory, and 0% CPU (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/#) until it actually has to do something.

In general, killing off stuff is a waste of time. Android automatically asks apps to close that aren't needed when it needs more memory. Killing off some of the processes you are killing off also means it'll slow your phone down, as these processes only need to reload, and when you do need to use them it means the phone will be slower for the few seconds it takes to reload them.

DrRichardCranium
02-02-2010, 16:56
sorry about the tags in the previous post.

SurferNerd
02-02-2010, 16:57
Post Deleted

DrRichardCranium
02-02-2010, 17:17
Hey, I wasn't arguing with you. I was merely pointing out that there are two experts (you & the Droid guy) saying two different things about task killer.

But as you point out, I don't know enough to decide which one is correct.

SurferNerd
02-02-2010, 17:21
Hey, I wasn't arguing with you. I was merely pointing out that there are two experts (you & the Droid guy) saying two different things about task killer.

But as you point out, I don't know enough to decide which one is correct.

My last and final statement to you regarding the app killer:

I use mine, it does work, it does improve battery consumption rates. Whether you choose to get it or not, HYOH. I'm not going any further on that topic. I'll happily assist with any other topics not related to the app killer.

HikingIllini
02-02-2010, 18:04
I just got a Droid and like it so far. I probably wouldnít take it on a thru, but HYOH.

Since my job requires me to fly a lot, I like using RSS feeds offline to read new stories from my favorite websites when I am in the plane and have no data coverage. I used Viigo for Blackberry, but it is not on the Android Market, so I have switched to NewsRob, a free app. http://newsrob.blogspot.com/ (http://newsrob.blogspot.com/) It syncs with Google Reader (an online RSS reader), and is pretty easy to use. It downloads the content to your device, so you can read stuff offline when there is no data coverage; just manually sync when you are in town (donít let it sync automatically). You can then read at your leisure at camp.

I also use the free Task Killer. Itís amazing how many apps start running without you opening even themÖI donít think Iíve ever used the alarm clock or the corporate calendar, but they are always on the list. I donít think itís unreasonable to believe that all of those apps slow your performance and drain the battery.

DrRichardCranium
02-02-2010, 18:18

I also use the free Task Killer. Itís amazing how many apps start running without you opening even themÖI donít think Iíve ever used the alarm clock or the corporate calendar, but they are always on the list. I donít think itís unreasonable to believe that all of those apps slow your performance and drain the battery.
How do you see the list of apps that are actually running?

I opened the menu and I see the shortcut for the Alarm Clock, but I don't think it's running (as far as I know). :-? (I've never used it yet, anyway.)

malowitz
02-02-2010, 18:24
I believe Advanced Task Killer now either comes already on the Droid is listed by Verizon as something you should download. Any insight HilingIllini - I got mine in November.

Dr. RC - there is no harm in downloading and using the program. I was like you and read that even with the apps "on" they weren't doing anything. Other people swore by the app and I think it has helped improve my battery life and all I do is periodically initiate a kill. I don't have the pay version.

My plan is to leave the phone off most of the time on the trail. Check it at night or for scheduled calls (I may still be 'working'). That will be my battery life imporvment Plan.

Powder River
02-02-2010, 18:25
Post Deleted.. can't argue with a Techtard. They know more than my college degree in Computer Science, and my years developing Linux. Buh Bye..

Surfernerd being a jerk will get you nowhere on this trail. Just sayin.

HikingIllini
02-02-2010, 18:34
How do you see the list of apps that are actually running?

I opened the menu and I see the shortcut for the Alarm Clock, but I don't think it's running (as far as I know). :-? (I've never used it yet, anyway.)

ATK will give you a list of running tasks.

Note that when you hit the home button, you don't ever actually close any apps down (like browser, market, facebook, etc), so those continue to run in the background. I don't know if they drain battery or not, but they take up RAM.

Not sure why calendar, alarm clock, etc turn on automatically, but they do on mine.

I'm not expert, these are my layman's observations.

HikingIllini
02-02-2010, 18:43
I believe Advanced Task Killer now either comes already on the Droid is listed by Verizon as something you should download. Any insight HilingIllini - I got mine in November.

I downloaded the free version from the Market after reading a "Top Ten Droid Apps" article on the web somewhere.

At the Verizon store, the salesman turned the Power Settings widget on for me and showed me how and why to use it; I'm guessing they have had a lot of battery complaints so they are educating their customers up front.

Hokie
02-02-2010, 19:31
Another battery conservation method is to carry extra batteries at 20gms each. Ebay dealers have them for $3-4/each rather than the retail $39. They are produced in Hong Kong but seem to work so far. I bought three extras. Using this approach, the cord could be put in the bounce box. I am testing my own use currently to see how long the battery lasts.

