PDA

View Full Version : tuffiest s.o.b ever to do the trail

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 09:36
what is the heaviest pack anyone has ever heard doing the thru hike?

:-?

kanga
02-03-2010, 09:44
without learning a lesson and lightening it? minnie smith.

Gray Blazer
02-03-2010, 09:52
Hey! He needed all that TP!!

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 09:54
i'm kinda looking for a weight my pack weighs about 53lbs. am i an idiot? or just over prepaired. i plan on bounceing some of my material after the smokies. but figured the extra stuff would keep me warm.

leaving feb. 21, cant wait

Pedaling Fool
02-03-2010, 10:06
i'm kinda looking for a weight my pack weighs about 53lbs. am i an idiot? or just over prepaired. i plan on bounceing some of my material after the smokies. but figured the extra stuff would keep me warm.

Be prepared to get flamed by a bunch of gram-weenies on this website and on the trail. I normally carry ~60lbs because I don't give one bit of consideration to weight when I purchase something and because I like to NOT stop in towns every 3-5 days.

In the beginning it did take some getting use to, but I just choose to ignore the initial discomfort and it went away. And now I always feel strong after a long-distance hike. You can really feel it walking without the pack.

BTW, I don't care one bit about how much one decides to carry, but I do like calling them names such as "gram-weenies", because of all the lecturing I've received.:D

Maddog
02-03-2010, 10:16

i'm training with a 50lb pack, but i plan on a 30-35lb pack weight for my thru attempt at the end of the month. hyoh! :) MADDOG

BobTheBuilder
02-03-2010, 10:31
Instead of referring to pack weight, I prefer to think of it as your total weight "from the ground up." Isn't that what really matters? I'm about 285 lbs with me and the loaded pack.

JAK
02-03-2010, 10:34
I'm training with 50 pounds of body fat.

Stir Fry
02-03-2010, 10:38
Be prepared to get flamed by a bunch of gram-weenies on this website and on the trail. I normally carry ~60lbs because I don't give one bit of consideration to weight when I purchase something and because I like to NOT stop in towns every 3-5 days.

In the beginning it did take some getting use to, but I just choose to ignore the initial discomfort and it went away. And now I always feel strong after a long-distance hike. You can really feel it walking without the pack.

BTW, I don't care one bit about how much one decides to carry, but I do like calling them names such as "gram-weenies", because of all the lecturing I've received.:D

Nothing wrong with 60lb. if you have a pack that can carry it. If the pack was made for 40lb it sucks.

Lostone
02-03-2010, 10:41
I get the biggest kick out of all these UL guys who are 50 lbs or better over weight. Instead of spending a grand getting your big three sub 9 pounds. Spend a few extra evenings in the park or trail, just say no to that big mac at lunch, or that 10,000 calorie santa fe chicken salad.

The easiest and least expensive weight savings is the person. You can shed an entire pack off in body weight.

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 10:42
Instead of referring to pack weight, I prefer to think of it as your total weight "from the ground up." Isn't that what really matters? I'm about 285 lbs with me and the loaded pack.

i just thru my pack on and jumped on the scales. i'm about the same.

__________________________________________________ __

i see a mountain or two lets see whats on the otherside; my mom

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 10:43
I get the biggest kick out of all these UL guys who are 50 lbs or better over weight. Instead of spending a grand getting your big three sub 9 pounds. Spend a few extra evenings in the park or trail, just say no to that big mac at lunch, or that 10,000 calorie santa fe chicken salad.

The easiest and least expensive weight savings is the person. You can shed an entire pack off in body weight.

somewhat new what does "UL guys" mean?

Turtle Feet
02-03-2010, 10:48
somewhat new what does "UL guys" mean?

ultra-light

Many Walks
02-03-2010, 10:49

The Georgia hills will get you thinking about the extra weight and things you really don't need. You'll most likely be looking to swing into the Suches PO or at least holding out to Neels Gap to send some of it back. Between the two, thousands of lbs. of gear are sent back every year from the "tuffest sob's" on the trail. Good luck and enjoy your hike!

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 10:51
ultra-light
after i sent that i figured it out. :datz:datz:datz
thanks. boy i'm to slow with these abreviations.
you can tell i'm from kentucky. lol.

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 10:55
The Georgia hills will get you thinking about the extra weight and things you really don't need. You'll most likely be looking to swing into the Suches PO or at least holding out to Neels Gap to send some of it back. Between the two, thousands of lbs. of gear are sent back every year from the "tuffest sob's" on the trail. Good luck and enjoy your hike!

thanks. i hope i can hold on to most of my stuff until the smokies though. i'm leaving feb21. and figure it's gonna be cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-K
02-03-2010, 10:58
Honestly, I don't think I could hike with a pack that weighed over 40 lbs. I mean physically I could do it and all but it would suck all the fun out of hiking.

I could carry a heavy pack (50-60 lbs) for a short distance if it had a purpose like carrying stuff to a party like Mags but to take off on a long hike with 40+ lbs is a non-starter for me.

JustaTouron

Don't feel too bad. First time I saw UL on the forum it was in a thread regarding a DIY (do it yourself) headlamp. I was temped to point out that it is not Underwriter Laboratory approved on a homemade lamp. (the org that certifies most electrical devices sold in the USA) But I figured it out before I posted.

sasquatch2014
Ultra Light

I am by no means an Ultra Light. I was glad to see that my pack when we stopped at the ATC office in Boiling Springs only weighted in at 37lbs but that was without any water and down to just 2 days of food. You will see some folks say that your max pack weight should be a ratio to your body weight. Like 20% of your body weight so if you are 100lbs a 20lbs pack weight. I think that this sucks because I am a big guy and so my pack weight would be up there.

