PDA

View Full Version : Optimus Nova Stove Review

babbage
02-02-2010, 19:41
Follow up -- Well Katadyn has terrible service. They were to ship me a pump when their backorder came in. That turned out to be untue. I waited two months, spoke with them 3 times and they finally told me that the pump has been redesigned and that it will not fit the hose on my stove. Thanks. I have a leaky stove that is useless. Campsaver is where I bought it and they directed me to deal directly with Katadyn. When I called them and told them the situation they told me they would have to charge a restocking fee of 50% because I was past my 60 days to return. It was their idea to try and deal with Katadyn, otherwise I could have returned it when it was only two weeks old. I feel like a sap. Well anyways now I have to find a new stove and I am out 117 dollars. This time I will pay much closer attention to the reviews, and I will certainly use a store with a better reputation this time, like Campmor or REI. This is my first bad internet purchase experience and I hope it is my last. Buyer Beware.

Spokes
02-02-2010, 19:53
Did I miss something?

Mountain Wildman
02-02-2010, 20:29
Bummer about your Campsaver Experience, I have dealt with them a couple times recently and had no problem with returning almost 400 dollars of gear I ordered, but I had not used any of it. Since then I do extensive research on any gear I consider.
For reviews I go to:http://www.buzzillions.com/ and: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ I also check on this site by searching with the name of the item and read posts and threads and also check at Backpacker Magazine under Gear and search there as well. Thanks to everyone here and the other places above I have been able to make informed, better choices. Hope it works out for you.

Snowleopard
02-02-2010, 20:49
Try contacting this place: A & H Enterprises. http://packstoves.net/cart/index.php?main_page=index
When I was stove shopping I heard good things about them. I have an Optimus Nova that I like so far. I had an Optimus Explorer (earlier version, rather similar) that was destroyed by junkies during a breakin.

Someone who may have some advice is The Old Fhart here on WB. He collects stoves and seems to know a lot. PM him and see if he has any ideas. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=960183&postcount=134

I'll check to see if my Explorer's pump fits my nova this weekend, but I don't have much hope on that.

300winmag
02-02-2010, 23:43
Ya shoulda bought an MSR Dragonfly. THAT company will give your service as long as you own the stove.

CampSaver, never heard of that company. :confused:

Do you get an Optimus warratny?

buz
02-03-2010, 10:02
Sorry bout your stove, but our scout troop has 4 of these, and they are champion stoves, IMO. Relatively light and compact for white gas units, can handle very large pots with ease, believe or not very trouble free, and easy to troubleshoot if something isn't right, and great simmer. Seem to be very miserly on fuel usage as well. We couldn't be more satisfied with a stove that can handle big volume cooking, yet simmer as well.

Lipson
05-08-2010, 09:51
I like my Nova ,,, Dragonfly great stove also BUT you really need to carry a tiny wire brush to keep the groves in the valve clean as it plugs up pretty quick

LIhikers
05-09-2010, 21:37
If you're still looking for a new stove let me suggest an MSR Simmerlite.
We've had ours for years and it works great summer, winter, spring and fall.

babbage
12-04-2010, 20:20
The Optimus Nova Stoves have been recalled. 70 reports of leaks at the fuel line and pump. Since Optimus was bought out by Katadyn in 2008 these stoves have been manufacured in China although they make it sound like they were made in Sweden - they are not! Arggghhh.

Snowleopard
12-13-2010, 16:42
The Optimus Nova Stoves have been recalled. 70 reports of leaks at the fuel line and pump. Since Optimus was bought out by Katadyn in 2008 these stoves have been manufacured in China although they make it sound like they were made in Sweden - they are not! Arggghhh.
More info on this recall:
http://www.optimusstoves.com/fileadmin/user_upload/optimus/Downloads/FAQ_F_112210.pdf
Not all Optimus Novas are affected by the recall. Those affected have a black burner housing and green pump handle and green on/off knob. More details in the pdf. Mine is OK (2008 model bought in 3/2009). I still like it.

Hikerhead
12-13-2010, 18:56
I like my Nova, had it for about 2 years now. First one was a 71 6 banger, the one I have now is a 70, 8 cylinder, 400 hp.

Skidsteer
12-13-2010, 19:20
I like my Nova, had it for about 2 years now. First one was a 71 6 banger, the one I have now is a 70, 8 cylinder, 400 hp.

How fast will it boil two cups of water?

Hikerhead
12-13-2010, 21:04
How fast will it boil two cups of water?

Back in the summer it boiled about 20 quarts in only 10 miles.

JERMM
12-13-2010, 21:08
was that caused by the heat wave

Skidsteer
12-13-2010, 21:14
was that caused by the heat wave

Windscreen problems, no doubt.

JERMM
12-13-2010, 21:17
Windscreen problems, no doubt.

it caught on fire when i used one this summer, if figured it was heat wave related