Are any of you planning to use it for occasional MP3 music on the trail? I am trying to see how much the music alone drains the battery with the phone in airplane mode to see if it is realistic to use this way.

evan.oliver
02-02-2010, 20:01
Post Deleted.. can't argue with a Techtard. They know more than my college degree in Computer Science, and my years developing Linux. Buh Bye..

LOLs

I'm going to state that I have a Masters in CS (human-computer interaction) so if you want to delete my post, go on ahead

I would recommend against using a hand crank charger on a smart phone unless you're either very consistent with your rate of cranking or the phone is off. In a modern smart phone, the phone will draw operating current (what it uses to stay running) from the charger and the excess is what charges a battery. With a hand crank, you're supplying quickly alternating levels of current at different voltages. As a result, I know on my Palm Pre, the voltage regulation circuitry gets _VERY_ hot trying to compensate. If your hand crank charger has some kind of capacitor/voltage regulation of its own you're probably okay.

I might suggest the energizer Power-to-go chargers you can pick up at walgreens. 2 AA batteries are enough for a full charge of my smartphone, so I'm carrying an 8 pack (enough to charge every other day between supply stops) of rechargeable and a charger. Keep the phone in airplane mode or off and your battery should last two days easy. Pop in the AAs and you're good to go.

SurferNerd
02-03-2010, 00:56
LOLs

I'm going to state that I have a Masters in CS (human-computer interaction) so if you want to delete my post, go on ahead

I would recommend against using a hand crank charger on a smart phone unless you're either very consistent with your rate of cranking or the phone is off. In a modern smart phone, the phone will draw operating current (what it uses to stay running) from the charger and the excess is what charges a battery. With a hand crank, you're supplying quickly alternating levels of current at different voltages. As a result, I know on my Palm Pre, the voltage regulation circuitry gets _VERY_ hot trying to compensate. If your hand crank charger has some kind of capacitor/voltage regulation of its own you're probably okay.

I might suggest the energizer Power-to-go chargers you can pick up at walgreens. 2 AA batteries are enough for a full charge of my smartphone, so I'm carrying an 8 pack (enough to charge every other day between supply stops) of rechargeable and a charger. Keep the phone in airplane mode or off and your battery should last two days easy. Pop in the AAs and you're good to go.

Never said I argued with your comment. I, in fact, fully agreed with your statement. My deleted comments were regarding the scuffle over an app killer to help battery life. The crank charger I bought isn't the cheapy one that generates nothing, it's actually pretty damn powerful. I love the Energizer-2-Go, I own one. Got it on sale at Kroger with 2 lithiums included for $7.99. I've carried it on many local weekend hikes and one weeklong, great device. But for 6 months I'd carry a crank charger, trying to remain sustainable on the trail the crank charger is my cheaper route. Yes its my pain in the ass burden, but it sure beats several packs of $$ AA's.

BrianLe
02-03-2010, 02:20
I know from unhappy experience that the Energizer-2-Go doesn't work well with my particular device, but I'm interested in your comment (SurferNerd) that you have a good crank charger --- and that there's a significant difference between different models of this. Could you tell us the brand/model please?

SurferNerd
02-03-2010, 02:40
I know from unhappy experience that the Energizer-2-Go doesn't work well with my particular device, but I'm interested in your comment (SurferNerd) that you have a good crank charger --- and that there's a significant difference between different models of this. Could you tell us the brand/model please?

The IST Sidewinder. It's been around awhile, but I own one as of December and I personally can say it works well for the Droid. Any other phone, no clue or comment.

You need the following:
http://www.istdesigns.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=1

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5337166&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

To Evan.Oliver, the Sidewinder includes the voltage regulator that pumps a constant flow of energy at 6.5volts/330milliamps. It's about 3/4 the energy and the correct voltage to charge a USB compatible phone.

HeartWalker
02-03-2010, 09:23
What exactly is Airplane mode? Can you still receive calls, etc.. Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks

JRiker
02-03-2010, 10:22
@billreyn...

no in airplane mode you can not receive calls, etc...
it's called airplane mode because it cuts off all outgoing on incoming signal from the phone, which is what is required of you on an airplane...

@ richard. when having this phone in airplane mode and using almost every tip i could find online, i can still only get the phone to last 2-3 days. i would recommend a real trail journal (paper, yep it still exists) and then type everything up when you get to a town.

AggieAl
02-03-2010, 13:40
I like paper. It never breaks down or needs recharging.