Do what works for you and makes you happy. If you are one of those people who has to read every night you will have books. It adds weight but will it add to your enjoyment on the trail? If it does toss them in there.

DawnTreader
02-03-2010, 11:02
I've carried Sherpa, 60 +lb loads as a guide, and I've carried "gram weenie" light as hell loads on long distnaces; My preference??? right smack in the middle... 30 Lbs.
In my experience, being a "little" person, 5'6, 130 lb., my sherpa loads may or may not have contributed to the hyperextension in my right knee, and the scar tissue built up on the bottom of my foot... The point? Heavy loads; +45lb, may be detrimental to the success of a long distance hike. I've seen people finish the trail with big loads, but the majority of the stories you hear on the trail are of people who begin with huge loads and quickly discard until managable. There is no formula for "managable," just remember that you will have to carry that _______ for ______ miles, and that just may be the difference between a succesful long distance hike or a re-evaluation of your vacation time due to injury.

Turtle Feet
02-03-2010, 11:09
thanks. i hope i can hold on to most of my stuff until the smokies though. i'm leaving feb21. and figure it's gonna be cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you much luck Whistle, you'll be just fine - are you keeping a trail journal anywhere online?

DavidNH
02-03-2010, 11:09
any of you folks remember a character by the name of Gary? I met him when thru hiking in 2006. He said his pack weighed between 80-100 pounds (those who tried to lift the pack believe it!). I do remember that he even carried a full size lap top. Don't remember what he had for a camera but I suspect it was not some pocket point and shoot!

Now I don't know if he made it all the way but I know he got at least past Glen Cliff!

DavidNH

For the record, I never carried over 55 lbs (that was with a full week of food) and was usually in the low 40's.

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 11:22
I wish you much luck Whistle, you'll be just fine - are you keeping a trail journal anywhere online?
sorry not that educated don't know how to even start a online journal. just plan on writing in a journal on the trail.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

remember i'm from kentucky....

lol.

Kerosene
02-03-2010, 11:28
Better to start over-prepared than under-prepared, and pretty much anyone can lug 25-35% of their body weight for 10 miles. However, once you gain some more experience and get the hang of things, a lighter pack will put less stress on your body, let you climb those hills a little easier, and let you repeat day after day after day.

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 11:36
yeah your thinking like me i would hate to think i forgot something and it be essential to my survival in the cold

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 11:52

Go for it! Carry whatever you want or think you may need, you can always send it home. (It's better to have extra warm things that you don't need, than not enough warm clothing and freeze)

When I last weighed my pack (with fuel, but not food or water), it was 25 pounds- don't know how it happened! (And that's including a couple "extra" and "unnecessary" things.) I may add a couple things. I'd rather carry a few extra pounds and be comfortable in camp, than have a slightly less heavy pack during the day, but skimp on camp comforts.

And don't let people tell you what you want to bring. Advice is great, like "I found I didn't need this", or "you may want to consider bringing/not bringing x ", but I hate when people say "you don't want to bring this".

icemanat95
02-03-2010, 11:52
I started at Amicalola with 74 pounds or so. I had culled about 8 pounds off of that at Neels Gap. I eventually got things down to the 40-50 pound range.

I think Possum (95) had about 90 pounds or so in a dana Designs AstralPlane.

Beorn started in 1995 with well over 100 pounds in his pack.

In 1995 the ultralight thing really hadn't hit yet, so a 40-60 pound pack wasn't that unusual depending upon the size of the hiker.

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 11:53
But once I switch out my winter gear for summer things, I'm going to need to buy a smaller, lighter pack, because it'll really be lightweight.

jersey joe
02-03-2010, 12:01
When I started my thru hike my pack weighed in at about 65lbs.
http://www.joealaya.com/appalachiantrailthruhike/images/p317a.jpg

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 12:13
i have a outside frame pack and have found that it is heavier but i have alot of places to hook more gear on the outside. so i think thats why my pack is 60+lbs. but thanks 4 the boost guys and gals. i hope i meet some of you nice people on the trail and learn more tips and tricks. i plan on staying over supplied and avoiding towns as much as possible. i'm tuff enough to make do hopefully thanks for the confidence see on the trail.

Jim Adams
02-03-2010, 12:28
1990 Mule arrived on Springer with a 101 lb. pack (hence the trail name). He was talked into sending the things home that he didn't need and actually got his pack down into the 70# range after sending home the Rambo knife, hatchet, machette, gun, pepper spray and tazur.

geek

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 12:33
1990 Mule arrived on Springer with a 101 lb. pack (hence the trail name). He was talked into sending the things home that he didn't need and actually got his pack down into the 70# range after sending home the Rambo knife, hatchet, machette, gun, pepper spray and tazur.

geek

gosh, was this guy scared of the woods or wanted by the law? lol.:D

John B
02-03-2010, 12:47
Perhaps you could post your gear list so that we could see what 60-70 lbs looks like on paper?

Mags
02-03-2010, 12:52
something and because I like to NOT stop in towns every 3-5 days.

Not sure what lightweight has to do with frequent town stops.

On the PCT, my basepack weight was 13 lbs, and I stopped in town once in 10 days for the High Sierra.

On the CT is was about 10 lbs, and I had an 8 day food carry.

On the CDT, it was 9 lbs, and I also did an 8 day food carry.

On a recent San Juan trip, I carried 7 days of food to avoid having to hitch.

So, go heavy if you want (who gives a crap?), but personally I go light so I can carry more food and go in town less.

Deadeye
02-03-2010, 12:55
Not a gram weenine here, but I weigh every item I have, and usually opt to take the lightest item with me. For example: I probably have 15 knives weighing from an ounce to a pound, and I almost always take the one-ounce SAK with a 1.5" blade and scissors. I also have multiple fleeces and sweaters, weighing from 10 ounces to 2 pounds. The 2-pounders stay at home and the 10 -ouncer goes in the pack. There's an 8 ounce difference between my heaviest and lightest LongJohns.

