PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Maine-ah?

EDexter
02-02-2010, 22:19
How many Mainers will be joining the class of 2010?!

My boyfriend and I will be starting February 22nd and walking home...

emerald
02-02-2010, 22:25
You evah scene that silly thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35394)? You no doubt could contribute to the cause.

Deadeye
02-03-2010, 00:10
I thought it was Maine-iac

gm1275a
02-03-2010, 00:21
Ya i'll be with you starting on Feb 28th... I hope it's not single digits in Georgia, too!

thelowend
02-03-2010, 00:27
^ i wish. i went out for a little weekender over new years in the cohuttas and i was wonderful. just at the top line of the katabatics and well below the ridgeline, i was in a slightly windy but great spot nonetheless. i love me some cold weather camping.

WalkinHome
02-03-2010, 15:42
I thought it was Maine-iac

According to Ed Muskie, a Mainiac is someone born in Maine and moves away. A Mainer is someone who is born in Maine and stays in Maine. I be a Mainer ayuh

emerald
02-03-2010, 15:55
I never knew Ed Muskie said that, but, as someone from away, I count on people like you to pay attention to such things to keep me informed.

wcgornto
02-03-2010, 16:22
According to Ed Muskie, a Mainiac is someone born in Maine and moves away. A Mainer is someone who is born in Maine and stays in Maine. I be a Mainer ayuh

Makes me cry to hear that. ;)

emerald
02-03-2010, 16:30
Sad, but one must expect such posts here.

The Flatulator
02-03-2010, 17:36
It's Maineah, by the way, and I will be hittin' the Trail on April 13. Looking forward to the wahmuh weathuh, ayuh......

emerald
02-03-2010, 17:41
Yes, but a dash helps people from away with pronunciation.:welcome

Andrea356
02-03-2010, 17:43
I also am a Maineah who'll be walking home in 2010, but I'll be starting March 16th. Just because I"m from up North doesn't mean I like the cold!!!

On a rather amusing note, I"m hitching a lift down to Georgia with my brother, and I just realized it only takes 3 DAYS to drive down to Georgia. It was kind of shocking, as I'm so used to thinking of the trip in terms of months!

berkshirebirder
02-03-2010, 18:09
...it only takes 3 DAYS to drive down to Georgia. --andrea356

Thayah's a message thayah. Most Mainahs would be on it like a blackfly on a hikah.

Tinker
02-03-2010, 19:48
It's Maineah, by the way, and I will be hittin' the Trail on April 13. Looking forward to the wahmuh weathuh, ayuh......

Judging from your forum name, you'll have no problem getting (or making :D) room for yourself if you use shelters.;)

The Flatulator
02-04-2010, 10:20
Lifes a gas!....Methane is the power that gets us up these "New England Style" switchbacks. Remember...Trail names are earned and traditionally given to those who have proven themselves in one form or another. Gotta...BRAAAAAAP....go!

TEXMAN
02-04-2010, 11:06
How many Mainers will be joining the class of 2010?!

My boyfriend and I will be starting February 22nd and walking home...

I have lived in Texas for 20 years but my heart is in New England and I have a "CAMP" in Palmyra,ME for summer use...
So that may qualify me as a "part timah"

I do know who the REAL Bob Marley is and will have his comedy routine on my IPOD to listen to as I hike ...I am starting on 15 Feb

O.M. River

The Flatulator
02-04-2010, 11:39
Fuhst off......it's summuh! At least you know what a camp is, so you scored some points along the way. Bob Marley knowledge is another plus, but most of us would have been impressed with Marshall Dodge or Tim Sample as well. To be a true Maineuh, you has tuh be bahn heyuh. You can live heyuh all your life, but still be "from away" if yuh ain't been bahn heyuh. Ayuh!

Lone Wolf
02-04-2010, 11:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTz9LBxNai4

weary
02-04-2010, 12:06
Fuhst off......it's summuh! At least you know what a camp is, so you scored some points along the way. Bob Marley knowledge is another plus, but most of us would have been impressed with Marshall Dodge or Tim Sample as well. To be a true Maineuh, you has tuh be bahn heyuh. You can live heyuh all your life, but still be "from away" if yuh ain't been bahn heyuh. Ayuh!

That leaves Marshall out of the true Maineuh category.
One problem with trying to talk -- or write -- like a "Maineuh" is that it varies all over the place. I grew up a block from the tidal mouth of the Kennebec River in Bath. Our accent was noticeably different than the accent of those in the fishing villages 8 miles down the tidal estuary. The popularity of Marshall Dodge and Tim Sample, the influx of tourist refugees from the south, television, and the increased availability of schooling opportunities has tended to blend the accents a bit, but those who live here can still mostly tell the roots of strangers, once they begin to speak.

