PDA

View Full Version : Campsites between Tray Mtn Shelter and Deep Gap Shelter

Daydream Believer
02-02-2010, 19:55
I am trying to plan a section hike from Hogpen Gap to Dick's Creek Gap NOBO. I am wondering if there are some decent tentsites north of Tray Mountain Shelter...say around Steeltrap Gap or the Swag of the Blue Ridge? My guide book doesn't show a campsite until Sassafras Gap (after Tray Mtn Shelter)...but that may be farther than we can make coming from Blue Mtn. Shelter (1st night stop)....so I was just wondering what might be out there. It does seem like there are a lot of campsites that are not in the guide books.

Thanks! :)

Praha4
02-02-2010, 20:43
I hiked that same section (Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap) back in mid November. I tent camped at Low Gap Shelter, Blue Mtn shelter, and Tray Mtn Shelter. From Tray Mtn, it's all downhill to Dicks Creek Gap, except for the little mentioned Kelly's Knob, which is a tough uphill climb.

Tray Mtn Shelter has good water behind it, and some great tent campsites on the ridge with beautiful views of the sunrise.

It's a tough 8 miles from Blue Mtn shelter to Tray Mtn shelter, you have two up n' downs (Unicoi Gap and Indian Grave Gap) on that section.... you may want to consider staying at Tray Mtn Shelter, then legging it out the last day to Dicks Creek Gap. I found that last 12 miles was almost all downhill (except kellys knob) and it goes a lot faster than the 8 miles from Blue Mtn to Tray Mtn shelters.

There is also a real nice blue blaze "Vista" campsite to the right as you head NOBO, about 1 mile north of Deep gap shelter.

But there are all kinds of "unmarked" campsites along the trail in that area, you could just about pitch your tent anywhere along that trail.

Dances with Mice
02-02-2010, 20:48
Steeltrap Gap has a fabulous campsite. Very comfortable and well maintained.

Just sayin'.

Daydream Believer
02-02-2010, 21:07
Thanks! Great info! I appreciate it!

Chip
02-02-2010, 21:29
The first time that I hiked the GA section we pitched a tent in a clear spot just off the trail in the Blue Ridge Swag. No problems. If you do something like this make sure you already have water (tank up along the way). LNT, no campfire. :)

dovecote
02-02-2010, 22:36
Steeltrap Gap has a fabulous campsite. Very comfortable and well maintained.

Just sayin'.

Also a top notch fast flowing spring in the early months of the year.

Daydream Believer
02-03-2010, 00:03
Steeltrap Gap sounds like it might be just the thing for us. Are there multiple tentsites if we find others have the same idea we do?

I also think staying at the Tray Mtn Shelter and doing a longer third day makes much sense also.

Chip..thanks also for the info on Blue Ridge Swag. I love that name...I might just have to stay there to say I did!

Dances with Mice
02-03-2010, 20:27
Steeltrap Gap sounds like it might be just the thing for us. Are there multiple tentsites if we find others have the same idea we do?

I also think staying at the Tray Mtn Shelter and doing a longer third day makes much sense also.

Chip..thanks also for the info on Blue Ridge Swag. I love that name...I might just have to stay there to say I did!I've put a Boy Scout group - not a troop but a group training for Philmont - in Steeltrap. IIRC we had 5 or 6 tents there. Space ain't a problem, and although it's in a gap it's sheltered from the north winds by trees.

There's another trail going trail-west from there and in about 2-300 yards that connects to the FS road you'll pass at Tray Mtn Gap. The trail, used by maintainers for easy access to that part of the Trail passes an American Elm that keep sending up shoots from a 3-4 foot diameter stump. The shoots get about walking stick size before they die, so the stump is crowned with a ring of old shoots that have died. It'd be really hard to recognize before it leafs out and even then it looks like a lot like a Buckeye bush.

I keep looking at the growing shoot and thinking what a unique walking stick it would make.

Bad thought, Dances. Dances Bad!

Daydream Believer
02-03-2010, 20:49
Dances...thanks for that info on Steeltrap Gap and the space for tents. Good to know! I'd have given my left arm for a place sheltered from the North wind back just after Christmas on our last section hike!

I will keep my eyes open for that Elm.

Now if the shoot is going to die anyway, is it so bad to cut one off? ;-) Or how about taking a dead one? Blasted Dutch Elm disease...

Dances with Mice
02-03-2010, 21:18
There's another trail going trail-west from there and in about 2-300 yards that connects to the FS road you'll pass at Tray Mtn Gap. The trail, used by maintainers for easy access to that part of the Trail passes an American Elm that keep sending up shoots from a 3-4 foot diameter stump.My on the fly editing sucks. Some corrections: There's a trail that leaves Steel Trap, trail west, heading towards the road you passed at Tray Gap. In about 2-300 yards it passes a determined but doomed American Chestnut (not Elm) that keeps sending up shoots. The old chestnut trunk is surrounded by a crown of four foot hight shoots representing many years of efforts to stay alive.

I have thought about taking the current shoot but the poor thing is under enough stress without having to fend off souvenir hunters.

Daydream Believer
02-03-2010, 22:08
Ah... a American Chestnut. I will definitely look for it! Not sure I've ever seen one! True...it would be awful to cut a living shoot off of that tree. Good point.