Make these simple choices with all your gear and you can still carry what you want, but knock a whole bunch of pounds off your back.

Put the other way: if you don't know what each item of your gear weighs, you can wind up carrying a lot of extra weight with no added benefit.

CrumbSnatcher
02-03-2010, 12:59
just because you carry a heavy pack, doesn't mean your a tough S.O.B
it just means you carry alot.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2010, 13:06

could mean you're a dumb S.O.B.

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 13:07
it just means you carry alot.

True- especially because some people with heavy packs whine a lot.

CrumbSnatcher
02-03-2010, 13:13
it could wolf! i've been known to carry a little bit more than most, but i carried my dogs gear and food
but never complained about it. loved my little slackpacker!!!

garlic08
02-03-2010, 13:30
On Katahdin I met a thru-hiker who boasted that his pack weighed 70 pounds at Springer and it weighed 70 pounds on Katahdin. Obviously strong as a mule, and stubborn as one, too. So sure, it can be done with a heavy pack. Good luck with yours.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2010, 13:30
it could wolf! i've been known to carry a little bit more than most, but i carried my dogs gear and food
but never complained about it. loved my little slackpacker!!!

i wasn't referring to you :)

Lone Wolf
02-03-2010, 13:32
slackpackin' katahdin on a thru-hike is a weenie thing to do

CrumbSnatcher
02-03-2010, 13:33
i wasn't referring to you :)
i know!
sometimes im not the sharpest tool in the shed.:D

GeneralLee10
02-03-2010, 13:34
I may add a couple things. I'd rather carry a few extra pounds and be comfortable in camp, than have a slightly less heavy pack during the day, but skimp on camp comforts.

My thought on that is from my experiences. Your hiking all day in GA, you get to camp and your arse is done. All your going to wanna do is eat and crash, especially carrying a heavy load. Why risk an injury at the start due to a "HEAVY" load. I know clothing is very important for warmth, but not all the what I call unneeded items. Not sure about others, but do not think there will be much time spent at camp unless you setup around 1pm or 2pm everyday.

JustaTouron
02-03-2010, 13:37

I am planning on slackpackin all but a couple hundred miles.

kanga
02-03-2010, 13:51
*snort*

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. STUPID...

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 13:54
I may add a couple things. I'd rather carry a few extra pounds and be comfortable in camp, than have a slightly less heavy pack during the day, but skimp on camp comforts.

My thought on that is from my experiences. Your hiking all day in GA, you get to camp and your arse is done. All your going to wanna do is eat and crash, especially carrying a heavy load. Why risk an injury at the start due to a "HEAVY" load. I know clothing is very important for warmth, but not all the what I call unneeded items. Not sure about others, but do not think there will be much time spent at camp unless you setup around 1pm or 2pm everyday.

Yep, but that's you, not me. I know from my experience what I like.

On my last three week section, I was very glad to have my in camp comforts, and would not have gotten rid of them. (Anyway, my pack isn't exactly heavy, I'm just carrying a few extras) I love my "un-needed" items. :)

GeneralLee10
02-03-2010, 13:58

On my last three week section, I was very glad to have my in camp comforts, and would not have gotten rid of them. (Anyway, my pack isn't exactly heavy, I'm just carrying a few extras) I love my "un-needed" items. :)

Your a firecracker!:D I was not trying to single you or anyone out was just making a statement.:) Sorry :sun

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 14:00
Nah, no offense taken! :) Just pointing out that I would rather have a couple extra pounds and not skimp on in camp stuff- planty of people would not.

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 14:00
Meant plenty, not planty. (Invasion of the body snatchers....)

Pedaling Fool
02-03-2010, 14:07

On the PCT, my basepack weight was 13 lbs, and I stopped in town once in 10 days for the High Sierra.

On the CT is was about 10 lbs, and I had an 8 day food carry.

On the CDT, it was 9 lbs, and I also did an 8 day food carry.

On a recent San Juan trip, I carried 7 days of food to avoid having to hitch.

So, go heavy if you want (who gives a crap?), but personally I go light so I can carry more food and go in town less.
Well I know I'm not tough, so I guess that makes me a dumb S.O.B.;)

Toolshed
02-03-2010, 14:11
i know!
sometimes im not the sharpest tool in the shed.:D
You referring to me????? Them's a fightin' words :datz:datz:datz

Toolshed
02-03-2010, 14:21
i have a outside frame pack and have found that it is heavier but i have alot of places to hook more gear on the outside. so i think thats why my pack is 60+lbs. but thanks 4 the boost guys and gals. i hope i meet some of you nice people on the trail and learn more tips and tricks. i plan on staying over supplied and avoiding towns as much as possible. i'm tuff enough to make do hopefully thanks for the confidence see on the trail.

Whistle, I am not a gram wheenie and I don't lecture people on the weight of their gear. What I wasn't sure of is what your experience level is? You mention hooking more gear to the outside of your pack. Colin Fletcher ("The Complete Walker") referred to this once as having Gear festooned from your back. This makes walking fast, or up and downhill a little more tricky, as well as in areas that require intricate footwork (such as bending and leaping for footplacements. All that gear festooning from your pack will knock you off the center of gravity.
I once watched a newbie in the Dacks about a mile from the TH in the early 90's with a large canteen slung over one side of the frame and a pair of sneakers laced together, slung over the other side. Every time he bent over or took a large step or stepped down, he was wacked in the head by either the swinging sneakers or the swinging canteen. I followed behind him for about 3-4 minutes and then passed him - I hoped the folks he was with would explain a better way to pack his gear before the end of the his trip.

