PDA

View Full Version : Target now selling Kelty

Tennessee Viking
02-02-2010, 20:15
Just ran through Target today, and noticed that their sporting goods section is now carrying a small selection of Kelty gear.

Looked like the Trail series of day packs and then a couple Basecamp series tents.

http://trailsauce.com/2010/01/target-to-sell-kelty-brand-outdoors-gear/

Cabin Fever
02-02-2010, 20:24
Even better reason not to buy it.

sasquatch2014
02-02-2010, 20:53
I have a Kelty and love it. I don't give a ***** who sells them if it works great. If I can buy it for less even better. I guess if Mercedes Benz decided to sell their cars through Wal-Mart people would stop buying them? It's just a distribution source. Relax.

CrumbSnatcher
02-02-2010, 21:00
proud owner of kelty externals, great pack for the A.T. LOVE EM'

Tennessee Viking
02-02-2010, 22:02
Even better reason not to buy it.I have a Kelty external, but why Target. It won't get enough sales with such a limited selection that they have.

babbage
02-02-2010, 23:24
There are the older Keltys and there are the new Keltys.

Tuckahoe
02-02-2010, 23:26
Some folks just have to drink the kool-aid.

sasquatch2014
02-02-2010, 23:30
Some folks just have to drink the kool-aid.

Jim Jones now there is a man who knew how to set up a base camp!:rolleyes:

Tuckahoe
02-02-2010, 23:32
Jim Jones now there is a man who knew how to set up a base camp!:rolleyes:

Oh, but he really screwed up cause he dared to use an off brand of kool-aid.

300winmag
02-02-2010, 23:37
:rolleyes:How "20th century" to use an internal frame pack - unless you're packing out elk quarters.

But they are comfortable:) - just not lightweight.

Eric

300winmag
02-02-2010, 23:40
EGAD!!

I meant EXternal frame packs were "20th Century" .

Judas Priest! Has my entire brain become mush?

AAaarrrggghhh!

Eric (I think thats' my name. Wait, let me check my laundry tag.)

sasquatch2014
02-02-2010, 23:41
Oh, but he really screwed up cause he dared to use an off brand of kool-aid.

Damn generics!

Mags
02-02-2010, 23:44
If it is like Mountainsmith or Marmot (http://www.google.com/products?q=marmot%20bags%20dick%27s&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf)for Dick's, then they are specially made for the store. The quality is not quite as high as their normal stuff, but probably pretty decent to good.

(Marmot, for example, had a 650 fill down bag made exclusively for Dick's sporting goods.. A notch below their normal bags but still better than the normal bags typically sold at a place like Dick's)

Kelty makes some good "bread and butter" gear. Nothing fancy, but well made and solid from my experience. I still use my old Kelty Zen by them every-so-often... I suspect the Kelty gear will be a notch above the normal Target-branded backpacking gear (or the branded Eddie Bauer gear also sold there).

Doooglas
02-03-2010, 00:09
I have a Kelty and love it. I don't give a ***** who sells them if it works great. If I can buy it for less even better. I guess if Mercedes Benz decided to sell their cars through Wal-Mart people would stop buying them? It's just a distribution source. Relax.
Yepp. Amerikka is finished. Thanks to your type.:mad:

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 07:41

Why because I don't give a ****:eek: or because I am willing to pay less for something if I can?:-? I am only doing that so that I can save up my money and bring my wisdom down to Costa Rica when I retire, so you have that to look forward to.:banana

Toolshed
02-03-2010, 07:42
If it is like Mountainsmith or Marmot (http://www.google.com/products?q=marmot%20bags%20dick%27s&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf)for Dick's, then they are specially made for the store. The quality is not quite as high as their normal stuff, but probably pretty decent to good.

(Marmot, for example, had a 650 fill down bag made exclusively for Dick's sporting goods.. A notch below their normal bags but still better than the normal bags typically sold at a place like Dick's)

Kelty makes some good "bread and butter" gear. Nothing fancy, but well made and solid from my experience. I still use my old Kelty Zen by them every-so-often... I suspect the Kelty gear will be a notch above the normal Target-branded backpacking gear (or the branded Eddie Bauer gear also sold there).
Eureka did the same thing for Dicks and Galyans. I mentioned this in a tent thread recently.

My thought is that with Dick Kelty gone (5 or 6 years now) as steward and owner of the Company, perhaps the family (If it is still family-owned) is moving more towards mass merchandising, as many other companies do when the founder moves on.

Cabin Fever
02-03-2010, 07:53
Haha. I just tried a little LW-style conversation and it worked! Gets everyone tore up.

If you are going to use asterisks to mask profanity, why not just say it. "Because my post will get deleted." Then don't say it all.

Toolshed
02-03-2010, 08:10
Haha. I just tried a little LW-style conversation and it worked! Gets everyone tore up.

If you are going to use asterisks to mask profanity, why not just say it. "Because my post will get deleted." Then don't say it all.
Just understand. You are NOT LW. You CANNOT live the DREAM. Now take your hiking sticks and go back to your Trail shelter. :sun

Tennessee Viking
02-03-2010, 09:32
The Kelty stuff was just being put on the shelves, so I didn't get all the prices. But they had one or two tents then a picnic shelter starting at 199.99.

Then they only had Kelty day packs. So no big jump on that except for the weekend day hiker.

Pedaling Fool
02-03-2010, 09:44
Everything has a The End.

10-K
02-03-2010, 10:03
Everything has a The End.

Truer words have never been spoken.

As soon as something begins, it begins to end.

Mags
02-03-2010, 13:10
Cue in overly dramatic Doors song....

http://www.tu.tv/videos/the-doors-the-end-original-version