PDA

View Full Version : vienna sasauges

crl2010
02-03-2010, 18:42
whop here take vienna sausages on the trail with them? i personally like the bar-b-q flavor

Tinker
02-03-2010, 19:17
I haven't tried anything but the originals. The only thing I like about them is that you can use the can they come in for an alky stove when it's empty. I'll try the barbeque flavor just so I can say I have, but I'd rather carry my meat dried.

Deadeye
02-03-2010, 19:46
They come in BBQ? Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys.

Mountain Wildman
02-03-2010, 19:48
When I was a kid we used to have Campbells Beans and Franks, I used to love the Franks especially, I don't think Campbells makes them anymore. The Vienna Sausages in BBQ sauce tastes just like the Franks.
I looked them up on Amazon.com and saved the page in my favorites. I will definitely be carrying them on my Thru in 2011.

Tuckahoe
02-03-2010, 20:12
Ummmm yeeeepppp... its all Yankees getting excited over "BBQ" Vienna Sausages.:-?

Yuk!

:p

mudhead
02-04-2010, 16:30
Ummmm yeeeepppp... its all Yankees getting excited over "BBQ" Vienna Sausages.:-?

Yuk!

:p

My Dad thinks those are elegant. I'm with you grit-boy. Yuk.

So how's the weather there? State of panic? Any TP left on the store shelves?

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2010, 16:34
Also known as kitten in a can. :eek:

When I leave town, I'd rather pack out real meat, and in that the Vienna variety costs more per pound than steak or boneless chicken, carrying this canned obscenity just doesn't make a lot of sense.

gravy4601
02-04-2010, 16:39
appetizers at a hill billy wedding :banana:banana

and yeah the BBQ is kinda good they also have some with jalapeno that i havent tryed

scope
02-04-2010, 16:42
carrying this canned obscenity just doesn't make a lot of sense.

That because its processed meat, or it looks phallic?

Personally, I love the things (um, that's the sausages), but my meat of choice is spam! :banana

Lone Wolf
02-04-2010, 16:43
my favorite on the trail http://ihatemymessageboard.com/2009/03/29/pork-brains-in-milk-gravy/

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2010, 16:48
Geez, Scope, if memory serves, a Vienna sausauge is about a quarter inch across and less than two inches long.

So, um, no. To most of us, this does not conjure up a phallic image tho your mileage may vary.

Wow, time to move on I think, this is getting weird.

Tuckahoe
02-04-2010, 17:02
My Dad thinks those are elegant. I'm with you grit-boy. Yuk.

So how's the weather there? State of panic? Any TP left on the store shelves?

ha ha ha ha "grit-boy." Now that's funny.:D

Now my dad likes Vienna sausages, and I am sure that I ate a few as a kid, but they are just nasty. But what is even more gut wrenching is the thought that someone would actually think up something like BBQ Vienna sausages. I'd eat instant grits first!

The weather is pretty good. It snowed here last Saturday, 1-30-10, and while we got a pretty good dumping of snow (here we finally topped out at 11 inches, not quite te 12-15 called for), it was almost as though it was a non-event. For one, the snow came on Saturday, when most folks were home. The museum I work at made the call early Friday to be closed on Saturday and Sunday. So not as many folks on the road. Atleast around here Williamsburg and James City County trucks were on the roads early as well along with VDoT. And finally the snow was really dry and powder. So we just didnt get the ice that normally comes with snow. Anyway, here was a thread I started with some photos I took around town -- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58238

Many Walks
02-04-2010, 19:58
my favorite on the trail http://ihatemymessageboard.com/2009/03/29/pork-brains-in-milk-gravy/

I usually get hungry reading food threads, but not tonight after looking at that! Thanks alot LW!!! :)

Dances with Mice
02-04-2010, 20:06
my favorite on the trail http://ihatemymessageboard.com/2009/03/29/pork-brains-in-milk-gravy/Milk gravy's wouldn't be bad, I guess, but they're best scrambled with eggs.

Never had the canned though. Fresh from the hog kill (http://lolzombie.com/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/297a633a741d5ef3326541c304223840.jpg) are best.

Potted meat product is just like Vienna sausage but much easier to spread on crackers.

Erin
02-05-2010, 01:21
I grew up with Vienna and the Kelly brand and loved them. They are a total disgusting mix of potted meat, lips and eye balls, but I will still eat them rarely and only rarely since they are sooo bad for me. It is a twisted thing I have. I will not eat meat from a box ever and will still eat a vienna sausage. Plain. Not BBQ. The Armour brand was awful as a kid. I am guessing way more lips and eyeballs than acceptable.
Thanks for the euprhorc recall.

Secret Squirrel
02-05-2010, 07:00
In the south (especially at Food Lion grocery store) one can get something called Penrose Hot Sausages. I think they are disgusting, but my wife loves them. I will say they do have more flavor than the Vienna Sausages.

Surplusman
02-05-2010, 07:54
Spam, vienna sausages, ramen noodles....they're all garbage. Backpacking is no excuse to eat that kind of crap. Sooner or later, you're gonna pay for it. You can be as "in shape" as you can be, but if you eat that kind of junk chances are you'll wind up with either a heart attack or a stroke. I know first hand.

off-pher
02-05-2010, 18:10
[QUOTE=Surplusman;964910]Spam, vienna sausages, ramen noodles....they're all garbage.
You are absolutely right with that statment!!!!!!!

MuffinMan11
02-05-2010, 18:32
Lone Wolfs post made me think about this song.

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/additem/787913745

left turn
02-09-2010, 10:20
i love Vienna sausages, but they are terrible for you. i only eat them when i am out on the trail and love every minute of it. i only the the original flavor

emerald
02-09-2010, 11:05
Rather than starve, I'd consider eating scrapple.

wudhipy
02-09-2010, 11:29
Good ole trail steak...wish I could find them in foil packaging...would make carrying out the trash a lot easier...:-?