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 14:29
Also, if something is swinging from your pack (and not properly strapped down), it doubles the weight.

(Example- your thermarest doesn't fit, so you roll it up and tie string around it, then hook it to your pack, where it hangs loosely. It'll feel like two thermarests instead of one, because of the bouncing. So strap it down really tightly, and it'll feel much better.)

max patch
02-03-2010, 14:35
Heaviest doesn't mean toughest.

I'd say Earl Shaffer would be the toughest considering the condition of the trail when he did his first hike.

Remember a couple years ago when Coup carried approx 130 pounds from Springer to Neels. Something like 15 pounds base weight and the rest food.

10-K
02-03-2010, 14:41
I once watched a newbie in the Dacks about a mile from the TH in the early 90's with a large canteen slung over one side of the frame and a pair of sneakers laced together, slung over the other side. Every time he bent over or took a large step or stepped down, he was wacked in the head by either the swinging sneakers or the swinging canteen. I followed behind him for about 3-4 minutes and then passed him - I hoped the folks he was with would explain a better way to pack his gear before the end of the his trip.

When I hiked through GSMNP I pass a guy that had 2 canteens, a full sized axe and a big camcorder case strapped to his pack. The canteens and camcorders were swinging wildly from side to side as he walked.

From behind all you could see were his legs.. Everything from his butt to over his head was pack. It was simply amazing.

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 14:43

I agree Shelp and your bunny slippers just make camp seem so much more cozy. I want to get a pair myself.:D

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 14:54
They were so comfy! Love those slippers. Those slippers and that new mug I got make my in camp time so much better!!!

Mags
02-03-2010, 15:18
Well I know I'm not tough, so I guess that makes me a dumb S.O.B.;)

You were giving some less-than-accurate info. :sun
Doesn't make you dumb..but misinformed. ;)

jersey joe
02-03-2010, 15:29
I agree. Carry your pack the whole way. But also think the same about taking blue blazing around mountains along the way.

kayak karl
02-03-2010, 15:38
Hey! He needed all that TP!!
wasn't there cans of spinach involved?:)

kanga
02-03-2010, 15:49
wasn't there cans of spinach involved?:)
and some cuttlefish.

Jack Tarlin
02-03-2010, 16:30
He wasn't thru-hiking, but the biggest pack I ever saw on the A.T. belonged to Demetri Coupounas, the founder of GoLite, who hiked into Neel Gap from Springer with a pack that weighed 132 pounds (it was a bit heavier when he left Springer).

I put the thing on and walked it 70 yards into the store and it damned near killed me.

I habitually carry a big pack but this was ridiculous.

This was also the biggest pack "shakedown" at Neel Gap and the largest UPS mailout in their history. The whole precedure was kinda fun to watch.

On the other hand, I came away with a new-found respect for the durability of GoLite packs.

JustaTouron
02-03-2010, 16:36
Why was the founder of go light carrying a pack that was the very opposite of going light?

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 16:48
Why was the founder of go light carrying a pack that was the very opposite of going light?

The pack was really light just all the crap in it was heavy. I can see it now people using tarps for the light weight and then using old railroad spikes to stake it down.

max patch
02-03-2010, 16:52
He wanted to break some type of record by hiking 620 miles in 40 days without resupply. Changed his mind when he hit Neels.

JustaTouron
02-03-2010, 17:02
The pack was really light just all the crap in it was heavy. I can see it now people using tarps for the light weight and then using old railroad spikes to stake it down.

Titianum railroad spikes are what is needed.

Jack Tarlin
02-03-2010, 17:24
I don't know about breaking a record, as I don't know of any such "records." All I know is that he originally planned to hike "unsupported", i.e., without stopping to re-supply, for 40 days, so his pack contained,in addition to other gear, 40 large Ziplocks of food.

For various reasons, he decided to end his trip after 4 days, but the fact that he carried this thing for even 30 miles was pretty amazing to me......just getting it from the hiker hostel to the Outfitter store almost killed me; the idea of hauling that thing up and over Blood Mt. boggled the mind.

Also, I think he really wanted to put his stuff to a serious test, especially to counter critics over the years (who included me, by the way), that had publicly stated that his stuff was too lightly constructed to hold up well under tough and strenuous conditions.

I had a really good look at his pack when this thing was done, and this was a pack that nobody thought was any good for much over 30 poounds.

The pack was in great shape, despite being totally maxed out as far as its
original "specs".

GoLite's critics, including me, were dead wrong about the durability of their packs. I had no trouble saying this at the time and I have no trouble saying it now. Coup might not have wanted to go 40 days with this beast (and I sure don't blame him!) but I have no doubt that it could have been done, even with a liteweight pack.

Lucy Lulu
02-03-2010, 17:28
I had to go back and check my journal for details, but I still remember the 81 year old gentleman I met in the Sierras on the PCT.

I came around the corner to see the largest external frame pack I had ever seen, with 2 long skinny legs sticking out from beneath it, moving at a slow, methodical pace. I passed the man, and stopped to chat for a moment. He told me he had traveled around the world 6 times, and the Sierras were still the most beautiful place he had ever backpacked. He had an amazing presence, and I had to pull myself away.

A moment later I came across two younger men waiting alongside the trail. They asked if I had seen their grandfather. We chatted a minute (chatting often interferes with my mileage), and he walked up, and slowly began to tilt towards a large rock beside the trail. The men ran over, lowered him to the rock, and then removed the pack. It took both of them to remove this pack. I mean it was massive, really massive. I just watched in amazement.

