PDA

View Full Version : Discharging Muzzle loaders

hacksaw
09-20-2004, 16:01
I recently read a post questioning the methods of unloading muzzle loading weapons. I can't seem to find the post so after checking with a muzzle loading enthusiast friend of mine I thought I'd put the info here.

According to my friend there are three accepted methods of unloading this type weapon.
1. Discharge the weapon as if firing at a target.(You have to clean the weapon after firing so many responsible muzzle loaders do not practice this method)

2 .There is a device which attaches to the ramrod used to seat the powder and projectile which is threaded and can be screwed into the ball (projectile) and pull the projectile out the muzzle and then dump out the powder charge, again requiring a thorough cleaning.

3. In recent years a device has come on the market that is inserted in the primer orifice which blows co2 into the chamber pushing both powder and projectile out the business end of the weapon.

I suppose there are others, but here are the big three.

Guess which one Bubba is going to choose? :-? KABLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

pvtmorriscsa
09-20-2004, 16:50
1. Discharge the weapon as if firing at a target.(You have to clean the weapon after firing so many responsible muzzle loaders do not practice this method)

2 .There is a device which attaches to the ramrod used to seat the powder and projectile which is threaded and can be screwed into the ball (projectile) and pull the projectile out the muzzle and then dump out the powder charge, again requiring a thorough cleaning.

3. In recent years a device has come on the market that is inserted in the primer orifice which blows co2 into the chamber pushing both powder and projectile out the business end of the weapon.

Firing the weapon is the best way to get the ball out in my humble opinion. Black powder is extremely corrosive, so regardless of whether you have fired it or not you are going to have to clean it.
The device you mentioned in number two is called a worm. At least that is what all the blackpowder shooters I know call it. Using a worm to extract the ball is a serious PITA. I have never heard of number three probably because it won't work on my Enfield, although it seems like a good idea. A lot of the newer muzzle loading gear will not work for me. I guess that is the price I pay for shooting an antique assault rifle.

Lone Wolf
09-20-2004, 16:50
Talk about off topic! :D

pvtmorriscsa
09-20-2004, 18:11
I was wondering when it was going to get punted over to the new "Off Topic" catagory.

Dances with Mice
09-20-2004, 19:00
Talk about off topic! :D

It's a reply to:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5749

And a good reply, too. Thanks!

hacksaw
09-20-2004, 22:34
Damn, L.W. someone asked a questioon and I tried to answer it. I thought that's what we did here. :confused:

Hacksaw
Semper Fi.

Jaybird
09-21-2004, 05:48
[QUOTE=hacksaw]I recently read a post questioning the methods of unloading muzzle loading weapons. I can't seem to find the post so after checking with a muzzle loading enthusiast friend of mine I thought I'd put the info here.

WHY? what does this have to do with hiking/White Blaze concerns?
do you plan @ shooting @ hikers? :D

orangebug
09-21-2004, 06:03
It was the answer to a question in another thread. The concern was hiking during hunting season, and wondering about the number of shots near sundown - especially during black powder season. Someone theorized this was due to discharging the muzzle loaded gun as a means of unloading it. Another wondered if there were less noisy and expensive ways of saving the load. Hacksaw couldn't find that thread and posted a new thread with his answer.

I thought it was on topic given the context. Why give the guy such a hard time? No one said anything about shooting anyone.

robo
09-21-2004, 17:48
you've made my day, i was afraid i was the only one out here that has ever pulled a trigger, now for my big question, i've heard tons of stories about mouse damage to hikers gear and food. in the 70's before P.C. everybody i meet north of hot springs had 1 trap in their pack and score cards were left in the shelters with last nights score . now please be kind it's just a question from someone who's been gone for awhile and needs to learn the new rules

Lone Wolf
09-21-2004, 18:24
Frig PC. Mice are vermin. Kill with extreme prejudice.

Rocalousas
09-21-2004, 18:34
everybody i meet north of hot springs had 1 trap in their pack and score cards were left in the shelters with last nights score
There's a pic somewhere in the gallery of a hiker with about 10 dead mice laid out in a row at a shelter. That's one cool pic. Anyone know where to find it?