BrianLe
02-03-2010, 15:41
BTW, I would strongly suggest airplane mode, along with turning off anything else wireless (bluetooth, GPS, whatever) on ANY phone in order to conserve battery power. In my experience (not a droid phone), cell conversations (or internet use) take the most, because in particular broadcasting sucks up power. But the GPS and bluetooth do too.

Sometimes it gets a little tricky; one topo mapping product that I have (pocket topo) doesn't automatically start the GPS, you have to elect to do so within the software. But another tool (memory-map) automatically turns the GPS on, unfortunately I don't think there's a way to browse maps and do associated planning with it without the GPS becoming active.

winger
02-03-2010, 15:55
Any thoughts on the Amzer solar charger?

SurferNerd
02-05-2010, 14:38
Sorry about my hostility earlier in the discussion. Sometimes as a geek I take it personal when the advice I know is important to someone isn't heeded. I'd like to apologize for my actions.

I've been fiddling with my Droid over the past few days to try and prove YES or NO on the task killer. I've killed the phone dead 3 times and my results are actually pretty interesting. The first kill, without task killer it lasted about 12hrs with common daily usage. The second kill, with the task killer, about 14hrs with same average usage. The third, I underclocked the CPU so that when the screen is off, its only 125mhz and not 550mhz. This got me 26hrs of common use.

If you can root your phone, and underclock the CPU, you can make it run slower when not used therefore causing it to consume a SIGNIFICANTLY less amount of battery life.

HikingIllini
02-07-2010, 21:17
Sorry about my hostility earlier in the discussion. Sometimes as a geek I take it personal when the advice I know is important to someone isn't heeded. I'd like to apologize for my actions.

I've been fiddling with my Droid over the past few days to try and prove YES or NO on the task killer. I've killed the phone dead 3 times and my results are actually pretty interesting. The first kill, without task killer it lasted about 12hrs with common daily usage. The second kill, with the task killer, about 14hrs with same average usage. The third, I underclocked the CPU so that when the screen is off, its only 125mhz and not 550mhz. This got me 26hrs of common use.

If you can root your phone, and underclock the CPU, you can make it run slower when not used therefore causing it to consume a SIGNIFICANTLY less amount of battery life.

I'll bite. What is your recommended resource to learn how to root the Droid? It looks like SetCPU is a good app for the underclock process.

Good research on the ATK and battery.

Thanks,

SurferNerd
02-08-2010, 14:16
I'll bite. What is your recommended resource to learn how to root the Droid? It looks like SetCPU is a good app for the underclock process.

Good research on the ATK and battery.

Thanks,

Best source is AllDroid.org, a large community of Android developers, hackers, and theme makers. The site of the original Droid 2.0 rooting, and the site of a large number of projects including FM radio, and CPU clocking. SetCPU 1.4.5 is what I run, absolutely love it. The profiles section is what allows me the ability to underclock or overclock based on what the phone is doing, sleep, games, video, charging, etc.

Hyway
02-08-2010, 15:18
question about the Droid. How is the sound quality and reception when making a phone call? I have a friend with a droid and he says it sounds tinny and drops callas a lot. Is that just one phone gone bad or something indicative of all droids?

SurferNerd
02-08-2010, 15:59
question about the Droid. How is the sound quality and reception when making a phone call? I have a friend with a droid and he says it sounds tinny and drops callas a lot. Is that just one phone gone bad or something indicative of all droids?

Tell him:
On your dialpad dial ##PROGRAMthen press SEND

The SPC password is 000000

Now you should be at the Programming Menu. From the list press "04 Vocode"

Select EVRC-B

After you select one, back out to your home screen and your phone will reset.

This should give him a different voice priority code, increasing sound quality tenfold. We've also determined its by device, not across the board. Some phones were enabled with a different setting, some have this one.

Hyway
02-08-2010, 16:28
Thanks for the reply. I sent that fix to my friend. What about teh reception. does teh droid get as good reception as regular verizon phones?

Hyway
02-14-2010, 12:13
Ok, so I bought the droid. I am still like the guy who uses a modern high tech assault rifle as a club, but I am sure I will be sniping with it before too long. I did the fix suggested above and found the phone was set to EVRC and reset it to EVRC-B. That did make my sound quality much better, but only marginally made my voice on other phones sound less muddled. I need to take off the cover the store sold me to see if that is covering the mike.