As I watched him, and saw his joy at being out there, I remember wondering if I would be that happy with 100 lbs. on my back.

gravityman
02-03-2010, 18:58
Meant a sobo section hiker in 2005 at the shelter just north of Caledonia (the one with the flower pots) who was going as far as be could. Big guy with a bigger pack. He 'thought' it was more than 100lbs. It looked like more than that to me. When he asked if we needed anything from his pack to lighten his load, I said that we were running low on soap. He pulled out a full size Dawn bottle and said take as much as we want. He was blown away when we pulled out our small 1 oz bottle to refill!

Gravity

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 19:53
I met Tea Bag in 08 at the hostel just north of Harpers Ferry. I have a big pack and even I was amazed at the size of the pack this guy was carrying. This was not his first rodeo and he made the miles all the more power to him.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/8/9/9/frontroyal2harpers0094_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24213&c=663)

Caboose
02-03-2010, 20:55
Winter gear is bulky and heavy, so you should have more room in your pack by July. Pack as much as you can carry and afford. I'll be down to GA in May to pick it all up and sell it on E-bay to the the next wave of North migrators. lol

whistle dixie
02-03-2010, 23:51
Whistle, I am not a gram wheenie and I don't lecture people on the weight of their gear. What I wasn't sure of is what your experience level is? You mention hooking more gear to the outside of your pack. Colin Fletcher ("The Complete Walker") referred to this once as having Gear festooned from your back. This makes walking fast, or up and downhill a little more tricky, as well as in areas that require intricate footwork (such as bending and leaping for footplacements. All that gear festooning from your pack will knock you off the center of gravity.

my experience is very little on a trip longer than 48 miles. i live near mammoth cave national park in ky. it's not that big!

but i enjoy the outdoors i hook alot of my stuff on the outside but believe me nothing moves. i got so many straps on that thing i could bungie jump off of clingmans dome. i was mainly taking food. never liked going hungry when all you have to do is add a few grunts.

just a good ole boy making his way the only way he knows how

Jim Adams
02-04-2010, 00:18
gosh, was this guy scared of the woods or wanted by the law? lol.:D

He was from Dorville, Ga., only 27 years old, had started his own very successful business and needed a break. His FIRST night of camping EVER was on Springer...he thought that everyone would try to attack and rob him.:D

geek

whistle dixie
02-04-2010, 00:27
this will be my first time camping outside of kentucky, hek this will be the third time i've ever been out of kentucky

Doooglas
02-04-2010, 01:51
what is the heaviest pack anyone has ever heard doing the thru hike?

:-?
Probably me. in 1971.
That was long before "shuttles" to take you to Walmart and Red Lobster while in transit.
I carried about 60 lbs. There really wasn't anyone else around so I shot squirrels, doves, quail, and fished to supplement my meals.
I even took a turkey in VA. Laid up for 2 nights and smoked it to death.
Nice protein supplement for the following week.

I'm old...................:(

whistle dixie
02-04-2010, 02:22
Probably me. in 1971.
That was long before "shuttles" to take you to Walmart and Red Lobster while in transit.
I carried about 60 lbs. There really wasn't anyone else around so I shot squirrels, doves, quail, and fished to supplement my meals.

thats awesome i bet back in those days solitude was a whole different meaning than now days.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

old just means you learned from your mistakes the first times:rolleyes:

Powder River
02-04-2010, 02:29
Also, if something is swinging from your pack (and not properly strapped down), it doubles the weight.

(Example- your thermarest doesn't fit, so you roll it up and tie string around it, then hook it to your pack, where it hangs loosely. It'll feel like two thermarests instead of one, because of the bouncing. So strap it down really tightly, and it'll feel much better.)

I saw a guy on the approach trail with an extremely full, heavy looking pack. Apparently there was no room for the tent because he had what looked to be a 7 lb tent dangling from his waist belt, and it was hitting him in the shins with every step. Oh, and him and his lady were wearing cotton head to toe...

randyg45
02-04-2010, 08:45

What does lol mean?
I'm from WV.
(If you're from Loma Linda, WV means West by God Virginia) :welcome

whistle dixie
02-04-2010, 09:18
What does lol mean?
I'm from WV.
(If you're from Loma Linda, WV means West by God Virginia) :welcome

lol is short for lolly gagger, or lumps on landing,or level on loads,or
letting on letter.
oh heck i don't know, just sounds good and alot of people use it. just wanted to sound fancy.:confused::confused::)

Smoky in TN
02-04-2010, 17:12
I have hiked the trail carrying what I call "traditional gear", about 45-50 lbs. and I have hiked it using the UL concept, less than half of that weight. There is no doubt in my mind, which was the most enjoyable trip.
Don't be concerned with all the weight issues, carry what you want and enjoy being out there.

Old Hiker
02-04-2010, 17:36
lol is short for lolly gagger, or lumps on landing,or level on loads,or
letting on letter.
oh heck i don't know, just sounds good and alot of people use it. just wanted to sound fancy.:confused::confused::)

I'll bite - it means Laughing Out Loud. ROTFL - Rolling On the Floor Laughing - LMAO - Laughing My A@@ Off. Etc.

The kids use a lot of that stuff. Too lazy to type it all in, I'm guessing. I'm old. I don't wanna.

JustaTouron
02-04-2010, 17:58
What does lol mean?

Laughing out loud.

People use way too many TLAs on forums. It is hard to keep track of all of them.

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2010, 18:35
It is indeed hard to keep track of them.

For example, what the hell is a "TLA"?

JustaTouron
02-04-2010, 18:36
It is indeed hard to keep track of them.

For example, what the hell is a "TLA"?

It is a Three Letter Acronym.

superman
02-04-2010, 18:48
Probably me. in 1971.

LOL, yes you are.:D

Egads
02-04-2010, 19:27
tuffiest sob? What's the point of carrying a heavy pack? Bragging rights?

