PDA

View Full Version : 3 person tent

im lost
02-03-2010, 02:07
After 20 plus years I have to retire my trusty old timberline 4 last trip it needed gorilla tape on the fly and safety pins to keep rear window closed.
I have been looking at 3 person tents and so far the front runners are sierra designs lightning xt3 and big agnes lynx pass 3 both roughly 6 lb. tents.
Primarily used for winter hiking in western half of virginia only carried when there is two or more people to share the weight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BrianLe
02-03-2010, 02:28
What are you looking to optimize in this purchase and how do you prioritize among ... weight, 4-season vs. 3-season, free-standing or not, single-wall vs. double-wall, cost, perhaps other features such as multiple doors, total sheltered space (tent plus vestibule(s), durability ...

I think it's pretty tough for anyone to make a (good) recommendation (for you) without knowing baseline stuff like this.

im lost
02-03-2010, 02:44
1.durability 2.weight 3. total covered area
double walled,3 or 4 season,neutral on multiple doors,free standing

im lost
02-03-2010, 02:58
oops forgot a couple things 500 dollars or less and no bright colors

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 02:59
4 Pounds, 4 Person, 4 Seasonhttp://tarptent.com/photos/hogbacksideview.jpg

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 02:59
Tarptent Hogback

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 03:00
$375.00 Dollars

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 03:03
4 Person, 4 Pounds, 4 Season, Double Wall, $375.00

http://tarptent.com/photos/hogbacksideview.jpg

Tarptent Hogback http://tarptent.com/products.html

BrianLe
02-03-2010, 03:20
The Tarptent Hogback looks like a good option to me too, with the possible exception of durability. The top two prioritized factors are in some tension with each other --- it's difficult to get a really durable tent that isn't pretty heavy and vice versa.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "durability" (!). If you just mean that it can last a lot of years with reasonable care, the Hogback is a nice choice. If you instead mean that you can use it (and abuse it) hard and it will stand up to any kind of treatment, then you'll want a tent made of tougher material, and just accept the weight penalty. I personally have little experience with that sort of tent; a local REI store or the like might be a good place to look around (REI in particular given how good they are at taking gear back if flawed or premature wear or whatever).

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 03:27
Henry Shires does make an awesome product, And stands behind them.
You can't go wrong with one of his tents, I have yet to read a bad review.

Jim Adams
02-03-2010, 19:17
Kelty Gunnison 3. Weight is right around 6 lbs., has 2 doors, 2 vestibules, 3 season, fast set-up and will last years...good quality construction....you can find them on ebay for around $175-$250 if you look hard enough.
I've owned the 2 man, 3 man and 4 man and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

geek

Tinker
02-03-2010, 19:27
Re: The Hogback. For a single pole tent there's the problem of snow loading. I have a Hilleberg Akto (1 person, same general design), and when a heavy snow falls on it it tends to collapse the tent unless it's knocked off. I imagine on a tent with a wider, flatter roof it would be more of a "problem". The reason I put quotes around "problem" is that it's not a problem unless you're not around to knock it off. Wind-wise, my Akto is tight as a drum and as strong as the staking.
Re: Staking - In heavy weather a "freestanding" tent is as susceptible to wind damage as a non-freestanding tent if it isn't staked securely.

im lost
02-04-2010, 00:22
snow and ice are concerns due to my job 90 percent of my hiking trips are november thru april in the summer i am lucky to get in day hikes.

skinewmexico
02-04-2010, 01:44
REI Arete? I'd also say REI Quarterdome T3, but I don't know about the snow thing. Personally, I just use my Tarptents, they're light and durable. But I hate to think I'd be stuck with a tent for 20 years.

buz
02-04-2010, 17:31
another vote for kelty tents, the teton 4 model. We have had good results with them in our scout troop over the long haul. Not the lightest, nor the heaviest, but good value IMO. Also good compromise, shape wise for winter and summer camping.

brooklynkayak
02-04-2010, 21:29
Kelty Gunnison 3. Weight is right around 6 lbs., has 2 doors, 2 vestibules, 3 season, fast set-up and will last years...good quality construction....you can find them on ebay for around $175-$250 if you look hard enough.

If you don't have a problem carrying that much weight.
I can't go as far, so for people like me, luckily, there are other options.

My current 3 person tent weighs 2.5 lbs. My solo tent with all the extras weighs 1.3 lbs.

I understand the importance of durability, but i'd rather deal with some maintenance than carry that much weight.

brooklynkayak
02-04-2010, 21:33
snow and ice are concerns due to my job 90 percent of my hiking trips are november thru april in the summer i am lucky to get in day hikes.

You are a good candidate for a pyramid shelter. Snow and ice slides to the ground and the weight doesn't break tent poles.

Look into the Mountain Laurel Designs Mid series, the Golite Shngri-la's, Oware and other pyramid/tipi designs and many more.

Domes can collect snow, putting pressure on the tent poles. I know that many manufacturers claim 4 season ratings on their dome tents, but the price is heavy strong tent poles and unnecessary weight.

jcramin
02-05-2010, 11:46
I've owned the 2 man, 3 man and 4 man and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

geek

I have Kelty Gunnison3.1 tent for my son and I and I have to say its an amazing tent. It has plenty of room for both us and all our gear, year round.

J

lazy river road
02-05-2010, 12:29
Marmot Aura 3p, bomb proff tent but color is by no means stealthy, its the bright orange marmot color, but boy is it so roomy inside, those 90 degree angles at the corner really open it up wide and maxiumize'sspace

im lost
02-21-2010, 02:29
Thanks for all the help got me looking at options I have not considered before. tarptent etc. I will post the winner when i figure it out.

mister krabs
02-21-2010, 08:39
also check the specs on the alps mountaineering zephyr 3. It compares very favorably on quality weight and specs to MSR, BA, SD and other bigger name tents at half the cost. I love mine.