Symbol
02-14-2010, 13:48
Ok, so I bought the droid. I am still like the guy who uses a modern high tech assault rifle as a club, but I am sure I will be sniping with it before too long. I did the fix suggested above and found the phone was set to EVRC and reset it to EVRC-B. That did make my sound quality much better, but only marginally made my voice on other phones sound less muddled. I need to take off the cover the store sold me to see if that is covering the mike.

I will be interested to find out what you find.

I am on the edge of bying one of these too.

Symbol
02-14-2010, 13:49
Of course I menat buying, not bying.

Wonder why we can't edit our posts on here?

Symbol
02-14-2010, 13:51
^ oh man... another typo. Looks like I picked the wrong day to wake up.

DrRichardCranium
02-14-2010, 15:37
Of course I menat buying, not bying.

Wonder why we can't edit our posts on here?

Because you haven't donated. If you donate money to the website, you get to edit your posts, among other things.

Symbol
02-19-2010, 13:58
Because you haven't donated. If you donate money to the website, you get to edit your posts, among other things.

Thanks.

I took care of that little issue of me not donating. ;)

Symbol
02-19-2010, 14:02

I bought the Droid a couple of days ago too. I just did the change to EVRC-B as well. I haven't talked on it enough to know if there is s difference.

For anyone considering a Droid right now, Verizon has a buy one get one free offer that started a couple days ago. (a change from the buy one and get a free Eris droid... this is buy the Motorola and get a Motorola)

Symbol
02-19-2010, 14:11
I just d/l the Google Skymaps... pretty cool.

malowitz
02-28-2010, 02:06
Google Earth for the Droid! Here are directions:
http://www.droid-life.com/search?q=google+earth

I found it through phandroid.com. Looks like a lot of good information on the droid life site. I've got some reviewing/learning to do still.

Hokie
03-03-2010, 09:47
Update

Tried Radio Shack's I-Go Power Charger with good results as follows:

I-Go with micro USB adapter - 43 grams
2 Lithium AA Energizer batteries - 14 grams each - 28 total

Recharge results:
1. One set of 2 AA lithium batteries fully recharged Droid where battery was allowed to drain to the point it would not turn back on (5% battery showed when it did come back on when recharger plugged in) within 2 1/2 hours. The rate was approximately another 10% every 12-15 minutes. The phone was usable within 5 minutes.
2. Repeating the above steps, the original set of batteries were used again to see how much charge they would provide. They died before 1 hr 10minutes and resulted in an additional 40% charge. I do not yet know if they have any residual power remaining for potential other uses.

Conclusion:
41 gram Radio Shack I-Go system can recharge 1.4X per set of Lithium Energizer batteries.

Comment:
Since the original phone charger and a short 6" charge cord weigh 54 grams and extra Droid batteries weigh 25 grams each, the I-Go system is better weight management and more convenient with not having to wait for charging in towns. Only downside I see is the expense of AA batteries. I now plan to leave all AC power charger options behind.

Blue Jay
03-03-2010, 13:03
Surfernerd being a jerk will get you nowhere on this trail. Just sayin.

Being a Jerk might just be superior than being a Droid. At least you're still human.:welcome

rangergirl
03-03-2010, 21:31

I am learning about my Droid, plan to take in on the PCT. What do you mean by 'root your phone' and 'underclock the CPU'. what does that do, how would i do it, how would i reverse it (would i want to reverse it in town?)... and and and...
Thinking of battery life: AA recharger vs solar? solar seems 'green', but the AA sounds good and more reliable. thoughts?
thanks for all your info.

Symbol
03-11-2010, 13:14
I think SurferNerd has started his thru and won't be able to answer your questions rangergirl.

rooting the phone means going into the phone and changing the way it works through the Operating System. (changing code) Unless you are comfortable with doing that sort of thing I would steer clear.

I think the best thing for folks like us to do is turn off the phone when we aren't using it.

malowitz
03-19-2010, 23:09
I leave tomorrow for the approach trail and hopefully 2,178 miles more. I'm using postholer for my journal so I can do the updates via e-mail. They have a nice interactive map feature but to auto-update you need to send a signal from a Spot. Otherwise you can type out the lat and long (rather cumbersome) on the website or in your e-mail.

Instead, I'm planning to use My Maps Editor. You can update your map and with your location, notes, and photos too and it syncs to the My Map that others can see through the web. I hope to keep going with the updates but I really just learned how to use it today. I added a link to My Map on my journal. Also since I've been unsuccesful in getting my photos into the journal via e-mail, the My Maps will let me put some up there for folks to see -they'll just come from the Droid instead of real camera.

FWIW, I tried to upload the data that the ATC has for the centerline. However, the file was too large to upload. I did upload the shelter list, but it seemed to really slow down the loading of the map.