It doesn't cost any more to go UL than heavy; just leave the nonessential stuff at home.

paradoxb3
02-04-2010, 22:22

that sounds very cruel. :rolleyes:

Big Dawg
02-04-2010, 22:30
It is a Three Letter Acronym.

TLA... ***? That's TBS. :rolleyes:

Big Dawg
02-04-2010, 22:32
TLA... ***? That's TBS. :rolleyes:

Wow,,, big brother kept me from using... w t f?

whistle dixie
02-04-2010, 22:34
that sounds very cruel. :rolleyes:

sounds good like good eating to me :confused:

Big Dawg
02-04-2010, 22:36
censoring acronyms... too funny:rolleyes:

FaceplantOG
02-08-2010, 17:44
Its a mistake to think that your pack weight is not an issue for a thru-hike. I got a stress-fracture on my hip last year on my hike because I figured that I would be able to carry whatever I wanted because Im in shape. (Note: Do not consider carrying a full bottle of wine at any time by yourself!) Definately hike your own hike, but just be wary of how much weight your frame and body weight can carry.

Lyle
02-08-2010, 17:55
I've hiked with 45 - 60 lbs for years when I was younger. But the thing is, there is no need to anymore, and you don't HAVE to spend a fortune. All the equipment, even the cheap stuff comes in a more light-weight version now. Other than paying attention when you buy things, it's just resisting the temptation to throw in the kitchen sink because you MIGHT have to do dishes for the group some night.

To each their own, but just realize that there is no need to carry that kind of weight anymore, at least not on the AT.

Tuney
02-08-2010, 18:44
I've hiked with 45 - 60 lbs for years when I was younger. But the thing is, there is no need to anymore, and you don't HAVE to spend a fortune. All the equipment, even the cheap stuff comes in a more light-weight version now. Other than paying attention when you buy things, it's just resisting the temptation to throw in the kitchen sink because you MIGHT have to do dishes for the group some night.

To each their own, but just realize that there is no need to carry that kind of weight anymore, at least not on the AT.

I agree. I carried 45 LBS just 8 years ago on an Autumn adventure at Philmont. With only a few modifications, I'm down to under 30 LBS in my thru-hike pack this year. I could still squeeze out a couple of more pounds, but now it's getting expensive.

middle to middle
02-08-2010, 19:29
What is important, wine, beer, expresso machine, how much weight is left for food ?

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2010, 19:39
There might, in truth, not be a "need" to carry 45 pounds, but at the end of the day, people should carry what they want, and other folks should concentrate more on their OWN gear and journey rather than spending time debating or discussing what other folks are doing.

In short, like what you're packing and pack what you like.

That being said, yeah, I carry all sorts of things most folks don't, whether it's extra warm clothes, extra food, a second book, a flask, extensive maps and guidebooks, etc.

And funny thing.......hardly a day goes buy, especially early in the trip, that someone out there doesn't benefit from this, tho thankfully, this is the day they DON'T comment on the size or weight of my backpack. :D

But really, folks should carry whatever they damned please out there, and it's nobody else's concern or business.

Lyle
02-08-2010, 20:31

There might, in truth, not be a "need" to carry 45 pounds, but at the end of the day, people should carry what they want, and other folks should concentrate more on their OWN gear and journey rather than spending time debating or discussing what other folks are doing.

In short, like what you're packing and pack what you like.

That being said, yeah, I carry all sorts of things most folks don't, whether it's extra warm clothes, extra food, a second book, a flask, extensive maps and guidebooks, etc.

And funny thing.......hardly a day goes buy, especially early in the trip, that someone out there doesn't benefit from this, tho thankfully, this is the day they DON'T comment on the size or weight of my backpack. :D

But really, folks should carry whatever they damned please out there, and it's nobody else's concern or business.

Well Jack, He asked the question. If he didn't want folk's opinions, he probably wouldn't have. I noticed you got your opinion in in spite of chastising others for expressing their's. :D

leaftye
02-08-2010, 20:57

It has everything to do with it when people quote a weight with food and water. It becomes ridiculous when they say that weight is around 25 lbs. Hell, at times my water alone will weigh nearly 25 lbs.

Really all I want to hear about is what the heaviest load people expect their pack to weigh, either that, or the absolute lightest. The first is more meaningful to me since I know if I can be somewhat comfortable with my max load, I'll feel great when some of that weight comes off my back. The "absolute lightest" is much less meaningful because that is either a sign of poor planning or exquisite perfection....I don't think it's very wise for someone to plan to completely run out of water, food, toiletries, fuel, etc before their resupply.

Anyway, I believe my heaviest load will be about 45 lbs based on my training hikes. That's with heavy winter clothing, a heavy sleeping bag, a heavy bivy and oversized groundcloth. All those things will be put on a diet and be partially replaced with more food and a bear canister at times.

leaftye
02-08-2010, 21:06

Use exercise to keep your body warm as much as possible. If you're hiking, you can stay warm in light pants and a t-shirt in below freezing temps at night. Spend as little time out of your sleeping bag when you're in camp. This means eating shortly after and before you make camp. Keep your breaks short during the day and you won't cool off much. The only time you'll want or need your extra layers is when you first wake up to break camp and on zero/nero days. If nights are especially cold, stuff your clothing into your sleeping bag or wear it to bed.

I'm still experimenting with my setup, but I think I can stay nice and warm in low 20's with long underwear and lightweight puffy top & bottom layers, and maybe shells if it's windy. I had been experimenting with fleece, but fleece is really only needed if you're wearing them when you're active. Since I've found that I stay warm in minimal clothing so long as I'm moving, fleece seems to be unnecessary weight.

Anyway, this is what training trips are for. You still have a little bit of time to load up your pack and see how things work. I bet you'll find some warm clothing that you won't use. I'm not sure where you're located, but I bet the next few days will be a good example of worst case conditions.

