PDA

View Full Version : "WALKING MAN" celebration

300winmag
02-02-2010, 22:59
We have the "BRUNING MAN" fest here in Nevada.

How about a "WALKING MAN" week long celebration in Harper's Ferry in mid summer, about the time most thru hikers arive?

Former thru hikers, trail workers, trail goods vendors, and just plain kid and families might be intrested.

And, of course, you'll need a big Walking Man effigy/wood statue as the centerpiece, perhaps to be dismembered and burned at the closing bonfire.

Eric
:sun

Powder River
02-02-2010, 23:03
Good luck having a gathering, much less a bonfire anywhere near Harper's Ferry. The NPS won't even let me pull up my kayak so I can spend some money in their town. They like to keep the riff raff out.

sasquatch2014
02-02-2010, 23:36
I think that the last time they burned an effigy in Harpers Ferry they also hung John Brown, good luck.

thelowend
02-02-2010, 23:37
^oh shhhitttt. hahahaha good one

prain4u
02-02-2010, 23:59
It is highly unlikely that any AUTHORIZED "Walking Man" festival is going to happen in the area of Harper's Ferry (at least on any large scale). Festivals like "Burning Man" are "generally" much more acceptable West of the Mississippi River than they are within a few hundred miles of the Atlantic Ocean.

Are there notable exceptions? Sure! (Woodstock and a couple of the bigger Rainbow Gatherings come to mind). However, such events are much more common (and much more accepted) "out West" and on the Great Plains.

The overall population density is much greater the closer that you get to the East Coast. Thus, when it comes to big festivals, you have many more people saying: "Not In My Back Yard!". I wouldn't even be surprised if the number of law enforcement officers per square mile is significantly higher "out East".

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an authorized large-scale "Walking Man" event to happen near Harper's Ferry.

Canada Goose
02-03-2010, 00:13

How about a "WALKING MAN" week long celebration in Harper's Ferry in mid summer, about the time most thru hikers arive?

Former thru hikers, trail workers, trail goods vendors, and just plain kid and families might be intrested.

And, of course, you'll need a big Walking Man effigy/wood statue as the centerpiece, perhaps to be dismembered and burned at the closing bonfire.

Eric
:sun

In 1999 I walked north out of Harpers Ferry, slam dunk into a "Festival" hosted by Miss Janet, and her girls, at Gathland S.P. We had a celibration, no doubt!

There were thru hikers, a few trail workers probably, but no vendors. and we had a blast.

There was a campfire, but no dismembering. At least, I don't think so...

Something to keep in mind; it was 105 degrees that day heading out of town. I rested in the shade every 15 minutes, and kept my fluid levels up to avoid heat stroke. The Oasis provided by Miss J. is something I will never forget. Thank you Janet!

Oh, and then Blue Moon shows up at dusk with ice cream :)

This all, on my first day out of town.

weary
02-03-2010, 12:48
Good luck having a gathering, much less a bonfire anywhere near Harper's Ferry. The NPS won't even let me pull up my kayak so I can spend some money in their town. They like to keep the riff raff out.
When I walked through town in 1993, the park service had allowed a reenactment of a Civil War battle. I don't remember whether it was a confederate or a northern victory.

Chaco Taco
02-03-2010, 15:11
arent there enough trail festivals for NOBO's?
Hiker Bash- Franklin, NC
Dam Festival- Fontana, NC
Trailfest- Hot Springs, NC
Traildays- Damascus, VA
Long Trail Festival- Rutland, VT
Trails End Festival- Millinocket, ME

And this isnt including all of the various small "feeds" that occur. Maybe need to start thinking of the "impact" of these festivals and feeds.

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 15:22
Hiker Bash- Franklin, NC
Traildays- Damascus, VA

And this isnt including all of the various small "feeds" that occur. Maybe need to start thinking of the "impact" of these festivals and feeds.

Don't forget the off season Rucks as well.

BobTheBuilder
02-03-2010, 16:08
Hiker Bash- Franklin, NC
Traildays- Damascus, VA

Along the lines of Baltimore Jack's resupply article, it could be a schedule of days and miles going NOBO in order to hit each and every festival along the way. There could be an official kickoff date and a rigid structure of daily miles, stopping points, etc.

DrRichardCranium
02-03-2010, 16:27

Eric
:sun If you burn him at the end, then it would just be another Burning Man celebration.

If you're going to call it "Walking Man" then you should make him walk. Possible rig up some robotics there. At the end of the celebration just flick the switch & let him walk away into the sunset.

Alternatively: Rig up a tank of gas & a tape recorder inside him.

At the end of the Walking Man Celebration you lay him down in a shelter where he snores & releases gas all night long.

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 16:45
If you burn him at the end, then it would just be another Burning Man celebration.

If you're going to call it "Walking Man" then you should make him walk. Possible rig up some robotics there. At the end of the celebration just flick the switch & let him walk away into the sunset.

Alternatively: Rig up a tank of gas & a tape recorder inside him.

At the end of the Walking Man Celebration you lay him down in a shelter where he snores & releases gas all night long.

Wouldn't that make it the Farting Man?

Lion King
02-04-2010, 00:51
A short list of why Harpers Ferry will never have a week long fest in the dead of summer, and/or reasons why hikers cant attend.

1. Local police

2. the Park service

3. EVERYTHING in HF is so over priced its sickening.

4. limited affordable lodging and eateries.

5. no long term tenting or parking (save for the KOA, which would be a good place for it if they didnt make all hikers stay in the mudpit)

on the plus side, Ron and Laura and Jester all rock.