PDA

View Full Version : Duncannon toWind Gap Camping?

joedannajr
02-03-2010, 08:54
I friend and I are going to section between Duncannon PA and Wind Gap PA this May. We have 10 days for the trip. The shelters look to be oddly spaced, some being about 19 miles appart. Does anyone have any suggestions about camping areas in this section or anyother thoughts.
Much appreciated
PapaJoe

emerald
02-03-2010, 09:24
You may find more detailed information related to privately-owned campgrounds and dispersed camping than you have already found on your own by clicking on the link at the bottom and the white blazes.

More than 1/2 of the area in question is State Game Lands. I'll edit and post some related links later.

joedannajr
02-03-2010, 13:08
Thanks Emerald but I have been to all the conventional places. I'm looking for first hand information. Kind of out of the box thinking.
Thanks Again

ki0eh
02-03-2010, 13:30
Link to info (http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2869)

tiptoe
02-03-2010, 13:51
When I hiked the AT in PA (DWG to Duncannon), I found numerous trailside campsites, suitable for tent or hammock camping, and complete with fire circle. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe one or two per mile traveled. Some were right on the trail, some off a discreet distance.

Yahtzee
02-03-2010, 13:57
Here's a few I can think of offhand.

Not much for camping between Duncannon and Peters Mt. Shelter. There is a nice spot under the powerline just past Rt 225 but no water and plenty of hooligans on the weekends.

At the top of the climb past Rt 325 there is a nice camping spot where the AT intersects with the Horseshoe Trail. Gotta bring water up from the spring/creek around the road.

Yellow Springs Village campsite has ample camping. And, although it is not listed in my Data Book, there is always plenty of water to be had on that ridge.

The campsite right before the Rausch Gap shelter is a beaut. Nice bed of needles, big open space, next to a creek. Great spot.

Past that, there isn't much camping for a while until you hit the Hertlein Campsite. If you are feeling adventurous head down the side trail off to the right for nice camping next to water.

After that it is slim pickins. The New Tripoli Campsite past Rt 309 is a decent spot. However, it is down a nice little hill and can be buggy.

Bake Oven Knob is a fantastic spot, if not too overworn. Tho, this spot has car access and can be frequented by locals partying. Get to see the sunrise and sunset from vistas on either side of the trail.

Lastly, if can, I recommend staying atop the ridge out of Palmerton. This will require quite the water haul, but if you can do that, it is well worth it. Just a really odd place to be and you get an entirely different sensation being out in it over night.

Not the best camping in PA, but I managed to hike the entire state without staying in a shelter so there must be some to be had.

Good luck and have fun.

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 14:09
I friend and I are going to section between Duncannon PA and Wind Gap PA this May. We have 10 days for the trip. The shelters look to be oddly spaced, some being about 19 miles appart. Does anyone have any suggestions about camping areas in this section or anyother thoughts.
Much appreciated
PapaJoe

There are some beautiful spots just off the trail between Lehigh Gap and Wind Gap, many of which have fire pits (even though they shouldn't be there, once there's an existing fire pit, I have no qualms about using it).

Leroy Smith shelter is small, but there are good flat areas nearby, seperate from the shelter. The water source is pretty far, down hill (about .5 miles), because the first source (last summer- may be different with more rain) was dry, the second was just a tiny trickle of water, but the third is worth it. Beautiful cold water, and plenty of it. Have fun!

joedannajr
02-03-2010, 17:19
Thanks to all. This is reall going to make the going much easier.
Hike On
PapaJoe

harryfred
02-04-2010, 07:01
There are some beautiful spots just off the trail between Lehigh Gap and Wind Gap, many of which have fire pits (even though they shouldn't be there, once there's an existing fire pit, I have no qualms about using it).

Leroy Smith shelter is small, but there are good flat areas nearby, seperate from the shelter. The water source is pretty far, down hill (about .5 miles), because the first source (last summer- may be different with more rain) was dry, the second was just a tiny trickle of water, but the third is worth it. Beautiful cold water, and plenty of it. Have fun!
I may need to camp before I reach Leroy Smith shelter, During my section hike this spring. You are saying I should have no trouble finding a camp site. Are there any water sources between George W. Outerbridge and Leroy Smith.