JustaTouron
02-08-2010, 21:11
It has everything to do with it when people quote a weight with food and water. It becomes ridiculous when they say that weight is around 25 lbs. Hell, at times my water alone will weigh nearly 25 lbs.

Really all I want to hear about is what the heaviest load people expect their pack to weigh, either that, or the absolute lightest. The first is more meaningful to me since I know if I can be somewhat comfortable with my max load, I'll feel great when some of that weight comes off my back. The "absolute lightest" is much less meaningful because that is either a sign of poor planning or exquisite perfection....I don't think it's very wise for someone to plan to completely run out of water, food, toiletries, fuel, etc before their resupply.

There are two weight measurements.

Total Pack weight and base weight.

The reason why lots of people discuss base weight is it is realitively fixed for the entire trip (although people do shed, replace or add gear). Total pack weight varies greatly so it is hard to give a number as it could vary by twenty pounds just based on whether you need to fill your water bottles or just filled them up. Or if you are heading into town or heading out of town.

leaftye
02-08-2010, 21:26
I'm aware of those two terms. That's basically what I described. My point was that it makes no sense to list a "total pack weight" that doesn't include the maximum load of food and water that will be carried at any time on the trail. I mean, listed a 2 liter water load? Is water really that easy to find on the AT? If so, then by all means list that amount. That certainly isn't the case on the PCT.

Sumone86
02-12-2010, 23:59
During the military i weigh 170Ibs and march with a weight of 250Ibs plus. i could cover 30 miles no problem in a day. for the AT, a lot easer weight and miles. 170Ibs with a weight of around 200Ibs hiking. 30Ibs i could sprint with that, not that i would want to. i plan on hiking between 15 to 20 miles a day. not that i'm putting a time limit on myself.

ridgerunninrat81
02-26-2010, 00:18
In 81 "Dizzy" carried over 80 lbs out of Pearisburg. He had just received an extra large care package from home. Also he was carrying a banjo lashed to his pack. He complained for hours how heavy the pack was. In those days the hostel had a scale in it,His pack weighed over 80 lbs. No one could believe it. We hiked out of Pearisburg and headed of the the next shelter for the night. As we approached the shelter another 81 thru hiker "Vagrant" told me to hang back and let Dizzy arrive at the shelter first. Of Course I wondered why. About 5 minutes later I got my answer. "YOU GUYS $%$#$#$ S**K" echoed across the mountains. Vagrant had secretly slipped a 10lb bar bell weight into Dizzys pack! He carried over 90lbs!

Class2010AT
03-11-2010, 19:52
A buddy of mine completed his thru-hike last year, he was known as "top hat". I hiked with him from PA north and he was carrying 72 lbs per the trail concervency scales in boiling springs PA.

Hikingsasquatch
03-11-2010, 22:15
During my thru in '96, I started at Springer with about 60 pounds in early March. That year, the extra winter gear was a virtual necessity, as I experienced significant snowfalls into April. By New England, I was down to 35 pounds. The weight is somewhat relative to the suspension system of the pack. When I hiked 500+ with my wife in '99, she developed a hamstring injury on Blood Mountain, and my base 50 pounds (with 7 days of food for me) turned into about 80 pounds when I became her porter. My Gregory expedition pack made it bearable, though I often felt nearly overburdened. Now, I am down to about 40 pounds with 5 days of food and much happier. If you are starting a thru in the cold, I don't think 50 pounds is unreasonable, though you can definitely shave some weight. Take my word that you don't need a Sun Shower.

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2010, 22:33
I had a really good look at his pack when this thing was done, and this was a pack that nobody thought was any good for much over 30 poounds.

The pack was in great shape, despite being totally maxed out as far as its
original "specs".

GoLite's critics, including me, were dead wrong about the durability of their packs. I had no trouble saying this at the time and I have no trouble saying it now. Coup might not have wanted to go 40 days with this beast (and I sure don't blame him!) but I have no doubt that it could have been done, even with a liteweight pack.

How do you know he didn't blow out three packs between Springer and Neels Gap? He could have been carrying a half a dozen spare packs in there.

Rockhound
03-11-2010, 23:31
A buddy of mine completed his thru-hike last year, he was known as "top hat". I hiked with him from PA north and he was carrying 72 lbs per the trail concervency scales in boiling springs PA.
Yes, but 1/2 of that was beer. 72 pounds must have been right after he topped off. I'm sure it got lighter throughout the day.

Class2010AT
03-12-2010, 00:31
Yes, but 1/2 of that was beer. 72 pounds must have been right after he topped off. I'm sure it got lighter throughout the day.

That was after a resupply yes, and full water, but the extra pair of boots, the 4 or 5 books, and the full size guitar w hard case didn't help.

sasquatch2014
03-12-2010, 08:26
I was told a story about a couple that came into a shelter area and when the guy put down his pack it just had that deadening thump of a really heavy pack. They set up their tent and a little while latter folks heard the whine and sound of a fan. The guy had one of those big inflatable air mattresses like you would pull out for company and it was hooked up to a battery system to self inflate. I don't know the weight but I would say that it alone had to be close to 15 lbs.

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 17:50
i know this guy from the trail last year in maine, let's just say PP, who kept his food in a big plastic container inside his pack, had nothin but cotton (even jeans), a frisbee, a glass jar for his water bottle, and like several books....pack musta been 80 pounds.

however, when the nekkid girl was emerging from wadleigh stream pond on a chilly maine summer evening, guess who had a full-size terry towel and saved the day?? ;)

so ya never know

kanga
03-12-2010, 18:29
i know this guy from the trail last year in maine, let's just say PP, who kept his food in a big plastic container inside his pack, had nothin but cotton (even jeans), a frisbee, a glass jar for his water bottle, and like several books....pack musta been 80 pounds.

however, when the nekkid girl was emerging from wadleigh stream pond on a chilly maine summer evening, guess who had a full-size terry towel and saved the day?? ;)

so ya never know

nah, it was more than that cause after taking out all that crap that i cloud-blazed back to monson it was still 78 lbs..

wait. maybe i shouldn't have answered that.

