PDA

View Full Version : Who does sandals?

ncmtns
09-20-2004, 16:42
Im thinking of trying sandals instead of hiking shoes. Anyone have any comments about them? Thanx ahead,,, Bill

Speer Carrier
09-20-2004, 18:11
I hiked the entire Georgia portion of the AT in early May wearing Keen sandals. I thought they were as comfortable as running shoes, and weighed about the same. I got them wet a couple of times, and found that they dried out faster then my running shoes. I wore socks, and had no problem with stones in the sandals, or with blisters.

Since that time, I have hiked down the wagon train trail from the top of Brasstown Bald to Young Harris College (about 6-7 miles I believe) with the sandals, and no socks. Stones were not a problem, nor were blisters. I'd like to think that given some break in time, I could hike 10-15 miles per day with no socks and the sandals.

Skink

jackiebolen
09-20-2004, 18:32
I hiked a couple hundred miles or so in North Carolina with Chacos and found them quite enjoyable except for the dry feet situation. If you can solve that problem then you'd be good to go.

Two Speed
09-20-2004, 18:39
Unless I'm on a work trip or really cold weather is predicted, I hike in sandals.

The obvious advantages are that sandals are inherently light footwear and have great ventilation.

So far, the disadvantages that I've noticed are:
1) They don't offer much support. If you have weak ankles, sandals may not be an option for you.
2) You will have the dirtiest socks on the trail. Even though I feel my foot placement is far better in sandals, and I don't step in nearly as much goo and such as I would in boots, somehow, at the end of the day, my socks are blitzed. We ain't even gonna talk about being on a muddy trail.
3) Did someone mention mud? The tread on the Tevas I'm currently using pack with mud fairly quickly, making walking on muddy trails tough. I had one real rain day on my last three day section hike, and I took two gainers that day, one of which was nearly a face plant. Next time I go looking for sandals, I'm darn sure going to get a more aggressive tread.

A really good pair of trail runners might be a good compromise, but I haven't tried that option yet. I do know that my Sundowners will be reserved for those trips where snow is unavoidable.

Hammock Hanger
09-20-2004, 19:38
Im thinking of trying sandals instead of hiking shoes. Anyone have any comments about them? Thanx ahead,,, Bill
If you carry a light enough pack you don't need the ankle support that heavy boots provide. I hiked in them for over 1000 miles and loved them. Unfortunately I found I had an allergic reaction to the soil in NH that caused my feet to crack. (I had the same reaction when I taught in the ADKs.) Also the granite in NH was pretty painful when it got between the sandal and the foot.

Sue/HH

K-Bear
09-21-2004, 17:50
I hiked 600+ miles this year in my Keen sandals. Only thing is keep those feet pampered, they want to crack on you (especially around the heel) so lotion or something is a good idea after your hiking day is done.