Incidentally the northern Maine, Aroostook County, accent is equally distinct, but totally different from that of coastal towns.

Weary

The Flatulator
02-04-2010, 12:36
Weary from Phippsburg....What section of Trail do you maintain? I have been involved with the MATC for 33 years and was a District Overseer and Trail maintainer for most of those years (until the Feds decided that all maintainers needed certification, first aid instruction and CPR before we could pick up and use a chainsaw).....

mudhead
02-04-2010, 16:49
i have lived in texas for 20 years but my heart is in new england and i have a "camp" in palmyra,me for summer use...

so that may qualify me as a "part timah"

taxpayer, anyway. Patriots vs cowboys in arlington. You are in a bar. Who do you root for?

Which direction do you slow down and look three times at l hill?

How many people do you know that understand "yun2?"

i do know who the real bob marley is and will have his comedy routine on my ipod to listen to as i hike ...i am starting on 15 feb

o.m. River
. .

weary
02-04-2010, 17:12
Weary from Phippsburg....What section of Trail do you maintain? I have been involved with the MATC for 33 years and was a District Overseer and Trail maintainer for most of those years (until the Feds decided that all maintainers needed certification, first aid instruction and CPR before we could pick up and use a chainsaw).....
I maintained three miles on Whitecap for 20 plus years. I was overseer of the Whitecap District for six years after Steve Clark gave up the job to organize the 1997 biennial Conference.

I now just put out the MAINEtainer. My trail maintenance these days is all on Phippsburg Land Trust trails.

I fought the federal regulations on chainsaws for years. But a guy who helps me on our town trails, recently spent three days in the hospital and now walks with a limp after severely injuring his leg with his chainsaw. So now the land trust is requiring everyone using a chainsaw on our trails to at least wear chaps. We still don't require training however.

Weary

generATion X
02-05-2010, 16:13
Leaving on or about the first of march.

where is your camp in Palmyra Texman? There isnt much water there, just the Sebasticook and pond near the golf course.

And yes, there is a big difference in the accents from the county and down east. Most of southern Maine is a now suburb of Boston and they all talk like Massholes. Us folks in the middle talk normal.

The Flatulator
02-05-2010, 16:45
Hi Weary (Bob)....This is Phil and I will be out on the trail this Summuh doing a third thru-hike. Don't need to worry about hanging around until after Memorial day, anyways, to clear out blowdowns. I am a free man now (free from trail work anyways-wife still reminds me of the "ball and chain" around my ring finger). Looking forward to the wahmuh weathuh and won't be missin' the black flies, either! I still believe in personal choice, so long as common sense is used. Thanks for all you do and have done for the MATC and the Trail!

weary
02-05-2010, 17:21
Hi Weary (Bob)....This is Phil and I will be out on the trail this Summuh doing a third thru-hike. Don't need to worry about hanging around until after Memorial day, anyways, to clear out blowdowns. I am a free man now (free from trail work anyways-wife still reminds me of the "ball and chain" around my ring finger). Looking forward to the wahmuh weathuh and won't be missin' the black flies, either! I still believe in personal choice, so long as common sense is used. Thanks for all you do and have done for the MATC and the Trail!
Phil. Have a great walk. Have your Dexter boots worn out yet? I had to abandon my last pair a few months ago.

I still dream of another AT walk. I can get around my Land Trust, MATC (and AMC) responsibilities. My daughter already helps edit each edition of the two newsletters I do. She can take over most any time.

I could even work around the hassle of diabetes. Many have done so. But diabetes coupled with some other medical complications pretty much limit my walking excursions to a few days at a time. I may carve out a slow two week backpack one of these days. But that is the convenient limit.

I still dream of getting to the summit of Katahdin again. But I keep remembering the 80 year old who attemped the mountain a few years ago, and had to be rescued from the summit. I don't want a rescue to climax my decades of criticizing park regulations.

My wife doesn't pose a problem. I haven't asked, but I sense she would welcome a six month vacation from me.

I kind of figured who flatulator had to be a few posts ago. But thanks for introducing yourself.

Weary

The Flatulator
02-05-2010, 17:55
Hi Bob.....Not sure I will use the same Trail name as last trip. Not even the same as my first trip and then I had a Trail name I got from just being a maintainer. I will still always be just Phil from Maine....Ayuh! April 13 can't come soon enough!

TEXMAN
02-07-2010, 23:26
Leaving on or about the first of march.

where is your camp in Palmyra Texman? There isnt much water there, just the Sebasticook and pond near the golf course.

And yes, there is a big difference in the accents from the county and down east. Most of southern Maine is a now suburb of Boston and they all talk like Massholes. Us folks in the middle talk normal.

I confess I am originally from MASS so I guess I will never qualify....The cottage is at Whites Pond across from the golf course ...and it's for sale if you know anyone interested
'