Ox97GaMe
03-12-2010, 18:31
It can be done with a 50 lb pack. Mine was running close to that most of the way. I have since swapped out gear to get lighter. It was tough, and it takes some getting used to. Dont try to keep up with all the ultralighters when you first start out. Find your pace and settle in. you will catch up to the speed demons around Virginia most likely anyway. Too fast, too far, too heavy are what cause most hikers to get blisters and/or get off the trail. Plan on 8-10 miles per day max to start out. If your body feels good then you can push a little further. But you dont want to be kicking out 20s right away with that much weight. That would be a good way to get seriously injured.

Del Q
03-12-2010, 18:37
Big issue. My three cents. Carry what you like but my experience is that less is a lot more enjoyable. I also like doing without. Less food, less gear, less excess. It has helped me to enjoy the AT even more being a bit minimalist. Totally a personal choice, also, many UL's I have seen skip some of the really beautiful spots in exchange for speed & distance. When I go out I am going to enjoy myself and get away from all of the BS & speed of "life", and there is too much of that!

So I start with a 24 inch Philadelphia Hoagie and a "flask", on day three I am happy and down 4 1/2 pounds in the pack.........and a really nice way to start a hike. Hoagie weighs about 3 lbs.

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 18:52
It can be done with a 50 lb pack. Mine was running close to that most of the way. I have since swapped out gear to get lighter. It was tough, and it takes some getting used to. Dont try to keep up with all the ultralighters when you first start out. Find your pace and settle in. you will catch up to the speed demons around Virginia most likely anyway. Too fast, too far, too heavy are what cause most hikers to get blisters and/or get off the trail. Plan on 8-10 miles per day max to start out. If your body feels good then you can push a little further. But you dont want to be kicking out 20s right away with that much weight. That would be a good way to get seriously injured.

Big issue. My three cents. Carry what you like but my experience is that less is a lot more enjoyable. I also like doing without. Less food, less gear, less excess. It has helped me to enjoy the AT even more being a bit minimalist. Totally a personal choice, also, many UL's I have seen skip some of the really beautiful spots in exchange for speed & distance. When I go out I am going to enjoy myself and get away from all of the BS & speed of "life", and there is too much of that!

So I start with a 24 inch Philadelphia Hoagie and a "flask", on day three I am happy and down 4 1/2 pounds in the pack.........and a really nice way to start a hike. Hoagie weighs about 3 lbs.

i love non sequitur posts, like the kind where they dont even acknowledge the 'nekkid girl' mentioned previous

Rockhound
03-12-2010, 18:53

so ya never know
What kind of dope would hike with a pack that big. Guy can't be too bright. Just sayin'

Rockhound
03-12-2010, 18:56
i love non sequitur posts, like the kind where they dont even acknowledge the 'nekkid girl' mentioned previous
I remember that nekid girl. Saw her when I was gathering wood. No pun intended.

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 18:56
What kind of dope would hike with a pack that big. Guy can't be too bright. Just sayin'

yepperdoodle

randyg45
03-06-2011, 13:10
I'm training with 50 pounds of body fat.

Mine isn't body fat.
It's MPFS.

(man-portable food supply) :welcome

randyg45
03-06-2011, 13:15
Oh hell, no wd, you can't get away with that. I'm from West Virginia, and if we can each figure out how to post here, you can post on postholder.

Seriously, keep a journal and show em how nountain boys do it!

J5man
03-06-2011, 13:19

Hey WD, I see you are from my hometown! Go Hilltoppers! Also, another person on here, Bearpaw, also grew up in BG. You have a great store there to shop at; Nat's. I was in last month and stopped in. Anyway, safe travels!

randyg45
03-06-2011, 13:21
Yeah, I like to bring a cute cuddlefish, but I never carry her.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-06-2011, 14:09
each to their own weight-my packweight for 7 days with food water is 32 lbs thats my comfort level

Del Q
03-06-2011, 15:07
I will put my 3 cents in on a rainy Philadelphia day. Just finished packing for a 2 week section hike, to me this is a balance of comfort and just not talking things that I do not need. Am guessing that I will be in the 30-32 lb weight, all in with 3 days of food, full water bladder and some scotch.

Clothes - the great majority of the time I am hiking or in my sleeping bag, I am only taking one merino wool tee shirt, not two. No baseball cap, no reading glasses - can see pretty well without them, no maps this time - copies of trail companion, use back for my journal paper - no journal pad this hike, no stove / no cook mode - simpler and less weight, no cleaning up, there are a TON of no cook foods, heavy up on food in town, etc.

Lighter weight gear does cost money, I went to a Tarptent (34 oz) and use one of my hiking poles which lays around doing nothing at night anyway from a BA SL1, ULA pack vs a lightweight Kelty, lighter rain gear.

I get a LOT MORE enjoyment with a 30 lb pack than 42-52 lbs, its easy to throw numbers around but the AT is the toughest thing I have ever gone after physically. With a heavy pack those BIG UPS are ROUGH. To me, ever extra un-needed pound costs me pain and miles, the more I meet & speak with thru hikers the more I learn and less I need, or want.

Every pound on our bodies or on our backs is a 5:1 weight relationship on our knees, uphill and downhill is a 10:1 relationship.............am just recovering from knee surgery in late October.

Clearly personal choice - I like to be comfy and short of new gear/materials am pretty much in the range where I have found good, safe balance on the gear/weight side